Red Wings hire Disco Dan Bylsma as assistant coach

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I hope you guys are never not mad at that series and with the boat load of excuses. We rarely, if ever, think about Wings fans, but boy do you guys hate us a ton.

I hope you continue to generalize the entire fan base based off of a few extreme fans’ views. We rarely think about Pens fans either, don’t hurt yourself getting off that high horse.

Reactions: Oddbob

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
We have no reason to forget the odd way that series played out and why would we. It was said in the buildup to the series, they screamed it from the roof tops as did most Detroit fans. It isn't even hindsight it was flat out bs. Nothing like that schedule has happened in the history of the league. Playing the first three games like that has never happened ever in the 100 year history of the league. Moving the series that close to it is something the league has done once because of WWII.

There is no reason for Wings fans to forgive that. The Pens won it, that is their championship. I don't expect you not to celebrate it. But why would our fanbase forgive the league for doing something unprecedented that damaged our team significantly. The answer here is we won't, well at least most of us won't. I know I won't until they put me in the ground. I do think Babcock got beat as bad as anyone on the finish line but we are running a different race if the NHL honors their own schedules announced and when changing it doesn't do something incredibly bizarre.

I don't know what your fanbase doesn't need to get over, I don't really care. But Detroit fans certainly don't need to swallow that ****.
Eh we lost fair and square. I think you need to give this up along with a few others.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I hope Detroit received a tax write-off for hiring Danny Byslma for charitable purposes.

Reactions: LarKing

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We have no reason to forget the odd way that series played out and why would we. It was said in the buildup to the series, they screamed it from the roof tops as did most Detroit fans. It isn't even hindsight it was flat out bs. Nothing like that schedule has happened in the history of the league. Playing the first three games like that has never happened ever in the 100 year history of the league. Moving the series that close to it is something the league has done once because of WWII.

There is no reason for Wings fans to forgive that. The Pens won it, that is their championship. I don't expect you not to celebrate it. But why would our fanbase forgive the league for doing something unprecedented that damaged our team significantly. The answer here is we won't, well at least most of us won't. I know I won't until they put me in the ground. I do think Babcock got beat as bad as anyone on the finish line but we are running a different race if the NHL honors their own schedules announced and when changing it doesn't do something incredibly bizarre.

I don't know what your fanbase doesn't need to get over, I don't really care. But Detroit fans certainly don't need to swallow that ****.
right. We need to get over stuff.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

You could start a new brand of wine with amount of grapes in this post.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Eh we lost fair and square. I think you need to give this up along with a few others.

That's the beauty of opinions we are all allowed to have them. You can feel that way but I am certainly not required to. The NHL did something completely out of the norm. I don't forgive them for that and I won't. I don't expect the Pens fans or organization to care. They weren't at fault. But I also don't think it should be swept under the rug. If you want to make jokes about it or whatever else that is the response you're going to get from me. Babcock opened his press conference to the finals calling out the decision it isn't a hindsight or sour grapes thing. It has always been a story to a series that should have been a heavyweight tilt rematch that was robbed of being as good as it should have been by a very curious league decision on the schedule.

It is a part of the narrative no matter how much some want to erase it. It did happen after all. No matter how often people try to cleanse that from the lens this series has, it will always be there for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: newfy and KJoe88

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I assume by this thread that people think Detroit had amazing assistant coaches before this?
Yeah, John Torchetti is the best option when you want a interim from your bench. It could have been his 4rd time.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You could start a new brand of wine with amount of grapes in this post.

Which part of it is false? Seriously which part? I will wait because that is the sequence of events that actually happened. I love how it is dismissed whenever it is brought up. The issue is with the league not your franchise in terms of the general point.

I don't need to be told on what my opinion should be on a crummy league decision. Especially by the fanbase that gained the advantage from the decision. I guess that you wish it never happened but it did. The rarity of what played out suggests unfortunately only one fanbase has to know what this feels like.

But cool take, really well thought out, you totally convinced me that what happened didn't actually happen.:sarcasm:

Reactions: H3ckt1k and KJoe88

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
That's the beauty of opinions we are all allowed to have them. You can feel that way but I am certainly not required to. The NHL did something completely out of the norm. I don't forgive them for that and I won't. I don't expect the Pens fans or organization to care. They weren't at fault. But I also don't think it should be swept under the rug. If you want to make jokes about it or whatever else that is the response you're going to get from me. Babcock opened his press conference to the finals calling out the decision it isn't a hindsight or sour grapes thing. It has always been a story to a series that should have been a heavyweight tilt rematch that was robbed of being as good as it should have been by a very curious league decision on the schedule.

It is a part of the narrative no matter how much some want to erase it. It did happen after all. No matter how often people try to cleanse that from the lens this series has, it will always be there for some.

You’re right, you can have your opinion of course. But that also means others can have the opinion that yours is ridiculous.

I’m saying it for your own interest too. It’s much easier to just let it go and admit the Pens deserved to win.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You’re right, you can have your opinion of course. But that also means others can have the opinion that yours is ridiculous.

I’m saying it for your own interest too. It’s much easier to just let it go and admit the Pens deserved to win.

The Pens deserved to win, they didn't screw up the schedule the league did. But it absolutely had an impact on that series in my opinion. The Pens played a great series, but one I will contend has a different outcome if the original schedule was followed through on.

I am allowed to feel that way, I don't call Pittsburgh a fraudulent Cup winner or anything. They have the banner and can claim the achievement. But I don't have to get over the way it happened. It doesn't impact me except when asked to remember it, then it is one of those annoying memories you can have about something. That is how I feel about what the league did, I hated it at the time and as time passed I have become no more fond of it.

Again I said one of the keys to that series was an adjustment by our now assistant coach. One that you often see deployed against Babcock's system when he has been thwarted in the playoffs. Their center-iceman made deep defensive drops during the breakout and the Wings struggled to adjust to that in the last two games for tracks of time in each and it cost them. But I think a healthier group controls the play more.

Reactions: H3ckt1k and KJoe88

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Its just an assistant coach, you people are so dramatic.

As far as assistant coaches go, chances are hes better than whichever nobody guy your team has.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it always amuses me how much hate this guy gets for someone that's essentially a Babcock-lite

does Babcock do it a bit better? sure,but they are a lot more similar than people want to think

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I hope you continue to generalize the entire fan base based off of a few extreme fans’ views. We rarely think about Pens fans either, don’t hurt yourself getting off that high horse.

I'm a Pens fan living in the Detroit area and booooooooooooy do they love to hate the Penguins by all accounts I can offer. Sure most are more extreme than others, and many are hockey fans overall and shrug their shoulders as I prefer to do, but you'd think we're talking about the Avs in the late '90s with a lot of people.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
He didn't embarrass Mike Babcock.
First of all the schedule for the Finals was odd with multiple back-to-back games (check this year finals with 3-day lulls)
And Detroit was totally depleted, Datsyuk was skating on one leg, Franzen skated with a concussion. So, if Detroit had a half-healthy lineup and had a couple of more days rest - they would have repeated.
NHL was desperated to shove the "golden boy" down everyones throats.

Whine whine whine

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'm a Pens fan living in the Detroit area and booooooooooooy do they love to hate the Penguins by all accounts I can offer. Sure most are more extreme than others, and many are hockey fans overall and shrug their shoulders as I prefer to do, but you'd think we're talking about the Avs in the late '90s with a lot of people.

Same here- surrounded by Wings fans around here and they are obsessed with Sid Crosby. And I mean OBSESSED.
I think they hate him more than C Lemieux, it's that bad.
He makes their blood boil and I love seeing him stomp all over their team when he comes to town. It is glorious

Reactions: Filip Zadina

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In all fairness to Bylsma, he didn't really get much of a chance in Buffalo, and quite frankly they sucked last year without him, and ROR admitted that the team has somewhat embraced a losing attitude, so doesn't sound like a coaching issue to me, but certain members of the playing roster are the issue there. That and he is only an assistant coach, to a coach in the final year of an already too long 4 year contract. Very likely they completely clean house at seasons end.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Sabre fans were convinced that all they had to do was replace Bylsma last offseason and the team would compete for a playoff spot.

Well they replaced him and they were worse, in fact dead last worse.

Not saying he is great, just saying I don't believe he is nearly as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Same here- surrounded by Wings fans around here and they are obsessed with Sid Crosby. And I mean OBSESSED.
I think they hate him more than C Lemieux, it's that bad.
He makes their blood boil and I love seeing him stomp all over their team when he comes to town. It is glorious

I get that. I don't usually talk hockey w/non-hockey playing people because I've found most (and even then, many of them) don't 'see it' the same way I do. So, whatever. But anyone who sees I'm a Penguins fan *must* go out of their way to tell me that Crosby is a bitch, this, that, etc. Good thing I don't care what they think or it wouldn't be so hilarious.

Aside from my wife who was at the big fight night game vs. the Avs, I'm not sure I ever heard anyone mention "Lemieux" in the 10 years I've been here, except my mother-in-law who saw my Mario jersey and wondered why I had a Claude jersey - lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad