Speculation: Red Wings and Jimmy close on extension?

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
A $5 million goalie needs to be more than just an average tender. He needs to absolutely stand on his head. Howie is more in the Osgood mould. He's a average to good goalie with the ability to steal an occasional game. I'm a Howie fan, but if that's what he's demanding, then see ya later. 6 or 7 years needs to have a lower, moveable salary. $5 million for 3ish years... Still a little much, but I'd stomach it.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I'd like to see maybe a $3M a year deal with a potential bonus if he plays well and consistant. He is so hot and cold it's obsurred! One night he dazzles in net putting up a brick wall and shutting down the offense the next night he's so weak you are left wondering "who's wearing Howies jersey between the pipes?" Heck, some nights he gets between the pipes with blurry vision (WTF was that about? what was he thinking!!!!?) my point is without a level of consistency he is not worth $5M/year.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
facepalm.jpg

Goalies are overrated in this modern NHL, if you have excellent defensemen and two-way forwards, all you need is a 800k-1.5M goalie to stop the must-have shots.

Defensemen (and two-way forwards) > Goaltender.

Put the money where it's needed, wings have terrible defensemen,

Gustovson (sp is wrong i know) last night.... case closed he is an 800K to 1.2 mil goalie

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
24. Anderson, Craig » G OTT 31 4 $3,000,000

ANderson had like 800k before that contract, was as good as howard, recieved 3M, now howard wanna go from 2.25 to 5!? and he's far from as good as anderson

Could make a longer list

Pre-ms Harding
Jonathan Bernier
Martin Biron
Tomas Vokoun
Sergei Bobrovsky
Anders Lindbäck

etc

Aug 6, 2012
ANderson had like 800k before that contract, was as good as howard, recieved 3M, now howard wanna go from 2.25 to 5!? and he's far from as good as anderson

Could make a longer list

Pre-ms Harding
Jonathan Bernier
Martin Biron
Tomas Vokoun
Sergei Bobrovsky
Anders Lindbäck

etc

And what have any of those goalies accomplished?

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
They are equally or better than Howard and cost alot less than 5M.

Use those 4M on a better D instead

Would you rather pay Howard 4 x 4.5 Million(I dont see this happening) or bring up Mrazek next year with the Monster as our 2 goalies?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Could make a longer list

Pre-ms Harding
Jonathan Bernier
Martin Biron
Tomas Vokoun
Sergei Bobrovsky
Anders Lindbäck

etc

This is completely unfair comparison.

Anderson has only has 2 good seasons, interrupted by a bad one. He will get a BIG raise soon.
Same with harding, and Bernier.

Biron is a back up.
Vokoun took less to join a contender, and then didn't play well enough to earn his big money again.

Bobrovsky is playing well, but was generally not very good in Philly.

Lindback is currently viewed as a failure in TB, as many still think they are looking for goaltending.

Alot of those names are also 24-25 just like howard
Bernier will get his raise once he becomes a starter,... but he has not yet started so wont make big money.

Jimmy has been starting for 3 years.

These are not fair comparisons.

I know we would love to pay our goalie less. But...

5 Million is ok, MOre than 5 is too much.
4-4.5 and we are all ok with it right?

Well welcome to the world of keeping players. Imagine if we have Getzlaf for 8.25 mil a year... Actually imagine Datsyuk asks for 8.25 mil a year. Are you happy about it? NO
Will we pay it if he demands it... likely we will.

We honestly just can't let Jimmy walk.
He will not make 6Mil+ (That we know for sure).
He will make less, but we need him. So it will get done.

I would love it if we could get Jimmy for 3.5-4. But he will cost more than that.

Filppula demanding 5Mil+ is much more of a problem. He is going to price himself out of detroit. Right when we need him the most. Very very interesting if we let him walk. We really shouldn't.

But in a Salary cap world. Overpaying a 2nd liner is ok. But if we overpay a 3rd liner... it will really cost us. What is Filppula?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Howard 4 x 3.5/3.75M I could accept, around Jaroslav Halak value, seem about right. If not, let him walk and sign a UFA keeper in the summer or trade for a decent one and let Mrazek battle with him. Waive gustavsson (since he doesn't have any tradevalue)

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
With Detroit moving East it would be a perfect time to offer sheet Bernier.

Something like $17mil over four years. See if LA really wants to tie up $10 mil in goalies like the Nucks currently have.

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
Would you rather pay Howard 4 x 4.5 Million(I dont see this happening) or bring up Mrazek next year with the Monster as our 2 goalies?

I agree...don't break the bank on Howard...he is a good but not great starter. I would be okay with extending Howard 3-4 years at no more than 4 million. Just not sure how close Mrazek is??

Those of you who are ready to waive the Monster...other teams like Florida would grab him in a heartbeat. It's amazing to me how someone can judge a goaltender who has started only 3 games and has been out a whole month with a groin injury...add to that the lockout and the Monster hasn't played in almost a year. Give the man 10 or more starts before passing judgement.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I agree...don't break the bank on Howard...he is a good but not great starter. I would be okay with extending Howard 3-4 years at no more than 4 million. Just not sure how close Mrazek is??

I know it's not Holland's or Babcock's MO, but Mrazek could probably handle starting duties as early as next season. I mean, the chances of that happening are like, literally .01%, but I think he could handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad