Red Deer gives players the finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I never said my opinion was fact, I stated in bold letters because people frustrate me with this. And I never said I thought it wasn't in bad form. I said it doesn't matter whether it was good form or not.

Tell me something though, how many people who didn't attend the game because of the players in Red Deer gave to the cause anyway? I bet very few. So therefore, the charity loses out because people don't like who's involved. That is petty.

Phanuthier*

Tawnos said:
I never said my opinion was fact, I stated in bold letters because people frustrate me with this. And I never said I thought it wasn't in bad form. I said it doesn't matter whether it was good form or not.

Tell me something though, how many people who didn't attend the game in Red Deer gave to the cause anyway? I bet very few. So therefore, the charity loses out because people don't like who's involved. That is petty.
If your frustrated so much, why don't you just walk away?

Whether its bad form or not... isn't that what this is about? If it doesn't matter to you, I don't even see the usefulness of you posting at all, because you don't care about it.

And I agree throughout all of this, the charity loses out. Would have been nice to see the players mention or realize that - instead, it was all about them in that thread, and it seemed like they were the ones losing out here. Yet another reason to dispise them.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Splatman Phanutier said:

Whether its bad form or not... isn't that what this is about? If it doesn't matter to you, I don't even see the usefulness of you posting at all, because you don't care about it.

And I agree throughout all of this, the charity loses out. Would have been nice to see the players mention or realize that - instead, it was all about them in that thread, and it seemed like they were the ones losing out here. Yet another reason to dispise them.

I'm not sure that the players didn't mention or realize that. And you are just conjecturing. You honestly have as little idea as I do what the players said about the charity.

You claim it was bad form for the players to be promoting the NHLPA. Well then I guess it's in bad form for my band to be handing out stickers at our charity event a week from Saturday. I guess it's in bad form when a businesses name is on the t-shirts that are given out at an AIDS walk. I guess it's in bad form when you have "The New York Rangers Toys for Tots Drive" Promotion at a charity event is bad form... yes indeed.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Splatman Phanutier said:

huh, how are the players' losing. they tried to raise some additional money for some charities and it didn't work out.

players are despised for marketing themselves to raise money for charity ? i guess that's more a statement about those that despise them, than the players themselves.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
guymez said:
I can think of no other reason why you won't acknowledge the obvious difference.
The obvious difference? Like what, the fact that the story does not support the side that you've chosen in the dispute? You Bettman lovers are hilarious.

One charity event flops and it's because the entire hockey world hates the PA.

Another charity event does incredibly well, with people willing to drive two hours and pay more than FOUR TIMES the price of a decent Stars ticket and your best reply is.. "Well, that game was different..."

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
According to Ticketmaster's website, the Winnipeg stop of Ryan Smyth and Friends scheduled for tomorrow night has been cancelled. No reason given.

"Ryan Smyth and Friends Charity Tour
MTS Centre, Winnipeg, MB
Canceled
Additional Information
This event has cancelled. Refunds at point of purchase."

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tawnos said:
I'm not sure that the players didn't mention or realize that. And you are just conjecturing. You honestly have as little idea as I do what the players said about the charity.

You claim it was bad form for the players to be promoting the NHLPA. Well then I guess it's in bad form for my band to be handing out stickers at our charity event a week from Saturday. I guess it's in bad form when a businesses name is on the t-shirts that are given out at an AIDS walk. I guess it's in bad form when you have "The New York Rangers Toys for Tots Drive" Promotion at a charity event is bad form... yes indeed.

There was no menton of any charity on the NHLPA gear.
There is a big difference between a sponsor getting recognition on a charity T-shirt (like your stating) and a T-shirt with no charity on it what so ever, being handed out at a charity event.
They had more than enough time to acquire some T-shirts and hats which actually had the charity on them. You would think the players could have passed around a hat to help make that happen.
Like it or not, people pick and choose which charities to support and when to support them. If you think the sincerity of the event is meaningless and of no consiquence, then your being very nieve.

Phanuthier*

Tawnos said:

Point 1: I take what was said from the article. Not a single player even remotely made reference to the charity.

Point 2: Would I think its bad form if a company at an AIDS walk decided to decorate their AIDS walk with company merchandise and info? Yeah I would. If they had the logo, its ok, but for all the AIDS walks I've seen, merchandise and logo's are primarely for AIDS support. If the Ryan Smyth and Friends Charity game had NHLPA jersey's, I would have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is them (seemingly) promoting their union more then the charity which was advertised.

Besies, given the current situation (lockout) I'd say this case is different. In all your examples, you cited companies that they work for - Ryan Smyth works for the Edmonton Oilers of the NHL, not the NHLPA. Robyn Regehr works for the Calgary Flames of the NHL, not the NHLPA. However, these players instead decided to use the charity event as leverage, almost in protest.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Rydified said:
They are coming to Regina tomorrow, and i'm going to support what they are doing for charity.

You could just give that money directly to the charity yourself, you know. You don't have to go sit in the stands for a hockey game.

Phanuthier*

hawker14 said:
huh, how are the players' losing. they tried to raise some additional money for some charities and it didn't work out.
Bad press

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
EndBoards said:
The obvious difference? Like what, the fact that the story does not support the side that you've chosen in the dispute? You Bettman lovers are hilarious.

One charity event flops and it's because the entire hockey world hates the PA.

Another charity event does incredibly well, with people willing to drive two hours and pay more than FOUR TIMES the price of a decent Stars ticket and your best reply is.. "Well, that game was different..."
This post is a very good example of an NHLPA 'lover' only seeing what they want to see.
I have a suggestion....read the entire post, and not just pick out one line, before responding.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marshall said:
According to Ticketmaster's website, the Winnipeg stop of Ryan Smyth and Friends scheduled for tomorrow night has been cancelled. No reason given.
"Ryan Smyth and Friends Charity Tour
MTS Centre, Winnipeg, MB
Canceled
Additional Information
This event has cancelled. Refunds at point of purchase."

Maybe the lockout is over and players have to report to training camp immediately!!!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Splatman Phanutier said:
Point 1: I take what was said from the article. Not a single player even remotely made reference to the charity.

Point 2: Would I think its bad form if a company at an AIDS walk decided to decorate their AIDS walk with company merchandise and info? Yeah I would. If they had the logo, its ok, but for all the AIDS walks I've seen, merchandise and logo's are primarely for AIDS support. If the Ryan Smyth and Friends Charity game had NHLPA jersey's, I would have no problem with it. What I do have a problem with is them (seemingly) promoting their union more then the charity which was advertised.

Besies, given the current situation (lockout) I'd say this case is different. In all your examples, you cited companies that they work for - Ryan Smyth works for the Edmonton Oilers of the NHL, not the NHLPA. Robyn Regehr works for the Calgary Flames of the NHL, not the NHLPA. However, these players instead decided to use the charity event as leverage, almost in protest.

Again, you are conjecturing. And I really don't think there's as vast of a difference as you say. The difference between an AIDS walk and this is that people come out for an AIDS walk to participate in the walk, people come out for this to be entertained while supporting a good cause. The entertainers have a right to promote themselves.

And that article is so skewed in pro-ownership favor, I'm not surprised it had no quotes about the charity in there. None of the quotes were in response to anything said about the charity.

Oh, and anyone who doubts the sincerity of this event really pays no attention to NHL players, who are the most charitable of any players in any sport.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
guymez said:
This post is a very good example of an NHLPA 'lover' only seeing what they want to see.
I have a suggestion....read the entire post, and not just pick out one line, before responding.
I did read the whole post, knucklehead. None of your percieved differences carry any weight. Honestly, in my opinion charity game attendance will no effect whatsoever on how this all plays out.

So to whatever extent that these games have a bearing on the lockout - I'm agree that the Red Deer game was a disappointment for the players. You won't acknowledge that the Frisco game was a suprising success for the players.

Who's only seeing what they want to see?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
guymez said:
Listen....until we are discussing an event where in both cases the LOCAL hockey team is playing ( a team the LOCAL community cares about and supports) they are totally different.
It's pretty clear that you are over spinning this because you are starting to get disorientated. I can think of no other reason why you won't acknowledge the obvious difference.

As soon as you remove your head from Bettman's butt you will realize how similar these two events are. You just want to make them different because it benefits your cause...tearing the players down and proving how nobody supports them. But this event was a success in Dallas and not because they played against the Tornado but because the Dallas Stars played.

People can watch the Tornado any week-end. The games are not sold out, you can walk up and buy a ticket 5 minutes before the game. This game sold out in two and a half hours with the difference being...the Dallas Stars.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
EndBoards said:
I did read the whole post, knucklehead. None of your percieved differences carry any weight. Honestly, in my opinion charity game attendance will no effect whatsoever on how this all plays out.

So to whatever extent that these games have a bearing on the lockout - I'm agree that the Red Deer game was a disappointment for the players. You won't acknowledge that the Frisco game was a suprising success for the players.

Who's only seeing what they want to see?

Look....if you want to believe that a game played by a local team in the local teams communtiy arena, promoted by the local team has no bearing what so ever on how it is attended....knock youself out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Icey said:
As soon as you remove your head from Bettman's butt you will realize how similar these two events are. You just want to make them different because it benefits your cause...tearing the players down and proving how nobody supports them.

LOL....see post 193.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Tawnos said:
Again, you are conjecturing. And I really don't think there's as vast of a difference as you say. The difference between an AIDS walk and this is that people come out for an AIDS walk to participate in the walk, people come out for this to be entertained while supporting a good cause. The entertainers have a right to promote themselves.

And that article is so skewed in pro-ownership favor, I'm not surprised it had no quotes about the charity in there. None of the quotes were in response to anything said about the charity.

Oh, and anyone who doubts the sincerity of this event really pays no attention to NHL players, who are the most charitable of any players in any sport.

There's also a difference between promoting your company via merchandise that ALSO supports the charity you're supposedly working for, and taking opportunity to promote your side in a work stoppage via merchandise that makes absolutely no mention of the charity. One is serving yourself WHILE you serve others - fairly harmless - the other one is using the charity as your vehicle to self-promote. One's a little opportunistic, the other one is completely self-serving.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
guymez said:
Look....if you want to believe that a game played by a local team in the local teams communtiy arena, promoted by the local team has no bearing what so ever on how it is attended....knock youself out.

Then please explain how I can walk up to any Tornado game 5 minutes before the game and buy a ticket, yet this game sold out in two and half hours? What was the difference? The Dallas Stars.

And that local teams arena you keeping talking about, you forgot to mention it also the Stars practice facility with pictures of the Stars plastered on the outside of the building, but your right they had nothing to do with the success of this event.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Joe_Strummer said:
800 people?

:handclap: :lol: :yo: ... tough nuts for the players sucks for the charity ... maybe they'll donate more out of their pocket, to help sway public interest ... keep us posted

if that doesn't show that the fans are on the owners side, I don't know what does.

A jr B playoff game doubles that lol.

Im glad shows the players how stupid they have been.

Phanuthier*

Tawnos said:

The entertainers have a right to promote themselves... sure (I don't think any of the sponsers on the shirts I have promote one and only one things on there: the company. All of them have small logo's on the back and a big logo of the charity at hand). But at the same time, the public has a right to critisize them as well, should they promote their own cause more then the charity itself. Ontop of that, it was also LEVERAGE in an attempt to sway the public onto their side during a time of a lockout. That is petty.

And once again, IF Ryan Smyth wanted to promote his company, wouldn't it be Edmonton Oiler t-shirts and logo's instead of the NHLPA? The NHLPA has nothing to market. They are a union, not a company/business. That in itself shows that the event was nothing more then leverage in promoting their side.

As for the last statement... I agree. Which I why I'm surprised a classy guy like Ryan Smyth would do this. I'm very dissapointed in him and the players that played in this gong=show of a "charity" event.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Icey said:
Then please explain how I can walk up to any Tornado game 5 minutes before the game and buy a ticket, yet this game sold out in two and half hours? What was the difference? The Dallas Stars.

And that local teams arena you keeping talking about, you forgot to mention it also the Stars practice facility with pictures of the Stars plastered on the outside of the building, but your right they had nothing to do with the success of this event.

So....are you trying to convince me that the locals teams affiliation with the Dallas Stars played a big roll. I can't argue with that line of thought. You would think though, being the big NHLPA supporter that you are, you would try to present an argument which distanced itself from the NHL or anything NHL related. Sounds to me like this was promoted as an NHL Dallas Stars associated event. You think it would have made a difference in Red Deer if it was promoted as an NHL Edmonton Oiler associated event for charity? Uh...yes.
And this helps your argument....how?

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
"It's a delicate situation and we understand that," said Edmonton defenceman Steve Staios, an outspoken NHLPA rep during the failed labour negotiations. "You don't ever want to strain their relationship with the fans. We want to make sure that at the end of it all there's not too much damage done to the game. Hopefully they understand that the only thing we want to do is be back on the ice playing."

Steve Staios has my respect as a player, but I hate comments like these coming out of the PA. If the only thing they wanted to do was be on the ice playing, then they would have accepted the 42.5 offer at the deadline. Hell if PLAYING HOCKEY was the most important thing on their agenda, they would have agreed to terms on an deal last summer!

I know a lockout means that its the owners who are preventing them from playing, but really if it came down to it, and the players said they would play for an average of 1.3 mill and a 38 million dollar, hard cap, there would be hockey right now.

It just infuriates me when they spit that garbage about playing hockey being the #1 priority. Does the PA think we are stupid?

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm definitely anti-players, but for those who have pointed out that you don't need to go to the game to donate charity, have any of you yourselves done so since you read this article and made your anti-NHLPA positions made???

MissTeeks

Feb 1, 2005
Calgary, AB
Not sure if this has been mentioned...

Just heard on the Fan 960, that the game in Winnipeg has been cancelled due to poor pre-ticket sales. They said only about 800 had been sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad