Red Wings hire Disco Dan Bylsma as assistant coach

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Buffalo imploded soon as he left. Clearly a very good coach. Great hire for wings.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
People love to make fun of him, despite winning a Stanley Cup and embarrassing Mike Babcock in the Finals.
He didn't embarrass Mike Babcock.
First of all the schedule for the Finals was odd with multiple back-to-back games (check this year finals with 3-day lulls)
And Detroit was totally depleted, Datsyuk was skating on one leg, Franzen skated with a concussion. So, if Detroit had a half-healthy lineup and had a couple of more days rest - they would have repeated.
NHL was desperated to shove the "golden boy" down everyones throats.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominikBokkFan

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
First of all the schedule for the Finals was odd with multiple back-to-back games (check this year finals with 3-day lulls)
And Detroit was totally depleted, Datsyuk was skating on one leg, Franzen skated with a concussion. So, if Detroit had a half-healthy lineup and had a couple of more days rest - they would have repeated.
That finals schedule was ridicolous

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Bylsma actually does a pretty good job of wringing acceptable performances out of lineups that are full of grinders. However, that is his only upside as an NHL coach. He is an abysmal tactician and refuses to make adjustments mid-game no matter what. As an assistant coach, I guess the damage he can inflict will be limited, anyway.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I mean yea, he’s a friggin schmuck, but he’s good at coaching awful fourth line players. Plus, how much damage can an assistant coach really do?

If you want to tank, he’ll certainly help them with that. It’s sad someone like Dan gets another shot at coaching in the league.

Perfect for Detroit then

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh

i enjoyed the 2nd paragraph. thank you.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Haters aside, he's a guy that can be a great coach, he has some good systems, but he's a guy that also needs to be humbled like no tomorrow. Being fired twice and not having a head coaching job apparently finally did it. It's rather unfortunate it has to be behind an even worse coach, but Dan should really be an Assistant for at least a few years before he's a head coach again, he skipped that part in his coaching path.

People are going to joke about this, but the guy as an assistant would actually be decent, I think most fellow Pens fans thought he'd be good as an assistant coach too but then Buffalo went and hired him as a HC which was like, what?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I hope you guys are never not mad at that series and with the boat load of excuses. We rarely, if ever, think about Wings fans, but boy do you guys hate us a ton.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This thread is hilarious, he is an assistant coach. One that helped Blashill a lot during the recent World Championships. It is a good hire.

I mean I know it has been bumpy since he helped guide a team to a Stanley Cup, but keep in mind Bylsma is the first guy to deep drop his center in the middle of the ice for breakouts to break Babcock's defensive system. He found that move that Coach Q and Cooper would use later in their careers to overcome trailing in a series against Babcock teams. He isn't an idiot. He isn't a perfect coach by any means, but I don't understand pretending he knows nothing about the game because that is false. He is certainly a nice addition as an assistant.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope you guys are never not mad at that series and with the boat load of excuses. We rarely, if ever, think about Wings fans, but boy do you guys hate us a ton.

We have no reason to forget the odd way that series played out and why would we. It was said in the buildup to the series, they screamed it from the roof tops as did most Detroit fans. It isn't even hindsight it was flat out bs. Nothing like that schedule has happened in the history of the league. Playing the first three games like that has never happened ever in the 100 year history of the league. Moving the series that close to it is something the league has done once because of WWII.

There is no reason for Wings fans to forgive that. The Pens won it, that is their championship. I don't expect you not to celebrate it. But why would our fanbase forgive the league for doing something unprecedented that damaged our team significantly. The answer here is we won't, well at least most of us won't. I know I won't until they put me in the ground. I do think Babcock got beat as bad as anyone on the finish line but we are running a different race if the NHL honors their own schedules announced and when changing it doesn't do something incredibly bizarre.

I don't know what your fanbase doesn't need to get over, I don't really care. But Detroit fans certainly don't need to swallow that ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad