Post-Game Talk: Recipe to a Leafs win: Give up 50 shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I didn't think we were outplayed tonight. Something has got to change with the way this team approaches leads however, I thought Kessel's compete level was a joke after he scored the third goal. Whether he likes it or not he's the leader of our forward corps and he played incredibly soft after the 3-1 lead. This team has got to learn to bury teams and not take their foot off the gas.

As for the Sens, no matter how much they want to rub MacA in our face... We've already learnt that if Clarke is one of the best players on your team that you're not a playoff team. I'm not losing sleep over that lose.

I really hope this is the start of Gardiner's turning point. He's been pretty decent defensively for us this year outside the occasional brain fart, and has been our best D in terms of corsi. Starting the 2nd lowest offensive zone start %, and people are wondering why the offense hasn't come. I hate seeing Dion/Franson carrying the puck on the 1st PP unit, would much rather Jake there.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Is it all game long, or does when we get the lead, do the shots increase?

I'd like to see us attack more, with the lead.
We're not a juggernaut defensively, so we should play to our strengths a bit more.

At 3-1, we should have been going for 4-1

BayStreetBullies*

If the turds didn't get 8 PP opportunities, I would've thought the game was being played at the ACC.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
And I have to add: Our 2nd PP unit is awful with 1/3 of our top 6 out. Raymond is the only one who looks like he has any idea what to do.

Agreed 100%. That second PP unit is horawful to watch.

I've tried to block out everything that happens between Leafs goals. If you focus on the goals it makes it seem as if they deserve to win because you see more goals for than against usually.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That comparison makes no sense. For all I know, the Leafs could have been shorthanded 130 minutes, which doesn't bring your point across.

Either compare two teams, or compare McClement's PK TOI to the PK TOI of all Blackhawks combined. Then, and only then, will you have a point, if McClement's stat is higher.

I hate teaching logic on the internet.

That comparison isn't so bad, you can play 2 minutes on the PP but it's extremely hard to play all 2 minutes on a PK.

I'd say that the Leafs have played about 180-200 minutes SH given that McClement has played 125.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Is it all game long, or does when we get the lead, do the shots increase?

I'd like to see us attack more, with the lead.
We're not a juggernaut defensively, so we should play to our strengths a bit more.

At 3-1, we should have been going for 4-1

We played okay till the 3rd period began and deserved to be up 3-1. I don't know why this team sucks in the 3rd period.

8 penalties is way too much. We can't be taking that many penalties and expect to win our games.

Leafs were at their worst in the 3rd period. It seemed like we were the team that was down 3-1 and not them.

Outside of the third, we actually played pretty decent.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Pathetic effort and we gave up 50 shots but we won. I guess that's all that matters to some of you!

3rd periods are absolutely terrible. So many different teams playing for the Leafs in every game.

Lazy, smart, terrible, slow, fast, all rolled into one.

Hey, we're 16-11-3, all the while missing Clarkson for 10 games, Kadri for 4, Lupul for 8(and counting), Bozak for 14(and counting), Fraser for 15, Franson for 2, Kulemin for 12, Bolland for 15......

Yes, I'll take it.

OF COURSE we're barely hanging on, on most nights, with all those key guys out of the lineup.

We should all stop moaning/crying, and be happy that we've won as many as we have!!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So I dont know if they said this last night, but I just read it now:

No Sens player has scored in the shootout this season, and their goalies have not stopped any shots.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So I dont know if they said this last night, but I just read it now:

No Sens player has scored in the shootout this season, and their goalies have not stopped any shots.

yeup, Hughson mentioned it.
we were wondering if the Leafs would slumpbust that, but nope!

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Reporter:
Why do you think you back off on the third period?

Carlyle:
I think we freeze. We stop skating. We're beating it to death to not do it, if I knew the answer of why we do it, we wouldn't be doing it.

so - respectfully: can we stop saying this is Carlyle's system?

i agree with the stopping skating. there is a lot of paused passes and decision making. can't be 100% but if it's always happening in the third, then i think it's conditioning.

also, a lot of the leaf players were catching their breath and skating slowly to the bench like they were exhausted, compared to the first.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
All coaches have stubborn tendencies. Every fanbase complains about them but naturally we only care about our coaches stubbornness and how it affects the team. I think Fraser is one of Carlyle's stubbornness...much like Koskta was last season. Fraser brought some good qualities to the team last season but I see none of it this season. I'm going to be very disappointed if Liles isn't in the line up tomorrow. And I'm going to be very disappointed if Fraser continues to be in the line up when he continues to play the way he has been playing.

absolutely true, but i'd add orr, clarkson, gunnarson and until recently, ranger. like many here mentioned, i think clarkson should sit, i'm fine with ranger sitting and i'd rather see gunnar on a lower pairing.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
The Leafs have got to be the worst team in the entire league with a third period lead. If Carlyle doesn't realize that it's because we do nothing but chip the puck off the boards right to the other team then we should find a new coach. This is why we take so many penalties being a step behind on the counterattack. This is why we get outshot so badly. This is why we have only 4 goals combined from our defense (it's pretty hard to be part of the offense when you're trying to make plays to wingers in the neutral zone from your own icing line).

This guy is ****ing clueless.

crazyaces**

Anybody solve the case of the mysterious 6 SO wins? I only attended school up to grade 2, but im pretty sure I can still count! one, two three, four!

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Sens fans are so salty over in their PGT thread. They actually think their team is turning the corner and one of our members posted over there that the Leafs have traditionally this season looked bad in the third and not to take this as meaning the Sens were playing good as a good point and they jumped all over him.

The butthurt is delish.

Also they think that the Refs gifted us the win. I'm sorry but taking 8 penalties some of which the Sens players obviously dove, is not them gifting us the win. Also the Spezza goal was clearly waived off as the whistle blew way before he scored and Reimer clearly covered up. You can't push the Goalie. And the Gardiner goal was good as the Sen D obviously pushed JVR into the net and crease.

They just got their haterade blinders on and can't realistically judge or dissect a game when they play us because of their irrational hate. I guess it's cause we sellout their games for them.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Getting outplayed in the third is a reality.

You can sugar coat it anyway you want with "easy shots", but an easy shot still has to be stopped, whereas going 25 minutes without a shot on net means you don't even need a goalie in the net.

Certainly, the Leafs had some shots in the third last night, but you're only fooling yourself if you don't think goaltending has covered up a heck of a lot of poor play by the Leafs.

Rotten R, had the team outscoring their problems and it was mentioned that that was not sustainable, but people pretended that wasn't a problem. Then the wheels started leaving the highway and the team eventually rose(fell) to its' level of mediocrity and another disaster.

Kbs

Jun 30, 2008
London ON
Sens fans are so salty over in their PGT thread. They actually think their team is turning the corner and one of our members posted over there that the Leafs have traditionally this season looked bad in the third and not to take this as meaning the Sens were playing good as a good point and they jumped all over him.

The butthurt is delish.

Also they think that the Refs gifted us the win. I'm sorry but taking 8 penalties some of which the Sens players obviously dove, is not them gifting us the win. Also the Spezza goal was clearly waived off as the whistle blew way before he scored and Reimer clearly covered up. You can't push the Goalie. And the Gardiner goal was good as the Sen D obviously pushed JVR into the net and crease.

They just got their haterade blinders on and can't realistically judge or dissect a game when they play us because of their irrational hate. I guess it's cause we sellout their games for them.

They also brought up MacArthur's post game interview for "calling out the refs"... MacArthur said the ref should've called the play dead when JVR was pushed on top of Anderson :laugh: So, according to MacArthur, just push players into your own goalie to get the ref to call the play dead.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

The butthurt is delish.

The only play I'd be pissed over if I were a Sens fan would be the Kadri trip on Smith, that call could have really went either way and Kadri had his arms up to show he wasn't engaging Smith, but his stick was still between his legs. However, it's about damn time a couple of calls went our way after **** like the Malkin goal became somewhat regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad