Pre-Game Talk: Red Wings @ Canucks || Sat Jan 3/15 || 7PM PST CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Higgins played like Mason Raymond in that game. Nothing but pulling up and buttonhooking, waiting for a braver person to pass to. He's better than that. Don't know what was going on there. But then, he had good company. Looked like an easy game for LA.

Maybe this is what starts to happen when a coach values loyalty over accountability. I'm starting to miss AV in that way.

Av was very loyal to some players, rome, and lapierre come to mind. Also as you mention mason raymond as well, in 2012 people were outraged he did not see more press box time and was frequently a staple in the top six.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Av was very loyal to some players, rome, and lapierre come to mind. Also as you mention mason raymond as well, in 2012 people were outraged he did not see more press box time and was frequently a staple in the top six.

I think he just liked how those guys played. And he was never afraid to do something unconventional, like put Burrows on the top line... Anyway, I shouldn't have mentioned him, because nobody cares about these old arguments anymore

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Coach Willy pressed on his lineup decisions, gets defensive, Via Botch at the Provies:

Not often you get a little edge from Desjardins, but he had some post game when asked if he was pleased with the way Vey played, considering he had him in the lineup ahead of Kassian.

Against the freakin’ Kings.

“It wasn’t Vey over Kassian. There’s lots of other guys. There’s 12 other forwards.

“That was a decision. It was one guy.”

Sure, 12 forwards, OK. But of the 12, 10 are NHL players and two are borderline NHL players. Those would be Horvat and … Vey.

arsmaster*

I just don't like how Stanton lost the battle to Tanner Pearson on the side boards and allowed him to pass the puck all the way across the ice

Miller wasn't beaten short side from a clean Unobstructed look.

That pass had 70 feet to travel. That goal is on miller after he had a very solid game until the final few minutes.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
last 5 games:

Mathias 1G 0A 7 sog

Vey 0G 1A 2 sog

I argued against sitting matthias, my point was its not black and white, you could consider a few people. His one goal was the blowout game vs pheonix when it was out of reach... His one shot tonight was a weak wrist shot way outside the perimeter with no traffic.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just got back from the kings game (my first canucks game, and sidenote why is the pgt already closed? is that normal?) and some initial thoughts on the leadup to the wings game:

* canucks had absolutely no business being close in the game, never mind winning it...really wonder what the plan is with this team considering how badly they're getting outshot/outchanced by divisional opponents

* forward depth was much more of a mirage in person than on tv...guys like vey, dorsett, horvat and hansen were completely ineffective, lost most board battles and noticably floated back on d most of the game (sidenote...have to wonder about an organization that values the development of a young player like vey over a young player like kassian)

* sedins had just an okay game and yet were the only forwards that challenged the kings in their own zone

* easy to notice how much miller guesses and slides out of position...still doesn't look comfortable adjusting to the melanson tactics

* perhaps it was the kings asserting themselves, but the canucks simply looked slow, small and just flat out soft

aside from the downer of an ending, rogers arena was a much nicer experience than i was expecting, albiet it was a bit like going to a pg-era raw event to a fan that grew up with an edgier product...clearly families are the focus at the arena nowadays, and maybe thats best for the sake of inclusiveness

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
last 5 games:

Mathias 1G 0A 7 sog

Vey 0G 1A 2 sog

I will even point out tonight vey at least had a 2 on 1 with higgins and despite the bad pass from higgins, made a good pass back to bieksa, which lead to a scoring chance in the slot (bieksa shot it at quicks crest).

I would have no issue sitting vey, matthias, or some others for kassian.

Last edited:

JD12

Jul 11, 2008
PE, Canada
Does anyone here ever tire of claiming were the worst team in the league after every loss and disappearing after every win?

Didnt think so

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
just got back from the kings game (my first canucks game, and sidenote why is the pgt already closed? is that normal?) and some initial thoughts on the leadup to the wings game:

* canucks had absolutely no business being close in the game, never mind winning it...really wonder what the plan is with this team considering how badly they're getting outshot/outchanced by divisional opponents

* forward depth was much more of a mirage in person than on tv...guys like vey, dorsett, horvat and hansen were completely ineffective, lost most board battles and noticably floated back on d most of the game (sidenote...have to wonder about an organization that values the development of a young player like vey over a young player like kassian)

* sedins had just an okay game and yet were the only forwards that challenged the kings in their own zone

* easy to notice how much miller guesses and slides out of position...still doesn't look comfortable adjusting to the melanson tactics

* perhaps it was the kings asserting themselves, but the canucks simply looked slow, small and just flat out soft

aside from the downer of an ending, rogers arena was a much nicer experience than i was expecting, albiet it was a bit like going to a pg-era raw event to a fan that grew up with an edgier product...clearly families are the focus at the arena nowadays, and maybe thats best for the sake of inclusiveness

Just got back from the game as well, and agree with most of this, plus I'm hoarse from yelling at Bieksa to stop wandering aimlessly around the ice tonight. You can also add Higgins to your list of poor ineffective players this game...

Not sure if our boys were hungover, intimidated, following a poor game plan, or just plain lazy, but they looked like they were playing at half speed and afraid to finish their checks. They showed the Kings far to much respect, and in turn, I lost a little of it in our team.

I feel better after venting, so I'm looking forward to a (hopeful) far greater effort against the Wings on Saturday. In trying to end on a happy note: Happy New Year everyone!

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Cant wait until Hamhuis gets back. Need the Vey permanent spot thing to kinda end too, hes not earning his time.

Vey needs to sit for a few games. Let Kassian draw back in and after a while, sit Horvat to see how Vey responds. My issue is how Willie will use Kassian. Give him a chance with Bonino or the Sedins. It certainly can't hurt. If Kassian fizzles out, then demote him, but all these trade talks before he's even given a lick of top six minutes concern me.

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
Okay, pre-game Detroit it is then.

Vey clearly opened the door for Kassian to step back in. But, so did almost every other winger on the team. I've been on Higgins for awhile now. He isn't a second line winger to begin with. Not even playing to third line status right now.

I would bring Kassian in on the third line with Matthias and Richardson. Let him get his feet going for a few games before moving him up with Bonino. Maybe consider bringing Vey back in on Bonino's left wing if Higgins doesn't start showing a pulse.

Should Miller be starting more than two games in a row? Certainly, Lack has to come in against Detroit. There's no question in my mind that Lack has to play more. Miller is great when he is fresh, but not handling the number of games he has in the past.

And, to the inevitable posts about how we have to acquire such and such players at the deadline, forget it. Highly unlikely this team goes anywhere in the playoffs (assuming we make the playoffs). Continue focus on youth movement.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
From what I'm seeing the canucks have 4 or 5 skaters really firing on all cylinder (well most cylinders). Burrows, Hansen (doesn't always put up points but his work ethic has been terrific), Dorsett, Edler, and Tanev.

The problem is with the exception of the last two on that list, the others simply don't have that many cylinders....

Also like to point out Mike "Saviour" Santorelli has 2 points in his last 8 (-5). At this point he had a hot stretch of 10 or so games...not unlike the similarly placed guys in the canucks lineup (Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows) etc. As fans we tend to get caught looking around the league when the team is struggling to score and a few weeks ago when you did that Santorelli was tearing it up (14 points in a 12 game stretch...10 points his other 26 games). Therefore, he would be a really good to have. The reality is that for the bulk of the year he has also struggled to put up points outside his hot streak. He wouldn't be any more of a difference maker than a multitude of guys who haven't been on the canucks first line have been during there own hot streaks. Bonino was difference maker early. Hansen was a different maker for a few weeks. Burrows has been the last little bit. Now Santorelli vs Vey I'd certainly agree but the organization has to make a choice some time to go with younger but inferior players. Of course I'm not sold on Vey in the least.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
losing board battles is a 50/50

It's not even 50/50 when the other player clearly has the position. I thought Stanton could've pinned him to the boards better but it doesn't always work and a lateral pass through the zone should never work like that. Also Bieksa wasn't in a perfect position to block the shot but he still forced a low % shot and didn't deflect it or even screen Miller.

If you want to analyze it that deeply I'd say Vrbata's inability to block the pass was the biggest mistake that was made and even that was kind of a whiffed pass (Daniel, who by the way started the whole situation when he couldn't control the puck in the middle, and Stanton interfered enough) that fooled him a bit.

But all in all these were all somewhat minor mistakes that should be easily recovered if the goalie was able to make a routine save on a low % shot. Just like the tying goal.

Not saying the Canucks played well, they sucked, and Miller was real solid the first 58 minutes or so, but ultimately he let in 2 bad goals in the last 2 minutes that cost the team 2 points.

Last edited:

Reckage

Mar 12, 2014
From what I'm seeing the canucks have 4 or 5 skaters really firing on all cylinder (well most cylinders). Burrows, Hansen (doesn't always put up points but his work ethic has been terrific), Dorsett, Edler, and Tanev.

The problem is with the exception of the last two on that list, the others simply don't have that many cylinders....

You know, you could actually have a lot of fun with this whole engine thing.

Who are the sparkplugs on the team, Dorsett? Hansen?

Henrik would have to be the distributor.

No idea who would constitute an intake manifold. Certainly, no one could be described as a supercharger.

Anyway, yes, there are definitely too many passengers. Maybe time for Desjardins to re-think his decision not to use farmhands more. Taking away some ice time might motivate a few of these guys to giddyup.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
just got back from the kings game (my first canucks game, and sidenote why is the pgt already closed? is that normal?)
1000 posts reached in the thread - hence it being closed. As to why a new one wasn't created....dunno

Pretty much my thoughts on the game. Score really flattered the Canucks.

Now Santorelli vs Vey I'd certainly agree but the organization has to make a choice some time to go with younger but inferior players. Of course I'm not sold on Vey in the least.
Or go with Santorelli over Sestito (and shove the later in the minors - suspect some team would've saved us the trouble and claimed him off of waivers). Would've still made the trade for Vey in either case. Team needed more skill in the lineup which Vey could've/could potentially provide.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'm not TOO down on last night's loss because we did look very good vs the Sharks, but it does make me wonder about our ability to survive in case we make the playoffs. We seem to be unable to win out vs opponents who get physical early and let ourselves be steadily overwhelmed.

The Sedins looking like they were taking a beating wasn't insomuch as they were completely outmatched, but more that they were the only ones putting themselves in a position to fight for possession in the O-zone in the first place. You didn't see other lines entering the zone like they did in the Vrbata goal.

If someone wants to give something for Bieksa, then by all means. Having another risk-taker like Sbisa eat up ice time exposes his worst. Quite frankly, he's not much without Hamhuis - we've all said that for a while now. The odd goal here and there just isn't worth all the chances he allows to come his way because he was strutting where he shouldn't have been or adding a little lick to a simple play.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Not sure how accurate this could be since I doubt the Canucks have done any practices or let out to the media who Kassian is coming in for or other specific lineup changes.... but for what it's worth...

[Tweet]550916896720035841[/Tweet]

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Not sure how accurate this could be since I doubt the Canucks have done any practices or let out to the media who Kassian is coming in for or other specific lineup changes.... but for what it's worth...

[Tweet]550916896720035841[/Tweet]

He tweeted that after the game. Just his opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad