GDT: Red Wings at Rangers

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Really need the guys who are in lifetime deals to produce, instead of focusing solely on players in their first full season.

I kind of feel like it may not create the greatest locker room environment when guys who haven’t even played 100 NHL games end up the scapegoat while veterans on lifetime deals can’t even win faceoffs for the 20th game this year.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
the amount of ice time that Z is getting is absurd, especially considering his overall poor play this past month

Outside of Howard, Larkin was our best player tonight except for the OT sequence

Reactions: Reddwit

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
- I didn't hate AA on Zetterberg's line.
- Mantha preparing for that one week break in January?
- Howard is a legit goalie.
- Lunquist can/does/did steal games.

Despite the loss, when Wings play like this I can be fine with losing. Unlike Edmonton's game. Hope Dailey is going to be okay and recovers quickly.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Why does blash insist in using dekeyser, one of our slowest dmen and biggest pylon, in OT?

No I'm not blaming him for the goal, that was all Larkin, but I just hate that he sends out the slowest people on the team like dk and Z during OT

I thought DeKeyser was a terrific skater? That's what we always hear... right?

I didn't see the play, but I can see Danny lurching all over the OT ice... and it's pretty ugly. Package him with a 3rd round pick and unload him. 5 more years of this will be difficult to watch/read about.

Reactions: 21 Savage

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I don't know what we as fans have to do to get this coach outta here. There has to be something , someone to voice the fans opinion. Better yet, how is KH upstairs taking this. Colorado and now NYR behind w less than 10 to go and this guy can't coach a team to hold a win. There has to be someone something some ****in where that can help us get his fired Gallant style.
/ rant

Happy Holidays Blashill, thanks buddy

I think I am boarding the trash Blash train. I have given him 2.25 seasons now, and I am not even remotely impressed.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think I am boarding the trash Blash train. I have given him 2.25 seasons now, and I am not even remotely impressed.
Since the 1-0 loss to Buffalo in October they've only had three regulation loses in the last 13 games. Calm down.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Let's be very clear about something. Detroit played very well this game. Lundqvist stole this one. Larkin, Mantha, and AA have been their best players most of the season. If Detroit scores in overtime we're talking about how great this team played tonight. I haven't looked but generally teams that sustain PP and PK numbers that the Red Wings have currently make the playoffs.

How can Lundqvist steal a game that Howard almost stole?
It isn't like New York didn't have a bunch of great chances.
In fact, despite the shot totals, they had the best chances of the game.

Reactions: Reddwit

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Pretty good showing by us tonight. Larkin and AA were flying. Nyquist, Tatar and Z were solid. Howard was really good. Lundqvist is still king.

Reactions: TheMule93

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin looked good until the OT. He needs to learn to play more man to man less zone if he's going to play 3 on 3.

Mantha was invisible but I think that was a result of usage.

AA had a mixed game, a good defensive play and drew a couple penalties but also showed he doesn't think great on his feet visa-vie his ability to distribute the puck on the PP. If he's going to shoot he needs to shot.

Howard played well, but made the game harder for himself than it had to be. I think it was part of bouncing back from the shelling last game.

Z... I think he's starting to show his age a bit.

Tatar looked good for what he is.

Everyone else (aka the interchangeable masses) pretty much looked like just that nothing but interchangeable parts.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Overall, considering what this team is, I was somewhat happy with this game. Most players showed hustle out there tonight, except for the 2nd...we won't talk about the 2nd period.

Still I would want to see more from both Mantha and AA. AA is running into the issue that most speedsters have. They come in so fast they try to do everything themselves but that leads to 1 and done chances. He did try to use his teammates more, which is nice to see, but sometimes those shot choices of his can be better.

For Mantha I say give him the puck, let him be the puck carrier on his line.

I do feel bad for Howard though. Howard is playing some good hockey and it's being wasted

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

Exactly. A weak Nyquist wrister that out of boredom Lundqvist decides to snatch up can't compare to the assault the Rangers unleashed for that little stretch in the 2nd. Should have been 2-0 but they couldn't seem to elevate the puck. MSG ice looked like shit and overall they had a pretty sloppy game.

I'd agree the Wings are a faster team and played with more hustle but if you can't score 5-5 the chances of winning become ultra thin. Tatar with 2 ES goals his last 15 games is the perfect example of how hopeless this roster is.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Just can't understand the negativity on here.

We outplayed NYR for all but half of the second period (where we were hanging on and lucky not to concede), and alongside the soft wristers mentioned Lundqvist stopped breakaways, 2 on 1's, deflections and point blank chances. He's been brilliant against us for the last 6-7 years, so it's not just our current mediocrity. He can steal games and is one of the all time greats....I know it doesn't fit the same old narratives, but he won this for the Rangers. We also hit iron twice.

We are uneven, flawed and lacking in star quality, but it was a good gene we're both goalies were great.

I think putting AA with Nike and Z makes more sense. Mantha was much more effective with Tatar then Nyquist....the swede is a pass first perimeter player. AA's poor passing vision and shoot first attitude is more likely to flourish on a line with 2 pass first guys - and Z and Nyquist will benefit from some real wheels.

Also, Larkin and Mantha have had great chemistry this year.

As for the criticism re contracts, Abby is definitely playing to the value of his so far this year. He obviously has his limitations but all over that ice he's been pretty effective this year.

We are missing Frk both on the PP and dare I say it, at even strength.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Really? You've never seen a tight tie game where both goalies played great and one of them had to lose and both of them got stars?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The Larkin mistake in OT overshadows what was otherwise a good game by him.

I'm still kinda baffled as to how that happens. In 3 on 3, coverage should be pretty clear. If you go to help out Dekeyser you're obviously leaving your man wide open, and right in front of your own net.

Reactions: TheMule93

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Really? You've never seen a tight tie game where both goalies played great and one of them had to lose and both of them got stars?

So nobody stole the game. Both teams had enough quality chances to win. Both teams gave up enough quality chances to lose.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Exactly. A weak Nyquist wrister that out of boredom Lundqvist decides to snatch up can't compare to the assault the Rangers unleashed for that little stretch in the 2nd. Should have been 2-0 but they couldn't seem to elevate the puck. MSG ice looked like **** and overall they had a pretty sloppy game.

I'd agree the Wings are a faster team and played with more hustle but if you can't score 5-5 the chances of winning become ultra thin. Tatar with 2 ES goals his last 15 games is the perfect example of how hopeless this roster is.
What about the wings flurry at the end of the first?

Were those all Nyquist flaccid wristers?

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Really need the guys who are in lifetime deals to produce, instead of focusing solely on players in their first full season.

At this point I only care about Larkin, Mantha, and AA... everyone else I only care when they play lazy and set that bad example.

Give those 3 plenty of playing time, but bench them when need be. Don't need those three to think playing half arsed is acceptable

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
At this point I only care about Larkin, Mantha, and AA... everyone else I only care when they play lazy and set that bad example.

Give those 3 plenty of playing time, but bench them when need be. Don't need those three to think playing half arsed is acceptable

Just so I understand your point, let's say 2 years from now this team has enough pieces to be competitive and Mantha, Larkin and AA are playing well. At that point can we start caring about other player's production/play? Or will they always get a free pass because they don't matter?

If Blashill has to bench Mantha, AA or Larkin, that's more proof that Blashill is incapable of doing his job.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Larkin mistake in OT overshadows what was otherwise a good game by him.

I'm still kinda baffled as to how that happens. In 3 on 3, coverage should be pretty clear. If you go to help out Dekeyser you're obviously leaving your man wide open, and right in front of your own net.

It was a gamble that he lost. He almost took the puck the other way and we are off. Both DeKeyser and Larkin just needed to be harder on the puck. It was a mistake, but the read (well his read he has two choices there) was to double and take off, he didn't execute it unfortunately. But he had his stick on the puck briefly, I can see what he was thinking, but if you're going to go there you must get the puck or you rightfully wear the goat horns which is what has happened. That is a learning experience for Larkin.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Just so I understand your point, let's say 2 years from now this team has enough pieces to be competitive and Mantha, Larkin and AA are playing well. At that point can we start caring about other player's production/play? Or will they always get a free pass because they don't matter?

If Blashill has to bench Mantha, AA or Larkin, that's more proof that Blashill is incapable of doing his job.
It's not that they get a free pass. It's that we're apathetic to their existence. We know what they're going to provide or not provide. I think we're just at the point of saying screw it and riding it out until the next wave arrives and these deals run out.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
So nobody stole the game. Both teams had enough quality chances to win. Both teams gave up enough quality chances to lose.
Lundqvist stole the game by stopping great chances we should have scored on against most goalies.

Howard ALMOST stole the game in the sense that if we had scored one more before OT, we could have said the previous paragraph about him instead.

Anyway you're making a silly semantics claim, you know very well what was meant.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Is it safe to say Mantha isn't going to ever be a superstar, but rather a good (inconsistent) goal scorer? Someone that you don't build around, but is someone that helps the team gobble up points in the regular season and will help win a few games in the playoffs.

Blashill needs to accept this and let Mantha be who he is instead of forcing him to become something he's not. Everyone will be happier.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Lundqvist stole the game by stopping great chances we should have scored on against most goalies.

Howard ALMOST stole the game in the sense that if we had scored one more before OT, we could have said the previous paragraph about him instead.

Anyway you're making a silly semantics claim, you know very well what was meant.

Stealing a game usually means the goalie won a game your team had no business winning.
The Rangers had plenty of reason to feel like they deserved it.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Is it safe to say Mantha isn't going to ever be a superstar, but rather a good (inconsistent) goal scorer? Someone that you don't build around, but is someone that helps the team gobble up points in the regular season and will help win a few games in the playoffs.

Blashill needs to accept this and let Mantha be who he is instead of forcing him to become something he's not. Everyone will be happier.

Not everyone is Pavel Datsyuk or Patrice Bergeron.
Sometimes, a 25-30-goal winger doesn't play great defense.
Sometimes, a goal scorer is streaky or slumpy.
No surprise at all.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I agree, but couldn't somebody make the same argument for AA? Or <insert role player who gets stapled to scoring line for no good reason>? Usage has been a headscratcher up and down the roster for quite some time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad