Reckless Hits with Skates

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Sorry to offend you with my post?
After the Cooke/Karlsson incident, my team tried to replicate Cooke's actions by going into the boards and trying to kick a small spot higher than the receiving player's skate would be.
Most of us fell on our rears, we were laughing at how ridiculous the idea was.
In any event, I came here to congratulate posters here on their interesting and largely unbiased analysis of the incident.
If my posts are somehow being misconstrued as flaming by you, feel free to block me, diceman934.

So your Peewee team could not perform the same play as an NHL player.....big surprise....also it happen twice now without the players falling on their ass.......

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
He has nothing to gain by calling it a purposeful act.....lets ask Bolland I bet he sees this differently....he may not publicly say so...but I have believe he knows that he was kicked.

So you assume Nonis lied when he said it was an accidental play simply because he has nothing to gain by telling the truth?!

Interesting take.

If that was the case, instead of flat out lying about his true feelings... wouldn't he just say 'no comment' as opposed to blatantly lying?

Bottom line: Nobody in the NHL at any level (that I have seen at least) has called this unfortunate injury to Bolland anything but a 100% accident.

That's where we're at.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
I agree....

Some one here want you to believe that the best players in the world can not kick a person while checking a player.....so funny. Watch the play again and you will see that it was not a normal hit....the first time I got slewfooted I suffered an concussion. No penalty on the play.

I've always said it. It's the harmless looking plays that's are more dangerous. Look when Phaneuf got cut. Compared to when Kadri went tumbling in to the boards 2 games ago. Show both to an un educated person and he would think 9/10 times Kadri would be the one out for weeks

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So you assume Nonis lied when he said it was an accidental play simply because he has nothing to gain by telling the truth?!

Interesting take.

If that was the case, instead of flat out lying about his true feelings... wouldn't he just say 'no comment' as opposed to blatantly lying?

Bottom line: Nobody in the NHL at any level (that I have seen at least) has called this unfortunate injury to Bolland anything but a 100% accident.

That's where we're at.

The announcers watching the replay called it a kick......that is where we are.....

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
So your Peewee team could not perform the same play as an NHL player.....big surprise....also it happen twice now without the players falling on their ass.......
I suppose the acid test will be if the NHL deems it as "reckless" or "intent to injure".
They will be reviewing it from every angle available, I'm sure.
Or should I assume you include Brendan Shanahan as part of the anti-Leafs conspiracy?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I watched it again several times.....he kicked him. Watch it again a few times and it is clear that he did.

If it is reviewed by the NHL he gets games....his first contact with Bolland was with his left skate.

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
I watched it again several times.....he kicked him. Watch it again a few times and it is clear that he did.

If it is reviewed by the NHL he gets games....his first contact with Bolland was with his left skate.

FYI... All incidents involving injuries are reviewed by the league.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yes...an accidental 'kick'. The Leaf's GM concurs.

You didn't respond to my question about Nonis lying. Just curious as to your take on that one.

No such thing as an accidental kick when checking a player.

I gave you my take on why I believe Nonis stated what he did.....you can go back an reread it if you like.

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011

You got a link to the hit. I can't find it on YouTube

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
Yes...an accidental 'kick'. The Leaf's GM concurs.

You didn't respond to my question about Nonis lying. Just curious as to your take on that one.

And just like an accidental high stick, players are responsible and punished.
That's all he's getting at

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
No such thing as an accidental kick when checking a player.

I gave you my take on why I believe Nonis stated what he did.....you can go back an reread it if you like.

What you didn't address was my question about WHY Nonis would lie about believing it was an accident - as you suggested - as opposed to just saying 'no comment'.

I just want to hear your reasoning for that.

Thanks Tips!

No worries. Glad I could inform you.

And just like an accidental high stick, players are responsible and punished.

Right... and the fact that Kassian WASN'T punished by either of the referees, and - in the vast majority of people's opinions - WON'T be punished by by the league, means that it was an accident, not malicious, and not worthy of discipline.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cant believe people would try to compare a high stick to a skate being off the ice 6 inches. There is no reason your stick should be up around someones face, you HAVE to lift your leg to skate around the ice. Completely different.

I'm sure if it was Clarkson making this hit on say Santorelli last night there would not be a single person questioning if it was accidental or not

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
Cant believe people would try to compare a high stick to a skate being off the ice 6 inches. There is no reason your stick should be up around someones face, you HAVE to lift your leg to skate around the ice. Completely different.

I'm sure if it was Clarkson making this hit on say Santorelli last night there would not be a single person questioning if it was accidental or not

There is no reason for any players skate to be off the ice prior to a hit. End of story!

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Do people not understand how to throw a body check?

You need to push off your leg in order to actually move these guys. These aren't pillows you're pushing into a wall, these are 200 pound machines. You need to use some force which leads to the league coming up.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I never played hockey, so I've never thrown a bodycheck, but most players seem to be able to throw a check without slicing someone's tendons. Why is it the Cooke's and Kassian's of the NHL that are doing this? Seems suspect to me...and he really led with his left foot. I'd like to see him get a game or 2 just to send a message that guys need to be more responsible for their skate blades. Make the socks mandatory too...

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
If you take the time to watch the video, and slow it down just as Kassian is about to hit Bolland, you'll see that his left leg makes an unnatural kicking motion towards Bolland.

It happens very fast, so I doubt Kassian is actually trying to cut Bolland. But he certainly does have control over how to contort his body when approaching Bolland (he could've easily turned his hip into Bolland and used the boards to stop his momentum), but instead he chose to go in straight on, which, at the very least, caused his trailing left leg to kick towards his target. IMO, he intended to kick, like diceman says, to try and get more body on Bolland as he went into the hit a little off to the right. Either way, whether his leg kicked due to momentum or he actually kicked at Bolland, he made a dangerous, reckless play, just like he did on Sam Gagner.

There is a right way to hit, and a very wrong way to hit (from behind, with no control and legs kicking, head shots, etc) that need to be policed for the safety of the game.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
really? people think like this

Lets get the Ottawa CSI team to look into this for us :shakehead

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Yes he was and all the more reason to believe that it was a kick and not momentum as the force required to cut him would need to be greater then simple momentum......such as a kick!

Wow. Just wow.

I have a hard time believing you graduated highschool. I mean what you just wrote is cringe-worthy, there's really no other way to describe it. You should just totally avoid using words like "momentum" if you don't even know what they mean.

The force of his 100 kilo body gliding across the ice concentrated at the front of a razor sharp steel blade was surely not enough because...momentum! He needed to increase the force (or decrease it, you know, whatever) by lifting his foot a few inches off the ice!

You cracked the case, call off Bryan Murray's forensic investigation!

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
There is no reason for any players skate to be off the ice prior to a hit. End of story!

Except for the dozens of times every game that this happens, because the old way of pinning a player to the boards is now a penalty.

How can you people watch hockey and yet still somehow miss the fact that every NHL player has been doing this for years?

Alflives*

Except for the dozens of times every game that this happens, because the old way of pinning a player to the boards is now a penalty.

How can you people watch hockey and yet still somehow miss the fact that every NHL player has been doing this for years?

Skates come up, just like pucks and sticks do. At times there is a terrible consequence. Bolland will be back, hopefully sooner than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad