GDT: Red Wings at Rangers

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Just so I understand your point, let's say 2 years from now this team has enough pieces to be competitive and Mantha, Larkin and AA are playing well. At that point can we start caring about other player's production/play? Or will they always get a free pass because they don't matter?

If Blashill has to bench Mantha, AA or Larkin, that's more proof that Blashill is incapable of doing his job.

Whenever we become competitive I think most of this current roster won't make up that future competitive roster. So players like Tatar, Nyquist, Helm, Abby, our current defense roster, etc are done in my eyes as being necessary parts for the future of the Red Wings. As long as they play hard and not lazy, which sets bad examples seeing as how they are the veterans now, then I really dont care what happens to them at this point.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Can we at least wait until he plays 100 games in the NHL before making hyperbolic comments about his career?

I mean that was his whole scouting report in the year he was drafted. Superstar skill set with questionable work ethic

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Can we at least wait until he plays 100 games in the NHL before making hyperbolic comments about his career?

I don't think I said anything hyperbolic. I think if Mantha has a career as good as James Neal, for example, that's a win for a 20th pick. I think if someone with a crystal ball told you on draft day Mantha's cap does, in fact, reaches a poor man's James Neal, I think most folks here would have been ecstatic. That's actually a big compliment. Neal is a consistent 25-30 goal scorer, 60 point guy. -- it's just not a winger you build your team around, nor is it a guy you count on taking over big games.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't think I said anything hyperbolic. I think if Mantha has a career as good as James Neal, for example, that's a win for a 20th pick. I think if someone with a crystal ball told you on draft day Mantha's cap does, in fact, reaches a poor man's James Neal, I think most folks here would have been ecstatic. That's actually a big compliment. Neal is a consistent 25-30 goal scorer, 60 point guy. -- it's just not a winger you build your team around, nor is it a guy you count on taking over big games.

Mantha has shown already he has elite skill and play making ability. He’s absolutely has superstar potential. It’s far too early to try and categorize him as a player. Not sure what the rush is.

Regardless, he’ll be a long term fixture on this team going forward so get used to seeing him in a Red Wings uniform.

Reactions: TheMule93

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Mantha has shown already he has elite skill and play making ability. He’s absolutely has superstar potential. It’s far too early to try and categorize him as a player. Not sure what the rush is.

Regardless, he’ll be a long term fixture on this team going forward so get used to seeing him in a Red Wings uniform.

I think our definition of elite is different from one another. He's shown some really good skill sets and flashes of greatness, I agree. But not elite. And certainly not consistently. I don't think 'Mantha' and 'consistent' will ever be used in the same sentence.

No where am I saying he's not going to be a good player. I think he's already a good player. He's right on par with my expectations. He'll probably have a few high production years like other really good (and inconsistent) goal scorers. My point is Mantha shouldn't ever be expected to drive the bus; he's not elite.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I see Mantha as a guy who will probably have a or two 35-40 goal 70 point season at his peak but should be good for 30 goals for most of his prime.

Which is essentially Jeff Carter, which is something I think we should be thrilled with. Or James Neal, if Neal could stay healthy over the course of a season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Is it safe to say Mantha isn't going to ever be a superstar, but rather a good (inconsistent) goal scorer? Someone that you don't build around, but is someone that helps the team gobble up points in the regular season and will help win a few games in the playoffs.

Blashill needs to accept this and let Mantha be who he is instead of forcing him to become something he's not. Everyone will be happier.
Just a thought experiment: if we had drafted Gauthier instead and Mantha fell to Toronto (who were supposedly targeting him).. imagine this board. Mantha next to Matthews, on a team that can play puck possession hockey and has a dominant offense/PP. Mantha is 23 and flirting with PPG and on pace for well over 30 goals on a team that frankly has a bottom of the barrel D-core, is highly questionably coached, has no prime superstars at any position, and he's playing about 17 minutes per game.

No, right now he's not the guy that plays consistent for 82 games per season. He can't singlehandedly put up 100+ points and hide all the problems of the roster. But at some point this board needs to stop thinking there's nothing in between Gretzky/Crosby/Matthews and "decent complimentary player". Mantha is so far one of the biggest reasons we're even in the hunt for the playoffs. Him and Larkin are, almost, doing this all on their own. If Mantha is actually this good on a bad team while being pretty inconsistent, how can you not see what kind of potential he has? Heck, as good as he is at the net front.. imagine when we can put Rasmussen in front and have Mantha in position to shoot the puck? I see no reason why he can't become a player on the level as some of the players that are or have been part of great cores (Perry/Carter/Marleau/etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad