Friedman: Red Wings interested in Calvin de Haan?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Whoever gets Calvin De Haan is about to get a D on the verge of a big breakout year. hell be a major steal

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If NYI trades de Haan (which in my opinion would be a mistake) to prevent from losing him to the expansion draft, then I would have to think they do an 8-1 and protect Tavares, Ladd (NMC), Lee, Nelson?, Leddy, Boychuk (NMC), Hamonic, and Pulock.

I might be off base, but wouldn't they be looking to trade him for an exempt asset(s)?

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Whoever gets Calvin De Haan is about to get a D on the verge of a big breakout year. hell be a major steal

He's not on a verge of a breakout. He's been this solid for awhile but doesn't get credit because he's quietly steady. Funny dude, too.

Anyway I'd rather include him in a Duchene or Drouin trade but fans of those teams don't seem too enthusiastic about it bc again, he's not very exciting and he's in his mid 20s so what you see is what you get. Glad he's getting some attention at the World Championships though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Nothing against Nyquist, but how does that solve NYI's expansion draft problem?

Hypothetically Nyquist + for de Haan...

NYI protects

Tavares
Ladd (NMC)
Lee
Nyquist
Leddy
Boychuk (NMC)
Hamonic
Pulock
Greiss

They lose Nelson or Cizikas

or

NYI protects

Tavares
Ladd (NMC)
Lee
Nyquist
Nelson
Cizikas
Strome
Leddy
Boychuk (NMC)
Hamonic

They lose Pulock

In either situation, they are essentially trading de Haan and Pulock or Nelson/Cizikas for whatever the return is from Detroit. Seems like poor asset management to me.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
it is mind boggling if the Islanders are going to allow de Haan to walk, in reality they should be looking to trade Hamonic and protect de Haan

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
If i'm the Isles, I'm protecting him in the expansion draft.

One of the steady guys that doesn't get any credit, but can play top line minutes.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
it is mind boggling if the Islanders are going to allow de Haan to walk, in reality they should be looking to trade Hamonic and protect de Haan

It would be the gutsier trade but bc of that whole "heart and soul" thing I don't think Garth would do it.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
What would NYI want from Toronto? Admittedly I don't know CDH's game so I don't know his value.

But I see "defense" and "good" and I want lol.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
What would NYI want from Toronto? Admittedly I don't know CDH's game so I don't know his value.

But I see "defense" and "good" and I want lol.

As far as value goes, probably Stralman before people realized that he's really solid. Quiet, PMD who doesn't put up many points but gets the job done.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Probably Kapanen, Snow will want a expansion exempt player more then likely.

If the return is Kapanen, I would think Garth offers Pulock. Two players who have done well in the AHL but haven't shown much in the NHL yet.

Putting all this aside though, the Isles' greatest need is at 2C. I'd rather include de Haan or Hamonic in a package to get that, instead of a winger like Nyquist or Kapanen.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If the return is Kapanen, I would think Garth offers Pulock. Two players who have done well in the AHL but haven't shown much in the NHL yet.

Putting all this aside though, the Isles' greatest need is at 2C. I'd rather include de Haan or Hamonic in a package to get that, instead of a winger like Nyquist or Kapanen.

I don't think Garth would offer Pulock for Kapanen.

NYI has too many young forwards coming through the system now (Barzal, Beauvillier, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang). They can't ice 3-4 inexperienced prospects at the NHL level at the same time.

I like Kapanen, but there's just no room. NYI needs a proven forward who can provide 50+ points without playing with Tavares.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
What does Winnipeg have that they could trade the Isles for De Haan while also taking Halak off your hands to free up some more CAP space?

Would something like:

Petan+2017 1st (13OA)+Lemieux+Hutchinson (used as expansion requirement or just a cheaper backup for the AHL or NHL)

for
De Haan + Halak and WPG will deal with the expansion issue that creates further for them

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't think Garth would offer Pulock for Kapanen.

NYI has too many young forwards coming through the system now (Barzal, Beauvillier, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang). They can't ice 3-4 inexperienced prospects at the NHL level at the same time.

I like Kapanen, but there's just no room. NYI needs a proven forward who can provide 50+ points without playing with Tavares.

I should have clarified that I don't think it happens or makes sense for the Isles, but that's the proper value. de Haan, as a top 4 d-man in his prime, should be worth a lot more than Kapanen. Pulock, who hasn't succeeded in the NHL, is closer in value.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
What does Winnipeg have that they could trade the Isles for De Haan while also taking Halak off your hands to free up some more CAP space?

Would something like:

Petan+2017 1st (13OA)+Lemieux+Hutchinson (used as expansion requirement or just a cheaper backup for the AHL or NHL)

for
De Haan + Halak and WPG will deal with the expansion issue that creates further for them

Garth's dumbest move was running with three goalies and then sending Halak down because he was unhappy about it. I think he tries to keep both for this season.

Not really interested in anyone from Winnipeg who might be available, sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad