Red Wings’ Alex Nedeljkovic goes to Grand Rapids for conditioning

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Red Wings’ Alex Nedeljkovic goes to Grand Rapids for conditioning​

• Updated: Jan. 04, 2023, 9:23 a.m.|
  • Published: Jan. 04, 2023, 9:19 a.m.
Alex Nedeljkovic

Detroit Red Wings goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic hasn't played since a 5-1 loss at Florida on Dec. 8. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)AP
facebook

twitter

NEW!

By
The Detroit Red Wings on Wednesday assigned goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic to the Grand Rapids Griffins for conditioning.

Nedeljkovic hasn’t played since Dec. 8 (5-1 loss at Florida) while struggling to find consistency. He is 2-4-2, with a 4.09 goals-against average and .880 save percentage.

The Griffins play three home games in the next four days. The conditioning stint can last for a maximum two weeks. Nedeljkovic still counts towards Detroit’s 23-man roster.

Magnus Hellberg for now as emerged as the backup to Ville Husso, who is expected to return from an illness and start tonight against the New Jersey Devils at Little Caesars Arena (7 p.m., TNT). Hellberg is 2-2-0, with aa 2.74 GAA and .897 save percentage this season between Detroit and Ottawa.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I suspect this is common knowledge, especially with Vrana being put on waivers but a friendly reminder that conditioning assignments do not open up a roster spot.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This is the best possible news for Ned.

I wasn't sure it could happen because I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of conditioning assignments but if he's going to regain any shot at being an NHL goaltender he needs to get some consistent games to try and find his form.

Reactions: jkutswings

Left handed

May 8, 2018
Saw this on reddit. It makes sense to give both Ned and Steve a couple of weeks to figure out what to do here. Ned can impress in the minors, and Steve can potentially put together a roster move that makes sense for the team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Magnus Hellberg for now as emerged as the backup to Ville Husso, who is expected to return from an illness and start tonight against the New Jersey Devils at Little Caesars Arena (7 p.m., TNT). Hellberg is 2-2-0, with aa 2.74 GAA and .897 save percentage this season between Detroit and Ottawa.
Well that's good news regardless of what happens with Ned

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
An NHL player can be sent to the AHL farm team for a maximum of 14 days, if he consents to the move.

Obviously, Ned didn't consent to the Conditioning Loan knowing he's be placed on waivers.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
An NHL player can be sent to the AHL farm team for a maximum of 14 days, if he consents to the move.

Obviously, Ned didn't consent to the Conditioning Loan knowing he's be placed on waivers.
If Ned did not consent to the conditioning loan, he would still be in Detroit sitting in the stands and not in Grand Rapids. Ned did consent to the loan to GR to get some game action and to try to get back into form once again. He will be starting tonight in GR vs Cleveland and he could play in the 2 games this weekend vs Texas (one for sure). The Wings did not place Ned on waivers (at this time).

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
If Ned did not consent to the conditioning loan, he would still be in Detroit sitting in the stands and not in Grand Rapids. Ned did consent to the loan to GR to get some game action and to try to get back into form once again. He will be starting tonight in GR vs Cleveland and he could play in the 2 games this weekend vs Texas (one for sure). The Wings did not place Ned on waivers (at this time).
You're right, my mistake. It has been misrepresented that the Wings had placed Ned on waivers. I fell for it.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I would like to know where Vrana's head is right now, Is it hockey?
Right now, Ben Simon is Vrana's babysitter at the moment, until Yzerman decides what to do next. Hoping that Vrana can get himself back to the form that he was when he was scoring goals for the Wings. Last Saturday was his best game so far in the 4 games that he has played here in GR. Tonight was another he was on the ice but that was about it. He was on the ice for the Monsters lone goal late in the 3rd. Seems like he is unsure who his man is that he is suppose to defend in the d-zone. Seems like Simon had to tell him a few times when Vrana went back to the bench for a line change. Even a Monsters player said something to him after a whistle that made Vrana turn his head back and wanting to chirp back at him. It was Ned's night as he was spot on in goal. Will see what happens on Friday when the red hot Texas Stars come in to GR for 2 straight games. 10-0-2 in their last 12 games and 1st in our division.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I always thought you had to be injured for a good amount of time to be able to get sent down for conditioning, now we know it is just days spent without playing.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Don't look now but our #1 Ville Husso is sporting a 2.94 GAA and .904 SV%
I think it's partly regression, but mostly the heavy workload this season is finally catching up to him. He's played 66% of game-minutes this season.

His last 5 games:

22 goals allowed
5.02 GAA
.849 SV%

He's been brutal. Ned-esque. For comparison's sake, here Ned's worst 5-game stretch:

24 goals allowed
4.80 GAA
.855 SV%

Reactions: nhlisawesome

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Husso was really only good for the 1st month of the season.

Here are our goaltending stats since 11/1

Husso - 20 games played, .898 SV%, 3.09 GAA
Ned - 5 games played, .891 SV%, 3.31 GAA
Helleberg - 4 games played, .897 SV%, 2.74 GAA

The folks that want to get a higher pick, just give it some time...
If you look at his game log, you can see he was good through the first two months of the season. His biggest stinker was in the first month, and he had several excellent games in the second month. It was really Dec 13 and onward he's really cratered.

Husso's first 20 games (first 2 months):

11 wins
.918 SV%
2.48 GAA

1184 TOI
49 GA
596 SH
547 Svs

And as another comparison, here's Ned's first 20 games last season:

9 wins
.918 SV%
2.71 GAA

1106 TOI
50 GA
613 SH
563 Svs

Ville Husso.... Alex Nedeljkovic part 2?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you look at his game log, you can see he was good through the first two months of the season. His biggest stinker was in the first month, and he had several excellent games in the second month. It was really Dec 13 and onward he's really cratered.

Husso's first 20 games (first 2 months):

11 wins
.918 SV%
2.48 GAA

1184 TOI
49 GA
596 SH
547 Svs

And as another comparison, here's Ned's first 20 games last season:

9 wins
.918 SV%
2.71 GAA

1106 TOI
50 GA
613 SH
563 Svs

Ville Husso.... Alex Nedeljkovic part 2?
I don't know man, .904 SV% as an average for the month of November.. I don't think I can give you 2 months.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, it is remarkably similar to Ned last year, which is definitely concerning. Strength of opponent also went up last year just like this year, when the struggles started.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I don't know man, .904 SV% as an average for the month of November.. I don't think I can give you 2 months.
Sure you can lol. That November number was weighted down by his 8-goal stinker, which was in the first month of games (season started mid-October). When I say first month and second month, I'm referring to mid-Oct thru mid-Nov, and mid-Nov thru mid-Dec, respectively. I'm not talking about calendar months. Are you saying he was only good in October? Because that month was only 5 games.

Last edited:

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Right now, Ben Simon is Vrana's babysitter at the moment, until Yzerman decides what to do next. Hoping that Vrana can get himself back to the form that he was when he was scoring goals for the Wings. Last Saturday was his best game so far in the 4 games that he has played here in GR. Tonight was another he was on the ice but that was about it. He was on the ice for the Monsters lone goal late in the 3rd. Seems like he is unsure who his man is that he is suppose to defend in the d-zone. Seems like Simon had to tell him a few times when Vrana went back to the bench for a line change. Even a Monsters player said something to him after a whistle that made Vrana turn his head back and wanting to chirp back at him. It was Ned's night as he was spot on in goal. Will see what happens on Friday when the red hot Texas Stars come in to GR for 2 straight games. 10-0-2 in their last 12 games and 1st in our division.

Thanks for the update. What has Vranas efforts looked like when he has the puck? Is he just out there going through the motions or is he actually putting effort and just coming up short due to being a little off not having played in awhile? I'm not surprised by his defensive efforts but a breakdown of his offensive efforts I think would be a little more telling of what we might he dealing with.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad