OT: Red Sox/MLB 2012 Thread Part XXI-Maybe a Banner Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Still can't believe this is the new John Lackey.

tumblr_mhro90xv3m1qiz6eso2_1280.png

tumblr_mhro90xv3m1qiz6eso1_1280.png

I have a good feeling about this season. When I guys actually losing weight, showing up for ST earlier, etc shows the dedication is back. Getting rid of the dead weight helped. Farrell is already having a positive impact, I suspect.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
should be a lot of fun with the negative nancies around here again.

There's a real easy solution to all the negativity, Bobby. If the front office stops worrying about PR and actually fields a competitive team, it will all work itself out. Crazy how that happens, I know, but it's true. Worry about the on the field product instead of your tv ratings for a change and see what happens...:laugh:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
There's a real easy solution to all the negativity, Bobby. If the front office stops worrying about PR and actually fields a competitive team, it will all work itself out. Crazy how that happens, I know, but it's true. Worry about the on the field product instead of your tv ratings for a change and see what happens...:laugh:

This organization earned every bit of the negativity they've received.

I've been a Sox fan for a long time, and when I end up rooting for them to fail, something has gone very wrong.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Nice to see Lackey show up early in great shape. That's what I was hoping Beckett was going to do last season; but he didn't have it in him. Hopefully he feels he has something to prove; whether it be to us, himself, or whoever.

I'm cautiously optimistic, certainly not expecting them to win the whole thing; but hopeful for a good season that starts to turn things around.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

You know LSCII, I get your hatred of the front office. They are overly PR conscious and often insult the intelligence of the Bostomn baseball fan. I share that opinion, and I'm willing to bet Lucchino is an a-hole. But to claim they don't field a contender is flat-out ridiculous. They put some of the best talent in the league out there every single year. They might not be wise about the personalities, they might have chosen a manager based on his entertainment level, and they might put big names above team need at times, but the talent level is beyond question. And when they have holes, they pursue free agents and trades for some of the most talented players in the league. You can't win out on every free agent and consummate every trade you know. You are way off base and overly critical to claim they don't field a competitive team. Fact is they've had playoff-level talent on the field in most, if not all, of the seasons they've owned this team, including last season.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You know LSCII, I get your hatred of the front office. They are overly PR conscious and often insult the intelligence of the Bostomn baseball fan. I share that opinion, and I'm willing to bet Lucchino is an a-hole. But to claim they don't field a contender is flat-out ridiculous. They put some of the best talent in the league out there every single year. They might not be wise about the personalities, they might have chosen a manager based on his entertainment level, and they might put big names above team need at times, but the talent level is beyond question. And when they have holes, they pursue free agents and trades for some of the most talented players in the league. You can't win out on every free agent and consummate every trade you know. You are way off base and overly critical to claim they don't field a competitive team. Fact is they've had playoff-level talent on the field in most, if not all, of the seasons they've owned this team, including last season.

I was talking specifically about this upcoming season. In seasons past, they surely have been competitive, even if the focus of the front office has been about ratings and PR.

Now, without a team that is a real threat to win a wild card, let alone the division or a World Series, the ratings will likely continue to slide. Therefore, the statement I made about fans having interest in good teams is still something I stand behind. If they field a competitive team, people will watch. People will buy tickets. People will buy merchandise. If the team stinks, do you disagree that the opposite will happen?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Still can't believe this is the new John Lackey.

tumblr_mhro90xv3m1qiz6eso2_1280.png

tumblr_mhro90xv3m1qiz6eso1_1280.png

I have a good feeling about this season. When I guys actually losing weight, showing up for ST earlier, etc shows the dedication is back. Getting rid of the dead weight helped. Farrell is already having a positive impact, I suspect.
I guess they weren't kidding.

So is he our #2 or #3 starter?

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
I was talking specifically about this upcoming season. In seasons past, they surely have been competitive, even if the focus of the front office has been about ratings and PR.

Now, without a team that is a real threat to win a wild card, let alone the division or a World Series, the ratings will likely continue to slide. Therefore, the statement I made about fans having interest in good teams is still something I stand behind. If they field a competitive team, people will watch. People will buy tickets. People will buy merchandise. If the team stinks, do you disagree that the opposite will happen?

i see a team that addressed its biggest issue last season and is trying to move forward. too many innings were eaten up by bad pitching last year. the offense was fine, considering ellsbury was hurt and underperformed, they were missing ortiz from july 16 on and traded away their .812 ops middle of the order guy in august. the offense was awful down the stretch but it was featuring some combination of gomez/ross/loney in the middle of the lineup and some awful guys at the bottom of the order who couldn't turn the lineup over. they addressed this with the addition of jonny gomes, who is diet cody ross, and not overpaying for cody ross like the dbacks did. they added david ross to go with a revolving c/1b platoon of ross/saltalamacchia/napoli. they did great work in finding the issue with napoli's hip and going from the 3/39 deal to the 1/5. these are all small moves, sure. they addressed areas of depth that the 2012 team didn't have. they signed stephen drew, considered by many to be the best shortstop on the market to a one-year deal for cash.

but what they've really done is started moving on overhauling a pitching staff that was terrible. they rolled the dice with melancon. it was a spectacular failure as we know. they packaged him with a bunch of guys they didn't really need and got a good bullpen guy and a decent prospect. they signed uehara to add to a good pen featuring aceves, mortensen, bailey, tazawa and miller. that's a pretty good looking pen. lackey looks to be back and as has been said, he looks in phenomenal condition. they added ryan dempster on a two year deal. lester, bard, buchholz, doubront and morales all reported early, two or three weeks early in the cases of doubront and morales.

i'm certainly not going to sit here and think that they're going to win the division. but i have a hard time reading things in this thread that are really nothing more than unveiled issues that you or others have with ownership. the ownership group is in the business of making money. i don't see how that is news or even how that is any different from any other team in baseball. the rays have a self-imposed salary cap from ownership who i'm sure would kill for the opportunities to market chintzy crap to waterheaded rubes like the red sox do. some owners are in the business to win, like mike illitch. others are in the business to make money, like say jeffrey loria. i don't think the red sox owners are any different, worse or better than any other owner. i respect that they did what they did to fenway since i'm sure they could have gotten public funds to build a stadium and stuck the taxpayers with the bill like loria did here. the miami-dade taxpayers get to pay about 2.4 billion dollars once those payments are due, btw. that's a hell of a lot worse than getting idiots to buy bricks and making dating reality shows at the park.

again, i'm not sitting here absolving them of blame in this. they wrote the checks for the guys that were shipped out in august last year. they wrote the checks for the guy who brought those guys in. they put lucchino in charge of trying to fix the face of the team last year. they're certainly not perfect. but again, they're not worse than any other owner in baseball. they're businessmen. if you don't like what they're selling, don't buy it. there's all sorts of horse **** that'll be for sale when the wife and i go to a few games this year. the gift shop is full of teeshirts with what they're trying to sell as a tropical theme and the red sox logo on it. we'll walk into the gift shop and wander around, point and laugh and be on our way. if you don't like what they're selling, don't buy it. same goes for people who don't like the team. don't watch, don't go, don't listen, don't support them.

but they're certainly in better shape (pun intended) this season compared to last. and while the pundits will i'm sure crown the jays the kings of the east, i think the division is going to be a lot worse than people think. i still think it's the rays to lose. i won't hold my breath for the orioles smoke and mirrors and 156 extra inning wins and 49-1 in one-run games or whatever such nonsense they were running last year to repeat itself.

in the end, it's baseball. some people here only like the red sox when they win. i'll be there regardless.

kman22

Apr 11, 2010

Sadly, I think they could sell tickets and achieve decent ratings with a weak team. It will be interestingto see how well sales go if the team struggles consistently all year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nice to see Lackey show up in shape. He hasn't pitched in over a year and when he did pitch last, he was awful. So I'm not going to pencil him in as the #2 or #3 starter right now but we'll see what happens. At least it looks like he's ready to go and we won't have to hear the same old crap about certain players not being in shape.

The offense will be fine. That was never the problem when everyone was healthy and it certainly won't be a problem now. Stating the obvious here but Lester and Buchholz need to pitch a lot better for the team to do well. The rest of the rotation and the bullpen should be better.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As much as I'd like to see them do well, it wouldn't surprise me to see Toronto crap the bed after spending all that money. If reading the Tito book did anything for me, it reinforced the notion that you don't pay guys for past performance. Very rarely does a Manny Ramirez type contract work out, especially in years 3 and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad