Prospect Info: Red Wings #1 prospect

Who is #1 prospect

• Total voters

J15

Mar 18, 2009
Cup? I can see them being a playoff bubble team in 3 years, and wouldn't be shocked if we do make the playoffs in 22-23, but we have a lot of work to do to be mentioned as Cup contenders. There is no guarantee at all that all these nice prospects will even reach their NHL potential. IF (and this is a big IF) they all do reach their potential, then maybe in 5 years time we will be competing for the Cup, but hoping we are contenders in 3 years is just going to set you up to be disappointed.

2020-2021: Basement dwellers again, much improvement from last year and the team will be competitive, but there isn't enough here to escape the bottom 5 teams.

2021-2022: I think the team makes huge strides next season with an influx of rookies making the team full time from the start of the season. They will be fun to watch, and a competitive young team who will keep afloat, but ultimately won't be good enough to reach the playoffs.

2022-2023: Playoff Bubble team if all goes well. May get in, may not.

2023-2024: Playoff team, should be ready to make it by 23-24, but don't see us as true contenders yet.

2024-2025: Massive improvements, hopefully go on a run and make a bit of noise.

2025-2026: Cup Contenders.

This in my mind is also BEST CASE scenario, if all goes well I think this trajectory is possible.
I think we desperately need to find an elite 1C. Unfortunately next year doesn't look to be a particularly deep draft for centers near the top, and I'm afraid we won't be a lottery team for the Wright/Savoie draft in 2022 or Bedard draft in 2023. I love Raymond but man we really got screwed by the lottery, Byfield or Stuzle would have fit the rebuild perfectly. I guess we pray for Barkov, or do something wild like trade our 2021 1st round for a 2022 1st with a team like Chicago, Montreal, Florida that will likely be worse in 2022 than 2021. Maximize odds at Wright/Savoie.

Reactions: RedWingzz
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think we desperately need to find an elite 1C. Unfortunately next year doesn't look to be a particularly deep draft for centers near the top, and I'm afraid we won't be a lottery team for the Wright/Savoie draft in 2022 or Bedard draft in 2023. I love Raymond but man we really got screwed by the lottery, Byfield or Stuzle would have fit the rebuild perfectly. I guess we pray for Barkov, or do something wild like trade our 2021 1st round for a 2022 1st with a team like Chicago, Montreal, Florida that will likely be worse in 2022 than 2021. Maximize odds at Wright/Savoie.

Yeah true, but if we look at recent draft lotteries, we are all very aware that the worst teams don't always win the lottery picks. So maybe, just maybe, we get rewarded in a draft lottery one of these years...(I know, the Wings winning a lottery is crazy!), but maybe we find a way to get that first pick in 2022 and get Wright without being the worst team in the NHL.

Knowing our lottery luck, the league will probably change the odds drastically as soon as we are out of the basement, and will start to reward the junk teams with better odds. It only makes sense for the odds to change as soon as Pittsburgh reaches rock bottom in a few years :sarcasm:

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Yeah true, but if we look at recent draft lotteries, we are all very aware that the worst teams don't always win the lottery picks. So maybe, just maybe, we get rewarded in a draft lottery one of these years...(I know, the Wings winning a lottery is crazy!), but maybe we find a way to get that first pick in 2022 and get Wright without being the worst team in the NHL.

Knowing our lottery luck, the league will probably change the odds drastically as soon as we are out of the basement, and will start to reward the junk teams with better odds. It only makes sense for the odds to change as soon as Pittsburgh reaches rock bottom in a few years :sarcasm:
Getting Wright at the end of this long period of awful lottery luck would make up for it in a huge way. I could also settle for a Lambert or Savoie too ;).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Getting Wright at the end of this long period of awful lottery luck would make up for it in a huge way. I could also settle for a Lambert or Savoie too ;).

What is reliefing, all those 2022 top forwards are righties. So we would get Rh center with Ramond and Niederbach on the mix. Finally some skill righties on the offense.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Agreed that we really need a top C. Luckily I don’t see this team exiting the basement for a few more years at least. Next year isn’t going to be drastically different when all the new kids will be rookies. I think we’ll be squarely in the bottom 5 in 2022 as well.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I went Zadina as he is mainly done being a prospect otherwise would have went Mo.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I like mo but can’t vote for him as he won’t be a #1 on this team due to the drafting of Owen power next year:D

Reactions: Gniwder

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Cup? I can see them being a playoff bubble team in 3 years, and wouldn't be shocked if we do make the playoffs in 22-23, but we have a lot of work to do to be mentioned as Cup contenders. There is no guarantee at all that all these nice prospects will even reach their NHL potential. IF (and this is a big IF) they all do reach their potential, then maybe in 5 years time we will be competing for the Cup, but hoping we are contenders in 3 years is just going to set you up to be disappointed.

2020-2021: Basement dwellers again, much improvement from last year and the team will be competitive, but there isn't enough here to escape the bottom 5 teams.

2021-2022: I think the team makes huge strides next season with an influx of rookies making the team full time from the start of the season. They will be fun to watch, and a competitive young team who will keep afloat, but ultimately won't be good enough to reach the playoffs.

2022-2023: Playoff Bubble team if all goes well. May get in, may not.

2023-2024: Playoff team, should be ready to make it by 23-24, but don't see us as true contenders yet.

2024-2025: Massive improvements, hopefully go on a run and make a bit of noise.

2025-2026: Cup Contenders.

This in my mind is also BEST CASE scenario, if all goes well I think this trajectory is possible.
The timeline is reasonable, however with gobs of capspace getting bigger each year, factor in UFA's & it could be that we're contenders in yrs 3&4 even.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
The timeline is reasonable, however with gobs of capspace getting bigger each year, factor in UFA's & it could be that we're contenders in yrs 3&4 even.

I guess it depends on each person's views on what makes a contender. If by contender we mean "true contender" as in a top 5 or 6 team in the league, then in my mind 3 years is not realistic. I hope I'm wrong!

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I guess it depends on each person's views on what makes a contender. If by contender we mean "true contender" as in a top 5 or 6 team in the league, then in my mind 3 years is not realistic. I hope I'm wrong!
Thus the "could be". I also wouldn't be too surprised if Yzerman could pull it off that quickly.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
In all seriousness I chose Seider.

Raymond is clearly number two, though. I feel like there’s a gap afterwards, though despite tons of others having potential. Just gotta keep drafting.

I also don’t consider Z a prospect anymore.

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Agreed that we really need a top C. Luckily I don’t see this team exiting the basement for a few more years at least. Next year isn’t going to be drastically different when all the new kids will be rookies. I think we’ll be squarely in the bottom 5 in 2022 as well.
I guess no one has discussed it, but I actually see Raymond more of a C type than a winger. I don't know why he isn't tested in that position but I bet he will. He's got all the tools necessary to thrive in that position.

Edit: "Mr. Montén also said that he wouldn’t be surprised if the NHL team that drafts Raymond will look to play him down the middle too, much in the same way as Vancouver has succeeded with Elias Pettersson."

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavels Dog

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If the Wings were willing to spend I don't think 2-3 years would have been crazy.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
It’s Seider for me and it’s not even close. Seider to me has that #1 dman potential even without the 50+ points. I think defensively he will be the best in the league while putting up 35-45 points regularly. Between his physical dominance, stick work, gap control, etc he is a stud. My only knock may be his net front play as he relies on his stick too much rather than body positioning and taking away the man in front of the net.

Raymond will be a guy we run our PP through, but is he a guy who can dominate a shift like Seider can? Raymond is very skilled and shifty, but he excels more when he has time and space which won’t happen much 5 on 5.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
#3 should be Zadina.
After Zadina not sure

The recency bias on this thread is amazing. Raymond, if you even include Zadina as a prospect, would be behind Zadina. Raymond has a great skill set, but is still a question mark until he plays on NA ice. Zadina has already shown he can effectively score at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad