GDT: Red Wings-Griffins preseason game

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
At least with Dish, the regional sports pack is an a la carte option, so it's nothing to remove or add it whenever. Is DirecTV like that?

I believe it is, so hopefully I can remove it when the season is done. I would love to be able to watch the pre-post shows (which is one of the reasons I switched) but just didn't want the extra cost. I guess they have me by the chones.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
What a total scam. I switched to DirectTV back in June and made it very clear that I wasn't going to switch (from Time Warner Cable) unless their sports pack meant I could get the wings games without having to order center ice (the savings of direct tv + center ice was much more than I was paying currently with twc). They friggin lied to my damn face.

Great to find this out 4 days before hockey starts, with a 2 year effing contract...

Unreal.

You might be able to. My friend has DirectTV with the sports pack, or whatever, and he said he would be able to get Wings games on FSDet and I think he said he was able to watch the Penguins without Center Ice, we are in Ohio. I don't know why tonight's game would have been blacked out if that is the case, but I guess you just have to wait and see, unfortunately.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Brunner was real impressive, did all the work on the Zetterberg goal, had a real sweet move in the 1st, and he must of set Z up for another 2-3 real good scoring chances. For me he was the best player on the ice, Filppula looked pretty good as well.

I think we have a pretty sick lineup for shootouts, Datsyuk, Bert, Fil, and Brunner and Z for extra rounds.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Brunner was real impressive, did all the work on the Zetterberg goal, had a real sweet move in the 1st, and he must of set Z up for another 2-3 real good scoring chances. For me he was the best player on the ice, Filppula looked pretty good as well.

I think we have a pretty sick lineup for shootouts, Datsyuk, Bert, Fil, and Brunner and Z for extra rounds.

plus Howard's a pretty good shootout goalie too

HTT3*

Thoughts on the game:

Brunner was the most explosive offensive player on the ice. The kid looks like the real deal and if he is consistent could find himself leading the charge on Offense behind the top 3.

Filppula needs a star winger.

Ericsson was the best Dman. He's come a long ways and is proving Holland is a genius at judging talent.

Colaiacovo looks like the 2010/11 version of Ericsson. Good for Kindl.

Kindl didn't stand out which is fine.

Cory Emmerton who?

Nyquist needs more Datsyuk.

Mursak > Abdelkader

Miller is going to be a lock on the bottom 6.

Tatar > Bertuzzi (not on the shoot-out obviously)

Gus looks slow and clunky. That might be his style. I doubt he is a guy you want in net during the shoot-out

Howard didn't look like he cared about the game. Just going through the motions.

I think Zetterberg is going to elevate his game being the new "C" -- How is that even possible? His game is always 100% heart every night! I love Zettie!

Mule... he's goofy.

All in all, my favorite player tonight was Brunner and Ericsson on defense.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Thoughts on the game:

Brunner was the most explosive offensive player on the ice. The kid looks like the real deal and if he is consistent could find himself leading the charge on Offense behind the top 3.

Filppula needs a star winger.

Ericsson was the best Dman. He's come a long ways and is proving Holland is a genius at judging talent.

Colaiacovo looks like the 2010/11 version of Ericsson. Good for Kindl.

Kindl didn't stand out which is fine.

Cory Emmerton who?

Nyquist needs more Datsyuk.

Mursak > Abdelkader

Miller is going to be a lock on the bottom 6.

Tatar > Bertuzzi (not on the shoot-out obviously)

Gus looks slow and clunky. That might be his style. I doubt he is a guy you want in net during the shoot-out

Howard didn't look like he cared about the game. Just going through the motions.

I think Zetterberg is going to elevate his game being the new "C" -- How is that even possible? His game is always 100% heart every night! I love Zettie!

Mule... he's goofy.

All in all, my favorite player tonight was Brunner and Ericsson on defense.

Assessing a guy like Abdelkader just isn't fair in a scrimmage. His role is a checking forward and you're not going to go out and hit your teammates hard in a scrimmage (unless you're Quincey).

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Assessing a guy like Abdelkader just isn't fair in a scrimmage. His role is a checking forward and you're not going to go out and hit your teammates hard in a scrimmage (unless you're Quincey).

This was my thought as well when Tootoo was interviewed during the game- a checking, energy guy isn't going to stand out in a scrimmage. Regarding Tootoo, I thought it was strange during Babcock's interview when he talked about Tootoo growing as a player in Nashville, then moving to a new team for a fresh start and continued growth (paraphrasing here)... not sure how his Detroit role will be much different than his role with the Preds, as a likely 4th liner providing energy, irritating the opponents, and chipping in offensively on occasion. Can't see him getting an expanded role in role in Detroit with the guys on the roster now, and those coming up in the system.

Scrimmage or not, Brunner looked great. It's probably easier to create offense when you don't have to worry about having your clock cleaned when you cut to the middle, but I liked what I saw out of him. And Smith's shootout goal was great- you don't expect that kind of move out of a defenseman, so I can't wait to see him full time this season in Detroit.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Brunner was definitely noticeable out there, he also has a lot more to prove than most of the guys out there so its a good thing to temper expectations.

The guys were told to lay off the real rough stuff so guys like Tootoo and Abdelkader were really just out for a skate. By the way Babcock talked about Tootoo I expect him to get a good amount of playing time. He was practicing on the PK as well

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yes, and good thing too. He's so much better than he gets credit for on this board, where he seems to be viewed as waiver wire fodder.

I think Miller is awesome, especially for what we pay him and his bottom six status.

But. We have soooo many guys that work so well on the bottom six. Plus, I want the Wings to give a spot to players like Tatar and Nyquist, who I think have shown they can play up and have put in the time. And if they play, I think it should be in the top six, which means you're going to send Sammy/Cleary down.

So, if we have:

Bert, Helm, Cleary, Sammy, Mursak, Eaves, Miller, Abby, Tootoo, Emmerton looking for spots... That's 10 guys for 6. Even if I throw out Emmerton (which I want to) That's still a solid 9 guys looking at six spots. Tough call to be sure.

There's just way too many bottom 6 forwards on this team, and a few guys who should be playing up that are waiting because of it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well Ericsson surely was everywhere on the ice. Which is good obviously because he needs to be a 20 minute man this year or at least just a shadow close. Cola might be starting on opening night, but he's gonna get a run for his money by Kindl. The other five we have are significantly ahead of these two, I feel.

Bottom-6 forwards are impossible to read in a scrimmage like this.

Goalies have to sort it out quick, they were not brutal but not in match shape either. Which surely is the same for any team, always something.

Mursak's biggest issue, puck control, was on display again. He's so easy to knock off the puck. You have to wonder if he isn't the 15th forward assuming Eaves is back, considering A: better scoring forward options in the minors and B: better checking forward options in the pressbox. He's stuck somewhere in between.

MissNHL

Oct 31, 2008
Hockeytown, Michigan
You might be able to. My friend has DirectTV with the sports pack, or whatever, and he said he would be able to get Wings games on FSDet and I think he said he was able to watch the Penguins without Center Ice, we are in Ohio. I don't know why tonight's game would have been blacked out if that is the case, but I guess you just have to wait and see, unfortunately.

It was blacked out because they claim it wasn't sold out. That is what Direct TV told my friend who lives in Ohio. She always gets the Wings games otherwise.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
ahh Mickey, Semin is in CAR not TB :laugh:

Lol. I love Mickey, but outside of the right handed sniper thing, Semin is not really comparable to Brunner.

Semin is bigger (6'2" I think), Brunner is quite a bit smaller but might be quicker/shiftier (sure hope so). He looked good out there.

I think the Wings are going to surprise a lot of the detractors out there that are (finally) expecting them to fall apart. I can't wait, their disappointment with another talented wing's team will make me very happy.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Mursak's biggest issue, puck control, was on display again. He's so easy to knock off the puck. You have to wonder if he isn't the 15th forward assuming Eaves is back, considering A: better scoring forward options in the minors and B: better checking forward options in the pressbox. He's stuck somewhere in between.

The ideal thing for Mursak's career at this point is to end up on a team with less bottom 6 depth so he can carve out his niche as a fast-skating checking winger. Not sure if that happens via trade this year or if the Wings let him walk after the season as an RFA, but I don't see him having a career in Detroit.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Brunner has some talent. Hopefully that translates when everybody is trying to hit him.

And in a scrimmage of this sort, without Datsyuk, it was so obvious Zetterberg is the best player on the ice. The ice will get smaller against real NHL teams, but he seems to be in game shape and making great plays.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So what if he scores in them. Shootouts are no more important in a short season compared to a full one. The same percentage of games will be going to a shootout

The points mean more and with an only conference schedule my guess is you will see slightly more. When Eastern and Western Conference teams meet in OT they play a more open brand of hockey they will not do that this year. Since Howard is a very good shootout goalie and Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Bert, Smith and possibly Brunner will all be good shootout takers the Wings might employ just this strategy when they get to overtime. Force the shootout and bank points. Really the big difference here would be since they are lining up Bert as a third line forward he does something the rest of the bottom six does not. Just like Sammy provides punch for the powerplay and I will repeat I didn't like that signing. But a couple of big shootout goals could make all the difference this year and is something Bert really brings to the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad