Red Line Top 10 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

Vlad The Impaler said:
Nah. I'm staying.

Sucks, eh?
No, I am actually happy you are, cause you are very well informed, articulate & present your points well. It just doesnt behoove you when you act like you have in the last hour or so.
BTW, I have never even read RLR so I am hardly a fanboy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sammy said:
Wallking out on teammates is simply a "job change"?
Well, if thats how your man Scremp views it, theres the reason why he is percieved by some to have attitude issues.

He requested a trade. Players at all levels, and in all sports do it all the time.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Vlad The Impaler said:
Are those lists available somewhere?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/archive.htm

Usatoday has a decent archive of Red line's top 10s since 1998 . Kyle Woodlief seems to have taken over since 2000 (I believe he was a Nashville scout prior).

1998:

Top 10 prospects for the 1998 NHL Draft

1. David Legwand (6-foot-2, 175 pounds, center, OHL Plymouth)
Best skater and scorer in the draft.

2. Vincent Lecavalier (6-3, 177, center, QMJHL Rimouski)
Top end talent who could do something spectacular at any time.

3. Michael Henrich (6-3, 195, right wing, OHL Barrie)
Not physical, but big, very skilled and can score.

4. Brad Stuart (6-1, 200, defenseman, WHL Regina)
Good body checker, great passer, solid all-round game.

5. Bryan Allen (6-3, 200, defensman, OHL Oshawa)
Big, physical player with mobility and toughness.

6. Manny Malhotra (6-2, 205, center, OHL Guelph)
Not a big time scorer, but a future NHL captain.

7. Mathieu Biron (6-6, 216, defenseman, QMJHL Shawinigan)
Big bird has long reach and soft hands.

8. Dimitri Kallinin (6-1, 195, defenseman, RUSSIA Chelibinsk)
Great skater can move puck, create offense and is good defensively.

9. Rico Fata (5-11, 201, center, OHL London)
Wind him up, watch him go. Great speed is his ticket to the NHL.

10. Milan Kraft (6-3, 185, center, CZECH REPUBLIC Plzen)
Elite skill level, but has been very inconsistent. Dazzled at the Viking Cup, invisible at the 6-Nations.

20/20 Hindsight factor: Henrich at #3? And I remember that a handful of people had Legwand over Lecavalier which isn't too surprising given any draft. Their top 10 was pretty close to how the actual draft played out.

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
He requested a trade. Players at all levels, and in all sports do it all the time.
Yes they do. They dont however walk out on teammates.
Ya think what Shayne Corson did (absent a medical reason) was okey dokey?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Red Line Report's Top 10 draft prospects
No. Player Pos. Ht./Wt. Birthday 1999-00 team (league)
1. Marian Gaborik LW 6-1/185 2/14/82 Trencin (Slovakia)
Comments on Gaborik: Terrific skater. Highest offensive upside.
2. Dany Heatley LW 6-3/195 1/21/81 Wisconsin (WCHA)
Comments on Heatley: The draft's best pure sniper.
3. Scott Hartnell C 6-2/190 4/18/82 Prince Albert (WHL)
Comments on Hartnell: Biggest heart and best leadership skills.
4. Rostislav Klesla D 6-2/210 3/21/82 Brampton (OHL)
Comments on Klesla: Best size/toughness/skills combo of any "D"
5. Lars Jonsson D 6-2/191 1/2/82 Leksands (Sweden)
Comments on Jonsson: Dynamic young colt. Best skating "D."
6. Mihail Yakubov C 6-2/183 2/16/82 Lada Togliatti (Rus.)
Comments on Yakubov: Size, raw power, skills and hands.
7. Rick DiPietro G 5-11/180 9/19/81 Boston Univ. (HE)
Comments on DiPietro: Can steal games by himself.
8. Raffi Torres LW 5-10/195 10/8/81 Brampton (OHL)
Comments on Torres: Goal scorer with speed, hard-driving style.
9. Alexei Smirnov LW 6-3/205 1/20/82 Dynamo (Russia)
Comments on Smirnov: Million dollar skills and a ten cent head.
10. Jeff Taffe C 6-2/177 2/19/81 Minnesota (WCHA)
Comments on Taffe: Smooth as silk with great hands.

Again, pretty close to how the draft played out with nothing too earth shattering. The rest of the article also states how Brent Krahn (ended up #9 to Calgary) might go as high as #8 to Tampa because of the lack of goaltending that year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
2001:

Red Line Report's Top 10 prospects for the 2001 draft

No. Player, position Ht./Wt. Birthday 2000-01 club
1. Ilya Kovalchuk, LW 6-2/207 4/15/83 Spartak (Russia)
2. Stan. Tchistov, LW 5-10/167 4/17/83 Av. Omsk (Rus.)
3. Stephen Weiss, C 6-0/177 4/3/83 Plymouth (OHL)
4. Jason Spezza, C 6-3/195 6/13/83 Windsor (OHL)
5. Pascal Leclaire, G 6-1/172 11/07/82 Halifax (QMJHL)
6. Dan Blackburn, G 6-1/175 5/20/83 Kootenay (WHL)
7. Mikko Koivu, C 6-2/181 3/12/83 TPS Turku (Fin.)
8. Alexander Svitov, C 6-3/196 11/3/82 Av. Omsk (Russia)
8. Dan Hamhuis, D 6-0/190 12/13/82 Pr. George (WHL)
10. Chuck Kobasew, RW 6-0/190 4/17/82 Boston Col. (HE)

Also in the article, there's a pretty good disclaimer about their rankings:

Since Red Line's policy is ALWAYS to act in a completely independent manner when it comes to fashioning our rankings (we view ourselves as sort of an unofficial 31st team), we never, ever take into consideration inside information we have from talking to our many friends and contacts in the scouting community when forming our list. We are frequently aware that some teams which are drafting high like particular players that we may not even have in our top 10, and vice versa. Our rankings reflect only the order in which we would draft the prospects if we were doing the selecting. So we recognize that some players will go higher than we have them ranked, and others will go lower. Here is a list of players whose actual draft position will very likely be either significantly higher or lower than we have them ranked.

Players who will go higher than Red Line ranking: Svitov, Komisarek, Tuomo Ruutu (only a major knee injury pushed him down our rankings), Lukas Krajicek, Alex Poloushin, and Ed Caron.

Players who will go lower than Red Line ranking: Chuck Kobasew, Alex Perejoguin, Mike Cammalleri, Alex Frantsouzov, Frantisek Skladany, and Tuukka Mantyla (may not be drafted at all!).

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Obviously I am not for or against RLR (Although one thing I enjoy is that they say things that other sources may not say and sometimes like it or not it is very harsh, and sometimes unprofessional, but never dull).

I just use them as one other source with others to base an overall opinion on...and these rankings(notwithstanding Robbie Schremp) don't look totally wacked, but as all sets of rankings bring up lots for discussion.

(And gentlemen, please, let's keep this civil. It is the basis for a good discussion.)

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Another simpleton joins the fray. I think I get it. This thread is about the official RedLine fan club.

Have fun, children! Yay RedLine :handclap:

Wow, how condescending of you. How much of an ass can you be? Nice to see that you don't like to show an ounce of respect to anybody who objects to your blanket bashing.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Wow, how condescending of you. How much of an ass can you be? Nice to see that you don't like to show an ounce of respect to anybody who objects to your blanket bashing.

And once again, you totally ignore the FACT that I initiated no personnal attack. Only responded to some, which I will always, ALWAYS do. Especially when they are totally inappropriate.

Anybody is free to object to my "blanket bashing" of RedLine, which I find to be of questionable quality to say the least. They will still get my respect for it. But when people gang up to laugh at me (which you haven't done yourself, BTW) they will get insulted in return. It's as simple as that.

I don't like RedLine. I didn't like them last year and that didn't sit well with you. I like them even less, MUCH less now that they have had the idea to put Staal 7th overall. I think it's a terrible idea. Sorry you see it differently. I guess you'll always like them no matter how screwed their perception might be.

I for one will judge them objectively. When they get it right IMO, I will praise them for it. I am sorry to say, I don't think when RedLine is concerned you will have the same objectivity. Ever. Cause if 2003 didn't open your eyes, I don't know what will.

At this point, I even prefer THN's mish-mash rankings. CSS is also an option I prefer. And both are dirt cheap to boot. I may need them more than ever this year as I don't expect to see a lot of the 2004 prospects, sadly.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
In the big scheme of things, you're right. It really doesn't matter what team Schremp plays on, his draft position would probably be the same. However, it's clear that as a hockey player honing his craft, he feels more comfortable in London. If that makes him a bad person, so be it.

It doesn't make him a bad person, it makes him a quitter. Hockey is a team game. How much do you want to trust a guy who has shown he has no feelings of loyalty? How badly would you as a fan want a guy on your team who has shown he's just as happy to leave a good team for his own personal gains?

This move definitely speaks to his character.

"He requested a trade. Players at all levels, and in all sports do it all the time."

Just because it happens doesn't make it acceptable behaviour or excuse it at all. Murder happens all the time, does that make it justifiable? Each case has to be looked at individually. There are compelling reasons to ask for a trade. I've heard of none in Schremp's case but I have to admit I haven't been following it with a microscope.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Huh... scuse me? he started it. If you read closely you would have noticed. Not that I expect you to have any objectivity when RedLine is involved as you have been a big fan.

Dr. Sens has had a beef with me for a long time, ever since I picked apart his ridiculously erroneous opinions and misconceptions regarding Kovalchuk a few months ago and took him to school. This is his way of trying to get back to me but he'll have to do better than that.

I will *always* resort to personal attacks if rudely confronted by classless buffoons of his kind.

From my perspective you did start it. The only inflammatory thing Dr. Sens(e) said was...

"I always find it laughable when certain "draft experts" say Red Line is crap. Meanwhile, they're sitting in their bedroom waiting for their parents to serve them dinner between episodes of the Simpsons."

He didn't say he was referring to you. You assumed he was. I'm not sure assuming a general attack is directed at you is really fair. It might have been directed at you, I obviously am not familiar with your past history. But I think if anybody read this thread straight through they couldn't draw the conclusion from that paragraph that Dr. was referring to you.

Sammy*

From my perspective you did start it. The only inflammatory thing Dr. Sens(e) said was...

"I always find it laughable when certain "draft experts" say Red Line is crap. Meanwhile, they're sitting in their bedroom waiting for their parents to serve them dinner between episodes of the Simpsons."

He didn't say he was referring to you. You assumed he was. I'm not sure assuming a general attack is directed at you is really fair. It might have been directed at you, I obviously am not familiar with your past history. But I think if anybody read this thread straight through they couldn't draw the conclusion from that paragraph that Dr. was referring to you.
I sure didnt.

DR. Holiday

Vlad The Impaler said:
And once again, you totally ignore the FACT that I initiated no personnal attack. Only responded to some, which I will always, ALWAYS do. Especially when they are totally inappropriate.

Anybody is free to object to my "blanket bashing" of RedLine, which I find to be of questionable quality to say the least. They will still get my respect for it. But when people gang up to laugh at me (which you haven't done yourself, BTW) they will get insulted in return. It's as simple as that.

I don't like RedLine. I didn't like them last year and that didn't sit well with you. I like them even less, MUCH less now that they have had the idea to put Staal 7th overall. I think it's a terrible idea. Sorry you see it differently. I guess you'll always like them no matter how screwed their perception might be.

I for one will judge them objectively. When they get it right IMO, I will praise them for it. I am sorry to say, I don't think when RedLine is concerned you will have the same objectivity. Ever. Cause if 2003 didn't open your eyes, I don't know what will.

At this point, I even prefer THN's mish-mash rankings. CSS is also an option I prefer. And both are dirt cheap to boot. I may need them more than ever this year as I don't expect to see a lot of the 2004 prospects, sadly.

The fact that you have bashed Redline for years and slandered woodlief on a number of occasions makes you act towards them old and tired. My question is this have you ever gotten an issue or do you just look at the free usatoday stuff?
You don't appear to be well informed on the subject and really seem to have a major axe to grind. Did they rank you or a friend to low or turn you down for a job or something?
I do hope the moderators come in and clean up this tread as much of the personal attacks is offensive.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

That is the funny part. He automatically assumed I was talking about him. I don't even know him and made a simple generalizetion, but I guess I was bang on about his parents cooking him dinner and him watching the Simpsons when he read it, and he felt slighted.

I guess he didn't catch part where I said "always", meaning a lot of people have been criticizing RL on here for years. Either way, who cares.

He's admitted never even having read Redline, but calls it a rag. The fact he admits this and doesn't see anything wrong with it should tell you something.

And the fact he thinks he "schooled" me in our Kovalchuk debate, when following our "discussion" he was clearly in the minority, is also very amusing. I guess the fact he used the term "schooled" tells you a little something about his intellectual level. Or maybe not. Again, who cares.

Can't people just talk about how the rankings are interesting in stead of slamming them like they've offended the hockey prospect gods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->