Friedman: Red Wings interested in Calvin de Haan?

Baymen4

Oct 31, 2016
The best part of this joke offer is the implication that you wouldn't trade De Haan for the 9th OA if Tippett wasn't available.

don't know how thats a joke, de haan is clearly more valuable then any prospect that will be available at 9. could throw in a late round pick or a low level prospect, but think it's a fair offer considering de haans development age and contract status.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Maybe I'm missing something. Why would the Islanders trade for Nyquist to take 4.75M on their cap when they could sweeten the pot and get a superior player in Duchene for 6M. Both are UFAs in 2 years.

To be fair CDH should probably get 4 mil in his next contract so the salaries will end up being close enough. And yeah a deal involving Nyquist and de Haan is pretty fair, all in all. That said, Detroit posters prob don't know our biggest need is 2C.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
To be fair CDH should probably get 4 mil in his next contract so the salaries will end up being close enough. And yeah a deal involving Nyquist and de Haan is pretty fair, all in all. That said, Detroit posters prob don't know our biggest need is 2C.

...or that de Haan is one of the most underrated D-men in the league, and that they are typically harder to find.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There's solid players on every team that other fan bases really don't have any clue about. For the isles it's CDH. If you look at his stats you might not be wowed. I know plus minus can't be too telling but he gets some of the tough assignments and he's been a plus defender the last 3 years. I'm hope my he stays with the isles because o have a feeling his offense will increase with Weight as the coach. He's got the offensive capabilities imo to be a 40 point Defensman. He's so solid where it counts in his own end and he never panics when handling the puck in his own end while being pressured.

I honestly thought no the isles would be crazy to give him up unless they felt they were getting a huge upgrade in return.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
As a Wings fan I would absolutely love to get de Haan. I personally think he's underrated. I would definitely give up Nyquist for him.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Maybe I'm missing something. Why would the Islanders trade for Nyquist to take 4.75M on their cap when they could sweeten the pot and get a superior player in Duchene for 6M. Both are UFAs in 2 years.

Based on the rumored price Salic wants for Duchene it'd have to be a hell of a sweetener. The assets to get Nyquist are paltry compared to the truckload of assets you'd have to part with for Duchene.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
As a Wings fan I would absolutely love to get de Haan. I personally think he's underrated. I would definitely give up Nyquist for him.

Thanks for recognizing one of the underrated solid players in the NHL. De Haan is someone I'd personally like to keep, but his name has to be coming up in trade talks. That said as I mentioned earlier, if you're going to deal de Haan then you should use him as part of a deal to get something more substantial than Nyquist.

Based on the rumored price Salic wants for Duchene it'd have to be a hell of a sweetener. The assets to get Nyquist are paltry compared to the truckload of assets you'd have to part with for Duchene.

Yes - The Isles would have to add a "hell of a sweetener" and that's fine...To a point. I get the impression that Sakic is asking for the moon for Duchene because the team has gotten historically bad in the few years since he became GM. Plus he had the Ryan O'Reilly to deal with and that deal didn't go swimmingly for him.

I maintain that snow should offer Sakic a choice of the following (3) assets for Duchene:

Nelson
De Haan
Strome
Bellows
Dal Colle
2017 1st rounder

If Sakic isn't ok with trading Duchene for (3) of those assets, then snow should tell him there's no deal and move on. That doesn't mean move on to a de Haan/Nyquist deal. While the value is close, Nyquist doesn't help the Isles as much as de Haan does (and de Haan is harder to replace).

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Also as a Wings fan, I would give up Nyquist for him. We're not going to contend in the next 4 years, but having a solid D-man as a piece for 5 years and forward is perfect. Nyquist should not be part of our future in 5 years, so the deal makes perfect sense for both sides, IMO.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I haven't read this whole thread, but I've looked at the NYI roster and feel that Snow is either
A) doing nothing and then tossing a pick to Vegas to grab someone like Hickey or Chimera as opposed to likelier candidates Hamonic, de Haan, Nelson and Strome.
or
B) moving several of those four, if not all of them.

de Haan is a guy who is a top flight #4 at worst. And like some say, he's looking like a breakout player very soon.

Nelson looked good at times working with Larkin and is generally a player who I could see Detroit having lots of interest in.

I'd suggest something a bit bigger. What do Red Wings fans say?
de Haan and Nelson
for
Nyquist, Hronek, and picks 69 & 100

No one likes to give up picks or heady prospects, but both Nelson and de Haan have plenty of years ahead of them, don't break the bank and each has more productive upside.

For the Isles, fans don't necessarily want to see these players go, but then Snow would be protecting Nyquist as opposed to both Nelson and de Haan while hopefully getting a future de Haan in Hronek and adding a few midround possibilities to the slight 5 picks he currently has.

Just a thought...

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I don't imagine you'll get very favorable responses to moving Hronek, at this point. While De Haan would be nice, I'd be loathe to give up a promising 19 year old D prospect for him and yet another forward.

Really, I wouldn't give up any of our prospects for reasonable-return over-25 players right now, but I'm on the "this isn't and shouldn't be a playoff team next year" side of things.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I don't imagine you'll get very favorable responses to moving Hronek, at this point. While De Haan would be nice, I'd be loathe to give up a promising 19 year old D prospect for him and yet another forward.

Really, I wouldn't give up any of our prospects for reasonable-return over-25 players right now, but I'm on the "this isn't and shouldn't be a playoff team next year" side of things.

I think most Detroit fans feel this way, however, I can see Holland doing the opposite. I don't think we should be moving our prospects unless we are doing it to acquire higher end prospects through packages.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I haven't read this whole post, but I've looked at the NYI roster and feel that Snow is either
A) doing nothing and then tossing a pick to Vegas to grab someone like Hickey or Chimera as opposed to likelier candidates Hamonic, de Haan, Nelson and Strome.
or

de Haan is a guy who is a top flight #4 at worst. And like some say, he's looking like a breakout player very soon.

Nelson looked good at times working with Larkin and is generally a player who I could see Detroit having lots of interest in.

de Haan and Nelson
for

No one likes to give up picks or heady prospects, but both Nelson and de Haan have plenty of years ahead of them, don't break the bank and each has more productive upside.

For the Isles, fans don't necessarily want to see these players go, but then Snow would be protecting Nyquist as opposed to both Nelson and de Haan while hopefully getting a future de Haan in Hronek and adding a few midround possibilities to the slight 5 picks he currently has.

Just a thought...

Not interested in Nelson Nyquist in slightly more games has about 53 more points then Nelson. Not giving up a young promising D man in Hronek in this package Nyquist is worth a mid 1st so that's like Detroit giving up a Mid 1st+2nd+3rd+4th round pick for DeHaan and Nelson no thanks Wouldn't mind DeHaan but not at this cost.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think most Detroit fans feel this way, however, I can see Holland doing the opposite. I don't think we should be moving our prospects unless we are doing it to acquire higher end prospects through packages.

Yeah, I think my knee jerk reaction is that Holland would sell just about anything to get back into the playoffs (especially if it involves taking on mediocre, old players), but if I'm being a realist, I'm not sure he'd send out any of the 3 defensemen we have. Mantha or AA? Sure, but I can't imagine moving one of the 3 defensemen for anything less than a true top pairing guy. I don't think De Haan fits that bill at all.

DrTucker

Jan 29, 2015
Halifax
bozak is in fact not our man

Oh come on, you know you want him. :sarcasm:

All jokes aside, if he had more term he would be a solid 2nd line center for the Islanders. Obviously not the ideal center but certainly one who would help more than he'd hurt.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
I haven't read this whole post, but I've looked at the NYI roster and feel that Snow is either
or

Just a thought...
de Haan and Nelson
for

Counter would be de Haan + Strome + 46 OA
for
Nyquist + Saarijarvi + 40 OA + 100 OA

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
de Haan and Nelson
for

Counter would be de Haan + Strome + 46 OA
for
Nyquist + Saarijarvi + 40 OA + 100 OA

Interesting...

I don't think Snow would do it.

But I could imagine that Saarijarvi instead of Hronek in the originally suggested deal would still be enticing for Snow.

And somehow, I can see Holland being much, much more interested in Nelson than Strome anyways.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yes - The Isles would have to add a "hell of a sweetener" and that's fine...To a point. I get the impression that Sakic is asking for the moon for Duchene because the team has gotten historically bad in the few years since he became GM. Plus he had the Ryan O'Reilly to deal with and that deal didn't go swimmingly for him.

I maintain that snow should offer Sakic a choice of the following (3) assets for Duchene:

Nelson
De Haan
Strome
Bellows
Dal Colle
2017 1st rounder

If Sakic isn't ok with trading Duchene for (3) of those assets, then snow should tell him there's no deal and move on. That doesn't mean move on to a de Haan/Nyquist deal. While the value is close, Nyquist doesn't help the Isles as much as de Haan does (and de Haan is harder to replace).

Not to derail the thread, but I like the claim that trading a pending UFA who was unlikely to sign an extension in Denver for futures that are developing nicely somehow didn't go swimmingly. I think most people familiar with the ROR situation in Colorado would make that trade again in a heartbeat.

As for Duchene, I'd be OK with something around CDH + someone on your list + 1st. I'd probably want Bellows, but Dal Colle isn't a bad option either. And we could possibly get Cal Foote at 15, which would be a feel good move.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
is it reasonable to think the isles would protect 5 defensemen in the 8 skaters/1 goalie format? i may be in the minority, but i'd see boychuk/leddy/hamonic/de haan/pulock as 5 guys i would want to keep and would prefer losing 1 of strome or nelson.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
is it reasonable to think the isles would protect 5 defensemen in the 8 skaters/1 goalie format? i may be in the minority, but i'd see boychuk/leddy/hamonic/de haan/pulock as 5 guys i would want to keep and would prefer losing 1 of strome or nelson.

That is how most of us think it will go down. I can't imagine a scenerio where they don't protect Calvin de Haan. it probably comes down to which one of Pulock, Nelson, Strome do they want to protect.

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida

most of us agree with that as well. staple said that he think's we'll go 4-4 protecting nelson, but he thinks there's a good case for de haan as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad