Post-Game Talk: Recast Tippett

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Ahh yes. Show the boys that they didn’t have energy and putting in an effort

Tippett “See your skating here Kassian, you aren’t putting in effort here”

Kassian “Yeah I see that coach, I was down energy wise”

Tippett “Okay now, you can see in the video how low energy you were, what should you of done”

Kassian “Had more energy?”

Tippett “Inspired answer, exactly right.”

Edit: Foegele “What about our offensive strategy should I have pass….”

Tippett “What? No, just work hard and not get scored on. Your job is to by time for McJesus and Dry to take a few breaths before I throw them back out there. “

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oilers are 2-3 years behind and the patient approach sadly won’t work. We are now in the “playoff team” bracket and it usually takes a few years of being there for the team to even be thought of as a contender. McDrai are at their peaks but the rest of the roster for the most part is playing like we are a rebuilding team.

It is the quandary of rebuilding for over a decade and getting virtually everything wrong. The elite forward group is in prime years and ready to win. The young d-corp is years behind and being plugged into a corp that had to be virtually completed rejigged this off season. Goaltending is a patch together pairing of an ancient warrior and an erratic thirty-something platoon guy whose game breaks down. Bottom six is a mash up of hope with a green banana like McLeod and reclamation hopes like Turris and Perlini who are soft finesse guys being recast as fourth liners.

This team is taking solid steps to win and able to beat anyone on a given day. But I don't see the personnel and work rate, sacrifice and buy-in commitment to do so over long playoff series. Tippett's recent comment was telling that more of this team should watch Hyman's game on-ice instead of looking to the iPad on the bench for answers. There's no magic to hard work and effort. It's there to see in Hyman who never takes a shortcut in how he plays and competes. It's also a firm lesson in how to succeed personally for the 99% of NHL players who don't start a game with McDavid or Draisaitl's elite abilities (who both also happen to be the hardest workers on this team as well).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As Oilers fans we've never seen a situation in cap era where we were the team opponents were gearing up to. Theres no comparison to it, or our knowledge of it. For the players there is no answering to that 82 games a season in a capped parity league. basically in games where the opponents want it more, and are more on, you lose some of those games. The Oilers are not a juggernaut capable of withstanding swimming against the tide always. They do it plenty.

As to the bolded I think in many games this year the Oilers have exhibited improved resilience, bounce back. Although I agree with you its not necessarily coming from the other players. I mean its pretty simple. This is a list of the Oilers skaters that have moved game results and have been the difference in games: McD, Drai, Nurse, Hyman. Its credit to Hyman he's actually climbed on that list. A lot of players here never really have. its the problem. But Holland extended multiple of those players so that they can continue to be well paid hangers on.

Its still a lineup problem to me. We do need more of the players pushing back and grabbing results and being the guy on different games. Better teams have guys that rise up. We don't have that aspect very much here. Somehow Calgary got a 17 goal Mangiopane all of a sudden. Its not specifically coaching based. Its a guy rising to occasion. Meanwhile we got a Yama in the exact same spot scoring 5 and people figure this is good. We got Benson who hasn't scored a goal yet and has actually had two threads this season specifically on him. As if he's even moving the dial.

i dunno, its a weird fanbase always picking faves and landing on themes. Usually its fire coach, fire goalie. We've had a lot.

The thing is, this isn't a case of "it's just one of those games in a season long marathon". No team is going to give full effort every game, every team is going to have some stinkers. The problem I see with the Oilers is a season long issue of not being prepared to play and being forced to show that resolve you speak of time and time again (resolve which is largely on the back of two players and the PP) but that's just not a recipe for success in the long run. This is a season long symptom, not just a case of a few games here and there.

Also, when have the Oilers ever gotten the most out of their players? Mangiapane, prime example. When have the Oilers ever had a Mangiapane? A late round pick that became a resounding success story. That's just one player. There are tons of teams that have success stories like that yet the Oilers never find these diamonds in the rough, Hell, they have a devil of a time getting top 6 production from their 1st rounders like Yamamoto for instance.

I don't know, I'm just sick of watching the same rerun year after year despite the shuffling of coaches and players.
In the McDrai era, it's McDrai and a bunch of misfits. The only players worth a damn have been 1st overalls or other high 1st round picks. No bargain bin success stories, no late round or even 2nd round pick success stories. If anything, support players regress here going on for years now. Frustrating to see this play out the same way again this season after some hope early with Foegele-Ryan. These guys are even worse than the Haas-Nygards-Khairas of the world of the last few seasons. How is this even possible? Guys who were successful elsewhere but absolutely stink here. Strome is another one and I can go on and on. Frustrating.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The thing is, this isn't a case of "it's just one of those games in a season long marathon". No team is going to give full effort every game, every team is going to have some stinkers. The problem I see with the Oilers is a season long issue of not being prepared to play and being forced to show that resolve you speak of time and time again (resolve which is largely on the back of two players and the PP) but that's just not a recipe for success in the long run. This is a season long symptom, not just a case of a few games here and there.

Also, when have the Oilers ever gotten the most out of their players? Mangiapane, prime example. When have the Oilers ever had a Mangiapane? A late round pick that became a resounding success story. That's just one player. There are tons of teams that have success stories like that yet the Oilers never find these diamonds in the rough, Hell, they have a devil of a time getting top 6 production from their 1st rounders like Yamamoto for instance.

I don't know, I'm just sick of watching the same rerun year after year despite the shuffling of coaches and players.
In the McDrai era, it's McDrai and a bunch of misfits. The only players worth a damn have been 1st overalls or other high 1st round picks. No bargain bin success stories, no late round or even 2nd round pick success stories. If anything, support players regress here going on for years now. Frustrating to see this play out the same way again this season after some hope early with Foegele-Ryan. These guys are even worse than the Haas-Nygards-Khairas of the world of the last few seasons. How is this even possible? Guys who were successful elsewhere but absolutely stink here. Strome is another one and I can go on and on. Frustrating.

To be completely forthright a lot of the guys are content to sit back and wait for McDrai.

Is that Tippett’s fault? Partly. He’s basically allowed it to continue.

It’s why they need someone who won’t let them off the hook.

Sutter has Calgary playing solid hockey (believe me I hate saying that). Is he warm and cuddly? No. If you take a day off with him, you’ll hear about it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Funny I was thinking that giving Benson a twirl on the top line might be an idea.

Not sure he has the wheels to keep up with McDavid but he cant be worse than Kahun.

4th line Scevior, Shore (he will be back soon) and Kassian. Ryan can sit for the rest of the season IMO. Kassian has tried LW and he looks awful on that side, cant take any rims up the wall on that side. He is locked into RW from what I have seen and heard from Tip. Scevior and Shore can play any position so they become valuable in that sense because of their flexibiltiy.

Kahun scored 9EV goals here in 45 GP and was even dropped to bottomsix here multiple games. Benson has zero goals his whole NHL career over 30 games. Benson hasn't even resembled an NHL player at any time here. Yeah, I'm confident Benson could be worse than Kahun who could at least shoot a puck and score some goals.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kahun scored 9EV goals here in 45 GP and was even dropped to bottomsix here multiple games. Benson has zero goals his whole NHL career over 30 games. Benson hasn't even resembled an NHL player at any time here. Yeah, I'm confident Benson could be worse than Kahun who could at least shoot a puck and score some goals.
Weird how nobody signed him in the offseason.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

North just answered your post in the same way I would. We have a lot of posers in the roster that are pretenders. That aren't even interested in winning or moving the dial and that just won't rise up. Holland extended several of them in a determination of status quo is the way forward. Is that working?

I agree that its frustrating. I'm an Oilers fan, lol. heh

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006

Tippett “Okay now, you can see in the video how low energy you were, what should you of done”

Tippett “What? No, just work hard and not get scored on. Your job is to by time for McJesus and Dry to take a few breaths before I throw them back out there. “

Tippet probably showed this on loop for an hour:
swarm.gif

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He signed with Bern. 3yr deal. NHL isn't ideal for a lot of players. But he did score goals here at least. Unlike Benson.

I appreciate Kahun. But he’s not a bottom 6 player. He scored goals on Draisaitl’s wing

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
To be completely forthright a lot of the guys are content to sit back and wait for McDrai.

Is that Tippett’s fault? Partly. He’s basically allowed it to continue.

It’s why they need someone who won’t let them off the hook.

Sutter has Calgary playing solid hockey (believe me I hate saying that). Is he warm and cuddly? No. If you take a day off with him, you’ll hear about it.

Exactly to the bolded.

I even made mention of this several weeks ago even when they were winning and have touched on it since on numerous occasions that this just doesn't feel like a TEAM.

It feels like a group of guys that just float around waiting for McDrai to create magic and it just seems like two teams.
Team McDrai with those two and whoever their linemates are (I'd probably throw Nurse and Smith in there) then Team Everybody Else who seems disconnected from Team McDrai.
With all due respect to those guys ability on the ice, I don't know if they are the guys to drag their teammates into the fight with them, make them feel like a part of the group. Drai is starting to get a sense of that as he matures but I kind of feel that McDavid is a little disconnected from the "others" and just sort of goes about his business of being a great individual hockey player. Not really blaming McDavid for that because he is what he is but I don't get a real leadership vibe from him.
Smith, on the other hand, seems very inclusive with the others on the team and I've gotta think that they miss some of that leadership now.

In any event, this isn't to excuse the supporting cast over the years for not bringing it. I just feel like it's a not a very welcoming team atmosphere and guys struggle partly due to that.
Also, the distribution of minutes is so heavily slanted to the top guys that it's hard for any of the support guys to build momentum when they see the ice so infrequently.
I don't know, it's hard to explain but it's a team that consistently lacks cohesiveness for whatever reason and it's one of the biggest things holding them back IMO.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
What really worries me about all of this is how poorly the team is trending in terms of actually developing into a contender. For me I don’t want to be alarmist but the window is actually starting to close, not open. Draisaitl has three seasons left after this in the best contract in hockey. That means two seasons from now you start to wonder, will he stay, does he walk in free agency, do you need to trade him to at least get something? If this team doesn’t at least flirt with the Stanley Cup finals in the two seasons after this you have a huge problem. And is there anyone that thinks this group of players, with this coach and this management group is trending in that direction?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Exactly to the bolded.

I even made mention of this several weeks ago even when they were winning and have touched on it since on numerous occasions that this just doesn't feel like a TEAM.

It feels like a group of guys that just float around waiting for McDrai to create magic and it just seems like two teams.
Team McDrai with those two and whoever their linemates are (I'd probably throw Nurse and Smith in there) then Team Everybody Else who seems disconnected from Team McDrai.
With all due respect to those guys ability on the ice, I don't know if they are the guys to drag their teammates into the fight with them, make them feel like a part of the group. Drai is starting to get a sense of that as he matures but I kind of feel that McDavid is a little disconnected from the "others" and just sort of goes about his business of being a great individual hockey player. Not really blaming McDavid for that because he is what he is but I don't get a real leadership vibe from him.
Smith, on the other hand, seems very inclusive with the others on the team and I've gotta think that they miss some of that leadership now.

In any event, this isn't to excuse the supporting cast over the years for not bringing it. I just feel like it's a not a very welcoming team atmosphere and guys struggle partly due to that.
Also, the distribution of minutes is so heavily slanted to the top guys that it's hard for any of the support guys to build momentum when they see the ice so infrequently.
I don't know, it's hard to explain but it's a team that consistently lacks cohesiveness for whatever reason and it's one of the biggest things holding them back IMO.

Ultimately I think there are a few issues. Holland has picked up players he wants (Hyman and Foegele) and provided Tippett with players (Turris, Shore, etc) he wants.

Now in theory that’s great but in practice a lot of what Tippett likes is chaff so you have a fourth line you can’t trust.

Also, I think Tippett knows how to coach teams with no real superstar so they had to rely on work ethic. He doesn’t have any clue how to coach a team with two elite players.

Reactions: Oil53 and Oilhawks

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
My apologies if this has been posted before. I just read the oilers bottom 6 last year had scored 11 GF 22 GA after 23 games. This year 9GF and 26GA.

Jesus. Knew it was horrendous. Didn't know it was this horrendous.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Kahun was largely a perimeter player but he is better than Benson of that I have no doubt.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It is the quandary of rebuilding for over a decade and getting virtually everything wrong. The elite forward group is in prime years and ready to win. The young d-corp is years behind and being plugged into a corp that had to be virtually completed rejigged this off season. Goaltending is a patch together pairing of an ancient warrior and an erratic thirty-something platoon guy whose game breaks down. Bottom six is a mash up of hope with a green banana like McLeod and reclamation hopes like Turris and Perlini who are soft finesse guys being recast as fourth liners.

This team is taking solid steps to win and able to beat anyone on a given day. But I don't see the personnel and work rate, sacrifice and buy-in commitment to do so over long playoff series. Tippett's recent comment was telling that more of this team should watch Hyman's game on-ice instead of looking to the iPad on the bench for answers. There's no magic to hard work and effort. It's there to see in Hyman who never takes a shortcut in how he plays and competes. It's also a firm lesson in how to succeed personally for the 99% of NHL players who don't start a game with McDavid or Draisaitl's elite abilities (who both also happen to be the hardest workers on this team as well).
Im just gonna start quoting your posts and following up with a "Yeah! What he said".

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Jesus. Knew it was horrendous. Didn't know it was this horrendous.

It's even more horrendous than you know.

In the 16-17 season, the bottom six allowed 31 goals - total - all year long. This year they've allowed 26 against in 23 games. They're trending to allow three times as many goals against this year as the last time they won a playoff round

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Oilers missed theboat. They should have been setting themselves up for contender status going in to McDavids 4th season. Instead well here we are

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Foegele: But what if they need more than a few--

Tippett: *pulls mask down and starts swearing*

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's even more horrendous than you know.

In the 16-17 season, the bottom six allowed 31 goals - total - all year long. This year they've allowed 26 against in 23 games. They're trending to allow three times as many goals against this year as the last time they won a playoff round

Does make you wonder because the bottom 6 that year was what?

Pouliot Letestu Kassian
Slepyshev Caggiula (?) Pitlick (?)
Hendricks

I know they added Desharnais but that was at the trade deadine, who was even playing 4C before that? I think it was Caggiula some times.

And what about this bottom 6 is so magical? Letestu had a really good year but still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad