Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Since the Colts acquired Joseph Blandisi, Athanasiou has been playing wing.

I actually prefer him on wing. Not because of what he can't do, but because of what he can. He loves flying down the wing and is very good at working the puck along the half wall. As a winger, he's better defensively as mistakes (like blowing his coverage or taking too long to read the play) tend to happen less often. I feel like wing works his strengths and hides his weaknesses. But the versatility is a great thing to have, especially the pro level. When he turns pro, he might become a centre as the more structured system might benefit him.

As for faceoffs I can't really say. OHL doesn't publish their faceoff stats and Athanasiou doesn't particularly shine in the dot. Even when he did play centre, quite often one of the wingers would take the draw.

Really valuable stuff, thanks for coming over to shed some light on Athanasiou.

Always appreciate fans of junior teams giving opinions on our prospects, since many of us don't have the chance to watch these guys as often as we'd like.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
Those numbers don't tell us much about the quality of the shots.

Exactly. I have seen goalies being beaten on like four of the first five shots and not being to blame for anything. Like when you have 2 2 on nones and then 2 redirected shots or so you can look bad statistically and still playing a strong game robbing guys on the next 5 shots....

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Any updates on FRK? He intrigues me because of his size and possible scoring ability. He just seems to lack drive, conditioning, and intensity.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Any updates on FRK? He intrigues me because of his size and possible scoring ability. He just seems to lack drive, conditioning, and intensity.

If you watch the Griffins games you know it is not drive he is lacking. The last 3 games especially he has been one of there best players, he just has horrible puck luck. He has went to the net, shot like crazy fought in the corners for pucks. Everything you want to see from a prospect. If he continues to play like that and his luck turns around he could end up on a crazy tear.:handclap:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you watch the Griffins games you know it is not drive he is lacking. The last 3 games especially he has been one of there best players, he just has horrible puck luck. He has went to the net, shot like crazy fought in the corners for pucks. Everything you want to see from a prospect. If he continues to play like that and his luck turns around he could end up on a crazy tear.:handclap:

It is nice to see him coming on but to answer one of his points I do think he was out of shape for a good portion of the season. This extended stay he is having in GR they seem to have drilled that into him. His shifts are getting longer and he has a little more zip in his step lately.

I think a part of it is he is finally getting comfortable in pro hockey and not thinking as much. I do hope he has a big off-season though as I think he was not prepared for this year.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Athanasiou with 2 more goals and an apple he was also +2
his totals currently are 30-33-63 in 42 games.
his 30th goal is a career high, he is only 4 points off his points high, which took him 66 games last year.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Is it Ath-an-a (like hey or age)-zhoo or Ath-an-as-zhoo? Ath-an-uh-see-you?

or any of the other ones? There are some pretty funny highlights where the PBP guy just gave up on saying his name.

I think it's this option. Having a couple of Greek friends with names ending with -siou, that's how they would pronounce it.

Try finding AA's profile clip on youtube...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig