Salary Cap: Red Wings 2014-15 season (Cap estimates)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Okay, here are my estimations for the next season.

I have made these moves:

Out from Detroit:
- Bought out RW Jordin Tootoo with a compliance buyout, no caphit.
- Let walk UFA D Kyle Quincey and his 3.775M caphit.
- Let walk UFA RW Mikael Samuelsson and his 3.0M caphit.
- Let walk UFA W Todd Bertuzzi and his 1.875M caphit.
- Let walk UFA W Dan Cleary and his 1.75M caphit.
- Let walk UFA G Jonas Gustavsson and his 1.5M caphit.
- Let walk UFA RW Patrick Eaves and his 1.2M caphit.
- Let walk RFA C Cory Emmerton and his 533k caphit.
Also released rights for prospects F Willie Coetzee, F Andrej Nestrasil and D Gleason Fournier. Kept the rights for D Max Nicastro and W Trevor Parkes.

To stay at Detroit:
- Re-sign RW Daniel Alfredsson, with same style of 3.5M + 2.0M bonus deal. This gives us some extra flexibility with the cap.
- Re-sign D Danny DeKeyser, for 18 million, 6-year deal (3.0M caphit)
- Re-sign W Tomas Tatar for 6 million, 3-year deal (2.0M caphit)

New faces on Red Wings 23-man roster:
- Promote C Riley Sheahan from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 2-year deal with 900k caphit.
- Promote D Adam Almquist from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 3-year deal with 700k caphit
- Promote RW Landon Ferraro from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 3-year deal with 700k caphit.
- Promote RW Mitchell Callahan from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 3-year deal with 600k caphit.
- promote G Petr Mrazek from Grand Rapids.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($2.000m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Landon Ferraro ($0.700m)
Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Mitchell Callahan ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($3.000m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Adam Almquist ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,069,545; BONUSES: $195,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $9,030,455

First AHL-callups on injury cases would be Tomas Jurco, Luke Glendening, Calle Järnkrok, Teemu Pulkkinen, Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul, Alexey Marchenko and so on.

So promoting all kids who'll lose their waiver eligibility (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist) and letting the dead weight walk, we will have a full 23-man roster already for next season.

And after that, there would be 9 million of cap space. Or 7 million, depends how do you want to think of it, because that Alfie bonus will slide to 2014-15 cap from this current season. But if we extend Alfie with same style of deal, we can create that that 2.0M room back to 9 million.

So there would be space to made a MEGA-UFA SPLASH on Free Agency, or just let that cap space grow towards the 2014-15 trade deadline, where we could eat almost 30 million of contract values. That's nothing but very very interesting situation. :) Either way, we could bolster the team at summer, or be a big buyer at the deadline again. Or maybe both.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I have made these moves:

Out from Detroit:
Also released rights for prospects F Willie Coetzee, F Andrej Nestrasil and D Gleason Fournier. Kept the rights for D Max Nicastro and W Trevor Parkes.

To stay at Detroit:
- Re-sign RW Daniel Alfredsson, with same style of 3.5M + 2.0M bonus deal. This gives us some extra flexibility with the cap.

- Promote C Riley Sheahan from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 2-year deal with 900k caphit.
- Promote D Adam Almquist from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 3-year deal with 700k caphit
- Promote RW Landon Ferraro from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 3-year deal with 700k caphit.
- Promote RW Mitchell Callahan from Grand Rapids, re-signed to 3-year deal with 600k caphit.

FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Adam Almquist ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------

So promoting all kids who'll lose their waiver eligibility (Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan, Almquist) and letting the dead weight walk, we will have a full 23-man roster already for next season.

And after that, there would be 9 million of cap space. Or 7 million, how do you want to think it, if that Alfie bonus will slide to 2014-15 from this current season. But if we extend Alfie with same style of deal, we can take that that 2.0M room back to 9 million.

So there would be space to made a MEGA-UFA SPLASH on Free Agency, or just let that cap space grow towards the 2014-15 trade deadline, where we could eat almost 30 million of cotract values. Insane. Either way, we could bolster the team at summer, or be a big buyer at the deadline again. Or maybe both.

Love it, You pretty much have the same idea as me. I was pretty much thinking this exact same lineup.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
That's pretty much exactly what I think will happen. Only thing I have no real idea on is the Dekeyser contract. I would love to lock him up for 6 years though.

I could also see them trying to sign another vet and trying to pass Callahan or Ferraro through waivers. Would it also make more sense to sign a stop gap to be Jimmy's backup and let Mrazek have another year in GR with Paterson as the backup.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

I have made these moves:

Out from Detroit:

To stay at Detroit:

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Adam Almquist ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.595m)

BUYOUTS
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------

And after that, there would be 9 million of cap space. Or 7 million, depends how do you want to think of it, because that Alfie bonus will slide to 2014-15 cap from this current season. But if we extend Alfie with same style of deal, we can create that that 2.0M room back to 9 million.

So there would be space to made a MEGA-UFA SPLASH on Free Agency, or just let that cap space grow towards the 2014-15 trade deadline, where we could eat almost 30 million of cotract values. Insane. Either way, we could bolster the team at summer, or be a big buyer at the deadline again. Or maybe both.

the biggest pay outs this ummer will be to
-Vanek 7 years at 8 million(or 8 years at 7.5 or so in the Isles)
-Gabby 5 years at 6.75 million
-Statsny 7 years at 6.5 million(or 8 years at 6 million or so in Col)
-Callahan 6 years at 6 million
-Girardi 5 years at 5.5 million
-Moulson 5 years at 5.5 million
-Boyle 3 years at 6 million(maybe a little less in SJ)

I dont see any of these guys getting that kind of money here in detroit but getting it somewhere else

If we spend any of that 9 million it will be because we made a trade for a top 3 dman, otherwise I expect to see us well below the cap ceiling next season

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Please let that be the forward group next year.

And please let us let all those guys walk this summer.

I would prefer our 3rd pair on D to be veteran UFA + Ouellet over Lashoff and Kindl, but other than that I hope everything you said in your post happens.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's pretty much exactly what I think will happen. Only thing I have no real idea on is the Dekeyser contract. I would love to lock him up for 6 years though.

Yeah, we can discuss about his value and hope for a long contract, but those final numbers won't be any kind of factor on our bigger plan. There will lots of room to operate. :)

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Now way Dekeyser signs a 6 year deal for $3M per year. Maybe 3 years, but no more.

Tatar will probably get more than $2M as well. We have a crap load of cap-space and both their agents will know it.

But either way, we will still have a ton of cap space, using it is going to be the hard part. Very little available in FA, but there may be some good players available via trade or cap dumps.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think either party will want to lock themselves up for a contract that long when DD will have only played a season and a half.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think either party will want to lock themselves up for a contract that long when DD will have only played a season and a half.

Maybe a Roman Josi -type of deal? 6 years, 4.0 million per.

But 3 million per for 4 years would work also with DD.

I would be ready to gamble with him with a very long contract, like we did with Kronwall and Filppula on earlier days. Those were 5-year deals with 3.0M caphit after the ELC.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would be ready to gamble with him with a very long contract, like we did with Kronwall and Filppula on earlier days. Those were 5-year deals with 3.0M caphit after the ELC.

Me too. I hope the wings are thinking the same thing.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

The difference is those two were drafted and part of the system for a few years before given those deals.

Dekeyser hasn't even been in the system for one.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

hamonic did deal like that too.

i'd do 6 years at 4. would prefer to keep it lower but i'd probably sign that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
F group looks good if weiss is top6er.

D would need help imo but UFA next offseason doesn't seem to offer that.

ideally, another kronwall. not maybe realistic.

Yeah, there would be that Kindl-trade to be made for a defensive defenceman to fix that defence balance of guys to a better mix.

Maybe that would eat ~1.0-1.5 million of capspace to get a "bradstuart" -style of player in the price region of 3.5-4.0M and getting rid of Kindl's 2.4M caphit.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, there would be that Kindl-trade to be made for a defensive defenceman to fix that defence balance of guys to a better mix.

Maybe that would eat ~1.0-1.5 million of capspace to get a "bradstuart" -style of player in the price region of 3.5-4.0M and getting rid of Kindl's 2.4M caphit.

I think it'd be smarter to trade Kindl for pick and/or prospect then just sign a veteran UFA D as a stop-gap until our wave of D prospects come.

Perd Hapley

Ya Heard With Perd
Jul 9, 2010
I like it but I wouldn't mind trading Kindl in the offseason for a more experienced defender who can play the pk. That way we can bump Lashoff out and move Almquist in to help the second powerplay out. Maybe someone like Mark Stuart or Derek Morris who is a UFA this summer would be better to have than Kindl, who may need a move to get back to what he was last year. That way we have:

Kronwall-Ericsson
DD-Smith
Almquist-vet stay home d
Lashoff

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I agree for the most part. I still would like Holland to find a top 4 defenceman via free agency. I know there aren't many names out there, but there still are a couple who could help the team out.

Also, I'm not really sold on Ferraro. I know the Wings management don't like to lose players for nothing, and he will probably get a shot at the NHL level, but I would either sign another forward to play 3rd/4th line, or promote Jurco. Ferraro is just "meh" to me. I do like Callahan, and would give him a shot as the 14th forward, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either if we waive him and he gets claimed.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i'd go after that top 4 puck mover. pair him with dekeyser. smith and lashoff/almquist on third pair.

if can't get one, too expensive or whatever, i'd go with what you proposed.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

To stay at Detroit:

As long as those let go happens I will be happy.
I think Dekeyser will sign a shorter deal.
If they want to sign for 6 years I think money will be closer to 4M.
Tatar might also get close to 3M. (just going on the safe side)
Which will leave us with 7M/5M (bonus).

FAs will get ton of money this summer with the cap bump to 70M.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i don't think tatar has the leverage to ask for 3 mil. unless he absolutely blows up offensively.

kadri got 3 mil, as did stepan and they have a lot better track records, though they were only 2 years.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada

I think it'd be smarter to trade Kindl for pick and/or prospect then just sign a veteran UFA D as a stop-gap until our wave of D prospects come.

I like it but I wouldn't mind trading Kindl in the offseason for a more experienced defender who can play the pk.

I would actually like to find a guy who is a defensive guy but keep Kindl around. Somebody who we can sign for 1-2 years.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
i don't think tatar has the leverage to ask for 3 mil. unless he absolutely blows up offensively.

kadri got 3 mil, as did stepan and they have a lot better track records, though they were only 2 years.

I know what you mean. I just want to play the safe side (on how much cap space we will have). If he signs for less, more cap space. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad