Prospect Info: Red Wings Development Camp 2014

Brandel*

He also was totally snake bitten once he started playing better hockey. I mean Blashill wasn't as down on him as you would expect once 2014 ticked over. Would say a lot of nice things about him in terms of him playing the way they expected and wanted him to he just needed to get rewarded.

It is a big year for him no doubt, but he still has some tools and has really been totally thrown away by everyone around here. I know it is what have you done for me lately but the idea he is about to lose to guys like Callahan in our poll is going to be head scratching for me. The upside is still there with Frk, I also wouldn't be opposed to dealing him if another team has shocking value for him or wants him as the added in B prospect.

I just feel like he is going to be a better player this year. Lots of guys have a rough year in the AHL, what did he learn from it is important.

He has to work out hard this summer. I have some doubts though, he used to party a good amount in Halifax and really didn't have to work hard in junior hockey to get points (junior hockey pts basically = success). He sat on the PP and was fed shot after shot, hardly had to move. I think playing with Mackinnon and Drouin wasn't the best thing for his development. He had half a year off from his concussion then a year of playing w/ Drouin and Mackinnon not having to win many puck battles and do the hard work on the ice himself. He says he's willing to put extra work in this summer so hopefully he'll have a comeback year in 15-16, really needs to work on his conditioning and needs to actually battle on the ice.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Detroit Red Wings ‏@DetroitRedWings 1m
Scrimmage Final: Red 3, White 2...
Red Goals: Glopke, Hicketts, Vahatalo
White Goals: Nosek, Ehn

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He has to work out hard this summer. I have some doubts though, he used to party a good amount in Halifax and really didn't have to work hard in junior hockey to get points (junior hockey pts basically = success). He sat on the PP and was fed shot after shot, hardly had to move. I think playing with Mackinnon and Drouin wasn't the best thing for his development. He had half a year off from his concussion then a year of playing w/ Drouin and Mackinnon not having to win many puck battles and do the hard work on the ice himself. He says he's willing to put extra work in this summer so hopefully he'll have a comeback year in 15-16, really needs to work on his conditioning and needs to actually battle on the ice.

i agree with all of this, except the partying part, don't know anything about that.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Mantha was a dog out there. Either hungover or not interested in being there. No way he makes the team to start the season. Larkin was realgud. Very impressed with him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mantha was a dog out there. Either hungover or not interested in being there. No way he makes the team to start the season. Larkin was realgud. Very impressed with him.

Good to see that we have our future Franzen replacement :sarcasm:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
https://soundcloud.com/georgeums/christoffer-ehn-070514

Cool interview with Ehn. He's always been a Wings fan, which might be a polite answer, but it makes sense coming from a Swedish kid. and I'm a sucker for European prospects who speak good English, so I'm pulling for this kid. He's a lot more articulate in a second language at his age than I ever would have been in my first.

Big kid, good skater, two way game, good hockey sense? Sign me up. I like this pick.

edit: really, I'm starting to wonder if the Wings intentionally draft kids with good English skills. Nedomlel sounds like a Canadian these days. Marchenko has some of the best English I've heard from a Russian player (Fedorov notwithstanding). Holmstrom has solid English skills too.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
https://soundcloud.com/georgeums/christoffer-ehn-070514

Cool interview with Ehn. He's always been a Wings fan, which might be a polite answer, but it makes sense coming from a Swedish kid. and I'm a sucker for European prospects who speak good English, so I'm pulling for this kid. He's a lot more articulate in a second language at his age than I ever would have been in my first.

Big kid, good skater, two way game, good hockey sense? Sign me up. I like this pick.

edit: really, I'm starting to wonder if the Wings intentionally draft kids with good English skills. Nedomlel sounds like a Canadian these days. Marchenko has some of the best English I've heard from a Russian player (Fedorov notwithstanding). Holmstrom has solid English skills too.

I am not sure about Holmstrom, I remember hearing/seeing that the vets would always make him speak at the Rookie dinner even though he wasnt a rookie due to his language skills, or maybe he just didnt come of as very eloquent but I know he always had to make a speech.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Yeah I watched him when they aired the Memorial Cup on the NHL network. I think you hit it on the head. I wasn't sure why I wasn't impressed, but I think it was his speed. He's either not fast enough to stand out or he doesn't want to skate hard enough. Either or.

There's a guy on ****** that said he's attending the camp. He has some high praise for A2. Excited for that kid!

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Yeah I watched him when they aired the Memorial Cup on the NHL network. I think you hit it on the head. I wasn't sure why I wasn't impressed, but I think it was his speed. He's either not fast enough to stand out or he doesn't want to skate hard enough. Either or.
I didn't see him play today, but in the Memorial Cup that was just his style. He's not really an explosive type player where he is making something happen all the time. It's his style to set up and wait, kind of like a hunter. and then *boom*.

But he's not going to be able to do that all of the time, and he needs to learn that. His skating is actually pretty good, especially his top speed. But he doesn't use it enough. and his skills with the puck are excellent, so it's not like he can't make plays happen that way. It just hasn't been his style.

Also, as Malik has said, Mantha is still taking long shifts, and that's a part of it. He's got it in his head that he's going to do more by being on the ice so long. That was true back in the Q, but it won't be in the pro game. Looks like he might need some time in GR just to get rid of bad habits like that.

In his defense, though, Bertuzzi supposedly looks tired. Maybe that's what we're seeing from Mantha. Might just be that those kids are still recovering from playing so much. Especially Mantha, who was playing ridiculous amounts of icetime for VDO. We're talking like 25-30 minutes a game over the season, a stop at the WJCs, and then playoffs all the way to the Memorial Cup. That's a lot of hockey.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wow. All of the beat writers are raving about Nosek's hands. That along with RWC's blurb he's a border line top 10 prospect is very encouraging.

Just needs to adjust to NA game and NA ice.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Could see Jiri Fischer being in an even bigger role someday. I really think a duel GM of Martin and Fischer would be interesting. I could listen to him breakdown the game and our prospects for hours.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wow. All of the beat writers are raving about Nosek's hands. That along with RWC's blurb he's a border line top 10 prospect is very encouraging.

Just needs to adjust to NA game and NA ice.

Wings had to have an idea they were bringing this kid in at the time they traded Jarnkrok...

Devil's advocate engaged.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wings had to have an idea they were bringing this kid in at the time they traded Jarnkrok...

Doesn't match up with Nosek's interview the other day where he made it clear the Detroit thing came together pretty quickly through his agent.

Now they could have had a list of guys and he was near the top, think Fischer has a big influence in this signing. Didn't hurt that the kid has Jurco's agent and who knows how long that was in the works, but Nosek described it as he was interested in the NHL but was waiting and hoping not some foregone conclusion which a couple of months would indicate. I do believe they had a series of contingency plans when they got worried about Jarnkrok's defection possibility.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's just development camp, and he has legit reasons to be fatigued. Sounds like he still needs to learn some things and I do expect him in GR at the start of the season, but september is when he should be expected to make his push for a roster spot, not now.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

Can you post this in the Legwand thread instead :sarcasm:

I am really excited about A2, sounds like they are really high on him and have big expectations for him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Can you post this in the Legwand thread instead :sarcasm:

I am really excited about A2, sounds like they are really high on him and have big expectations for him.

They are absolutely pushing the center aspect with him. Every chance they get they seem to be trying to develop that part of his game. Was happy to hear Fischer talk about using his teammates better in his interview which is my biggest gripe with Athanasiou.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What I was referring to earlier:

Players like Axel Holmstrom, Christofer Ehn, and Tomas Nosek really stood out for me. Nosek shows that he can handle the puck on a string like Pavel does at times.

I think Nosek is great, he scored a real nice goal out there, he's definitely an extremely skilled forward.
-Mantha

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2014/7/6/5873755/detroit-prospect-development-camp-scrimmage-2014

He's got frickin' Datsyuk goal-scoring hands at times--if I may allow myself to be completely honest--and he's big and lanky and still very powerful in terms of his skating

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comment...lopment-camp-2014-day-2-scrimmage-impressions

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Nosek is 21 and plays in a pro league, albeit not one of the better pro leagues. Blashill likes him alot and I expect he'll lock down a center spot in Grand Rapids:

“I’m paying particular attention to him because he’ll be coming over here this fall, and he does a lot of really good little things,†Blashill said. “He puts pucks into space (and) when he’s under duress he finds a little pass in seams. Those are the things that when you get to real hockey that you need to be able to do and he did a real good job of that.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00