Red Deer gives players the finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure how things went in Saskatchewan last night, but the event has now been cancelled in Winnipeg.....

I guess when the players count exceeds the ticket sales count, Ryan had to make a diff. decision!!!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Icey said:
Then you might also want to report that Mike Modano is also part owner of the Texas Tornado, funny you failed to mention that when you mentioned who owns the Tornado.

Of course it wasn't sponsored by the Dallas Stars but the Tornado and Stars are partners, I never said it was. Mike Modano was responsible for a large portion of this event happening. And their home arena is owned by the Dallas Stars, hence the name ... Dr. Pepper Star Center.

My intention was not to report on the game, I was simply stating that there are people who actually want to go see NHL players and not turn their back on them like so many here insist everyone is doing. But perhaps the orginal poster should have pointed out that there was a blizzard with white out conditions in red deer that night and perhaps that is why only 800 people showed up.

Considering the appearance of the Stanley Cup wasn't announced until last week and this game had been sold out the day the tickets went on sale, I can bet that not many went to view the Stanley Cup. The Cup has been in Dallas many times in the past, not much of a thrill anymore.

The fact that you are equating the event in Red Deer and the event in Frisco is a bit of a reach...don't you think? Spin it any way you want, it just not the same thing.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
guymez said:
The fact that you are equating the event in Red Deer and the event in Frisco is a bit of a reach...don't you think? Spin it any way you want, it just not the same thing.

Both games had NHL players playing for charity, so yes it is the same thing. You think that the red deer game was making a statement to the players that fans don't support them, I was just saying that was not so in Frisco. 85% of the arena was filled by Stars fans, all you had to do is look around and you would have seen that. People here want to see the NHL not just some wannabe hockey players.

I'm not spinning...you are.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
guymez said:
The Texas Tornado promoted this event (playing the NHL stars) for most of the season, and like they usually do with other games, they supported this game too.

This game was not even announced until February 24th with tickets going on sale March 1st, so how have they been promoting it all season??? yes they promoted, for 3 weeks they promoted. But you still don't seem to get the point. It wasn't about who sponsored it but rather who played in it.

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
Benji Frank said:
I'm not sure how things went in Saskatchewan last night, but the event has now been cancelled in Winnipeg.....

I guess when the players count exceeds the ticket sales count, Ryan had to make a diff. decision!!!

As Pro-Owner as I am, this sucks. The charity even was a really good thing, but it just shows how mad people in Canada are at the players. No one is dieing to see them anymore. We are dieing for our hockey, but the difference up here is we can get some fixes elsewhere. By no means is it the same as the nhl, but its livable, and that is what the players got to realize. Now if this drags out for another season, the NHL could lose all interest up north just with fan backlash. Remember, even though Canadians love there hockey, we as a whole are usually a proud bunch, and being a proud bunch we don't like being toyed with. People are getting to the point where they say they no longer care, but are actually starting to mean it. Lets hope for the sake of hockey this gets fixed soon.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Icey said:
Both games had NHL players playing for charity, so yes it is the same thing. You think that the red deer game was making a statement to the players that fans don't support them, I was just saying that was not so in Frisco. 85% of the arena was filled by Stars fans, all you had to do is look around and you would have seen that. People here want to see the NHL not just some wannabe hockey players.

I'm not spinning...you are.

Listen....until we are discussing an event where in both cases the LOCAL hockey team is playing ( a team the LOCAL community cares about and supports) they are totally different.
It's pretty clear that you are over spinning this because you are starting to get disorientated. I can think of no other reason why you won't acknowledge the obvious difference.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Bauer83 said:
As Pro-Owner as I am, this sucks. The charity even was a really good thing, but it just shows how mad people in Canada are at the players. No one is dieing to see them anymore. We are dieing for our hockey, but the difference up here is we can get some fixes elsewhere. By no means is it the same as the nhl, but its livable, and that is what the players got to realize. Now if this drags out for another season, the NHL could lose all interest up north just with fan backlash. Remember, even though Canadians love there hockey, we as a whole are usually a proud bunch, and being a proud bunch we don't like being toyed with. People are getting to the point where they say they no longer care, but are actually starting to mean it. Lets hope for the sake of hockey this gets fixed soon.

excellent post. you've written my thoughts completely. (well, except for being pro-owner, lol. i'm not anti-owner by any means, i just find both sides at fault.)

Phanuthier*

Rydified said:
Without charity events (like this) I would not donate money to charity. I'm also willing to bet that at least 85% of the people who come with me also don't donate to charity.
I guess thats just you, then.

I donate regularly without needing a event to entice me.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Icey said:
This game was not even announced until February 24th with tickets going on sale March 1st, so how have they been promoting it all season??? yes they promoted, for 3 weeks they promoted. But you still don't seem to get the point. It wasn't about who sponsored it but rather who played in it.
Yes it is exactly about who played in it. See post 158.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
the point about the junior team being involved is very valid.

one need only look at the brad may charity game in vancouver.

Phanuthier*

ACC1224 said:
What percentage of the 12.95 do you think will go to the charity?
I would hope all of it.

When I used to play for a non-profit percussion ensamble, not only would we take 0% of the profits, we would each have to sink $50 for insurance, transportation (for the instruments), various other rentals and the stage. In one of the performances, we made over $125,000 and not a penny of it went back into our pockets, dispite the money we sunk into that charity event.

I would *hope* that not a penny of Ryan Smyth's "charity" hockey game went into any of the players pockets. If a grade 11 student can sink 50$ into a charity event and have all the charity money go to where its supposed to go (charity) then I'm sure a couple of millionair professional athletes can do the same.

Phanuthier*

Beukeboom Fan said:
I'm a CPA south of the border, and I'll tell you that regardless of where you live, you still owe taxes to the country you have citizenship with. In many cases, you receive credit for any taxes paid to the country in which you work, but you are still paying taxes.

I bet that Melnyk pays more taxes to Canada this month than you'll pay your entire life. Ever think that he lives in Barbados because it's absolutely beautiful and the weather is incredible?
... so is BRG coming back?

mooseOAK*

Splatman Phanutier said:
I guess thats just you, then.

I donate regularly without needing a event to entice me.
Which is a good idea, an event has costs that need to be taken care of before anything goes to charity. Better to just send the money directly.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Bauer83 said:
As Pro-Owner as I am, this sucks. The charity even was a really good thing, but it just shows how mad people in Canada are at the players. No one is dieing to see them anymore. We are dieing for our hockey, but the difference up here is we can get some fixes elsewhere.
And it's not even just up there. I'm sensing the same thing more and more here in the Denver area. And you're right... it's not like it's hard to get the fix elsewhere, between minor hockey, minor-league hockey, and especially the top-flight college hockey teams that we have, which are the focus right now. It's going to be a fun, fun weekend of college hockey for fans of the local teams... and hopefully a successful one too! Go DU and CC!

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i guess i shouldn't be surprised that some posters criticized the smyth's charity event due to the nhlpa being involved.

i remember when people criticized phaneuf for "only" donating $ 2500 to the tsunami aid.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=123389

maybe i've lost my perspective, but isn't the charity being supported all that matters. i doubt the local charities are upset about the nhlpa's involvement ? there are several reasons that can be debated why fans didn't show up, but the fact remains that it has to be a huge concern for both the nhl and it's players.

Phanuthier*

hawker14 said:
i guess i shouldn't be surprised that some posters criticized the smyth's charity event due to the nhlpa being involved.

i remember when people criticized phaneuf for "only" donating $ 2500 to the tsunami aid.

maybe i've lost my perspective, but isn't the charity being supported all that matters. i doubt the local charities are upset about the nhlpa's involvement ? there are several reasons that can be debated why fans didn't show up, but the fact remains that it has to be a huge concern for both the nhl and it's players.
The players didn't donate to that chrity (as far as this topic is concerned). This isn't even what the topic's about. Its about the players marketing themself in what should have been an event about charity. Instead, they used it as a tactical propaganda ploy to sway fans to their side.

If they would have actually supported cancer research and promote the charity they say they are, then they have my thumbs up. But if your gonna charge 25$ to have fans watch you play a game of shinny, and say its a charity event but use it to prop up your union, thats pathetic.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Splatman Phanutier said:
The players didn't donate to that chrity (as far as this topic is concerned). This isn't even what the topic's about. Its about the players marketing themself in what should have been an event about charity. Instead, they used it as a tactical propaganda ploy to sway fans to their side.

If they would have actually supported cancer research and promote the charity they say they are, then they have my thumbs up. But if your gonna charge 25$ to have fans watch you play a game of shinny, and say its a charity event but use it to prop up your union, thats pathetic.

well, these are the posted objectives of the the tour.

# To provide an opportunity for locked out NHL players to make a further contribution to community hockey programs and local charities.
# To promote a new and highly entertaining format of recreational hockey featuring interactive opportunities with players.
# By expanding the program on a 4 City basis, assist with the growth and development "for the love of the game"

http://www.mtscentre.com/press_releases/050307/index.php

"locked out nhlers" are members of the nhlpa, and that's why they were giving away free merchandise. it was in support of the event.

i'm sure they would've liked to give away free nhl merchandise, but that's not appropriate in light of negotiations.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
hawker14 said:

It seems to me that Ryan and Friends did themselves and the charity a diservice by not disassociating the event from the NHLPA.
This is a highly charged (this board is pretty good evidence of that)
very polarized topic (especially in Canada) and Ryan should have known better. The optics are critical.
Maybe the event should have been done as just players themselves helping charity. That way they could have been handing out T-shirts that promote the charity and not the NHLPA. I think it would have been much better received.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Steve L said:
Why not contribute to the charity directly then if its all about that? Then no money gets diluted into paying arena costs or staff. Thats the best way the charity can win.

Not supporting the charity and not supporting the tour are 2 totally seperate things, shame you cant realise that.
They're not 2 seperate things at all.
You're correct that direct contributions are a better way to get the majority of money into the hands of the cause but i dont understand how you can consider alternate methods of achieving the same purpose as *totally seperate* things.

Phanuthier*

To provide an opportunity for locked out NHL players to make a further contribution to community hockey programs and local charities.
They DO realize that they can contribute to the community and charities without having fans pay 25$ to play a game of shinny? You know, how about doing it themselves?

And arn't normal charity events an "optional" donation (there's a recommended amount, of coarse) ?

To promote a new and highly entertaining format of recreational hockey featuring interactive opportunities with players.

aka. pay for our building rental so we can practise, and the rest will go to charity.

By expanding the program on a 4 City basis, assist with the growth and development "for the love of the game"
Love of the game? Why is there a lockout again? Oh yeah, money - because players just can't figure out that splitting 42.5$ million a year, every year, between 23 players isn't already a good deal.

As for their "merchandies" ... I know when I volunteer at charity events, I market the charity and the merchandise is supporting the cause, not for my own benefit.

BTW.. isn't Ryan Smyth a member of the Edmonton Oilers as well? Why wouldn't he be giving Edmonton Oiler stuff away? Why wouldn't Robyn Regehr be giving away Flames stuff? Oh yeah, because they are promoting their union.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
nothing stops people from donating on their own.

events like these are to further raise funds that wouldn't normally be donated.

the nhlpa has raised over $ 15 million for grassroots hockey programs, so why shouldn't it be involved in events when it's members are playing.

the players should be proud of themselves and their union for how they've helped raise money.

Phanuthier*

hawker14 said:
nothing stops people from donating on their own.

events like these are to further raise funds that wouldn't normally be donated.

the nhlpa has raised over $ 15 million for grassroots hockey programs, so why shouldn't it be involved in events when it's members are playing.

the players should be proud of themselves and their union for how they've helped raise money.
Once again, I have NO problem with players giving back to the community. Huge props to Flames and former Flames like Jarome Iginla, Scott Nichol, Denis Gauthier and Rick Tabaracci, who have been known to be big contributers to charities and volunteer work.

HOWEVER, that is not the point. The point is that they were marketing themselves, not the charity. And moreso (sounding like a very broken record here) they used a charity event as a tactical propaganda ploy to gain support for the NHLPA. That, to me, is bad taste.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
CarlRacki said:

Don't forget the Mario Lemieux foundation

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Splatman Phanutier said:
Once again, I have NO problem with players giving back to the community. Huge props to Flames and former Flames like Jarome Iginla, Scott Nichol, Denis Gauthier and Rick Tabaracci, who have been known to be big contributers to charities and volunteer work.

HOWEVER, that is not the point. The point is that they were marketing themselves, not the charity. And moreso (sounding like a very broken record here) they used a charity event as a tactical propaganda ploy to gain support for the NHLPA. That, to me, is bad taste.

You know what, this is ridiculous.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT RYAN SMITH'S MOTIVES WERE. IT WAS STILL FOR CHARITY Who cares about bad taste if it's going to help people?

This is like when people criticized Sandra Bullock for giving $1million to tsunami relief, saying "well there's some free publicity." Who cares? She still gave $1million to tsunami relief. Ryan Smyth tried to raise money for a good cause, who cares what else was going on. Not attending a charity event for the sole reason that you don't like the people involved in it is more petty than having a charity event to promote yourself.

Oh, and before you claim I'm partisan here since I'm an NHLPA supporter, I've been trying to plan to go to one of the Rangers' charity events that they hold but I just haven't been able to free up my schedule. If I cared who ran it, I wouldn't even think of attending.

Phanuthier*

Tawnos said:
You know what, this is ridiculous.

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT RYAN SMITH'S MOTIVES WERE. IT WAS STILL FOR CHARITY Who cares about bad taste if it's going to help people?

This is like when people criticized Sandra Bullock for giving $1million to tsunami relief, saying "well there's some free publicity." Who cares? She still gave $1million to tsunami relief. Ryan Smyth tried to raise money for a good cause, who cares what else was going on. Not attending a charity event for the sole reason that you don't like the people involved in it is more petty than having a charity event to promote yourself.
You know what, this is rediculus.

THIS IS A DICUSSION BOARD. ITS OPEN TO OPINION, AND I HAVE MY OPINION JUST LIKE YOU DO TOO. Maybe you don't think there's anything wrong with it, but I do. I think its bad form. Feel free to disagree, but your opinion is NOT a fact.

Not supporting the organizers of a charity event is petty? How do you figure that, exactly? If an individual doesn't support the event, he can make contributions in other forms (ie. donations straight to the chairty). I know thats what I would rather do then support some of these scums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad