Pre-Game Talk: Red Wings @ Canadiens Tuesday Nov 2 (7:00 PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Why wasnt Caufield set up on the PP like this

Frankly, he's too good to be in the AHL. This is a complete failure by this team, coaching staff & management.

Kid was only one on our team who could consistently gain offensive zone with puck possession. He was also playing well defensively. Problem is he was overly needed to get the puck from our D zone to O-zone, which, unless your McDavid, is difficult to do AND create offense at other end.

This is a player you get the puck to with speed in transition. He shouldn't be the one creating the transition, which is what he was being asked to do.

We completely fail at any kind of neutral zone transition. We simply don't play at all in that zone defensively.

When KK was 18, I argued he should be in the AHL not NHL and got shouted down.

I'm going to disagree with this board again and say, Caufield should NOT be in the AHL. The failure is not his.

I expect him back up by mid-November if not sooner.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I like Drouin and his story this year but putting him back at C is asking for him to fail. It doesn't help him, his value nor the team.

I'm sure he'll have some good moments but he'll probably have significantly more bad ones over time.

I humbly disagree. When Drouin was first made a center. He had the pressure of the world draped over his shoulders to be the savior. This time with Drouin as a C. The pressure is a lot less, which hopefully will allow him to just play his game. We'll be able to send out 3 offensive lines. After watching Perreault, Evans and Brooks try their best to provide offense. IMO, this is the best option, unless there is a trade for a true 2nd line C in the works.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
being good at face-offs takes time and experience. expecting young centers to be good at them is insane. Hell, there are some very good centers who still suck at face-offs (i.e. MacKinnon)
True. I get that. You'd think it would translate to the pros to some degree though. He can still score in the pros. He can still pass in the pros.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I'm not quite sure I understand how a different "system" will suddenly allow these same players to make shots that they're not making now. They're getting opportunities, but can't seem to put anything on net that isn't right into the center of the goalies mass. Most of these "otherworldly" goalies aren't making spectacular highlight saves. That's a personnel problem, which has been covered ad nauseam. Petry and Gallagher aren't the guys they were. We shouldn't expect anything more. Problem now is getting Suzuki, Anderson, Dvorak, Toffoli to produce. They're just as guilty of not putting shots in the net. Shots that they are getting now and can't connect on. How many crossbars can a professional seriously keep hitting?

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
True. I get that. You'd think it would translate to the pros to some degree though. He can still score in the pros. He can still pass in the pros.

It's an art form though. Most junior players don't practice face offs like they do in the NHL. For example, Crosby sucked at face offs for the longest time. Now after years of practice at the NHL level. He's become quite good at them.

Reactions: Schwang

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Any confirmed line up

No confirmed line-up as this morning was an optional skate. That option will extend to the game, as well. :sarcasm:

What we know:
- Coach confirmed Pezzetta and Belzile will play.
- Gally and Petry are game time decisions. Will take part in the warm up.
- Romanov stayed extra this morning so he may end up a healthy scratch (though that is not confirmed)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I like Drouin and his story this year but putting him back at C is asking for him to fail. It doesn't help him, his value nor the team.

I'm sure he'll have some good moments but he'll probably have significantly more bad ones over time.

I agree. The guy just came back from fighting anxiety and insomnia and you put him in a position he is not comfortable with. I'd say it's borderline criminal and certainly at minimum a total lack of concern for the mental health of the player.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I'll be there tonight taking it all in

cardiff-wales-june-01-a-fan-sits-alone-in-an-empty-stand-during-the-D8N9JM.jpg

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I agree. The guy just came back from fighting anxiety and insomnia and you put him in a position he is not comfortable with. I'd say it's borderline criminal and certainly at minimum a total lack of concern for the mental health of the player.

Considering Ducharme and Drouin have a close relationship. It would be a little surprising to find out that there wasn't a discussion before the decision was made.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
There was definitely one during practice that's for sure ...

It only makes sense. I know not too many of us are big Ducharme fans. But I'd find it hard to believe he'd move Drouin back to center. If Drouin showed him in anyway that he didn't want to try it.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
It's an art form though. Most junior players don't practice face offs like they do in the NHL. For example, Crosby sucked at face offs for the longest time. Now after years of practice at the NHL level. He's become quite good at them.
As well, I'm not sure how much support he gets from his wingers either. They help in winning draws. Still, he sucks at it.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Frankly, he's too good to be in the AHL. This is a complete failure by this team, coaching staff & management.

Kid was only one on our team who could consistently gain offensive zone with puck possession. He was also playing well defensively. Problem is he was overly needed to get the puck from our D zone to O-zone, which, unless your McDavid, is difficult to do AND create offense at other end.

This is a player you get the puck to with speed in transition. He shouldn't be the one creating the transition, which is what he was being asked to do.

We completely fail at any kind of neutral zone transition. We simply don't play at all in that zone defensively.

When KK was 18, I argued he should be in the AHL not NHL and got shouted down.

I'm going to disagree with this board again and say, Caufield should NOT be in the AHL. The failure is not his.

I expect him back up by mid-November if not sooner.
hes not to good for the AHL... he needs to learn pro hockey and his body NEEDS to adjust....

bringing him up last year, in my opinion and if I were GM, was only to appease to fans in the playoffs and hope he plays his lights out being 20y/o

He belongs in the AHL right now in order to refine his skills at pro level........ so does poehling so does galchen... jk, so does drouin FFS lol

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
As well, I'm not sure how much support he gets from his wingers either. They help in winning draws. Still, he sucks at it.

Sadly all our centers suck on face offs this year. Which is why I was hoping we'd add say a Bozak, to help in that area. Suzuki in time will get better though.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No confirmed line-up as this morning was an optional skate. That option will extend to the game, as well. :sarcasm:

What we know:
- Coach confirmed Pezzetta and Belzile will play.
- Gally and Petry are game time decisions. Will take part in the warm up.
- Romanov stayed extra this morning so he may end up a healthy scratch (though that is not confirmed)

Belzile & pezetta in, Romanov healthy scratch... could it be the habs are fully embracing the Wright sweepstakes? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad