Prospect Info: Red Wings Development Camp 2014

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Mantha was a dog out there. Either hungover or not interested in being there. No way he makes the team to start the season. Larkin was realgud. Very impressed with him.

I wouldn't read too much into his performance in one scrimmage. Both him and Bertuzzi seem not to be on top of their games due to long playoff runs for both of them. I remember there was talk of Mantha being traded last season since his team wasn't believed to be a playoff contender. Funny how that ended up working out! He carried them, Malik acknowledged he would routinely take 90 second - 2 minute shifts at Val d'Or, which will never happen again.

Most of these guys haven't even started skating again, I'd be worried about him burning out if he came into this prospect camp on top of his game. Let him rest up, recover and then prepare for training camp.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Heard Jiri Fischer on NHL radio today. Man, he is very impressive. He really seems to have taken to his role, and he is great on the radio. He has a career on TV or radio if he wants. He loves Mantha, BTW. Said he will get every shot with Datsyuk and Z. (you may know all this already)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Could see Jiri Fischer being in an even bigger role someday. I really think a duel GM of Martin and Fischer would be interesting. I could listen to him breakdown the game and our prospects for hours.

Ah, I should have read this before my previous post and I agree 100%. Not even a Wings fan and he was great to listen to not just for content, but he can deliver a message really well

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Heard Jiri Fischer on NHL radio today. Man, he is very impressive. He really seems to have taken to his role, and he is great on the radio. He has a career on TV or radio if he wants. He loves Mantha, BTW. Said he will get every shot with Datsyuk and Z. (you may know all this already)
Wings fans like to bag on Holland and the organization lately, but some of the internal changes they've made have been huge. They've completely transformed the development system in the last 3 or so years, and now GR is a fantastic place to develop players. For us Wings fans, GR was a black hole for a long time. Now Fischer is really establishing himself in his role. It's great to see.

If there's one area where the Wings are unparalleled, it's developing their staff and coaches, IMO. and that leads to better developed players, and better players leads to a better on ice product. It's just a solid foundation all the way through.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wings fans like to bag on Holland and the organization lately, but some of the internal changes they've made have been huge. They've completely transformed the development system in the last 3 or so years, and now GR is a fantastic place to develop players. For us Wings fans, GR was a black hole for a long time. Now Fischer is really establishing himself in his role. It's great to see.

If there's one area where the Wings are unparalleled, it's developing their staff and coaches, IMO. and that leads to better developed players, and better players leads to a better on ice product. It's just a solid foundation all the way through.

I wonder who is the bashed man who develops that staff and hires those new guys?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

The vast majority of the criticism of Holland are his handling of UFAs, trades, and promotions of players from within. His drafting and development system is great. Implicitly this must be our opinion if so many people are upset with Holland for not promoting the kids more quickly. No one would be mad at Holland for holding kids back if everyone thought he drafted garbage and developed them poorly. We think he does that well. We want him to think that too.

As for Fischer, I've heard him say a few things and read a few things, I'd like to see something that is a little... mmm.. deeper. Something about the prospects or the systems that I haven't heard before. Some insight that he would have since that's his job that a journalist observer wouldn't be able to see. Maybe that's asking too much, but that's what I'd like. Obviously the results speak for themselves but I want to know a little more about how they do things down there.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The vast majority of the criticism of Holland are his handling of UFAs, trades, and promotions of players from within. His drafting and development system is great. Implicitly this must be our opinion if so many people are upset with Holland for not promoting the kids more quickly. No one would be mad at Holland for holding kids back if everyone thought he drafted garbage and developed them poorly. We think he does that well. We want him to think that too.

As for Fischer, I've heard him say a few things and read a few things, I'd like to see something that is a little... mmm.. deeper. Something about the prospects or the systems that I haven't heard before. Some insight that he would have since that's his job that a journalist observer wouldn't be able to see. Maybe that's asking too much, but that's what I'd like. Obviously the results speak for themselves but I want to know a little more about how they do things down there.

The nice thing with Fischer is he seems to enjoy talking about prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I am not trying to be rude.. I am glad he covered it and gave us insight :)

I like the reporting on the grind and on his mental being. It's what differentiates the content from just reading a simple blurb and stat line. I enjoy reading about all the perspectives people have and the human element it provides.

Life isn't a simulation and it's always good to see it spill over, good, bad, ugly and datsyukian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad