Red Wings at the Deadline II

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I will trade Zetterberg and Abdelkader for one world class RW then 1 prospects in summers draft plus one top defensemen. Goodness.

Daniel Cleary - Pavel Datsyuk - new player
Johan Franzén - Stephen Weiss - Gustav Nyqvist
Teemu Pulkkinen - Joakim Andersson - new Prospects
Tomas Jurco - Luke Glendening - Tomas Tatar

New top player - Danny Dekeyser
Niklas Kronwall - Jakub Kindl
Jonathan Ericsson - Kyle Quincey

Jonas Gustavsson
Jimmy Howard

This team is great.

I hold on Red Wings from this day and go forward. Next season I will se out with Zetterberg. Old Player next season. I like JF more than Zetterberg. Maybe one new finnish player of prospects.

did you forget the :sarcasm:?

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
I will trade Zetterberg and Abdelkader for one world class RW then 1 prospects in summers draft plus one top defensemen. Goodness.

Daniel Cleary - Pavel Datsyuk - new player

New top player - Danny Dekeyser

Jonas Gustavsson
Jimmy Howard

This team is great.

I hold on Red Wings from this day and go forward. Next season I will se out with Zetterberg. Old Player next season. I like JF more than Zetterberg. Maybe one new finnish player of prospects.

Yeah let's get rid of those bums(Z & Gator) and replace them with Cleary(...or a bag of pucks) and unnamed new guy. No way that's going to backfire. :yo:

Guess we dumped Helm and Sheahan too. ...and demoted Tatar to a grinder. Oh well...no progress without ouchies...

Last edited:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Seems like the Yotes have been dangling Yandle forever...dood must feel like a yo-yo. At this point I'll be glad when his contract ends and they're forced to do something with him.

Likely they re-sign him to a 5yr deal and then start dangling again.

Phoenix is under a lot of pressure to move Yandle now if they want to maximize their return.

They absolutely blow this year, and will surely blow next year aswell.

They have given Yandle no reason to resign with that sad sack franchise, unless they pay him through the nose.

If they don't trade him now, next year his value will be diminished because of his looming UFA status.
If they had any wits about them, they would really push to move Yandle now.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Phoenix is under a lot of pressure to move Yandle now if they want to maximize their return.

They have given Yandle no reason to resign with that sad sack franchise, unless they pay him through the nose.

If they don't trade him now, next year his value will be diminished because of his looming UFA status.

Totally. At this point I suspect Maloney is just lonely and likes to offer up Yandle year after year so that people have an excuse to call him.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Are they shopping Wideman? Thought he was playing on their 2nd pairing? Tough to see the Flames moving Wideman while they're fighting to hold down a playoff spot.

He has been healthy scratched at times this season too. So its unclear what his status is.

Wideman's contract isn't very good, but If they would be willing to take back Kindl (+), I would be all over that trade.

Kindl is basically 2.4M deadcap. So it would increase the Wings cap number by 2.85M per year for the next 2 seasons. Wideman is definitely 2.85M better than Kind.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013

Daniel Cleary - Pavel Datsyuk - Chris Kunitz

Zdeno Chara - Danny Dekeyser

Jonas Gustavsson
Jimmy Howard

This team is great.

:confused: *unsure if serious*

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
unless yandle has said behind closed doors that he will 100% sign a career contract with them next summer then yu can be sure Yandle will in factget moved.

very few players who are constantly rumoured to be available never end up actually being traded

the yotes are in a full rebuild starting this season, they will move guys out to get younger, faster and deeper.

yandles value will never be as high as it is this year(untill/unless he signs his next contract)

he is available

smith
jurco/pulkinnen
2016 1st rd pick
mckee/some other depth college level prospect few people have ever heard of

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

There will be way more teams interested in Yandle in the offseason then right now. Most contending teams can't fit a player with his salary without moving something else this close to the playoffs. I don't know, I guess if trading Yandle was as high of a priority for Arizona as you suggest he would have been traded by now.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
There will be way more teams interested in Yandle in the offseason then right now. Most contending teams can't fit a player with his salary without moving something else this close to the playoffs. I don't know, I guess if trading Yandle was as high of a priority for Arizona as you suggest he would have been traded by now.

Any trade in the offseason and you are trading for a pending UFA.

TB, DET, ANA, BOS, MTL could all absorb his salary at the deadline. Those are the majority of teams currently looking for defenseman.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can't wait for the day when some other team trades for Yandle...

Don't go breaking my heart.

Get Yandle. Get Petry to come home in the summer.

Kronwall - Petry
Yandle - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Marchenko

Later Smith and Quincey! Eh? Eh?

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012

TB, DET, ANA, BOS, MTL could all absorb his salary at the deadline. Those are the majority of teams currently looking for defenseman.

Imagine the fear in Chiarelli's eyes as he reads the news that Florida has acquired Yandle ahead of the 3 remaining games they have against the Bs. With the B's weak defense this year Yandle could be the difference.

Hey isn't the cat's captain out with an injury... :amazed:

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012

Kronwall - Petry
Yandle - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Marchenko

Later Smith and Kindl. Hey I'll help those guys pack, but I don't want to see Q go. I do like these pairing though. Would like to see Petry signed in the summer.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Kronwall - Petry
Yandle - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Marchenko

Am I missing the boat this badly on Petry? I like his mobility, I like his puck skills, but I don't like him coming from Edmonton or shoving a lot of money at a guy with his track record. And then putting him on the top pairing. Maybe he takes off in a better system, with a better team around him. I don't know. Have to wonder what we end up doing with XO, Sproul, Jensen, and Backman. I figure one of them would be in that Yandle deal (along with one of Quincey/Smith).

I like the idea of re-working the blueline. I'm not a fan of what we have going on. At the very least it'd be interesting.

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
Petry could be a hot mess on the top pairing. This is my main problem with trying to nab him from Edmonton. Don't see any reason to give up assets for a guy that may end up on the bottom pairing...just sign him in the summer if he's available. Meanwhile we can plug in March with Kronwall now and see if he's a tire fire.

Brandel*

I've watched Petry twice in the past couple days and he's looked very good with the puck. I wouldn't mind if we don't do anything though, maybe trade Kindl for a pick if possible :P

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Kronwall - Petry
Yandle - Ericsson
DeKeyser - Marchenko

He's bad. Want to get a ton of scoring from the blueline? Put a forward there. You might even get better defense from one of our forwards than you'd get from Yandle.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Zetterberg for Kunitz? Zetterberg PLUS for Kunitz???

Last edited by a moderator:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I still think it makes more sense for Arizona to trade Yandle for young, NHL-ready players instead of draft picks and prospects. They'll get more of a return in the offseason when teams are retooling. None of those teams you listed are going to want to move roster players or top prospects (Larkin/Mantha). Arizona has had all season long to trade Yandle and still haven't done it. He could easily be moved for picks and prospects right now if they wanted. They're obviously waiting for a better package.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Am I missing the boat this badly on Petry? I like his mobility, I like his puck skills, but I don't like him coming from Edmonton or shoving a lot of money at a guy with his track record. And then putting him on the top pairing. Maybe he takes off in a better system, with a better team around him. I don't know. Have to wonder what we end up doing with XO, Sproul, Jensen, and Backman. I figure one of them would be in that Yandle deal (along with one of Quincey/Smith).

I like the idea of re-working the blueline. I'm not a fan of what we have going on. At the very least it'd be interesting.

You're not missing anything. I was trying to piece together a blueline without Smith, Quincey, and Kindl while also not including guys who aren't on the trade market or are unrealistic acquisitions salary wise. What I came up with is that Yandle is available and Petry is a probably guy the Wings could lure in.

But I doubt Holland parts with the appropriate pieces for Yandle, so it's far more likely a guy like Zidlicky or Petry are the big additions coming with the hopes XO or Marchenko can carry some slack.

I think the Wings need to replace at least 2 of the players on the blueline, maybe 3. Ideally with guys that shoot right and have some more offensive gusto to their game. Petry isn't that guy, but Yandle would be. With Kronwall, Yandle, and DeKeyser on each pairing, you at least have 1 guy you know could potentially set up a nice play.

At the Wings peak, they had Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Kronwall. All guys logging over 20 minutes a game and all guys who were good for over 40 points, at least. In 2008 those 3 guys combined for 160 points. That's a lofty goal, no question, but it's something to begin to aim for with production.

This year, the top 3 scoring Wings defenders are on pace for 92 points. Ouch. Yandle, for all the critics against him, gives an offensive weapon this team hasn't seen since Rafaslki and Lidstrom.

For the record I'd totally be thrilled with Green, too, but I doubt he gets moved this deadline so he's a summer concern.

He's bad. Want to get a ton of scoring from the blueline? Put a forward there. You might even get better defense from one of our forwards than you'd get from Yandle.

This is extremely hyperbolic. He's bad? If Yandle is bad, then holy hell, our blueline is a national emergency DEFCON level disaster. Yandle played in a strict defensive system his entire career, one that made Bryzgalov and Mike Smith look like big contract goalies. He's a weapon in the offensive zone, and that's how he's used, but to think a forward could take his spot or move the puck like him from the backend is completely missing the point of what makes Yandle one of the league's premier puck movers year after year.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Petry could be a hot mess on the top pairing. This is my main problem with trying to nab him from Edmonton. Don't see any reason to give up assets for a guy that may end up on the bottom pairing...just sign him in the summer if he's available. Meanwhile we can plug in March with Kronwall now and see if he's a tire fire.

I think that's a big reason to trade for him, though, if the cost is right. Getting a good look at him and knowing if he's someone we want to sign could be worth some disposable assets to keep us out of a longer deal we could quickly regret. I'm not against just running with the kids for this year, either.

You're not missing anything. I was trying to piece together a blueline without Smith, Quincey, and Kindl while also not including guys who aren't on the trade market or are unrealistic acquisitions salary wise. What I came up with is that Yandle is available and Petry is a probably guy the Wings could lure in.

But I doubt Holland parts with the appropriate pieces for Yandle, so it's far more likely a guy like Zidlicky or Petry are the big additions coming with the hopes XO or Marchenko can carry some slack.

I think the Wings need to replace at least 2 of the players on the blueline, maybe 3. Ideally with guys that shoot right and have some more offensive gusto to their game. Petry isn't that guy, but Yandle would be. With Kronwall, Yandle, and DeKeyser on each pairing, you at least have 1 guy you know could potentially set up a nice play.

At the Wings peak, they had Lidstrom, Rafalski, and Kronwall. All guys logging over 20 minutes a game and all guys who were good for over 40 points, at least. In 2008 those 3 guys combined for 160 points. That's a lofty goal, no question, but it's something to begin to aim for with production.

This year, the top 3 scoring Wings defenders are on pace for 92 points. Ouch. Yandle, for all the critics against him, gives an offensive weapon this team hasn't seen since Rafaslki and Lidstrom.

For the record I'd totally be thrilled with Green, too, but I doubt he gets moved this deadline so he's a summer concern.

Yeah, I think we've talked about this a bit in the past and share similar views about our blueline. It's safe and all, but it's not exactly an asset. On good days it just doesn't actively hurt us.

It looks like we have similar expectations for what will actually happen, too. Unfortunately. I really don't get why we keep screwing around with so many guys who aren't getting it done when we could at least promote the kids who, by all appearances, are ready. XO and Marchenko could both be full-timers with us right now, while sitting Quincey and/or Smith doesn't exactly kill us.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I still think it makes more sense for Arizona to trade Yandle for young, NHL-ready players instead of draft picks and prospects. They'll get more of a return in the offseason when teams are retooling. None of those teams you listed are going to want to move roster players or top prospects (Larkin/Mantha). Arizona has had all season long to trade Yandle and still haven't done it. He could easily be moved for picks and prospects right now if they wanted. They're obviously waiting for a better package.

1) Then what would all of a sudden make Detroit want to trade Mantha/Larkin for Yandle at the draft? They gain zero leverage and lose a ton. (playoff urgency and UFA's available in the offseason without losing assets)

2) They haven't had all season to trade him to DET, BOS, MTL, TB. Only recently can those teams fit Yandle against the cap. All teams with very good young NHL ready prospects.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is extremely hyperbolic. He's bad? If Yandle is bad, then holy hell, our blueline is a national emergency DEFCON level disaster. Yandle played in a strict defensive system his entire career, one that made Bryzgalov and Mike Smith look like big contract goalies. He's a weapon in the offensive zone, and that's how he's used, but to think a forward could take his spot or move the puck like him from the backend is completely missing the point of what makes Yandle one of the league's premier puck movers year after year.

On just pure defensive ability Yandle is worse than anybody we started last night. Now do you take what he does awfully bad with what he does incredibly well... I get those that are interested, but I think Yandle has been quite fortunate to be in Arizona for a while now or people would really be taking him to task for his actual defensive play and total lack of ability in reading simple defensive coverage.

I mean for as often as people light up Karlsson and previously Green (some still do) he makes those guys look like Ryan Suter in terms of their defensive zone reads.

He is lucky that his ability to overrun plays is made up some of the time by his ability to skate his backside right back to fix it. But it is alarming just how often Keith Yandle appears to have no idea what people are tying to do to him given how many games and prime minutes he has logged. His defensive recognition is putrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad