Post-Game Talk: Recast Tippett

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you'll take a second to breathe and re-read my post, I gave credit for McDavid getting us to this point.

I don't think it is out of line to suggest that other areas of his game need to be cleaned up to get us to a Stanley Cup.

You posted it and even realized there would be push back. When you state that players like McDrai are the worst at getting set and prepared and starting games you know there is going to be pushback. Drai didn't have this issue in first dozen games this season. he was establishing tones regularly. I'm telling you that right now he has trouble even dressing or starting games. Takes awhile to even get moving after the punishment he's taking. You can easily see it that he is playing through injuries and that he never comes out of the lineup. Night after night he gets big minutes and big responsibilities on ice and just has to shoulder it.

McD has to summon super human effort, break speeds, push those cheat codes on a dime every night or people call him out. Its people wanting "Air Jordan" every night or they're call it out.

Its despicable. imo.

Certainly we can discuss player attributes, play, areas of improvement. You were specifically calling out the players and read back your post to see how one could get that message from your post.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You posted it and even realized there would be push back. When you state that players like McDrai are the worst at getting set and prepared and starting games you know there is going to be pushback. Drai didn't have this issue in first dozen games this season. he was establishing tones regularly. I'm telling you that right now he has trouble even dressing or starting games. Takes awhile to even get moving after the punishment he's taking. You can easily see it that he is playing through injuries and that he never comes out of the lineup. Night after night he gets big minutes and big responsibilities on ice and just has to shoulder it.

McD has to summon super human effort, break speeds, push those cheat codes on a dime every night or people call him out.

Its despicable.

I realized there would be push back because I know that some freak out at the suggestion of McDavid needing to get better at something, which apparently is true. Knew that I would get a few of these replies.

His defensive game and managing playing against a trap/box defense needs to get better despite everything else he does at a supernova level. Sorry this offends you.

It isn't like he's playing on the 95 Devils where a few guys can be given a break for poor O-zone play because everyone else dominates. Poor D zone and 5v5 play is a team wide problem, and the leadership group needs to take charge in changing it.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I realized there would be push back because I know that some freak out at the suggestion of McDavid needing to get better at something, which apparently is true. Knew that I would get a few of these replies.

His defensive game and managing playing against a trap/box defense needs to get better despite everything else he does at a supernova level. Sorry this offends you.

It isn't like he's playing on the 95 Devils where a few guys can be given a break for poor O-zone play because everyone else dominates. Poor D zone and 5v5 play is a team wide problem, and the leadership group needs to take charge in changing it.

Doesn't offend me. I get tired of it being so constant. So I should step away probably. It isn't you, its the totality of how much the two players are blamed on this board. Critiquing, sure. I agree theres areas both players can work on. But I also see a majority of games where the players appear to be trying to do that. When McD falters its because human frustration gets the better of him like last night.

But hey, its all easy for us to sit on our couches eating doritos saying he should just be better. This isnt me being pissed off, its trying to provide some feeback that it isn't all so easy and that overall, its silly to be blaming the best players. you did cross the line from critique to blame, and thats a difference I detected from your words. If that isn't intent, fine, we'll move on, sorry I did react.

Finally, there are no New Jersey Devils anymore because most of those coverage schemes eventually get exploited, but grow up again another day only to get exploited again. The 80's Oilers were pretty good at kicking down trap doors. But even they succumbed a few postseasons.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
There's an easy way to stay in the lineup ... play your ass off when given the chance and play well. Simple as that. 6th/7th D and 12th/13th forwards can be yanked out any time.

This is why I hate the notion that an offensively driven player gets a pass when he's brought up if he sucks.
The old 'yeah but look who he's playing with' bullshit is nothing but an excuse.

You have an opportunity to be one of 700 - 800 of the best players in the world. If you don't show enough in that opportunity than that's on you. Not who you're playing with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True that

I'm honestly wondering if this team will ever win with various emotions of the ole boys club. It has to be apparent by now that new fresh ideas are needed.

I tend to agree, but the same old boys network wouldn't recognize a young astute coaching hire that is going to knock it out of the park from a Charlatan. Thats the difficulty, and we had notice of that with the Eakins hire. They were fooled. Old boys aren't that good at hiring young boys.

But extreme risk exists with that too. If you manage to find an unestablished untested young coach, theres the danger of that, and not having resume, record, and substantiation. Its more of an unknown than just hiring somebody that is established. The Devils you know. The Oilers made an even more concerted move to hiring Devils they know after the Eakins episode. So much so that they weren't even prepared to look at Nelson.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
That's actually what I thought when they were hired.
We should be able to compete and these two would bring credibility to the organization that had been lacking.

Not so sure any more.

I think both are straight shooters. They don't waste a lot of energy trying to spin things. Tippett played a long time with fairly average skills. He knows the nuance and balance of team chemistry and hard reality of life as a depth player. I haven't seen any evidence of malicious behaviour nor any indication that this coach doesn't engage in direct, honest discussions with his players.

Strudwick has it right in his comment about a depth defenseman brought up to the big team due to an unheard of run of injuries. I like Lagesson but his place in this organization is slipping behind Broberg, Samaroukov and quite possibly Niemelainan who is bigger, younger and a better skater while bringing an equal physical game. This is an attention seeking agent trying to throw an NHL life line to a fringe client through whom it will net a bigger commission to have Lagesson as an NHL player vs topped out minor leaguer.

Walsh's self interests and adversarial business strategy should not throw shade on Holland and Tippett's credibility imo.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I tend to agree, but the same old boys network wouldn't recognize a young astute coaching hire that is going to knock it out of the park from a Charlatan. Thats the difficulty, and we had notice of that with the Eakins hire. They were fooled. Old boys aren't that good at hiring young boys.

But extreme risk exists with that too. If you manage to find an unestablished untested young coach, theres the danger of that, and not having resume, record, and substantiation. Its more of an unknown than just hiring somebody that is established. The Devils you know. The Oilers made an even more concerted move to hiring Devils they know after the Eakins episode. So much so that they weren't even prepared to look at Nelson.

Well I'll give you my opinion.
I actually think Holland is a good fit. For now. And any of Babcock / Tippet / etc was the right choice after McL stalled. We were a competitive team. I'm not so sure with Tippet anymore. I hate the fire the coach shit but the team seems off. Not garbage end of the world off - trade everybody shitcan go and coach off like lots of posters say - but off. I think you know what I mean.

Someone posted about Keefe being a fresh hire and another poster responded with Toronto being out in the first round so what's the difference? To me, I'd rather have a fresh young idea coach losing in the first round than an old established coach. We have the horses to be better. The young coach can grow and learn from experience. The experience of losing. Old coach's just try to preach the same thing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
I actually think Holland is a good fit. For now. And any of Babcock / Tippet / etc was the right choice after McL stalled. We were a competitive team. I'm not so sure with Tippet anymore. I hate the fire the coach shit but the team seems off. Not garbage end of the world off - trade everybody shitcan go and coach off like lots of posters say - but off. I think you know what I mean.

Someone posted about Keefe being a fresh hire and another poster responded with Toronto being out in the first round so what's the difference? To me, I'd rather have a fresh young idea coach losing in the first round than an old established coach. We have the horses to be better. The young coach can grow and learn from experience. The experience of losing. Old coach's just try to preach the same thing.

Look at Cooper. Everyone thought he didn’t have it, especially after they went out to the Blue Jackets in the first round. They brought in a couple guys he was looking for, adjusted and won back to back. Even has a team that lost quite a few players playing great again this year.

Woodcroft deserves a shot. Giving him an interim position would be the perfect opportunity for a test drive. If it doesn’t look like he’s ready, they can hire another veteran coach. Looks like some might be available now

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I think both are straight shooters. They don't waste a lot of energy trying to spin things. Tippett played a long time with fairly average skills. He knows the nuance and balance of team chemistry and hard reality of life as a depth player. I haven't seen any evidence of malicious behaviour nor any indication that this coach doesn't engage in direct, honest discussions with his players.

Strudwick has it right in his comment about a depth defenseman brought up to the big team due to an unheard of run of injuries. I like Lagesson but his place in this organization is slipping behind Broberg, Samaroukov and quite possibly Niemelainan who is bigger, younger and a better skater while bringing an equal physical game. This is an attention seeking agent trying to throw an NHL life line to a fringe client through whom it will net a bigger commission to have Lagesson as an NHL player vs topped out minor leaguer.

Walsh's self interests and adversarial business strategy should not throw shade on Holland and Tippett's credibility imo.

Absolutely.
I'm on the fence with Tippet. Still think he's a good coach but may have gone stale here.

Behind him and org 100% on this though. If Walsh / Lag think thus helps their cause they're out to lunch.

Unless there's something sinister behind the scenes it's a silly move. Does he think he's entitled? Like I said previously, agents usually speak publicly about stars not getting treated fairly in their opinion. A struggling fringe NHLer? Dumb.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Thanks for the response. I do need more indication before I would be content pulling a trigger. It would be highly unusual to fire one of the most successful coaches during a season, with the team in a very good spot.

The trouble with a young coach learning and growing on the spot is we don't really have the time for that. On the McD time clock there is even ample player frustration about guys like Pulju and Yama learning growing on the spot. I mean McD is several times angry at Pulju for the on ice mistakes he makes.

its complicated. The problems we face today, in some way are still the creation of Nicholson/Chiarelli. We haven't filled enough holes yet. We have Yama and Pulju required in topsix because we lack numbers there and we lack vet faces there. Hyman was a correct addition. We need another.

With that I guess I still see it as more a lineup issue than a coach issue, and that this convo is going on during a segmen where we were missing 4-5 D out of the lineup, and our stating goalie, it kind of backs that. Any team would be struggling right now. Wouldn't they?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Excellent rundown.

Reactions: MessierII

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Look at Cooper. Everyone thought he didn’t have it, especially after they went out to the Blue Jackets in the first round. They brought in a couple guys he was looking for, adjusted and won back to back. Even has a team that lost quite a few players playing great again this year.

Woodcroft deserves a shot. Giving him an interim position would be the perfect opportunity for a test drive. If it doesn’t look like he’s ready, they can hire another veteran coach. Looks like some might be available now

Love Cooper.
And I love teams that look cohesive. We have no emotion hardly. Best thing I saw lately was when Russell blocked the record breaking shot and Koski congratulated him.

Two rookies got their first goals last night. Cooper all over them laughing congratulating and joking.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Doesn't offend me. I get tired of it being so constant. So I should step away probably. It isn't you, its the totality of how much the two players are blamed on this board. Critiquing, sure. I agree theres areas both players can work on. But I also see a majority of games where the players appear to be trying to do that. When McD falters its because human frustration gets the better of him like last night.

But hey, its all easy for us to sit on our couches eating doritos saying he should just be better. This isnt me being pissed off, its trying to provide some feeback that it isn't all so easy and that overall, its silly to be blaming the best players. you did cross the line from critique to blame, and thats a difference I detected from your words. If that isn't intent, fine, we'll move on, sorry I did react.

Finally, there are no New Jersey Devils anymore because most of those coverage schemes eventually get exploited, but grow up again another day only to get exploited again. The 80's Oilers were pretty good at kicking down trap doors. But even they succumbed a few postseasons.

Blame isn't the right way to characterize it, but I do think that any team wide commitment to structured defensive and 5v5 hockey absolutely needs to be driven by McDavid and Leon. Right now I'm not seeing that from them.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks for the response. I do need more indication before I would be content pulling a trigger. It would be highly unusual to fire one of the most successful coaches during a season, with the team in a very good spot.

The trouble with a young coach learning and growing on the spot is we don't really have the time for that. On the McD time clock there is even ample player frustration about guys like Pulju and Yama learning growing on the spot. I mean McD is several times angry at Pulju for the on ice mistakes he makes.

its complicated. The problems we face today, in some way are still the creation of Nicholson/Chiarelli. We haven't filled enough holes yet. We have Yama and Pulju required in topsix because we lack numbers there and we lack vet faces there. Hyman was a correct addition. We need another.

With that I guess I still see it as more a lineup issue than a coach issue, and that this convo is going on during a segmen where we were missing 4-5 D out of the lineup, and our stating goalie, it kind of backs that. Any team would be struggling right now. Wouldn't they?

Yes very much so. Same page there. I'm not concerned much about this current phase. Missing what we're missing could gave devastating us.

I still believe in Tipp. But this year only. As I said I was in the camp for experience when he was hired. But McD and Drai don't need old structured work hard etc coaching anymore. It's not working for the team. They can simply do what ever they want to do without any input and be successful. The trick is to mold the rest of the team around them and that's where I think a new idea coach comes in.

For me that's eventually Woodcroft. He knows the organization, paid his dues as an assistant, and gas been successful on the farm. What more can we ask?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes very much so. Same page there. I'm not concerned much about this current phase. Missing what we're missing could gave devastating us.

I still believe in Tipp. But this year only. As I said I was in the camp for experience when he was hired. But McD and Drai don't need old structured work hard etc coaching anymore. It's not working for the team. They can simply do what ever they want to do without any input and be successful. The trick is to mold the rest of the team around them and that's where I think a new idea coach comes in.

For me that's eventually Woodcroft. He knows the organization, paid his dues as an assistant, and gas been successful on the farm. What more can we ask?
He literally coached a team to one of the largest win streaks in AHL history. He was able to get the team playing well enough that Starrett looked good. The team literally had 4 total players that werent even or higher, and even then the worst guy was a -3.
And even this year, while losing its best players, the team is routinely outplaying the other team but is constantly let down by goaltending.
Guy can get something out of absolutely nothing, is a players coach that is FAMILLIAR with our stars. And is by all accounts a very committed learner. Like listen to him talk about players, he knows their games inside and out and finds ways to have them contribute the best they can in the lineup.

Reactions: Skar and RegDunlop

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Any Edmonton sports fan would be right most of the time hating coaches. I mean for the most part for decades. Its a bit curious the same Sutter that is now the anointed hero in Calgary was locked out of the room in LA, by his mutinied players, and was fired from Calgary the previous time round. Sutter is a good coach. Not many better exist. But not many better than Tippett either. Threre's a lot worse coaches out there. you'd think we'd remember that type of thing, we've had some.

My thoughts as well.

The game now is all about acquiring the right fit. Nobody is loyal to any org with money involved.

These coaches don't stop becoming good coaches when they are unemployed. It's just not a good fit with the personnel at the time.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
From Oilers Nation and Gregor is 100% right about this tweet from Walsh who uses Twitter like a petulant child.

Just an attention getter as Lagesson is going to be hitting waivers again soon and he and his agent are looking for a claim.

He also was informed he wouldn't play by Larry Playfair so this is disingenuous at the very least.

Alan Walsh is a douchebag agent.

And Lagesson can GTFO anytime if he doesnt want to be here and doesnt think he is being treated fairly. f*** him. He is a nothing defenceman who literally nobody else wanted for free.

Let’s unpack this tweet.
Yes, Lagesson had solid possession numbers for that game.
Yes, Dave Tippett didn’t speak to Lagesson prior to the game. But Jim Playfair, the defence coach, did. Playfair spoke to Lagesson once he got to the rink.
Darnell Nurse wasn’t cleared to play until after the extras had skated in the morning, so that’s why Lagesson didn’t skate with them.
Jason Strudwick, who was healthy scratched over 100 times in his 13-year career, told me that it usually was the defence coach who told him he wasn’t playing. The head coach did a few times, but that wasn’t normal. He even said a few times he heard it from someone other than the coaches.
Tippett has long been well respected by his players, because he, according to them, is upfront about how he wants them to play. I don’t think Playfair informing Lagesson he wasn’t playing is a major sign of disrespect and I don’t see it destroying the team.
Walsh has never been afraid to speak publicly on behalf of his players. It is why many like him as their agent. Lagesson gave his agent the green light to tweet this. Lagesson is frustrated. He felt he played well on Friday and deserved to play. I can respect his competitive side. His challenge is he is currently ninth or 10th on the organization’s defensive depth chart. Nurse, Evan Bouchard, Duncan Keith, Kris Russell, Slater Koekkoek, Philip Broberg and Markus Niemelainen might all be ahead of him on the left side. It is clear Lagesson wants to be moved, otherwise this wouldn’t have become public.
The issue is he was on waivers earlier this year and no team claimed him. Once Keith and Koekkoek are healthy, Lagesson will go back on waivers. His agent wanted the league to take notice of his client’s stats. I get it. I’m just not sure it will work.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Absolutely.
I'm on the fence with Tippet. Still think he's a good coach but may have gone stale here.

Behind him and org 100% on this though. If Walsh / Lag think thus helps their cause they're out to lunch.

Unless there's something sinister behind the scenes it's a silly move. Does he think he's entitled? Like I said previously, agents usually speak publicly about stars not getting treated fairly in their opinion. A struggling fringe NHLer? Dumb.

This is a team that's Charelli +3 years. From a bottom 10 draft to playoff team in year one. Point progression in two straight years. Playoffs have been a rude awakening exposing lack of depth, questionable personnel in key positions (goaltending), and a development gap in terms of work rate, sacrifice, and consistency required to meet those attributes in Cup contending teams. The high end skill is in place. All the other elements are a work in progress that resides within the personnel to figure out. Playing a full 60 minutes is a mental thing. Thinking you can coast through games to turn it up as required is a false belief that gets undone in games like last night. Where's the character that we see with truly elite teams? It's still very much part of the mental development of this team's personnel which lags behind its top end, elite skill.

Tippett had an open wallet essentially when he was courted by Holland. He chose a three year deal when there is little doubt he would have been given the standard four year deal. This is a guy that walked away from a good low pressure gig in the desert. Maybe Tippett himself has set his own timeline and objective to build this team's foundation and walk away. Whatever the case this is still very much a roster work in progress with questions remaining in net, defense, and bottom six. Hell add 2RW as well with the lack of consistency there. No perfect coach exists but until this team completes the roster makeover and addresses the mental aspects to compete and elevate their effort level like Cup contenders do in the second season, this will continue to be a work in progress. It's all on the right trajectory but lots of work to be done. And that doesn't excuse coaching either.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Well we'll see. Bodreau yells like a fire hydrant too, lets see how it goes in Vancouver for him. Sutter yells and rants a lot too.

Not Safe For Work:

And this is likely toned down because he knows a camera crew is in there. And this is only for a game that's 1-0 too, lmao.

Yes but when Sutter yells can anyone understand him?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
My thoughts as well.

The game now is all about acquiring the right fit. Nobody is loyal to any org with money involved.

These coaches don't stop becoming good coaches when they are unemployed. It's just not a good fit with the personnel at the time.
I mean yeah, they don't stop being good, but as the game evolves and changes, if the coach doesn't adapt as well (something Tippett struggles with) then they are not a good coach for the current state of the league/current team.

That was something that Sutter did that surprised everyone so far. He adapted. He changed his style up a bit and the way he coached to fit the modern NHL and is finding success because of it. Why? Because he watched and learned.

If Tippett wants to be a good coach here or anywhere, he needs to learn what he is doing wrong, and learn how to adjust it. He doesn't do that, he is stuck in his ways and the team has literally only improved from McDavid and Draisaitls sheer will. Its not a coincidence that most players look good to start here and slowly get worse. If its not coaching, what is that?

Reactions: RegDunlop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What I see consistently is that opponents are playing us harder, and with more determination than they are playing other games. For instance Seattle players tried the wraparound, risking physical retribution, multiple times. Players were taking it in difficult areas and paying the price.

Theres no way that then Kings played Calgary the same way they played the Oilers. They also dressed Quick in our game and had dog food in net in Flames game. When teams are determined to bring it to our paint, and really pay the price, theres going to be some leaks. When teams are intent on battering our stars game after game theres going to be a price. I should make notes everytime Drai is pummelled in a game. Its like people watch these games and think our star players are superman impacted by nothing (not saying you)

The biggest thing last night was that McDrai were not on. In a differnt game and time Tippett has punched the cheat code and got a result.

But the biggest problem with our identity is we have vet players like Nuge and Kass that don't always bring their best. It establishes a sub identity of it being acceptable to take shortcuts, to have serial off games, to have slow weeks. I've long felt this to be a problem with the compete level of this club. Its critical that these two long term players here would model consistency.

In anycase you're posting this to me in a review of a game where we are missing Keith, Ceci, Koko, and Nurse just had his first game back. Also that we've been missing our starting goalie all season (who is a unreplaceable part of our breakout schemes)

I agree wholeheartedly that opponents bring their "A" game against the Oilers consistently because of McDrai and you'd figure that the Oilers would be prepared for that and be ready for the onslaught yet time and time again, they are the ones reacting instead of the ones dictating so it's a constant game of playing uphill. That just isn't a recipe for sustained success especially in the playoffs when the intensity is ramped up tenfold.

My issue is that I have yet to see pushback from this team with any level of consistently, I have yet to see this team lean on an opponent and dictate the terms at their pace. I just don't know what this team has to lean on when McDrai and/or the goaltending isn't pulling the game out of the fire.

The elite teams have a consistent message, an identity they can count on when things aren't going their way, other contributors when their elite guys aren't bringing their best. I just don't see the Oilers in that same vein, never have.

I think fans are frustrated because this was being billed as a Cup contender and Holland made moves that put a lot of the eggs in the basket to create a win now window yet what we've seen consistently this season even in a lot of the wins is the same issues that have plagued the Oilers in the McDrai era despite a very different supporting cast outside of a few. I'm not really seeing any improvements on the last two seasons when they were 1st round fodder. 16-7 is nice but it's masking a lot of the serious underlying issues that have been plaguing them this season, as even Tippett himself pointed out.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Any Edmonton sports fan would be right most of the time hating coaches. I mean for the most part for decades. Its a bit curious the same Sutter that is now the anointed hero in Calgary was locked out of the room in LA, by his mutinied players, and was fired from Calgary the previous time round. Sutter is a good coach. Not many better exist. But not many better than Tippett either. Threre's a lot worse coaches out there. you'd think we'd remember that type of thing, we've had some.

It's the same in any market. Team isn't performing as well as fans perceive they should be and they always want the coach and GM fired. The Duke basketball coach just said he now even gets hated on because when they win fans are upset they didn't win by enough points FFS.

Fans can often be crybabies who pout and want someone "to pay" when the team loses (Montreal is the shining example of this). Because of Twitter and social media dominating the fan landscape and not radio call in shows anymore, it is amplified by 1,000,000,000,000,000 times.

Tippett isn't a bad coach. But these slow starts are his problem to solve. I expect Holland will be trying to solve them as well, and not by firing the coach but making some roster altering moves with players like Turris, Perlini, Ryan, Kassian and Yamamoto.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree wholeheartedly that opponents bring their "A" game against the Oilers consistently because of McDrai and you'd figure that the Oilers would be prepared for that and be ready for the onslaught yet time and time again, they are the ones reacting instead of the ones dictating so it's a constant game of playing uphill. That just isn't a recipe for sustained success especially in the playoffs when the intensity is ramped up tenfold.

My issue is that I have yet to see pushback from this team with any level of consistently, I have yet to see this team lean on an opponent and dictate the terms at their pace. I just don't know what this team has to lean on when McDrai and/or the goaltending isn't pulling the game out of the fire.

The elite teams have a consistent message, an identity they can count on when things aren't going their way, other contributors when their elite guys aren't bringing their best. I just don't see the Oilers in that same vein, never have.

I think fans are frustrated because this was being billed as a Cup contender and Holland made moves that put a lot of the eggs in the basket to create a win now window yet what we've seen consistently this season even in a lot of the wins is the same issues that have plagued the Oilers in the McDrai era despite a very different supporting cast outside of a few. I'm not really seeing any improvements on the last two seasons when they were 1st round fodder. 16-7 is nice but it's masking a lot of the serious underlying issues that have been plaguing them this season, as even Tippett himself pointed out.
With a 82.5 mill cap this is our signed roster next year

Hyman - McDavid - Blank
Nuge - Draisaitl - Blank
Foegele - Blank - Blank
Shore - Ryan - Kassian
Blank

Nurse - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci
Koekkoek - Barrie
Blank

Smith
Skinner

That leaves us with 10.5 mill in capsapce for 6 players averaging out to 1.75 a player but has to include 2 top 6 wingers, 2/3 of a third line. And thats not even including if we try and find a starting goalie.

THIS year is our best chance at winning a cup for the foreseeable future, and thats hard to believe at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad