Red Line Top 10 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Enjoy...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2003-10-21-woodlief_x.htm

1. Alexandre Ovechkin LW 6-1/195 R 9-17-85 Dynamo
2. Evgeni Malkin C 6-2/176 L 7-31-86 Magnitogorsk
3. Cam Barker D 6-3/206 L 4-4-86 Medicine Hat
4. Rostislav Olesz C 6-2/191 L 10-10-85 Vitkovice
5. Wojtek Wolski LW 6-2/188 L 2-24-86 Brampton
6. Marek Schwarz G 5-9/165 R 4-1-86 Sparta Praha
7. Wes O'Neill D 6-3/192 L 3-3-86 Univ. of Notre Dame
8. Jakub Sindel RW 5-11/163 R 1-24-86 Slavia Praha
9. Lauri Tukonen C 6-3/191 R 9-1-86 Espoo
10. Ladislav Smid D 6-2/189 L 2-1-86 Liberec

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well interesting to say the least.

Great to see them mention Victor Oreskovich. Good Oakvillian, was named the Ontario Junior A top prospect last year and is playing with the Green Bay Gramblers in the USHL this season. Glad to see Redline thinks he could be a serious darkhorse.

I definitely do not agree with not having Rob Schremp and Evan Mcgrath in the top 10 however, especially Schremp. Despite what he did this season in Mississauga. Woodlief says "Robbie Schremp — We didn¹t like this prima donna's attitude before the season began — how do you think we feel about him now that he's run out on his teammates and coaches in Mississauga?" What did Schremp do wrong before this season to show that he had some sort of attitude problem, that's my question? Regardless Schremp is IMO the second best talent in this draft bar none and for them to leave him out of their top 10 for the above reason is horrible.

I also believe that Mcgrath should be in there, he's off to a good start with Kitchener and he's a good two way player with, size and speed.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Well, it's nice to see they is this much praise for Matt Lashoff now. From what I had heard, he was one of the worst d-men for the USNTDP.

On the other hand, the article is very, um, I don't know, but besides the obvious of leaving Schremp out of the Top 10, they praise McIllrath but then bash him in the rankings...

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
That's the first I've heard anything negative about Lashoff....... he has played extremely well for the Rangers so far, has worked his way up and is now in the top pairing.

I wondered about no Schremp in the Top 10 - and pretty snide comments (I'm not a Schremp fan by any means but you have to acknowledge the kid's skills) - makes you wonder what Schremp did to the author of the piece. No mention whatsoever of Evan McGrath also has me scratching my head..........

Histrion

Feb 13, 2003
Kevin Mailhiot has dropped at lot, it's scary... I was looking at him to be a top 15 pick this year... oh man... he's better pick up his game fast enough...

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Vadim Karaga — We just can't get this little Belarussian out of our head — he's showing the same speed and skills in London that he did in Europe. Thirty teams are going to regret not selecting him with a late rounder last year.
According to his Player Profile on the Knights site, Karaga was born January 3, 1985. That means he wasn't even eligable for draft last year. :dunno:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Douggy said:
According to his Player Profile on the Knights site, Karaga was born January 3, 1985. That means he wasn't even eligable for draft last year. :dunno:

Last year's draft included players born before September 15th, 1985.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
though he does not like Schremp there is no way he should be left off the top 10 players in the draft. You can't say that he doesn't have skill as he is one of the most skilled players available for the draft. Looks like he let his emotions get in the way of the guys talent level. Though everyone sees a player in different ways, it seems like he is judging Schremp just on the incident rather than on a talent level. Could you imagine if team did that with Jason Spezza...lets skip him over to select Stephen Weiss or Alexander Svitov just because they don't have the I want a trade attitude. Yeeeesssss thats what we will do skip over a highly touted player to select less talented ones.

Mooseheads@HF

Jan 17, 2003
East Coast
""Kevin Mailhiot — "Hello, Drummondville police department... somebody stole all my talent. Could you please find it for me?" Looks like he spent a lot of time over the offseason reading his press clippings, and not much time worrying about advancing his game.""

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Best and most true thing i have read in a long time, i wonder if Kevin has actually considered trying that...

DR. Holiday

moosefan said:
though he does not like Schremp there is no way he should be left off the top 10 players in the draft. You can't say that he doesn't have skill as he is one of the most skilled players available for the draft. Looks like he let his emotions get in the way of the guys talent level. Though everyone sees a player in different ways, it seems like he is judging Schremp just on the incident rather than on a talent level. Could you imagine if team did that with Jason Spezza...lets skip him over to select Stephen Weiss or Alexander Svitov just because they don't have the I want a trade attitude. Yeeeesssss thats what we will do skip over a highly touted player to select less talented ones.

Talk to O'sullivan about less skilled players getting drafted ahead of bad attitudes.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
moosefan said:
true true , I forgot about that one. But his wasn't actually attitude problems it was personal problems.

It was both, actually.

And as for the issues with not having Schremp in the top 10, I saw one comment that speculated that Schemp's leaving Mississauga was the only thing he'd done.

As someone who has read Red Line regularly since the 1999-2000 season, I will tell you that Kyle Woodlief has had issues with Schremp's attitude going back to early last year. He has never denied that Robbie Schremp has a high skill level, but when a player puts himself above the team and allows himself to become a distraction, then you are kidding yourself if you don't think that weighs into NHL teams' thought processes when they are deciding who to draft.

Red Line isn't simply jumping up and hammering Schremp for his actions leading up to and subsequent to leaving his junior team. Woodlief and Co. have frowned upon his attitude for a while now, so if they want to drop him in their rankings, that's their prerogative. You have to look at Red Line as the NHL's 31st team- they call it as they see it, and if they don't like a player's attitude/intangibles, they aren't going to let talent be the bottom line in where they rank that player.

Will Schremp go higher in the draft than his final RLR ranking will bear out? Certainly. Woodlief and his scouts know this. And, they don't care. Their willingness to take the heat from fans over their decisions goes back to the essence of what Red Line is- an *independent* scouting review.

Dr_Chimera*

DR. Holiday said:
Talk to O'sullivan about less skilled players getting drafted ahead of bad attitudes.

I wonder if you're with Redline, 'cause just like they you don't do your homework.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Is the list how he predicts it will go or the top ten talents?

Schremp's attitude may ultimately hurt his position.

I guess I should just read the article, but I'm lazy.:p

chuckie

Feb 24, 2003
Visit site
list

this list will change at least 10 times before draft day.he is just expressing his opinion of schremp's attitude right now.Shremp will be on the list soon......

DR. Holiday

Dr_Chimera said:
I wonder if you're with Redline, 'cause just like they you don't do your homework.

If anyone thinks that O'Sullivan went late ONLY because of the issue with his dad they are crazy. He has a cocky attitude and it also put teams off.
By the way McGrath is a powerforward according to you right. ( real nice call).

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Alexandre Picard — Smooth d-man has frequently been the best player on the ice at both ends for Lewiston.

Isn't he a left wing? I think he's thinking of the other Alexandre Picard.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site
i guarentee that every team looking for a goalie will regret not taking dubnyk if they pass over him. he is the best player in the WHL at 17 and he is 6"5. bloody amazing. if he isnt The goalie for the WJC, there is something terribly wrong

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
Is the list how he predicts it will go or the top ten talents?

Neither. It's their draft list. It's how they would draft were they a team in the NHL Entry Draft.

I have the issue and in it they acknowledge Schremp is a top 5 pick in this draft on talent. They've dropped him out of the top 10 to make a statement.

I'm not sure the Spezza comparison really washes because the Ice Dogs were a mess back then. I could see Spezza's reasoning there. Schremp's case seems totally different to me and much harder to rationally justify.

Jokerit79

Natural talent alone doesn't make you a good NHL player. Anyone remember Pavel Brendl or Alexandre Daigle, who guys with unreal natural talent but no heart.. I think you'll find them both watching NHL games from the bench or press-box. When a 17-year old thinks he can dictate which team he will play for, there is something wrong. Schremp needs to shut up and prove his worth on the ice.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
flyers guy said:
Alexandre Picard — Smooth d-man has frequently been the best player on the ice at both ends for Lewiston.

Isn't he a left wing? I think he's thinking of the other Alexandre Picard.

I read that as well, Alexandre Picard on Lewiston is a forward. He has 14 goals and 6 assists in 15 games. He must be thinking of Alexander Picard the ex Moosehead now on Cape Breton.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I defend Redline's approach to Schremp. Remember, these kids actually read all these articles, so it's not a bad idea to try & send this kid a message. If he indeed does have an attitude, some negative press could bring this kid back down to earth.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of RedLine but if you ask me Schremp is a pretty good canidate to fall out of the top ten.

So are Rostislav Olesz, and Wojtek Wolski.

All for pretty much the same reason. I don't see alot of upside in any of their games and think that they'll likely get passed by rapidly improving players by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad