Red Dead Redemption 2 (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I've never played Red Dead Redemption to any length, played around on it for a while on my friend's system, but I'm really looking forward to this game, I'm going to keep my eye on reviews and probably try to get it on a Black Friday sale.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
probably a dumb question, but if you pre-order on Xbox itself, we will be able to play at 12:01am on Friday, right?

or is this like movies where they SAY a movie comes out on Friday but really its in theatres Thursday night

I am leaving town on Friday and have all of Thursday off work so it would be nice

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I really hope I see the end of this game. I've started so many great games over the past year or so and just never finished them for no apparent reason other than I found something else to play. God of War, AC: Origins, Persona 5, GTAV, Witcher 3 etc. all met the same fate. I enjoy them a lot, but then I sit down wanting to play a video game and just don't open it and start playing something else until I forget all about the other game. With how long this game supposedly is I can see myself killing it through the first 20 hours or so and then just start playing something else, but I loved the first one and made it all the way through. It's really a more recent thing that I just can't seem to finish games that take longer than like 20 hours for some reason even when I'm enjoying them.

I am the exact same way. Get really into a game, then just stop one day, and once you stop its hard to pick back up

I can probably count on one hand how many Xbox games I've beat, lets see

MGSV
FFXV
Red Dead Redemption 1
Assassins Creed 3

Thats all I can think of lol

I have a feeling I will be adding RDR2 to this last. The first one was my favorite 360 game I ever played

I tend to like to stick to quick games you can pick up and play for a little bit and not have to dive to deep into, like Overwatch, NHL, Rocket League, etc.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Just wondering, why don't you trust Rockstar? GTA 5 was a ****ing masterpiece, and they've released an incredible amount of DLC 100% free.

Depends what you think is incredible DLC. GTA IV had incredible DLC, the Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony etc. Excellent stories and value to your money.

I don't really consider their online updates to be great DLC. It's bogged with annoying people, slow lobbies, and really nothing more than a cash grab.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Pretty much this...

...it seems like a really fun thing to do in a RDR game and it's a shame they're making people pay extra in order to do it.

Or just be patient, it'll all be in the complete edition that comes out a couple months later once the preorder and day one cash stops flowing in. Same cycle for all games really.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Out of that list, only God of War and Witcher 3 have actual engaging plots. If you are the kind of player that does as many quests as possible finishing Witcher 3 could take around 80+ hours so that game was rather unique in it's length in terms of popular games. I can imagine a lot of people didn't finish it..

Witcher 3 is terrible. If it's 80+ hours, 75 of them are dumb cutscenes and loading the same tale over and over, another 5 for just trying to figure out inventory, 2 for whatever that card game was and 1 in actual gameplay. Have no idea why people love this annoying shit.

Complete 10 main quests get 300xp. You level up to level 3 at 5000. Also here's your 100 shillings or whatever the currency is, now you can buy a common bronze sword for 110000. After the shopkeeper tells you a tale for 5 minutes every god damn time.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Depends what you think is incredible DLC. GTA IV had incredible DLC, the Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony etc. Excellent stories and value to your money.

I don't really consider their online updates to be great DLC. It's bogged with annoying people, slow lobbies, and really nothing more than a cash grab.
I said incredible amount of DLC. Every single piece of DLC has been free, it is pretty much unheard of for a console game to have every DLC to be free. If you look at the online game as it was released compared to the game 2+ years after release it is incredibly different. The amount of content they've added is just nuts.

While I do agree that they really try to add a lot of money dumps into the game, to encourage people to buy shark cards, I have put quite a significant amount of time into the game and haven't spent a dime after release. You don't HAVE to spend money to have fun in the game. (Especially if you know about the Bogdan Problem trick).

You can't rate a game based on the other individuals you're playing with, that's not a reflection of the game or Rockstar at all. You're going to get annoying people in pretty much any video game that you play. Since about ~1 year after release I haven't had too many game-breaking lobbies either.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This and GoW seem to be GOTY contenders, I wonder which one will win out..

Yeah, those are the two front runners for sure. There's still Fallout 76 as well, but I'm not optimistic that it will succeed - it's the type of game that screams having major issues at launch. Super Smash Bros Switch comes out in December as well.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I'm interested in seeing if the single player mode will be as great as previous Rockstar games. They made ungodly amounts of money from GTA Online, I'm a bit concerned that their focus will shift to that aspect of the game. But I'm on PC so I guess when it comes time for me to decide to buy it or not I'll know all about that by then.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Witcher 3 is terrible. If it's 80+ hours, 75 of them are dumb cutscenes and loading the same tale over and over, another 5 for just trying to figure out inventory, 2 for whatever that card game was and 1 in actual gameplay. Have no idea why people love this annoying ****.

Complete 10 main quests get 300xp. You level up to level 3 at 5000. Also here's your 100 shillings or whatever the currency is, now you can buy a common bronze sword for 110000. After the shopkeeper tells you a tale for 5 minutes every god damn time.

tenor.gif

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
If the individuals are using a controversial game mechanic the devs intentionally put into the game then yes, you can 10000% blame the devs
Sure, blame the devs all you want. I'm saying that you shouldn't blame the individual players that you're playing with if you're not happy about something that the devs put into the game. Blame the devs all you want, but when you're discounting a game because you think the other players are annoying that's just off-base, in my opinion. I can understand someone not wanting to play a game for that reason, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the game because other players are annoying.

If someone is playing a Grand Theft Auto video game and is upset that people are being dicks to them then they are probably not playing the right game for them. The GTA universe revolves around people f***ing other people over, and generally being horrible to one another.

If you don't want to play with people who are doing that, then join a crew and play in crew-only lobbies. Or better yet, the game has been out for long enough, if it was such a big deal for someone they could find a group of friends to play with.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Some EB locations will be open and selling RDR2 as of 9PM tomorrow.

:ghost2:

Also I just stared The Witcher 3 and love it. A shame RDR is so close.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I said incredible amount of DLC. Every single piece of DLC has been free, it is pretty much unheard of for a console game to have every DLC to be free. If you look at the online game as it was released compared to the game 2+ years after release it is incredibly different. The amount of content they've added is just nuts.

While I do agree that they really try to add a lot of money dumps into the game, to encourage people to buy shark cards, I have put quite a significant amount of time into the game and haven't spent a dime after release. You don't HAVE to spend money to have fun in the game. (Especially if you know about the Bogdan Problem trick).

You can't rate a game based on the other individuals you're playing with, that's not a reflection of the game or Rockstar at all. You're going to get annoying people in pretty much any video game that you play. Since about ~1 year after release I haven't had too many game-breaking lobbies either.

GTA V Online mode has a shit ton of free DLC's. But honestly the items they release are so expensive you either have to grind 24/7 for a month to obtain a single item or buy Shark cards, which Rockstar likes a lot.

But I'm here still playing it almost daily 5 years later.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I want to get into GTA Online (I beat the main story of GTAV back when it first launched on PS3) but it seems like a such a daunting endeavour.

And last time I tried to play around in my brothers XBone I just started getting killed by some asshole.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I want to get into GTA Online (I beat the main story of GTAV back when it first launched on PS3) but it seems like a such a daunting endeavour.

And last time I tried to play around in my brothers XBone I just started getting killed by some *******.

Same here. I played it about a year after launch and did all the heists and whatnot, but now with all the additional DLCs and expensive stuff, I feel like I'm way too behind - daunting is a good word for sure. I did jump on for about an hour a few weeks ago to play quick games like RPGs vs. insurgents, which is a lot of fun.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Same here. I played it about a year after launch and did all the heists and whatnot, but now with all the additional DLCs and expensive stuff, I feel like I'm way too behind - daunting is a good word for sure. I did jump on for about an hour a few weeks ago to play quick games like RPGs vs. insurgents, which is a lot of fun.

Things like this are a good example of awesome additions to the game which don't require any money.

GTA V Online mode has a **** ton of free DLC's. But honestly the items they release are so expensive you either have to grind 24/7 for a month to obtain a single item or buy Shark cards, which Rockstar likes a lot.

But I'm here still playing it almost daily 5 years later.
Yeah, content is expensive, online is definitely designed to be a money-dump, but you can still play the game and not buy shark cards and have fun. Grinding in games is fun and rewarding though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad