Post-Game Talk: Red Wings get back in the win Column 4-3 over Buffalo

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He didn't say Zetterbergs play is unacceptable. He said he is declining. Why do you put words in people's mouths like this?

He said he was declining like the titanic, which to any rational person would imply that he doesn't find this years Zetterberg acceptable.

top 50 isnt a great tag line, not unless your salary is outside the top 50

i expect production based on salary regardless of age, otherwise return the money and hence lower expectations,

that said, zetterberg is playing allright

Top 50 isn't bad at all considering he's only 8 pts away from the top 10.

I guess some people just need a scapegoat and feel the need to complain whether the team wins or loses. (not referring to you at all btw.)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
we said something similar about Filppula for years. There's definitely worse company to be with, but not a huge ceiling, imo.

I'd be thrilled if Sheahan could put up 40-50 points from the 2nd line. I was OK with Filppula leaving because I assumed that's what Weiss would bring. We've had Zetterberg and Datsyuk trading time there, but ultimately we need Sheahan to step up and grab the spot. Games like today make me remember why I was more excited about his as a prospect than Nyquist or Tatar.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I like how the points went out today

Larkin Sheahan smith datsyuk and more

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Zetterberg's production isn't bad for a 35 year old player. He will more than likely end up leading the Wings in points for the season...again.

Unless anyone here knows how to reverse the aging process, what more can you ask from Z?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Who would you trade if a defensemen was available that would be on our top pairing? Always seems like people want to get impact players, but never want to trade any value.

I wouldn't really want to trade anyone now, certainly none of the top younger players. This team's core is old, slow and unreliable. Now is not the time to be trading youth to take a run. The window is closed. I think this team is years away from being a true contender and that management just needs to patient by stocking quality young players.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I wouldn't really want to trade anyone now, certainly none of the top younger players. This team's core is old, slow and unreliable. Now is not the time to be trading youth to take a run. The window is closed. I think this team is years away from being a true contender and that management just needs to patient by stocking quality young players.
Which young guys are you planning to build into your core? Larkin and DeKeyser are really the only ones that seems like they could be core components.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Which reminds me

It kind of blew my mind that a professional nhl team allows a 1 on 0 breakaway while defending a 1 goal lead with like a minute left

How is that even possible

Actual Thought*

Nice to see a win. Hope they can come out on top at the end of this road trip. Their playoff hopes may be riding on it.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Which young guys are you planning to build into your core? Larkin and DeKeyser are really the only ones that seems like they could be core components.

Nyquist, Tatar, and Sheahan are obviously part of that forward group still. I don't see why people are giving up on them now. That's silly.

Abdelkader will still be effective in the top 9. Mrazek solidifies the goaltending position and will be a elite starter and in his prime. I think Marchenko, as of now, as shown he can be a reliable bottom pairing guy. I think AA and Mantha will be big contributors. There's a lot of nice pieces here.

They obviously still lack a true #1 defenseman, but I'd rather wait until this team is on the upswing again to acquire one via trade.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

With trading for a D, I've been working off the assumption that we wanted a guy who could help now but also be around for the next 5-8 years as an effective player. Part of the point in stocking these quality young players is having the ability to move a few off in the right move.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

I'm not talking about a rental. The wings are one top d from contending in the East.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm not talking about a rental. The wings are one top d from contending in the East.

I don't think any impact, top pairing defensemen are or will be available. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall aren't worth investing in anymore.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't think any impact, top pairing defensemen are or will be available. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall aren't worth investing in anymore.

My question was a hypothetical one, which assets would be available if the right guy was available?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd be thrilled if Sheahan could put up 40-50 points from the 2nd line. I was OK with Filppula leaving because I assumed that's what Weiss would bring. We've had Zetterberg and Datsyuk trading time there, but ultimately we need Sheahan to step up and grab the spot. Games like today make me remember why I was more excited about his as a prospect than Nyquist or Tatar.

Sorry, I missed this earlier. I don't have a problem with the production so much as the inability to win head-to-head battles with their counterparts. I think it's the real reason we saw Z&D split so often, as Babcock didn't have faith in Filppula winning those battles. If Sheahan can put up 40-50 points, I'll be happy for it, but I still don't think he can hold down that center spot on the second line and win the match-ups required of that spot.

edit: should say I don't have a problem with 40 point production, sorry.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If we're talking someone like Shea Weber, anyone but Larkin, obviously.

You would have to add considerably to Larkin to land Weber.....

Larkin is going to be the demand on anyone we really like save Buff, though I am sure Winnipeg will get laughed at just asking because they have to. We would have to wait out the bidding there as I am not a fan of including Mantha for a rental either.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
You would have to add considerably to Larkin to land Weber.....

Larkin is going to be the demand on anyone we really like save Buff, though I am sure Winnipeg will get laughed at just asking because they have to. We would have to wait out the bidding there as I am not a fan of including Mantha for a rental either.

Nah, people always say that, big trades rarely live up to the fans perceived value.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nah, people always say that, big trades rarely live up to the fans perceived value.

Well we also spend an inordinate amount of time talking about the kind of players that don't get trade either so... :dunno:

I don't think the Buff package is going to be staggering and I am in complete favor of figuring out what that would be.

At the same time talking about Weber is really a moot point, if they were going to move him they could get a huge offer from Edmonton for instance one we could never match. OEL would take a tremendous price, maybe not crazy HF trade section asks by Coyote fans but you can bet it would be a serious package.

I don't think Buff can produce a Kovy or Hossa like return which was four solid assets in those cases.

But yeah lets pursue Weber and you cannot have Larkin is just beyond anything that should be taken seriously. Even including Larkin and you're looking at considerable add-ons. If we are going to do that might as well pursue Jones in my opinion.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sorry, I missed this earlier. I don't have a problem with the production so much as the inability to win head-to-head battles with their counterparts. I think it's the real reason we saw Z&D split so often, as Babcock didn't have faith in Filppula winning those battles. If Sheahan can put up 40-50 points, I'll be happy for it, but I still don't think he can hold down that center spot on the second line and win the match-ups required of that spot.

edit: should say I don't have a problem with 40 point production, sorry.

I'm under the assumption if Sheahan can produce at that level, he's mostly winning the match-ups. It helps stack the 1st line and take heat off the 3rd line. The Wings won't be a dominant 1 line team like Dallas or Chicago, but Sheahan filling his role could bring a return to 3 lines of scoring.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Which reminds me

It kind of blew my mind that a professional nhl team allows a 1 on 0 breakaway while defending a 1 goal lead with like a minute left

How is that even possible
Happens when you're facing talented players. Sick play by Eichel and Bogosian. Don't forget how many times we've seen Dats and Z pull last minute heroics, did you ever stop to question how the other team could allow them to do it?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Happens when you're facing talented players. Sick play by Eichel and Bogosian. Don't forget how many times we've seen Dats and Z pull last minute heroics, did you ever stop to question how the other team could allow them to do it?

Exactly.

Funny how it's so tough to understand that other teams could have good players also.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Exactly.

Funny how it's so tough to understand that other teams could have good players also.

Nonsense, the only reason Detroit loses to other teams is because our players are lazy, soft, and not trying hard enough. If we pulled our head out of our ***** and tried harder we would make zero mistakes and win every game (except when Howard was in net, because obviously he sucks and we win games in spite of him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad