Pre-Game Talk: Red Wings @ Capitals | 11/18/16 | What should we do with a drunken coach?

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011
Sweden
"♪♫What will we do with a drunken coach?
What will we do with a drunken coach?
Early in the morning!

Shave his belly with a rusty razor,
Shave his belly with a rusty razor,
Early in the morning!

Stick him in a barrel with a hosepipe on him,
Stick him in a barrel with a hosepipe on him,
Early in the morning!

Etc...
♪♫"

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'm shocked they properly evaluated fowler. He is a 3, which is why I've never been particularly enthusiastic about trading for him. He's not gonna fix anything, he'll just be another guy we're paying lot of money to that isn't part of the core.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm shocked they properly evaluated fowler. He is a 3, which is why I've never been particularly enthusiastic about trading for him. He's not gonna fix anything, he'll just be another guy we're paying lot of money to that isn't part of the core.

Lots of good real talk. The Hossa discussion was painful.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If Fowler is a 3... I'd LOVE to know what they think of the defenseman we have.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If Fowler is a 3... I'd LOVE to know what they think of the defenseman we have.

The only 2 d-men they could ever realistically think are higher than Fowler on this team are DK and Green.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mostly 5's and 6's

Forwards are mostly 3rd and 4th liners

Playing more minutes than anyone on this team. Better CF% than anyone on this team. Would be tied with our leader in goals. Would be tied with our leader in points.

But yeah... He wouldn't help this team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The only 2 d-men they could ever realistically think are higher than Fowler on this team are DK and Green.

Fowler has been much better than Dekeyser this year. Not even close.

He's been about in line with Green. Adding another player like Green to the back end would be huge for this team.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And we still aren't in last place...man we get a lot from our 3/4 liners and 5/6s
Give it time. If the season ended today, Detroit would pick 11th, and we haven't even approached the inevitable Zetterberg meltdown or the likely Howard injury.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

He's been about in line with Green. Adding another player like Green to the back end would be huge for this team.

Sure he would help our team, just like Nielsen helped our team. The problem is that he's not going to fix our core issues and we will ultimately be no closer to fixing our defense than we were before.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The problem is that he's not going to fix our core issues

Maybe.

and we will ultimately be no closer to fixing our defense than we were before.

How do you figure? Our defense lacks talent. Fowler helps that in a big way.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Oh I don't disagree. DK has never impressed me very much and this year is just adding to that. He doesn't look like he's ever really thinking out there. He's an off the glass and out, very simple d-man.

I'm just saying what the Wings brass is thinking. Unless there's some alternative bizarro universe where E or Smith or Marchenko are considered top2 instead...

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
RedWings lines:
Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Larkin-Nielsen-Glendening
Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Ott-Miller
0 replies 3 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweet 3
Like 6
More
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1h1 hour ago
Looks like Smith is out on defense:
DeKeyser-Green
Ericsson-Marchenko
Kronwall-Sproul
Smith/Ouellet (extras)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Smith deserves to sit after the last game.

Unfortunately, those d pairs are as close to ideal as you can get with this team. Maybe you swap the Kronwall and E pairing, but not really a whole lot else you can do.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Isabelle Khurshudyan ‏@ikhurshudyan 31m31 minutes ago

Trotz has told Kuzy to emulate Datsyuk. Kuzy: "Trying to copy Pavel, you will have same chances like walk from here to China. Without food."

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I think those are by far the best D pairings I've seen all year. No XO and no Smith should mean significantly fewer odd man rushes and breakaways. The 4th line is pretty stupid and while I get that it doesn't really work because they wouldn't have a 3C, I'd love to see Bert and Sheahan swap spots.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How many games are we going to have to watch Glendening in the top 6 because of that 1 assist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad