GDT: Red Wings-Griffins preseason game

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Brunner has some talent. Hopefully that translates when everybody is trying to hit him.

And in a scrimmage of this sort, without Datsyuk, it was so obvious Zetterberg is the best player on the ice. The ice will get smaller against real NHL teams, but he seems to be in game shape and making great plays.

Z's skating which many people worry about looked pretty good tonight, like how it was better over the second half of last season. I think his knee and back issues have gone away for a little bit, I hope they stay away but his stride and jump look as good as they have in a couple years at least in my opinion.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Babcock is a beatific saint. Redmond was beaming and Daniels was blushing as Babs just broke everything down and spoke so honestly. The players tell him who plays the PP, he just gets to watch it all go down...he went on and with the most perfect, simple hockey fundamentals. A child could understand him better than most HF posters... :loony:

Only saw 2 periods but I thought it was very entertaining. My pops said there was no intensity, I told him it was the single greatest hockey game I'd ever seen! :laugh: Really this is happening NOW, the game and the skill develop each year. This is the makings of our 2013 season and I like it! This scrimmage was a blast! Rediculous moves and the Wings from bottom to top are a highly skilled organization.

Bertuzzi is the godfather! Shame on you members who have doubted BB this offseason.

The hockey communities are thrilled to have the top league in the world back in session. Hockey fanatics go ice skating, play hockey, watch pee wee, high school, junior, etc. and zone into the flow no matter what skill level, everybody's playing the same basic game. For true fans watching the top elite stars from the entire globe...it's mind blowing to the mere hockey mortal and brings us happiness. This 3 month lockout has stirred up our senses and we are paying closer attention to it all. May be this was all part of Bettmans master plan?

Who knows who could win the Cup with the sheer insanity of this season: but I guarantee you it will be very fun! I love our team (yea I am a simleston too) I don't care at the moment where the Wings place. Just pleased to have this high of Caliber ice hockey back in HD. :tvhappy: See you'all for the game on Saturday!

Lets Go Red Wings

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Brunner has some talent. Hopefully that translates when everybody is trying to hit him.

Yeah, that's something I'm a little worried about too, because it's very likely guys are going to be out to destroy him. Doesn't seem to be a very flashy player, just gets the puck (and himeself) to where it needs to be. Besides, Tatar -- and to a lesser extent Nyquist -- has enough flash within the newer crop.

And in a scrimmage of this sort, without Datsyuk, it was so obvious Zetterberg is the best player on the ice. The ice will get smaller against real NHL teams, but he seems to be in game shape and making great plays.

Yeah, like RW19405 (bro, gotta come up with a better username ;) ) said, as long as Zetterberg's knees and back hold out, he should remain productive for the remainder of his contract.

Filppula acquitted himself pretty well last night too, and just might change my mind about slotting him into the 2nd C spot. Now if he only had Hudler on his wing... :sarcasm: seriously though, if he does well this season, a top-6 of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Brunner, Filppula, Tatar, and Nyquist would be pretty damned potent for the next couple of seasons.

Also, Quincey looked like he was being a complete ****** out there, actually hitting several of the Grand Rapids guys pretty hard. I also chuckled when Bertuzzi ran over Lashoff -- I think they had a few words for each other after that.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
So Ericsson showed improvement?

Eh, hard to say really... I think defensemen are more difficult to read compared to forwards in a game like that.

That being said, here's hoping. I mean, as much as I've bagged on E52 the past couple of seasons, I really hope he finds his niche and grows into a solid defenseman this season -- and I really don't care what pairing he's on or what role he takes, as long as he does it steadily.

HTT3*

So Ericsson showed improvement?

To me he looked like the best defenseman on the ice last night. Even had a hard shot from the point that was ultimately tipped in for a nice goal. He stood out to me. Question is can he be consistent?

Quincey and Coval didn't look good to me at all. Smith was noticeable but not in a good way... he was a liability. Kronwall and White played but you wouldn't know it because they were pretty much invisible, but that's not really a bad thing. You hear Chad Billins name a lot. Not sure if he is a AHL lifer, but he seems to always be solid and in the mix of things. Also, I'm not sold on Almquist.. not sure he'll ever make the big league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Guys, this was an intra-squad pre-season scrimmage. You can't make a serious assessment about how they played. Don't look too deeply into what you saw.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Guys, this was an intra-squad pre-season scrimmage. You can't make a serious assessment about how they played. Don't look too deeply into what you saw.

True not too deeply, but it's a lot better tool for assessment than random musings for 8 months about who sucks worse. Ok they weren't going 1000% and weren't body checking at all but I could tell they skated hard (note how gassed the teams were by the end of the 3rd) and were pushing each other.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Gotta love Bertuzzi for that Datsuyk SO goal. He really have great hands and moves. It just the skating that lacks a bit.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Everyone dislikes talking to Keating. He's a joke around FSN D

I do NOT knooooooow..... exactly what youuuuu........ MAY be referring to.

Keating's bizarre pauses and choice of words to emphasize in sentences isn't annoying at all. And Eaves didn't look excited to talk to him during the scrimmage, and really stone-faced him when Keating asked him what it felt like to be cleared to play games again, and Eaves dropped a "I'll let you know when it happens" type of response. Way to be informed, John.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree that there is something going on with Keating and the Wings. Of course I was fascinated to see the Wings on 24/7 because one of the staples of this team for 20 years is they aren't all that easy with the media. They never have been, especially by hockey standards, if you ever get center ice you notice that right away when comparing them to other teams. The Wings players and management have the people they trust but it isn't a long list by any stretch of the imagination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad