Salary Cap: Red Wings 2024-25 - next season cap discussion

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
My concern with Kane is if he decides to walk we have no second line wingers, and even if Raymond and Seider give sweetheart deals that leaves us with not a lot of space to fill that line.

Yzerman might not have any choice but to trade Copp/Holl as cap dumps or buy them out unless he wants to field an even worse team next year. I don't think he is going to bring Kasper into a full-time slot next year after not giving him a single NHL game this year.

In a perfect world he buys out Copp (Andrew Copp Buyout Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps) and trades Holl with a pick to save almost 8 million the next two years and brings Danielson up to 3c. Bring Berggren up full time at 1.5 and rotate him at 3W/4W. Resign Ghost to a slight raise or let him go and target a cheap free agent RD for the third pair to free even more cap space. Team gets younger, faster and more skilled and you have a good deal of cap space to fill the holes on the second line.

Goaltending is still an area of weakness but there isn't much to be done for that.

Raymond (7.5-8.0)-Larkin (8.7)-DBC (7.9)
UFA (??)-Compher (5.1)-UFA (???)
Rasmussen (3.2)-Danielson (.95)-Fabbri (4)
Perron (2)-Veleno (1.25)-Berggren (1.5)

Seider (8-8.5)-Walman (3.4)
Edvinsson (.94)-Petry (2.34)
Chiarot (4.75)-Ghost (4.5)\UFA (??)
Maatta (3)

Husso (4.75)
Lyon (.9)

Reactions: ShanahanMan

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
My concern with Kane is if he decides to walk we have no second line wingers, and even if Raymond and Seider give sweetheart deals that leaves us with not a lot of space to fill that line.

Yzerman might not have any choice but to trade Copp/Holl as cap dumps or buy them out unless he wants to field an even worse team next year. I don't think he is going to bring Kasper into a full-time slot next year after not giving him a single NHL game this year.

In a perfect world he buys out Copp (Andrew Copp Buyout Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps) and trades Holl with a pick to save almost 8 million the next two years and brings Danielson up to 3c. Bring Berggren up full time at 1.5 and rotate him at 3W/4W. Resign Ghost to a slight raise or let him go and target a cheap free agent RD for the third pair to free even more cap space. Team gets younger, faster and more skilled and you have a good deal of cap space to fill the holes on the second line.

Goaltending is still an area of weakness but there isn't much to be done for that.

Maatta (3)

Husso (4.75)
Lyon (.9)
Basically the same lineup ... and that defense, god help us all lol

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Whats an actual Copp buy out look like? 6 years on the books? Much rather just let Perron, Sprong, Ghost, Reimer walk and that's 12ish million freed up plus additional rising cap space. Also Vrana off the books frees up 2.5, 2.7? Suffer with Copp for a couple more years as #3 C.
Never happening thing. Copp might be overpaid but no one else could play his defensive role.

Maybe Red Savage will develop for that. And Copp will be there his contract full years.

Just nonsense pipe-dreaming these buyout dreams, when the problem isn't really on-ice problem. Sometimes you have to overpay to fill a need. Yzerman saw this years earlier than anyone in here.

There's no reason to hate Copp because of the caphit like some buttholes in here do.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Basically the same lineup ... and that defense, god help us all lol

Usually,in situations where you have "basically the same lineup", but have some promising YOUTH in it....

...vets stay the same, but the youth grows and makes it a better team.

Never seen anything like that on sports?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Never happening thing. Copp might be overpaid but no one else could play his defensive role.
Did you watch Copp this year? He sucked at both ends of the ice. He has a reputation as a "defensive C" but he's basically Helm except slower and worse at defense.

I don't really care about his caphit. I care that he ruins whatever line he is on. At this point you could replace him with Danielson and it would be an upgrade.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Usually,in situations where you have "basically the same lineup", but have some promising YOUTH in it....

...vets stay the same, but the youth grows and makes it a better team.

Never seen anything like that on sports?
Your hilarious. Been pushing for the kids to come and saying how this team will never take the next step until the kids showup

That defense is the same as this season minus edvinsson who should have been there game 1. More changes need to be done

Did you watch Copp this year? He sucked at both ends of the ice. He has a reputation as a "defensive C" but he's basically Helm except slower and worse at defense.

I don't really care about his caphit. I care that he ruins whatever line he is on. At this point you could replace him with Danielson and it would be an upgrade.
Think danielson spends a year down in AHL but ya copp is garbage and needs to go. Eat 2 mill and be done with it and put kasper as 3c

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Maatta (3)

Husso (4.75)
Lyon (.9)
SY has to dump/trade Holl, Fabbri, Husso and Matta utilizing picks and/or prospects to do so...

Trade @6m
Lyon

Seider-Walman
SE- UFA@ 5.5-6m
Chariot- Petry
Johansson

DBC-Larkin- Ray
UFA @ 5.5-6M- Compher- Kane @3.5-4m
Rasmussen-Copp-Danielson/Mazur
Fisher-Veleno-Perry/UFA @ 1m

This is the type of lineup we need to see to take another step

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
SY has to dump/trade Holl, Fabbri, Husso and Matta utilizing picks and/or prospects to do so...

Trade @6m
Lyon

Seider-Walman
SE- UFA@ 5.5-6m
Chariot- Petry
Johansson

DBC-Larkin- Ray
UFA @ 5.5-6M- Compher- Kane @3.5-4m
Rasmussen-Copp-Danielson/Mazur
Fisher-Veleno-Perry/UFA @ 1m

This is the type of lineup we need to see to take another step
Yeah, from another angle, buying out Husso instead of Copp and trading for Markstrom or one of the Boston goalies likely gets us into the POs next year. Markstrom/Lyon with Seider and Edvinsson in front of them would be a decent backend.

More than one way to skin a cat.

I don't see Kane signing anywhere for less than 5.5 though.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015

Maatta (3)

Husso (4.75)
Lyon (.9)
Do we really want $1.8mil on the books until 2030? We're gonna wait out that Copp deal at least another year or two. The obvious cap dump is Fabbri at 1 year left at $4mil. He has some positive value as a bottom 6 scorer and whoever takes on the deal won't have to keep him around for long.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah, from another angle, buying out Husso instead of Copp and trading for Markstrom or one of the Boston goalies likely gets us into the POs next year. Markstrom/Lyon with Seider and Edvinsson in front of them would be a decent backend.

We need not only a goalie upgrade but 2 new top four dmen(SE being one of them).

If Kane wants 5.5m, I think we're better off going in a different direction (Marchesssault as an example)

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
We need not only a goalie upgrade but 2 new top four dmen(SE being one of them).

If Kane wants 5.5m, I think we're better off going in a different direction (Marchesssault as an example)
Edvinsson-Petry was actually not that terrible a pairing. It's more likely we replace the 2RD after next season with either a free agent or ASP (if he comes to GR next season).

Again, not a fan, but that's what I think happens.

I think Kane is gone. Someone with a better shot at the playoffs and more cap flexibility will offer him 5 or 6 to try and buy the cup. I wouldn't mind slotting Berggren in his spot as long as we signed someone with grit and size to play the opposite wing.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I wouldn't mind Toffoli as a Kane contingency. Either way a young guy or two are going to fill some spots on Forward due to the cap. We'll see if Berggren gets traded or not. After him next up is probably Kasper. The thing with saying we need x y and z is x and y aren't always available. Only avenue we can get a legit starter is through trade. We'd probably have to trade our 1st and then some for one. I'd be willing to do it but idk if it fits Yzermans patience MO.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'd be willing to do it but idk if it fits Yzermans patience MO.
The question is who runs out of patience first: Larkin or Yzerman? Yzerman might have an infinite leash from Chris Ilitch but if Larkin demands a trade the team is dead in the water.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Do we really want $1.8mil on the books until 2030? We're gonna wait out that Copp deal at least another year or two. The obvious cap dump is Fabbri at 1 year left at $4mil. He has some positive value as a bottom 6 scorer and whoever takes on the deal won't have to keep him around for long.

I agree that a Copp buyout looks a lot better after one more season. His play is dropping off, so it needs to be evaluated season by season. He'll get bought out when he's no longer a serviceable player, like Abby and Nielsen. If he hasn't recovered from surgery by now, he's not ever going to. I remember a similar situation with Brooks Laich, except he was even worse both before and after injury.

I don't see a reason to dump Fabbri, just keep him and let his contract expire. Gives Kasper/Dani/Mazur time to develop in GR. They can be brought up after the deadline like Ed, and Fabbri can sit.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The question is who runs out of patience first: Larkin or Yzerman? Yzerman might have an infinite leash from Chris Ilitch but if Larkin demands a trade the team is dead in the water.
I agree. I'm hoping we start looking for opportunities to add significant Kong term pieces. DeBrincat was a good start but we need more.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I actually hope Larkin has a very tough exit interview in which he lays it all out...either improve the roster with some significant upgrades or I want out

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Next year should absolutely be playoff or bust considering we missed by 1 point.

I’m worried though on how we’re gonna replace Kane’s offense if he walks. He was a PPG player.
The wings should make steady progress, (depending upon goalies, so I would think a 6-10 point range improvement for 2024/25 is the expectation) but there is another bubble team out there that didn't make it this year, that I expect to bounce back.

I expect New Jersey to be closer to the 100 point mark (once they get a goalie) next season, so I could see the wings get 97-100 points next year and still not get in.

If the cut off is 95 points or less, yeah they should be in.

I honestly don't think Kane leaves, he picked the wings and I think he is looking at cementing his personal records, the wings scored a lot more goals this year and they have a lot of depth. Even if he doesn't play with the Cat all the time, I can see a new 2 kids and a goat line before the end of next season.

SY needs to fine some line-mates for him and make sure there are suitable maintenance days afforded, but I suspect he'll get signed once the dust settles and SY knows how much Cap he has to play with. (Unless the last original 6 to play for, the Bruins make an offer he can't refuse)

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I also think people should temper their expectations about what will be done over the summer.
How pie-in-the-sky is it to wonder about what kind of trade package it would take to acquire another center that's currently (as in ready NOW) comparable to Larkin? (No sarcasm)

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Ducks fan here with a proposition. Would anybody here be interested in a swap of Husso for Gibson? The Ducks could definitely retain on Gibson to make his contract more palatable and less risky. Obviously, if you were to ask for 50% retention, then I would ask for a decent asset in addition to Husso.

I totally understand that there is some apprehension with the idea of acquiring Gibson, but I do genuinely believe he would put up significantly better numbers on a competitive team. Gibson typically plays the first half of the season at an average to above average starter level, but once it’s clear that the team is out of playoff contention, his play falls off a cliff, which craters his stats. I get that he’s a risk, but with enough retention, he should definitely be a worthy gamble, and one with much more upside than Husso.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
How pie-in-the-sky is it to wonder about what kind of trade package it would take to acquire another center that's currently (as in ready NOW) comparable to Larkin? (No sarcasm)
You'd probably have to buy out Copp to make that work.

We also already have a center who will hopefully be comparable to Larkin playing in Portland.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

it's a pretty big pie. Not only does one have to be available, but we have to have pieces we're willing to deal to make it happen. If the guy is on the last year of his contract, you're looking at a minumum of what Horvat was moved for. If he's got years left on his contract, and they are likely to be good years (like a 25 yr old with 3-5 years left) then you're paying more.

The only other way is if we can buy low on a guy like Lindholm who has maybe damaged his value a bit and he finds that extra gear again with us.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree that a Copp buyout looks a lot better after one more season. His play is dropping off, so it needs to be evaluated season by season. He'll get bought out when he's no longer a serviceable player, like Abby and Nielsen. If he hasn't recovered from surgery by now, he's not ever going to. I remember a similar situation with Brooks Laich, except he was even worse both before and after injury.

I don't see a reason to dump Fabbri, just keep him and let his contract expire. Gives Kasper/Dani/Mazur time to develop in GR. They can be brought up after the deadline like Ed, and Fabbri can sit.

depends if we need that cap space for some reason. If we're moving fabbri (or copp or whoever) I think it's to make room for another deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Your hilarious. Been pushing for the kids to come and saying how this team will never take the next step until the kids showup

That defense is the same as this season minus edvinsson who should have been there game 1. More changes need to be done

Think danielson spends a year down in AHL but ya copp is garbage and needs to go. Eat 2 mill and be done with it and put kasper as 3c
With a late birthday, he is eligible for the A this upcoming season. Probably the best place for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad