Red Wings hire Disco Dan Bylsma as assistant coach

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I get that. I don't usually talk hockey w/non-hockey playing people because I've found most (and even then, many of them) don't 'see it' the same way I do. So, whatever. But anyone who sees I'm a Penguins fan *must* go out of their way to tell me that Crosby is a *****, this, that, etc. Good thing I don't care what they think or it wouldn't be so hilarious.

Aside from my wife who was at the big fight night game vs. the Avs, I'm not sure I ever heard anyone mention "Lemieux" in the 10 years I've been here, except my mother-in-law who saw my Mario jersey and wondered why I had a Claude jersey - lol

Claude Lemieux has been out of the league for a decade, why would anyone still be talking about that? Also, the Wings got more than their fair share of revenge against him, McCarty saw to that, whereas Crosby is still elite and beating up on the Wings. Not too difficult to figure that one out.

I do love the Crosby persecution complex, though. You have a great player, just enjoy him. You live in a rival team's city, of course they're going disagree with you, how is that remotely surprising?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yeah, John Torchetti is the best option when you want a interim from your bench. It could have been his 4rd time.
Yes because he did so amazing with the PP, leading them to be 24th and 27th best. Almost impossible to find a better assistant.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Claude Lemieux has been out of the league for a decade, why would anyone still be talking about that? Also, the Wings got more than their fair share of revenge against him, McCarty saw to that, whereas Crosby is still elite and beating up on the Wings. Not too difficult to figure that one out.

I do love the Crosby persecution complex, though. You have a great player, just enjoy him. You live in a rival team's city, of course they're going disagree with you, how is that remotely surprising?

There are plenty of people who still talk of the old days. It's neither surprising nor unsurprising either way, but my comment was in response to someone saying Red Wings fans as a whole *don't* talk/care about the Penguins or their fans. That's just not even close to being accurate.

And I do enjoy him being on my favorite team, don't worry. I truly don't care about getting flak either, it's simply funny.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There are plenty of people who still talk of the old days. It's neither surprising nor unsurprising either way, but my comment was in response to someone saying Red Wings fans as a whole *don't* talk/care about the Penguins or their fans. That's just not even close to being accurate.

And I do enjoy him being on my favorite team, don't worry. I truly don't care about getting flak either, it's simply funny.

I find it surprising how much some of the fanbase hates the Pens. Having a strong opinion on Crosby isn't surprising to me. When you're a front-line player in the league it sparks generally at least some opinion on a player because of how prominently they are put out there by the NHL. It's funny for as bland a superstar and reportedly all world nice guy off the ice, that Crosby is as polarizing as he is. A lot of people though refuse to embrace a golden boy, I have never been a huge fan of Crosby, but certainly not commenting on people walking around with his jersey, that's pretty absurd and I am sorry it happens to you in Detroit.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
To me, it seems like Crosby hate in Detroit only comes from those salty Walmart Wolverine/MSU casual fan types that think every sports team needs to have some overhyped villain. I'm sure every fan base has them.

I once commented in a Detroit Free Press Facebook post relating to Crosby that I'd happily take him on the Red Wings any day of the week, and the reaction was like I went to JLA (at the time) and ripped down Yzermans number from the rafters, or abruptly told a 4 year old that Santa doesn't exist on 12/24 at 8PM. The responses were as cringey as the excuses Walmart Wolverines make for the continued failure of Jim Harbaugh...

Reactions: Ozz

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
He didn't embarrass Mike Babcock.
First of all the schedule for the Finals was odd with multiple back-to-back games (check this year finals with 3-day lulls)
And Detroit was totally depleted, Datsyuk was skating on one leg, Franzen skated with a concussion. So, if Detroit had a half-healthy lineup and had a couple of more days rest - they would have repeated.
NHL was desperated to shove the "golden boy" down everyones throats.
gif_db_holla.gif

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To me, it seems like Crosby hate in Detroit only comes from those salty Walmart Wolverine/MSU casual fan types that think every sports team needs to have some overhyped villain. I'm sure every fan base has them.

I once commented in a Detroit Free Press Facebook post relating to Crosby that I'd happily take him on the Red Wings any day of the week, and the reaction was like I went to JLA (at the time) and ripped down Yzermans number from the rafters, or abruptly told a 4 year old that Santa doesn't exist on 12/24 at 8PM. The responses were as cringey as the excuses Walmart Wolverines make for the continued failure of Jim Harbaugh...

U of M has some atrocious fans that fit this bill as well. Yes some of them also graduated there too. :laugh:

Sorry man but my sister a U of M Alumni always tries this little sneak attack. All of MSU fans and Walmart Wolvies are to blame how convenient to leave that Alumni group out...:skeptic:

The most disgusting experiences I have had as a fan took place at the Big House and Lions games. They are horrible in terms of fan behavior.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What a fall from Grace for the Wings the last few years.

From winning cups, with GOalies like Hasek, D like Lidstrom, Forwards like Yzerman, Datysuk, Federov to Coaches like Babcock.

To no equivalent of any of those players, no good coach, a new pizza arena (I liked the Joe), the deaths of Probert, Goride Howe and there owner Illitch.

There playoff streak came to an end and traded Mrzaek for nothing (I think I can't remember but I felt he was okay)

Also...,..

Once Coach Blashill called Anthony Mantha out publically (I thought WHY, I mean publically why, he's a kid and he was getting almost point per game) he had like 18 or 19 GOals and 30 pts in his first 35ish games. I think he got only a few more goals and literally 5-10 pts or less the rest of the way.

Surely Dan Bylsma is going to fix this issue.

This sucks for the Wings, just after I thought they had one hell of a draft,

Last edited:

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

How is Crosby beating up on the Wings? Met in the playoffs twice and split.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He was hired to help the PP. Hes ran good PPs in the past and has head coaching experience including a cup win. I'm sure all you being over dramatic will forget hes even in Detroit by the time the season starts

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010

I can agree with that. The days are gone now, but not long ago the Wings used to be the universally hated team - that is what sustained success does. I loved some of the salty tears that would ensue, I'm sure you do as well!

You are correct, many Wings fans still have a bad taste in their mouth about that series, but to me that's what makes rivalries fun. I'm guessing you living in Detroit as a Pens fans skews things and makes the hate seem even more extreme.

Back on topic:

Its just an assistant coach, people! Relax!

Reactions: Ozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad