Red Line Top 10 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Jokerit79 said:
Natural talent alone doesn't make you a good NHL player. Anyone remember Pavel Brendl or Alexandre Daigle, who guys with unreal natural talent but no heart.. I think you'll find them both watching NHL games from the bench or press-box. When a 17-year old thinks he can dictate which team he will play for, there is something wrong. Schremp needs to shut up and prove his worth on the ice.

Damn skippy!

Schremp probably has no shortage of sycophants following him around telling him how great he is at all hours of the day.

I remember that people began posting about him when he was 13 and the furor it caused because it wasn't just posting- it was touting him as the next big thing. Whether it was a misguided family member or said sycophant, you can't help but wonder if all this fawning is what drives people like Schremp and his advisers to declare that he's above the team and is entitled to play for whomever he wants.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stock Rocks said:
Damn skippy!

Schremp probably has no shortage of sycophants following him around telling him how great he is at all hours of the day.

I remember that people began posting about him when he was 13 and the furor it caused because it wasn't just posting- it was touting him as the next big thing. Whether it was a misguided family member or said sycophant, you can't help but wonder if all this fawning is what drives people like Schremp and his advisers to declare that he's above the team and is entitled to play for whomever he wants.

I don't think Schremp's "career" choices have been all that unusual. His goal is to make the NHL, and he's doing whatever he and his advisors think is necessary to achieve that goal. We're not talking about a spoiled brat who doesn't work hard or holds himself accountable. Schremp does those things along with being an outstanding offensive talent.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
West said:
I'm not a huge fan of RedLine but if you ask me Schremp is a pretty good canidate to fall out of the top ten.

So are Rostislav Olesz, and Wojtek Wolski.

All for pretty much the same reason. I don't see alot of upside in any of their games and think that they'll likely get passed by rapidly improving players by the end of the year.

What do you mean by upside? Are you saying Schremp's game won't translate to the NHL or what?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kirk- NEHJ said:
Woodlief and his scouts know this. And, they don't care. Their willingness to take the heat from fans over their decisions goes back to the essence of what Red Line is-

Which is, pure garbage :p

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think Schremp's "career" choices have been all that unusual. .
You dont think walking out on your team is "unusual"?
We must have a bit different definition of unusual, particularly if the team is a pretty good one & the guy is a supposed "leader".
Absent a very good reason, imo this action alone reflects quite poorly on his character.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
What do you mean by upside? Are you saying Schremp's game won't translate to the NHL or what?

It's a little hard to explain but I'll give it a shot.

Alot of players that break into the CHL are forced to earn their ice time and prove that they can play a solid defensive game. Schremp was pretty much handed 1st line ice time (and played well). So last year we pretty much saw what he could do with first line ice time. Alot of players didn't get that oppurtunity last year but will this year and catch up to him offensively plus their play without the puck will likely be better due to the fact they had to work on it their rookie years.

Also one of the hardest things for a player to do is balance the offensive and defensive aspects of the game and Schremp hasn't proved he can do it. Also I thought that he was fairly physically mature last year which limits his upside a little.

Plus I don't think that he crazy outstanding speed which offensive players his size would need in the NHL (I say his skating was good by NHL standards). He might fall into the trap of trying to play a game that won't work for him in the pro's, it's happened to prospects before.

I still think that he's worth a first round pick due to his strong offensive skills but I think that he's a good bet to drop out of the top ten for the above reasons.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I don't think Schremp's "career" choices have been all that unusual. His goal is to make the NHL, and he's doing whatever he and his advisors think is necessary to achieve that goal. We're not talking about a spoiled brat who doesn't work hard or holds himself accountable. Schremp does those things along with being an outstanding offensive talent.

Well, demanding a trade in the OHL is certainly not "necessary to achieve that goal."

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Vlad The Impaler said:
Which is, pure garbage :p
I still can't understand how hard you are on RLR.

I like their rankings in that they don't follow the usual rankings and they definately bring another pespective. Which doesn't mean they're right, but at least, knowing how the draft is a crap shoot, they have as much chance as the next Joe Scout to be right.
I don't take all they say seriously, but I think they do a good job.
For instance I like their top 10 (loved to see Tukonen there), although I don't necessarily agree. I would still rank Schremp in the top 3.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I've read the draft previews for Red Line, THN and McKeens, and also seen a copy of the ISS draft preview, and if I had to pick one to read it would be Red Line. It's the most interesting, where as the others are full of a lot more rhetoric.

It is also different in that it gives "their" opinion, where as THN simply tries to guage the majority of scouts opinions. THN is SOMETIMES a better guage on where someone ranks, but these is usually less substance there or original opinion.

If you same critics of red line ever saw individual team rankings, you would be shocked.

That's why players like Patrick Thoreson don't get drafted, but every one on this board has him as a late 1st rounder.

I always find it laughable when certain "draft experts" say Red Line is crap. Meanwhile, they're sitting in their bedroom waiting for their parents to serve them dinner between episodes of the Simpsons.

Sammy*

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I always find it laughable when certain "draft experts" say Red Line is crap. Meanwhile, they're sitting in their bedroom waiting for their parents to serve them dinner between episodes of the Simpsons.

:joker: :joker: :joker:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
You dont think walking out on your team is "unusual"?
We must have a bit different definition of unusual, particularly if the team is a pretty good one & the guy is a supposed "leader".
Absent a very good reason, imo this action alone reflects quite poorly on his character.

You call it walking out, I call it a job change. That's what hockey is to these kids anyway, a job. He decided he had more of a future somewhere other than Mississauga.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Well, demanding a trade in the OHL is certainly not "necessary to achieve that goal."

In the big scheme of things, you're right. It really doesn't matter what team Schremp plays on, his draft position would probably be the same. However, it's clear that as a hockey player honing his craft, he feels more comfortable in London. If that makes him a bad person, so be it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
West said:
It's a little hard to explain but I'll give it a shot.

Alot of players that break into the CHL are forced to earn their ice time and prove that they can play a solid defensive game. Schremp was pretty much handed 1st line ice time (and played well). So last year we pretty much saw what he could do with first line ice time. Alot of players didn't get that oppurtunity last year but will this year and catch up to him offensively plus their play without the puck will likely be better due to the fact they had to work on it their rookie years.

Also one of the hardest things for a player to do is balance the offensive and defensive aspects of the game and Schremp hasn't proved he can do it. Also I thought that he was fairly physically mature last year which limits his upside a little.

Plus I don't think that he crazy outstanding speed which offensive players his size would need in the NHL (I say his skating was good by NHL standards). He might fall into the trap of trying to play a game that won't work for him in the pro's, it's happened to prospects before.

I still think that he's worth a first round pick due to his strong offensive skills but I think that he's a good bet to drop out of the top ten for the above reasons.

Thanks for the input. I don't know if scouts see Schremp's deficiencies quite the same way you do, but you make a valid case and could very well be right come draft day.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
You call it walking out, I call it a job change. That's what hockey is to these kids anyway, a job. He decided he had more of a future somewhere other than Mississauga.
Wallking out on teammates is simply a "job change"?
Well, if thats how your man Scremp views it, theres the reason why he is percieved by some to have attitude issues.

DR. Holiday

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I've read the draft previews for Red Line, THN and McKeens, and also seen a copy of the ISS draft preview, and if I had to pick one to read it would be Red Line. It's the most interesting, where as the others are full of a lot more rhetoric.

It is also different in that it gives "their" opinion, where as THN simply tries to guage the majority of scouts opinions. THN is SOMETIMES a better guage on where someone ranks, but these is usually less substance there or original opinion.

If you same critics of red line ever saw individual team rankings, you would be shocked.

That's why players like Patrick Thoreson don't get drafted, but every one on this board has him as a late 1st rounder.

funniest thing I have read in a long time!!!!!!!!

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Evilo said:
I still can't understand how hard you are on RLR.

I like their rankings in that they don't follow the usual rankings and they definately bring another pespective.

Ranking Staal 7th is bringing a different but also atrociously wrong perspective. Every year, they have these ridiculous rankings that simply don't make sense at all.

That's my problem with them.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I've read the draft previews for Red Line, THN and McKeens, and also seen a copy of the ISS draft preview, and if I had to pick one to read it would be Red Line.

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer watching hockey over the Simpsons. That way, I have a clue about what I am actually saying. Unlike some unwashed fanboy twat sucking up to Woodlief and embarassing himself whenever he types something.

Buy all the publications you can find. You need them.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Ranking Staal 7th is bringing a different but also atrociously wrong perspective. Every year, they have these ridiculous rankings that simply don't make sense at all.

That's my problem with them.

So what you're saying is that a month of regular season play after the draft you've judged the draft class and decided there is zero chance Staal turns out be only the 7th or 8th best player out of that draft class?

Seems quite premature. The rankings may not make any sense to you but they'll only be proven wrong 5+ years down the line. You wanna judge their product with some finality? Then look at their list from 5-6 years ago.

But as always, if you're expecting perfection it's not going to happen. You follow the draft closely, you must know how much of a crapshoot it is. You must know how different each team's lists are.

You're argument against them continues to be poorly supported IMO. If you're going to bash them as hardcore as you do then provide us with a better option and we'll be able to pick it apart as easily as you do with Redline. It's easy to be a critic and point out mistakes. Obviously not so easy to acknowledge they do one of the best jobs out there as far as independant scouting services go.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Call me crazy, but I actually prefer watching hockey over the Simpsons. That way, I have a clue about what I am actually saying. Unlike some unwashed fanboy twat sucking up to Woodlief and embarassing himself whenever he types something.

Buy all the publications you can find. You need them.

Hmmm first sign you don't have much to support your argument? Resorting to personal attacks?

I thought you had more class than that.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Hmmm first sign you don't have much to support your argument? Resorting to personal attacks?

Huh... scuse me? he started it. If you read closely you would have noticed. Not that I expect you to have any objectivity when RedLine is involved as you have been a big fan.

Dr. Sens has had a beef with me for a long time, ever since I picked apart his ridiculously erroneous opinions and misconceptions regarding Kovalchuk a few months ago and took him to school. This is his way of trying to get back to me but he'll have to do better than that.

I will *always* resort to personal attacks if rudely confronted by classless buffoons of his kind.

Sammy*

Agreed. I am surprised Vlad would respond anytime in that fashion,but particularly when the contra arguments are well reasoned & made by respected posters.
I guess his mom didnt bring his Kraft dinner on time today. :p :p

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Seems quite premature. The rankings may not make any sense to you but they'll only be proven wrong 5+ years down the line. You wanna judge their product with some finality? Then look at their list from 5-6 years ago.

Are those lists available somewhere?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sammy said:
Agreed. I am surprised Vlad would respond anytime in that fashion,but particularly when the contra arguments are well reasoned & made by respected posters.
I guess his mom didnt bring his Kraft dinner on time today. :p :p

Another simpleton joins the fray. I think I get it. This thread is about the official RedLine fan club.

Have fun, children! Yay RedLine :handclap:

Sammy*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Another simpleton joins the fray. I think I get it. This thread is about the official RedLine fan club.

Have fun, children! Yay RedLine :handclap:
Grow up or take your ball & go home, as you have done before, you little baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad