Post-Game Talk: Red Wings get back in the win Column 4-3 over Buffalo

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Let's hope Tatar goes on one of his hot streaks. It's not secret he's prolly the streakiest player on our team, so a hot streak now would be a good thing.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'll take the two points, but I dont think they played a great game overall. They're still giving up way too many quality scoring chances. Against another goalie than Chad Johnson, this game could just as easily have been a loss. Getting the W is a step in the right direction after the last 3 games, but this team still has a lot of issues to sort out.

I like what I'm seeing from Nosek so far. There was never much hype, and I haven't seen him play many games in GR, so him looking like he could and maybe should be a regular is a bit of a surprise to me.

Sheahan was a beast. Probably his best game of the season.

Marchenko continues to impress on D, Ericsson and Kronwall not so much.

Eichel looked really good for Buffalo. Nice to see him get going after a somewhat rough start.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Abby gotta be streakier. Scores 3g in 4gp and then disappears for 15games

Ya maybe you're right. Tatar is definitely a streaky scorer too though. He seems to have 10 game stretches where he snipes every game, then has a 10 game stretch with no goals, 2 assists and -5.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I'll take the two points, but I dont think they played a great game overall. They're still giving up way too many quality scoring chances. Against another goalie than Chad Johnson, this game could just as easily have been a loss. Getting the W is a step in the right direction after the last 3 games, but this team still has a lot of issues to sort out.

I like what I'm seeing from Nosek so far. There was never much hype, and I haven't seen him play many games in GR, so him looking like he could and maybe should be a regular is a bit of a surprise to me.

Sheahan was a beast. Probably his best game of the season.

Marchenko continues to impress on D, Ericsson and Kronwall not so much.

Eichel looked really good for Buffalo. Nice to see him get going after a somewhat rough start.

FWIW, this season the Red Wings are one of the best teams in the league at avoiding high danger scoring chances against.

Actual Thought*

Nah, people always say that, big trades rarely live up to the fans perceived value.

Big trades don't even really happen anymore. That ship has sailed. You draft or you rent.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
People seem to be on the 'win is a win' but being outshot and letting one of the worst teams in the league dictate play is not a positive sign.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I will take the result but the effort level is no where close to where it needs to be. I don't like how quickly we are abandoning the zone on the fore check these days. We look so damn lazy in doing so. The defense, as a unit, can look respectable for long stretches but always seems to find a way to blow coverage and give up primo scoring opportunities when they look to be in control of the play.

Nosek has acquitted himself very well as of late. I appreciate his ability to win board battles and his work to recover the puck.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ya maybe you're right. Tatar is definitely a streaky scorer too though. He seems to have 10 game stretches where he snipes every game, then has a 10 game stretch with no goals, 2 assists and -5.

That is what virtually every non-superstar scorer does in this league. It is the nature of the beast. Tatar is by in large very popular so not much is made of it. Franzen and Gator don't enjoy that so a couple games in people go nuts.

Similar to how DeKeyser is allowed a few mistakes in a game before everyone goes nuts even if a goal is involved. Ericsson, Smith and Kindl not so much.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Which young guys are you planning to build into your core? Larkin and DeKeyser are really the only ones that seems like they could be core components.
Mrazek too.
Win is all that matters, no matter how ugly it was.
Yes.
People seem to be on the 'win is a win' but being outshot and letting one of the worst teams in the league dictate play is not a positive sign.

You prefer to outshoot and outplay the opponent but lose?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Scoring attempts were 13-3 for Wings when game was tied. And goals went 3-0 from tied situation.

Attempts were 12-24 when Wings had the lead and goals went 1-3.

Quite a big difference in our game mode, when leading or not leading. Buffalo couldn't get anything going when tied, Wings controlled totally. They could get only some desperate hockey when trailing and we go defensive. Two lucky goals also (Eichel breakaway, Datsyuk was tripped + that bounce, and Nosek own 3-3 goal).

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Abby gotta be streakier. Scores 3g in 4gp and then disappears for 15games

Much easier for playmakers to put up some assists when they're not playing at their best than it is for goalscorers to put up goals. In a regular 30 goal season a few of them are multigoal games which means that you're only scoring in maybe 20-23 of 82 games in a season. That could be seen as streaky.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Good to see that Blash finally changed the lines and - seems to - stick(s) to that. Hoping for the next three points tonight.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

When your going through a mid season slump (like we have the past 10-11 games) a W is 2 points so you take it. It would not surprise me at all if the flu bug was going around the locker room. Cause the "energy level" as it likes to be put as was erratic or bad for around 5-6 games.

The "dog days" of a season are important to get out of. And at this point in time it appears we are in them perhaps starting to sort them out and get upright again. It can be frustrating to watch but as long as what appears it to being sorted out then that is all you can ask for.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
When your going through a mid season slump (like we have the past 10-11 games) a W is 2 points so you take it. It would not surprise me at all if the flu bug was going around the locker room. Cause the "energy level" as it likes to be put as was erratic or bad for around 5-6 games.

The "dog days" of a season are important to get out of. And at this point in time it appears we are in them perhaps starting to sort them out and get upright again. It can be frustrating to watch but as long as what appears it to being sorted out then that is all you can ask for.

Maybe there is something bout the flu bug. Florida has won 9 in a row, while others are struggling. They should send them to hot places :laugh::laugh:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You gotta win to get to the playoffs.

Yea obviously.

The premise is that if you play ****** and win, you're more likely to lose a lot more games in the future. And not make the playoffs.

If you play great and lose, you're more likely to win a lot more in the future and make the playoffs.

Obviously it's more complicated than that but you should get the idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad