Salary Cap: Red Wings 2014-15 season (Cap estimates)

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Where have I done that?

And just for the record, I've watched ~20 Sabres games and ~15 Devils games.

You contradicted my statements and your only proof is your opinion and eye test.

PS, 15-20 games is a ridiculous small sample size. You can't make any objective conclusions based on that small of a sample, especially with the subjective 'eye test.'

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like 'em both, but I feel that Tallinder is about even with Ericsson, and Kronwall is generally better than Zidlicky. It'd be an interesting pair to have for sure, but it'd meddle a lot with our defensive structure. It'd be nice to add one veteran d-man though, I'd love Zidlicky. A Rafalski-light.

Tallinder's unnecessary, and this is the third season in a row he's missed a decent chunk of time with an injury. Let someone else roll the dice on his health. Agree about Zidlicky, right hander to boot (maybe we'll get a forward off one of the points on the powerplay...).

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
I highly doubt he makes it to UFA, but I would also have an interest in Matt Niskanen. He and DeKeyser could make a nice pairing.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Wasn't Hamhuis a local boy who took a discount? Be hard to get him to waive that NTC, if so.

He's got one more year left on his contract, and Vancouver is pretty much going to have to rebuild. I'm not gonna pretend to know the heart of Hamhuis, but I would think he'd be interested in moving on to a contender.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He's got one more year left on his contract, and Vancouver is pretty much going to have to rebuild. I'm not gonna pretend to know the heart of Hamhuis, but I would think he'd be interested in moving on to a contender.

Hamhuis wants to be a Canuck. He is from there, signed a less-than-market-price deal, and didn't sign with teams despite them trading for his rights before July 1st IIRC.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Hamhuis wants to be a Canuck. He is from there, signed a less-than-market-price deal, and didn't sign with teams despite them trading for his rights before July 1st IIRC.

Like I said, I don't know. Vancouver was a good team when Hamhuis joined. Now it's a dumpster fire ran by the circus ring-leader known as John Tortorella. They traded both their goaltenders away, and it doesn't seem like a cup is in the future. Maybe Hamhuis is content with playing in Vancouver regardless. He's a fine Dman.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

He's signed through 15/16. I'm not sure he'd see us as being any higher on the contender list than the 'nucks, though.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Dan Boyle just seems your typical Ken Holland signing.

Kind of like when I heard that David Legwand was available... You just knew it.

Honestly, any of Zidlicky/Timonen/Boyle/Markov seem like Holland signings. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in touch with all of their agents should they reach free agency, and I wouldn't mind seeing any of those guys signed, although I'd prefer Boyle or Zidlicky.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Don't think there's a chance that he makes it to UFA with the uncertainty surrounding Letang's future and the likely departure of Orpik.

Agreed.

Pittsburgh will also be looking to make a splash on the UFA D-man front.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Am I the only one who would be leery of Niskanen maintaining this season's production throughout the next several seasons? Not saying he couldn't, but looking at his career, and one of those seasons isn't like the others.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Am I the only one who would be leery of Niskanen maintaining this season's production throughout the next several seasons? Not saying he couldn't, but looking at his career, and one of those seasons isn't like the others.

He's on pace to hit 47 points, so no I don't think he'll maintain that kind of production, but he did have 35 points through 80 games as a 22 year old sophomore with Dallas. I think he's certainly capable of 30+ points, especially as a Penguin.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's on pace to hit 47 points, so no I don't think he'll maintain that kind of production, but he did have 35 points through 80 games as a 22 year old sophomore with Dallas. I think he's certainly capable of 30+ points, especially as a Penguin.

As a Penguin, yeah, I definitely agree. I think he'd have a harder time of it here, though. Seems like a guy who is in a great situation to make the most of what he has.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Alfredsson decides to call it a career, really hope we pick up Kulemin or Setoguchi.

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Legwand-Datsyuk-Setoguchi
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abdelkader-Helm-Ferraro

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Zidlicky
Smith-Marchenko

Gives us 2 rightys on forward, and 2 more on D :)

Or we could give Datsyuk that Russian winger he's always wanted (total speculation, but maybe it's true ;))

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Kulemin-Datsyuk-Legwand
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abdelkader-Helm-Ferraro

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Zidlicky
Ouellet-Smith

At this point Weiss hasn't been a useful/good hockey player in about 3 years. Pretty much done with him, might as well buy him out and eat his contract.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

That season was 100% Sergei Zubov. Like White with Lidstrom.

Niskanen is awful defending.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
At this point, I'm starting to think it would be a better idea to promote Oullett and Marchenko rather than signing someone. There aren't any decent point-producing puck moving Dmen. The good ones will probably be re-signed. At this point, we're better off targeting Anton Stralman/Matt Greene type Dmen who move the puck and defend well, but don't rack up points. I think Oullett and Marchenko are mature enough to fill those roles well.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I got an ugly feeling we're going to end up not making any moves beyond re-signing RFA and we're going into next year with Lashoff, Kindl, and Almqvist battling it out for the bottom pairing.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I got an ugly feeling we're going to end up not making any moves beyond re-signing RFA and we're going into next year with Lashoff, Kindl, and Almqvist battling it out for the bottom pairing.

I know Almquist has plenty of negatives, but I really think he should be looked at due to his positives. I'm still unsure on Quincey returning as well. Defense is odd right now as you have your top three (Kronny, DD, Ericsson), and pretty much Smith will stay put. Quincey could return. If not, I see a right handed veteran (Zidlicky, Gilbert, etc). I just don't see Marchenko and Almquist both up at the same time. I however would would be fine with Marchenko as the #6 and Almquist as the #7.

Kindl needs to be moved.

Another thing I found odd was Drew Miller out of a few line-ups. He's been the #1 penalty killer on a damn good PK. He's been a regular as well. I just can't see him dealt or having to rotate in.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Another thing I found odd was Drew Miller out of a few line-ups. He's been the #1 penalty killer on a damn good PK. He's been a regular as well. I just can't see him dealt or having to rotate in.

I could see a transitional year with our penalty-killers.

Maybe Miller will start the season as a main penalty killer (tie goes to veteran plan again), but his duty next year is to shift those PK-skills to our kid generation. Helm, Andersson, Sheahan, Ferraro and Callahan are our future penalty-killers. Those last three have been nothing but great at Griffins PK.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I could see a transitional year with our penalty-killers.

Maybe Miller will start the season as a main penalty killer (tie goes to veteran plan again), but his duty next year is to shift those PK-skills to our kid generation. Helm, Andersson, Sheahan, Ferraro and Callahan are our future penalty-killers. Those last three have been nothing but great at Griffins PK.

Still don't see it. Miller is Babs' main guy there on a legit PK. I can't see Miller being overcome by rookies right now.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Like I said, I don't know. Vancouver was a good team when Hamhuis joined. Now it's a dumpster fire ran by the circus ring-leader known as John Tortorella. They traded both their goaltenders away, and it doesn't seem like a cup is in the future. Maybe Hamhuis is content with playing in Vancouver regardless. He's a fine Dman.

Very true. I just see them trading guys like Edler and Bieksa before Hamhuis or Garrison. It would be like us trading Legwand 2 seasons from now after re-signing him for 4 years, or whatever. We got him to uproot his situation and come home. But yeah, Vancouver will likely need to make some changes.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I agree Miller won't be passed by kids. Babcock is literally in love with him. He is a solid PK guy. He has the 4th line LW spot locked down at the very least.

Assuming everyone is healthy, our bottom 6 probably looks like

Abdelkader - Legwand/ Weiss - Tatar
Miller/ Callahan - Helm/ Sheahan/ Andersson - Glendening/ Ferraro

Can assume that Helm will be injured for at least a chunk of time. Andersson and Sheahan will get preference over smaller players. Glendening will get preference over Ferraro and Callahan because of experience. Miller won't come out of the line up unless he is hurt. Ferraro and Callahan will be battling for every second of ice time they get next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad