Reckless Hits with Skates

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Kassian is a rat and he kicked Bolland hard enough to cut through Kevlar and tendons. Total accident though of course.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think next time I go in for a check I should do a full roundhouse or maybe a mule kick, you know for extra propulsion.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
I'm glad this thread is on the Leaf board and not the main board, because this is embarrassing.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I thought Cooke's hit on Karlsson was deliberate, but this one? I don't buy it. I think comparing it to a high-stick is grasping at straws. It sucked for the team and for us. It was an accident, and comes with the territory of playing a contact sport on skates and at high speeds.

I think the discussion should be focused on how we prevent it from happening again. Kevlar socks should be mandatory, but even then, fluke accidents will happen.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I'm glad this thread is on the Leaf board and not the main board, because this is embarrassing.
If you are embarrassed because another fan posts something you disagree with I suggest avoiding the internet altogether.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
[Mod]

I'm as big a fan of the Leafs as anyone on here. There was NO intent to kick or injure Bolland on the play. It wouldn't matter who the player was making the hit, all you guys would be all over how dirty, etc (insert opponents name here) is making the same hit. If he doesn't make a play and let Bolland get by, he gets disciplined by his coach. He did intentionally kick at his ankle in any way other than to attempt to control Bolland and make a hockey play. You know how hard it would be to think and react and actually plot out this scheme some of you think happened, where you'd have to see where your opponents ankle is, how it's orientated, and move your skate to a position where you would "cut" them.....? OK...I'm going to aim.....right....there......

The Cooke on Karlsson hit also, was NOT intentionally. I'm no fan of the way Cooke plays.

Both hits had unfortunate results/injuries.

Skates are sharpened differently over the last couple years than in any time as well. They are sharp!

When engaging a player into the boards at high speed feet are going to come up off the ice. How you people don't understand this floors me! It's like an open ice hit - your feet will "leave" the ice. It's all about the momentum, speed and the size of these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Im not accusing Kassian of doing it on purpose by any means...but you should be accountable for where your skate ends up.

Question: How many times over the course of a game do you think a players skate (whether it be the boot/blade/toe/heel) contacts an opposing players leg without the player getting harmed?

Honestly, it would be impossible for refs to track players skates....

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
but most players seem to be able to throw a check without slicing someone's tendons. Why is it the Cooke's and Kassian's of the NHL that are doing this?

Scum bag Petr Prucha intentionally sliced Kevin Bieksas tendon a few years ago...

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
[Mod]

I'm as big a fan of the Leafs as anyone on here. There was NO intent to kick or injure Bolland on the play. It wouldn't matter who the player was making the hit, all you guys would be all over how dirty, etc (insert opponents name here) is making the same hit. If he doesn't make a play and let Bolland get by, he gets disciplined by his coach. He did intentionally kick at his ankle in any way other than to attempt to control Bolland and make a hockey play. You know how hard it would be to think and react and actually plot out this scheme some of you think happened, where you'd have to see where your opponents ankle is, how it's orientated, and move your skate to a position where you would "cut" them.....? OK...I'm going to aim.....right....there......

The Cooke on Karlsson hit also, was NOT intentionally. I'm no fan of the way Cooke plays.

Both hits had unfortunate results/injuries.

Skates are sharpened differently over the last couple years than in any time as well. They are sharp!

When engaging a player into the boards at high speed feet are going to come up off the ice. How you people don't understand this floors me! It's like an open ice hit - your feet will "leave" the ice. It's all about the momentum, speed and the size of these guys.

[Mod]

Guy led with his foot and hit Bolland so hard he almost broke his own ankle. Dirty dirty play

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanevian*

If you are responsible for your stick at all times, you should certainly be responsible for your skates at all times.

If you take a shot and your follow through hits someone you do not get a penalty. I will allow you to extrapolate. I am not even sure how a ref could call this new penalty, are they supposed to start watching players feet or use video review?

2 minutes in the box isn't going to fix Bolland.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hockey is a game where men skate around on knives. Players are going to get cut by them. It happens every year, and it usually isn't pretty. I'd say it's actually pretty amazing it doesn't happen more often. When you see guys crash the net, bodies flying everywhere and players going down...it's almost shocking more players don't get cut. Somehow we've seen 2 players get their throats cut open and neither died. Kassian certainly didn't intend to cut Bolland, that's ridiculous on so many levels. These guys aren't out on the ice to kill each other.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
I never played hockey, so I've never thrown a bodycheck, but most players seem to be able to throw a check without slicing someone's tendons. Why is it the Cooke's and Kassian's of the NHL that are doing this? Seems suspect to me...and he really led with his left foot. I'd like to see him get a game or 2 just to send a message that guys need to be more responsible for their skate blades. Make the socks mandatory too...

And while we're at it let's also suspend noted goons like Petr Prucha, Vern Fiddler (both on Bieksa), Carey Price (on Markov), Peter Regin (on Cal Clutterbuck), Brent Burns (on Jason Blake) etc. etc. etc.

Skate cuts happen. You're grasping at straws to say that because some of them have involved dirty players that they must have intended those injuries.

Look, it sucks to lose a key player, but its way too easy to chase conspiracies down the rabbit hole. Really everyone in this thread who is somehow seeing "intent to injure" should instead just be cheering the team to do what good teams do - find ways to win in the face of adversity.

A 1 or 2 game suspension to "send a message" on a freak injury that occurs maybe once every thousand games or so doesn't bring Bolland back or fix the Leaf's even strength or defensive play.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
And while we're at it let's also suspend noted goons like Petr Prucha, Vern Fiddler (both on Bieksa), Carey Price (on Markov), Peter Regin (on Cal Clutterbuck), Brent Burns (on Jason Blake) etc. etc. etc.

Skate cuts happen. You're grasping at straws to say that because some of them have involved dirty players that they must have intended those injuries.

Look, it sucks to lose a key player, but its way too easy to chase conspiracies down the rabbit hole. Really everyone in this thread who is somehow seeing "intent to injure" should instead just be cheering the team to do what good teams do - find ways to win in the face of adversity.

A 1 or 2 game suspension to "send a message" on a freak injury that occurs maybe once every thousand games or so doesn't bring Bolland back or fix the Leaf's even strength or defensive play.

Meh, maybe you're right. Keeping you're feet on the ice when you make a hit doesn't seem totally unreasonable to me, but maybe it is.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Ok, so when it comes to high sticks, intent is never questioned, it's simply considered reckless play. Same with checks from behind. I doubt guys are trying to injure, but they need to be held accountable so that there's an awareness out there. We penalize and suspend for recklessness, in those cases.

So why, when it comes to skate lacerations on hits, potentially just as deadly or more deadly than the two aforementioned types of reckless play, do so many say "oh, it was an accident" And "he didn't mean it, so nothing you can do"? How silly is that?

The two most recent high profile incidents with skate cuts are from two notoriously dirty players who's careless play has cause severe injuries to their opponents prior to their skate flinging hits. I'm talking about that scum bag Cooke (we all know his history prior to the Karrlson tendon injury), and that dirt bag Kassian, who also carelessly let his stick fling into the jaw of Sam Gagner during this past preseason, breaking Sam's jaw in the process.

What gives, why the double standard? This Kassian guy, like Cooke, let his skate dangerously swing in the air on what was otherwise a routine hit, and people are saying its a hockey play. To me, it's no different than a careless high stick, or check from behind, but with much more serious consequences. If it happened more often and if it was being done by a sample size of players without a bad history, I'd be more forgiving, but to me this is an obvious reckless play by a guy with a reckless history, just like the poster boy for recklessness, Matt Cooke.

Makes no sense. Now I know how Sens fans felt last season.

Please for the love of the game of hockey tell me you're not serious. Is your agenda to eliminate the sport of hockey? Maybe the next thing to do to "protect the players from themselves" is just outlaw the use of skates in the game. I mean they are the common denominator in 100% of this type of nefarious incident.

Sad.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Wow. Just wow.

I have a hard time believing you graduated highschool. I mean what you just wrote is cringe-worthy, there's really no other way to describe it. You should just totally avoid using words like "momentum" if you don't even know what they mean.

The force of his 100 kilo body gliding across the ice concentrated at the front of a razor sharp steel blade was surely not enough because...momentum! He needed to increase the force (or decrease it, you know, whatever) by lifting his foot a few inches off the ice!

You cracked the case, call off Bryan Murray's forensic investigation!

I have asked you questions in the past about hockey and you could not answer them, so I take everything you say with that basic knowledge in mind when reading your posts.

Watch the video and tell me why his contact point with Bolland was his left ankle? He lead with his foot with a kicking motion. When attempting a body check you do not lead with your feet.....you lead with your body and your feet follow. You do not kick to start a hit!

Elementary class is over.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Except for the dozens of times every game that this happens, because the old way of pinning a player to the boards is now a penalty.

How can you people watch hockey and yet still somehow miss the fact that every NHL player has been doing this for years?

Please provide another video clip of a player leading with his skate in a kicking motion while checking a player......I will await your proof that this act has been happening for years.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009
Meh, maybe you're right. Keeping you're feet on the ice when you make a hit doesn't seem totally unreasonable to me, but maybe it is.

Well.... it is unreasonable, no offence. Pick any player do a google image search for "[player name] hit". You will see dozens of examples of skates coming off the ice during a hit. 4 of the first 6 photos when you search for "Phaneuf hit" show him with one or both skates off the ice (and then, for some reason, one image of him touching Elisha Cuthbert's butt).

There's just no way to legislate "both feet must be on the ice during body contact" into the game without completely changing the game.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

You've clearly never played hockey ever. This whole thread is a fu€king joke. Try skating across the ice and finishing a check without either skate coming off the ice at all....
Just doesn't happen. Was it careless , maybe. Was he like Charles Manson trying to cut thru bollands leg and kill him on the spot ... Cmon

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
You've clearly never played hockey ever. This whole thread is a fu€king joke. Try skating across the ice and finishing a check without either skate coming off the ice at all....
Just doesn't happen. Was it careless , maybe. Was he like Charles Manson trying to cut thru bollands leg and kill him on the spot ... Cmon

I've said repeatedly that I never played hockey. Still, you yourself admit that it was careless. Accidental high sticks are penalized...just sayin'...

Last edited:

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Toronto penalty to number #71 David Clarkson, 2 minutes for lifting his foot off the ice while engaging opponent. Time of the penalty......

That better guys???

Oh wait - better send the tape in to review possible further discipline.

Last edited:

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Toronto penalty to number #71 David Clarkson, 2 minutes for lifting his foot off the ice while engaging opponent. Time of the penalty......

That better guys???

Oh wait - better send the tape in to review possible further discipline.

You're just being silly. You don't get a penalty just for having your stick up, you have to hit someone with it. I get your point, but be reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad