Proposal: Rebuilding Edmonton

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree with this. You can just tell McD wants out and I don't blame him.

Thing is, with his cap hit, the only thing the Oilers would get is futures and cap dumps. Nobody is destroying their team for that cap hit no matter what anybody thinks.

A couple good prospects, a couple high draft picks, and cap dumps to offset the cost.

Hawks offer
Anisimov
Seabrook
Beaudin
Kurashev
Mitchell
This year's first which should be lottery
and next years first which could be lottery

Nothing more, nothing less

The Hawks offer a pile of horse shit. Just say that. Could have saved yourself a lot of typing.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
If the Oilers do not make the playoffs this year and do not win a draft lottery I'd seriously consider trading the 1st round pick down twice on draft day. At the end of it, you will probably have a pick that started in the ~10 range and turn it into picks like #20, 2x 2nds, 1 3rd. You guys just need help and 1 player probably won't change that for you.
For the leafs trading down 2x in the 2015 draft worked out so we traded away #24 and then #29 later to receive #34 #61 and #68 which turned into Dermott, Bracco, and Nielsen. Dermott is a part of our current and future core and Bracco may turn out to be really solid one day. I'd go a similar route if I was Edmonton.
Either that or package the pick with a bad contract for lesser picks.
Edit: We drafted Dzierkals at #68, Neilsen was at #65 which we owned.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Friedman just mentioned in his 31 thoughts, That Edmonton has strong interst in AA. Not sure what Holland would want maybe something like Edmonton's 2019 2nd+Bear/Jones as a starter. Bouchard isn't happening but AA with McDavid and look out.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If the Oilers do not make the playoffs this year and do not win a draft lottery I'd seriously consider trading the 1st round pick down twice on draft day. At the end of it, you will probably have a pick that started in the ~10 range and turn it into picks like #20, 2x 2nds, 1 3rd. You guys just need help and 1 player probably won't change that for you.
For the leafs trading down 2x in the 2015 draft worked out so we traded away #24 and then #29 later to receive #34 #61 and #68 which turned into Dermott, Bracco, and Nielsen. Dermott is a part of our current and future core and Bracco may turn out to be really solid one day. I'd go a similar route if I was Edmonton.
Either that or package the pick with a bad contract for lesser picks.

Trading the pick is likely a serious option. I would imagine that they would want a young player for it though, rather than a pick. Like the Jordan Staal trade to Carolina when that happened. The issue with trading down for picks is that you have to trust the drafting and development. I'm not sure if our new GM will do that. I wouldn't be shocked to see our new GM trade any pick he has with value at the draft this year, to add to the current roster and remove some of the dead weight.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Friedman just mentioned in his 31 thoughts, That Edmonton has strong interst in AA. Not sure what Holland would want maybe something like Edmonton's 2019 2nd+Bear/Jones as a starter. Bouchard isn't happening but AA with McDavid and look out.

I can't see Jones happening, he's going to replace some of the overpaid crap that Chiarelli left on our bottom pair next season. Bear and the 2nd are both available though.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Trading the pick is likely a serious option. I would imagine that they would want a young player for it though, rather than a pick. Like the Jordan Staal trade to Carolina when that happened. The issue with trading down for picks is that you have to trust the drafting and development. I'm not sure if our new GM will do that. I wouldn't be shocked to see our new GM trade any pick he has with value at the draft this year, to add to the current roster and remove some of the dead weight.
Just using recent examples there hasn't been too many draft day deals where a team trades a top pick for a player that has worked out. The last time I remember it working was for Corey Schneider before he forgot how to be a goalie. I just think that Edmonton has to go the draft and develop route. It's just simply how you build the best teams. Pick some smart puck moving d-men and some skilled wingers and allow them to develop into the pieces you need.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just using recent examples there hasn't been too many draft day deals where a team trades a top pick for a player that has worked out. The last time I remember it working was for Corey Schneider before he forgot how to be a goalie. I just think that Edmonton has to go the draft and develop route. It's just simply how you build the best teams. Pick some smart puck moving d-men and some skilled wingers and allow them to develop into the pieces you need.

Every team needs to draft and develop well to be successful. It's not that simple when your drafting and developing aren't good though, ha ha.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Lucic's contract is pretty much buyout proof as far as the cap is concerned. . But what they can do is look for opportunities to trade real dollars for other team's team's cap space. Moving Lucic will require some creativity which Chia did not have.
Lucic + 1 st. to any team with cap room for a 3/4 forth rd. pick. The problem is Lucic no trade clause. Frees up cap room for Oilers

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Every team needs to draft and develop well to be successful. It's not that simple when your drafting and developing aren't good though, ha ha.
I feel the pain. 2004-2013 the only notable forwards we drafted were Kadri, Gauthier, Leivo, Johnsson, and Brown. Easy to see why we were so bad for so long. Although more tickets does give you a better shot at the lottery just sayin!

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The Hawks offer a pile of horse ****. Just say that. Could have saved yourself a lot of typing.
McDavids contract is a pile of horse shit.

Look at Chias resume of over paying players who have done nothing for their team.

McDavids contract is awful considering he hasnt brought a Cup anywhere near Edmonton and probably never will. He has no incentive to, he's getting paid.

Same with Drai, the checks clear.

I won't even mention the goalie with the bloated contract who hasn't even played a full season.

Face facts- nobody is going to touch McDavids contract and if he requests a trade, which nobody would blame him to, his value drops off even more.

If anybody thinks McDavids value is similar to picking players off a team like choosing donuts at the store, they are in for a rude awakening. He had that value at one time, but his contract stops any such fantasy.

If Oilers pundits think they can get Matthews and Marner for McDavid, that's just foolish. The only GM who helped other teams get better thru a trade just got fired, nobody else is that stupid.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
McDavids contract is a pile of horse ****.

Look at Chias resume of over paying players who have done nothing for their team.

McDavids contract is awful considering he hasnt brought a Cup anywhere near Edmonton and probably never will. He has no incentive to, he's getting paid.

I won't even mention the goalie with the bloated contract who hasn't even played a full season.

Face facts- nobody is going to touch McDavids contract and if he requests a trade, which nobody would blame him to, his value drops off even more.

If anybody thinks McDavids value is similar to picking players off a team like choosing donuts at the store, they are in for a rude awakening. He had that value at one time, but his contract stops any such fantasy.

If Oilers pundits think they can get Matthews and Marner for McDavid, that's just foolish. The only GM who helped other teams get better thru a trade just got fired, nobody else is that stupid.

Cool. We'll keep McDavid then.

Thanks for coming out. :thumbu:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Chia got fired. You’re not dealing with him anymore, and on his worst day he wouldn’t have accepted that half-chewed pile of baby vomit for McDavid.

You want to know what it would “realistically” cost a bottom feeder like Chicago?

Toews at 50%, Debrincat, Boqvist, Kahun, and your next two firsts for McDavid and Lucic. Don’t like it? Thanks for coming out. Exit stage left.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Cool. We'll keep McDavid then.

Thanks for coming out. :thumbu:
Hopefully he doesn't request a trade.

By the looks and sound of it, he's had it with that train wreck. He's looking like Revenge of the Sith Anakin and the Oilers have the high ground.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Note to self, only cup winners should get paid.

Give your head a shake. Every GM would want McDavid.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Chia got fired. You’re not dealing with him anymore, and on his worst day he wouldn’t have accepted that half-chewed pile of baby vomit for McDavid.

You want to know what it would “realistically” cost a bottom feeder like Chicago?

Toews at 50%, Debrincat, Boqvist, Kahun, and your next two firsts for McDavid and Lucic. Don’t like it? Thanks for coming out. Exit stage left.
Lol Chia gave value for Brandon Manning. There's nothing that makes me think he wouldn't have entertained the offer. It's a shame he isn't in charge, for the good of the NHL, at least.

As for your offer- sold.

This is why HF members would be the worst GMs. Somebody makes and offer, and then counter with something feasible that would still make the Hawks a better team moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00