Speculation: Red Wings and Jimmy close on extension?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Whether Howard makes $4M or $5M makes little matter to me. It is the term I would be worried about. We shouldn't expect Howard to be a ~$5M goalie for 7 years. By year 4 or 5 we should start getting Mrazek a good # of starts. I worry we will leave Mrazek out for too long if Howard gets this big contract. Please, Kenny. Do this one right.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
Whether Howard makes $4M or $5M makes little matter to me. It is the term I would be worried about. We shouldn't expect Howard to be a ~$5M goalie for 7 years. By year 4 or 5 we should start getting Mrazek a good # of starts. I worry we will leave Mrazek out for too long if Howard gets this big contract. Please, Kenny. Do this one right.

yeah you gotta think that Mrazek does 2 more full years in the AHL and then in year 3 is a backup and year 4 1b, and then in year 5 is the starter, as Heaton said, the 4 year 16 million dollar is the best deal I think where Howard can still sign a big deal with us or someone else if Mrazek is ready, and its just good asset management thinking about the long-term future of Mrazek, and you also want to capitalize on Mrazek while his earnings may be a bit lower and make the team in front of him a bit stronger, I'd even do a 3 year 15 million dollar deal just for term sake if we need to

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
yeah you gotta think that Mrazek does 2 more full years in the AHL and then in year 3 is a backup and year 4 1b, and then in year 5 is the starter, as Heaton said, the 4 year 16 million dollar is the best deal I think where Howard can still sign a big deal with us or someone else if Mrazek is ready, and its just good asset management thinking about the long-term future of Mrazek, and you also want to capitalize on Mrazek while his earnings may be a bit lower and make the team in front of him a bit stronger, I'd even do a 3 year 15 million dollar deal just for term sake if we need to

3 x 5million is much better than 6 or 7 at 4-5mil. I would hate to see us waste a prospect like Mrazek like we've done with other guys.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if KH agrees on anything more then 5 years or more then 4.5 million cap hit he should be fired on the spot

you dont save money to then blow it on middle of the road players

howie is good but not 6 or more years good nor 5 million a season good

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
if KH agrees on anything more then 5 years or more then 4.5 million cap hit he should be fired on the spot

you dont save money to then blow it on middle of the road players

howie is good but not 6 or more years good nor 5 million a season good

Would 4 years @ $4.75m be acceptable? I know it's really close to $5m, but hey, if that's the magic number... ;)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Would 4 years @ $4.75m be acceptable? I know it's really close to $5m, but hey, if that's the magic number... ;)

too many years pushes Mrazek down to long or causes you to overpay for a backup goalie

too much cap hit reduces available money to be spent on better skaters

i think Howie is solid but not to the point he should cause us to abandon best past practice

thats probably the upper limit in terms of cap hit, contract length though is perfect. call his agent and get'er done

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
too many years pushes Mrazek down to long or causes you to overpay for a backup goalie

too much cap hit reduces available money to be spent on better skaters

i think Howie is solid but not to the point he should cause us to abandon best past practice

thats probably the upper limit in terms of cap hit, contract length though is perfect. call his agent and get'er done

On the phone right now. :D

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
May have just thrown up in my mouth a little. I'd be only moderately disappointed if it was 5 mil for 2 years, but for 6 or 7? Are you ****ing ******** me Holland?

Are you quoting the inner monologue that Mrazek must be having right now? Because I'm pretty sure he's thinking this exact thing, verbatim. Only in Czech.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
You and me both. Five by five would be brutal. Well, potentially anyways. I would rather go three years.

Not gonna get him for three years unless it's 6+ per, I think. Based on this piece by Khan.

I'd be ok with 5x4.5-75 if it doesn't have NTC. It's not ideal but would be ok with it. Ship him out at the end if Mrazek is ready. But 6 or 7 years at 4.5... with NTC.. wouldn't go there.

I'm thinking we won't get him for 4 years or less.

This is just the market these days.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't think Howard is worth a long term deal at that high of a salary either but some of you guys need to dial back your expectations/evaluations of Mrazek.

Mrazek might turn out to be a great goalie but as of right now he's not anywhere near as good as Howard, and probably wont be for a few years if ever. He's played 2 games, one where he faced almost no shots, and another where he looked sub par and some of you seem willing to give him the starting job already.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think Howard is worth a long term deal at that high of a salary either but some of you guys need to dial back your expectations/evaluations of Mrazek.

Mrazek might turn out to be a great goalie but as of right now he's not anywhere near as good as Howard, and probably wont be for a few years if ever. He's played 2 games, one where he faced almost no shots, and another where he looked sub par and some of you seem willing to give him the starting job already.

A lot of that has to do with salary structure, of course that doesn't mean much if we can't sign guys or Perry really does want 9+ million.

Mrazek does have a certain it factor and as a guy that watches a lot Griffins games it does ripple throughout the team. They are a legit AHL championship contender because of him and he has a number 1 mentality, never nervous and never overwhelmed by the moment.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I'm getting sick of these long ass contracts being handed out. I especially don't like them with players that can be as inconsistent as goalies can be.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The Red Wings have, what could be, a stud goalie a couple years from now in Mrazek. What should they do? Bury him in the AHL and sign Jimmy to a lifetime deal. This is getting ridiculous if this is true.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm getting sick of these long ass contracts being handed out. I especially don't like them with players that can be as inconsistent as goalies can be.

I'm with you there. I'd have a hard time handing out a long term deal on a goalie.

Anything over 5 years for Jimmy will be disappointing.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Yeah the hard on for Mrzaek is funny. Same thing happened with Ericsson when he was a prospect, now seems passed on to Nyqvist and Mrazek.

I won't get into that but Howard at around 4.75 for 5 years is fine with me.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I think it's okay to speculate on how a ridiculously long contract for Howie would affect Mrazek, and what he'd think about it. I'd say he feels like he just got Tatar'd on this one (which is the off-ice version of being Kronwalled, but happens far more frequently to prospects).

The organization has high hopes for Mrazek, the Wings have proven that a team can win without a Vezina winner in net, and Howard has been streaky and semi injury prone so far. Not to mention that decent to good goaltending isn't difficult to acquire. IMO, those are decent reasons to not want Howard to get a contract with such a long term. Flexibility is good in the cap age, especially at his position.

I wouldn't give Mrazek the starting job now, but I'd like to see him develop and be able to compete for it in 3 seasons or so. Give Howie a 6 or 7 year deal and Mrazek could be ready to start with Howard still providing a 3-4 year roadblock. Or maybe Mrazek ends up sucking royally- we're still tied to Howard for far too long.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad