Friedman: Red Wings interested in Calvin de Haan?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
To make it would more interesting :

Nyquist (4.7M) + Ouellet (0.715M) + 2017 3rd (highest one, we have three) for Nelson (2.5M) + de Haan (1.9M).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
To make it would more interesting :

Nyquist (4.7M) + Ouellet (0.715M) + 2017 3rd (highest one, we have three) for Nelson (2.5M) + de Haan (1.9M).

This is bad for NYI.

The difference between Nelson and Nyquist is much smaller than de Haan.

Ouellet and a 3rd does nothing for NYI to be frank.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Having interest and actually being able to pull off a trade for a top 4 D are two totally different things.

Having interest is the easy part. The stars have to align almost perfectly for Detroit to be able accomplish the latter. Right now, IMO, unless Larkin and/or Mantha is offered up, I don't think Detroit has the horses to acquire a top 4 without any prior baggage in some degree.

I agree.

NYI will not sell low on de Haan, whom they spent a bunch on acquiring via the draft and developing only to sell him off for quantity.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
This is bad for NYI.

The difference between Nelson and Nyquist is much smaller than de Haan.

Ouellet and a 3rd does nothing for NYI to be frank.

Thanks for the feedback. A Nyquist for Nelson swap, with a small + going DET's way, would be a more feasible trade. But for de Haan, would a pick be sufficient?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. A Nyquist for Nelson swap, with a small + going DET's way, would be a more feasible trade. But for de Haan, would a pick be sufficient?

Nyquist for Nelson + probably wouldn't be very attractive to NYI either to be honest. Nelson is making 2.5M per through next season, can play all three forward positions, and is a RFA after his current contract is up.

Nyquist is more expensive and is a UFA after his current contract is up.

If NYI is trading de Haan, it's going to be for a legitimate top six centerman. I would be utterly shocked if they traded him for anything else, well except for an NHLer who is exempt from the expansion draft (i.e. Larkin), and we all know that would be laughable for Detroit.

NYI has defenseman to offer, and Detroit has the need, but Detroit doesn't really have what NYI is looking for.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Nyquist for Nelson + probably wouldn't be very attractive to NYI either to be honest. Nelson is making 2.5M per through next season, can play all three forward positions, and is a RFA after his current contract is up.

Nyquist is more expensive and is a UFA after his current contract is up.

If NYI is trading de Haan, it's going to be for a legitimate top six centerman. I would be utterly shocked if they traded him for anything else, well except for an NHLer who is exempt from the expansion draft (i.e. Larkin), and we all know that would be laughable for Detroit.

NYI has defenseman to offer, and Detroit has the need, but Detroit doesn't really have what NYI is looking for.

It feels great to have a civil discussion on a subject that gets tainted by passion most often times than not. Thanks for the feedback.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If Nyquist or Tatar can't get it done, then de Haan isn't coming to Detroit.

Can't afford to trade young players, they have so few decent ones.

I mean, the thing is that there is a serious shortage of teams looking to trade young top-4 defensemen and acquire forwards. It's us, likely Carolina, and a bunch of maybes.

If you want a young top-4 defenseman without giving up decent young players, it's what people told Oiler fans for years before they traded Hall for Larsson: best of luck getting that kind of deal elsewhere.

Pulling an Eberle with Nyquist and Tatar - not meaning to compare the players but making more of a general "and here are the forwards we'll trade to get a top-4 defenseman" - all that's gonna do is leave you watching when a team willing to pony up their Ryan Johansen gets the Seth Jones, posting "well this proves RNH can get someone as good as Seth Jones" on your team's forums.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I mean, the thing is that there is a serious shortage of teams looking to trade young top-4 defensemen and acquire forwards. It's us, likely Carolina, and a bunch of maybes.

If you want a young top-4 defenseman without giving up decent young players, it's what people told Oiler fans for years before they traded Hall for Larsson: best of luck getting that kind of deal elsewhere.

Pulling an Eberle with Nyquist and Tatar - not meaning to compare the players but making more of a general "and here are the forwards we'll trade to get a top-4 defenseman" - all that's gonna do is leave you watching when a team willing to pony up their Ryan Johansen gets the Seth Jones, posting "well this proves RNH can get someone as good as Seth Jones" on your team's forums.

I feel 100% confident to say on behalf of all Wings fans that literally no one is expecting a Jones caliber player for Gus or Tatar.

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
You forgot this:sarcasm: Nyquist+9th OA pick for De Haan+2nd+2018 1st (top 3 protection) Holland would and should be fired if he made that offer.
Would it be better if it was
9, Nyquist
For
De Haan, 14, 2018 first (top 5 protected)
Cause nyi would not accept that, the first one seems pretty close

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The best part of this joke offer is the implication that you wouldn't trade De Haan for the 9th OA if Tippett wasn't available.

The one thing the trade market has proven these past years is that any team looking to acquire a young minute-eating defenseman always gets one at extremely affordable prices. No shortage of teams looking to deal far better defenders than DeHaan to get that 9th overall pick.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

I agree. Its just that Detroit isn't in a position to acquire said talent, unless it's for one of those two players.

Not a knock on de Haan.

Detroit just doesn't have that many valueable assets.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Maybe I'm missing something. Why would the Islanders trade for Nyquist to take 4.75M on their cap when they could sweeten the pot and get a superior player in Duchene for 6M. Both are UFAs in 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad