Speculation: Red Wings have reached out to Vanek, Filppula

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Let's sign Fil and Huds and use them as a way to drum up ticket sales (remember these Stanley Cup champs, fans?), then watch the team fail even harder and get a nice high draft pick out of it.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What the hell is wrong with Holland?
Holland just cant help himself at this point

Wing fans at least Cleary and Bertuzzi aren't still around for him to bring back
Ken Holland is probably flipping through his rolodex to see what other relics from the past he can scrounge up.

What are Jiri Hudler and Ville Leino up to these days?
It's interesting that he actually hasn't managed to become extinct before some of these players did.

Holland really should have ''Retired'' or ''Stepped down'' from the GM position after this past season and took on another role in the organization. Instead, they give him a two year contract extension to continue on as GM.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Rinse, repeat.

Holland is approaching some of the worst GMs in the league. He is just so stale.

Because they're potentially interested in signing a veteran forward on a low-term contract? The team is going to be very different in 2-3 years and they have set themselves up nicely for a rebuild.

Reactions: lilidk

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Filppula’s cooked.

Filppula has nothing left in the tank. For our sake, I hope Detroit signs him. Don't allow Hextall the option.

giphy.gif

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No he would just be blocking them from making the team which is equally dumb.
Tbh if Filip Zadina or Michael Rasmussen couldn't outplay a 34 year old Filppula for a job why would we be bothered about them not making the team?

Anyway, Holland is the master tire kicker and people never learn. There were rumors he was interested in Kovalchuk and Jack Johnson but that clearly didn't materialize. Reports are they are sticking to a max offer of 2 years for Green. It sounds like Filppula would get 1 year at most, and perhaps only if they get bad news on Z.
Having backup plans for your backup plans is just good GM'ing. Not every kid will come into camp and be NHL ready. Not every veteran will be healthy. Not everyone will be so anxious to sign with Detroit that they will take less money and term to do so.

Reactions: JoesuffP

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
The premise is Fil would only be signed if Z chose not to return, a short term security blanket so a kid like Rasmussen isn't forced into a role he isn't ready for.

We already have enough veterans and centers to insulate him. It is stupid to waste the roster spot on Flip Flop

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Tbh if Filip Zadina or Michael Rasmussen couldn't outplay a 34 year old Filppula for a job why would we be bothered about them not making the team?

Anyway, Holland is the master tire kicker and people never learn. There were rumors he was interested in Kovalchuk and Jack Johnson but that clearly didn't materialize. Reports are they are sticking to a max offer of 2 years for Green. It sounds like Filppula would get 1 year at most, and perhaps only if they get bad news on Z.
Having backup plans for your backup plans is just good GM'ing. Not every kid will come into camp and be NHL ready. Not every veteran will be healthy. Not everyone will be so anxious to sign with Detroit that they will take less money and term to do so.

We have been down this road before with Helm, Nyquist and Mantha easily beating out veterans in training camp in the preseason yet still getting sent to the minors. Hell Rasmussen played great in the preseason last year and was sent down.

There is no need whatsoever to sign Flip Flop or Vanek

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Let's sign Fil and Huds and use them as a way to drum up ticket sales (remember these Stanley Cup champs, fans?), then watch the team fail even harder and get a nice high draft pick out of it.

Isn't our purpose to TANK but not say that in public...?

Filppula signing would be perfect TANK move. Worse team, but good example athlete for kids and former known Stanley Cup hero to sell tickets for people (90% of Wings fans) who don't know the real team situation.

It's win-win-win. Asset which will cost only money, UFA.

At the moment there's no need for Filppula, but IF they plan to trade young forwards for a defenceman. Then there would be.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I thought when Fill left it was on not so good terms? And for Van he was good here but I think he blocks some kids does this mean Gus or AA both are going??
Not on good terms because of Babcock, not with the full org.

Very scary rumor for Wings fans regardless. Reminds me of him trying to bring back Brendan Smith last summer....

Wouldn't be a bad guy to pick up on a 1-year deal. Backup if Z can't play and a TDL asset.

But, let's instead overreact as if Holland is trading Zadina and Rasmussen for Kyle Quincey.

We both know Holland will offer more than a one year deal to Filppula.

And I thought the Habs were in bad shape.

The Habs are still in much worse shape long term. A lot less young talent in the pipeline/team imo, and their bad contracts are longer.

Last edited:

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Honestly, if I'm the Wings, I'd sign both to one year deals and then at the deadline retain 50% on each and trade them for a 2nd or 3rd. I mean the Wings aren't going anywhere this season so why not pay them a decent salary and then trade them at the deadline to get pucks to help their rebuild?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If Zetterberg isn't coming back, I'd be OK with Holland signing Filppula short term.

That would be much better that what he did with Nielsen after Datsyuk decided to leave... which would pretty much be the equivalent of handing Tyler Bozak a 6 year $36M+ deal on Sunday...

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Honestly, if I'm the Wings, I'd sign both to one year deals and then at the deadline retain 50% on each and trade them for a 2nd or 3rd. I mean the Wings aren't going anywhere this season so why not pay them a decent salary and then trade them at the deadline to get pucks to help their rebuild?

This is another option with those guys. Just like he did with early Vanek.

Looks like this board is too stupid to see any positives on these moves. Just thinking the on-ice product, where these are non-factors.

UFAs aree TOTALLY FREE assets, and if you can turn them to draft picks, that's rebuilding.

Basicly you buy draft picks with money.

Or, if you are rebuilding the defence (biggest problem in the team to be fixed) by using young forwards as the trade baits, these vets can be short-term plugs on the holes before guys like Veleno and Berggren are ready.

People should just use their brains.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We have been down this road before with Helm, Nyquist and Mantha easily beating out veterans in training camp in the preseason yet still getting sent to the minors. Hell Rasmussen played great in the preseason last year and was sent down.

There is no need whatsoever to sign Flip Flop or Vanek
Helm and Nyquist were never close the prospects we hope Zadina and Rasmussen were. Mantha broke his leg (and really needed time in GR).
This is just worrying over nothing. If Zadina gets the Helm treatment it will be because of him, not because of a possible Filppula signing.
We both know Holland will offer more than a one year deal to Filppula.
Except we don’t. The only report we have indicates that Fil would need to take a 1-year deal. Also seriously doubt Holland would go much longer give we have Ras and Veleno coming, and Larkin/Nielsen/Glendening/Turgeon in the mix too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad