Proposal: Rebuilding Edmonton

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Jesus these trades are horrific!!

EDM's not moving MCD, Drai, Nuge, Nurse, Klef, or Bouch, rest are available.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl needs to be flipped for a package of young players with potential. That's where you have to start. Flip Nugent-Hopkins while you are at it. Draisaitl can get a fantastic return, but it can't be star for star. You have to think 2 or 3 years out to get out of this hell.

This is exactly, to the letter, what they shouldn’t do.

What they need to do is offload, buy out, retain on, Robidas island, whatever else they need to do with the vast amount of garbage on this roster.

McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH/Klefbom/Nurse is your core. Build around those guys. It would hurt, but they guy I think they should be dealing is Larsson. He’s really good but struggles without a partner better than he is and I think he needs out of the city where his dad died. Give the guy a fresh start and get some solid assets - a mix of current help and futures. Get rid of the garbage. Find a home for Benning, find a home for Kassian. Those guys aren’t horrible but they can be replaced much cheaper.

Keep Chiasson. The guy gets it and always brings an honest effort. Same with Khaira. He’s not a top six player and likely never will be, but again, always brings an effort and gets it.

Reactions: TFHockey

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
First off, I am going to go by the adage, you can not have your cake and eat it too.

Edmonton (Chia) have put them in a very difficult, and put them hard to the cap, with very little assets to show for their money spent...……….

Now, the first thing that should be said, it that the last 4 months of the year, will not be pretty and will so deliberately, to gain the best position we can in the up and coming draft. This draft is important for their future. As of this moment, they sit in the 24 spot in the NHL, which would give them the 8 OA pick. Let's stop there for a minute and start changing the team makeup...……

No one is going to like my proposal, but it is the frame work for the rebuild, and may need some adjustment in terms of what needs to be added by one team or the other, but I think it works, long term. Get your guns ready.

Edmonton trades Milan Lucic and Leon Draisaitl to Carolina for Dougie Hamilton + (I don't know what the plus is) This is for the purpose of reducing cap. The net gain in cap is 8, 750,000 Million

Edmonton now limps through the remaining part of the season, and for practical purpose, wins the 5th OA pick in the 2019 Draft, also the 36 OA, and the 67 OA pick

Their choices at Number 5 at this time will be one of Dach, Cozens, Boldy, Broberg or Byram

The line up will be miserable for the remainder of 2018 - 2019 season

Chiasson...………..McDavid...………...Puljujarvi
Khaira……………….RNH...……………...Yamamoto
Spooner...………….Brodziak…………...Reider
Rattie………………..Cave...……………….Kassian……....Forward Cap 30 Million

Nurse...…………...Hamilton 9m
Klefbom….……….Larsson 8.3
Sekera…………….Benning 7.5
Gravel...………………………………….....Defensive Cap 25.5 Million

Koskinen
Talbot*...……………………………….Goalie Cap...…….6.5 Million

2019 -2020 Cap hit before UFA Signings...…………………………………..62 Million
2019 -2020 NHL Cap...…………………………………………………….………...83 Million
Edmonton Oilers 2019 - 2020 Cap room...…..21 Million*

With the re-signing of Koskinen trade Talbot and sign backup for 2.0 Million
If Sekera is forced to retire due to injury...……………...good you have more cap
Traded........Russell, Manning and Petrovic for picks

Sign RW ...………….....Mark Stone(26) for 10 Million
Sign RW/LW...……....Jeff Skinner(26) for 8 Million
Remaining Cap after main UFA signing...…... 3 Million
Cap saved by demoting Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to minors...………..2 Million
Cap saved signing Brock Nelson and demoting another weak player..1 Million
Total Unused Cap...…………………………………..6 Million

Sign LW/C...…………...Brock Nelson(26) for 6 Million

Move week players as needed...………...build lineup as needed

But I think that is a better team, having lost no futures, and having a much better line up
I think Stone is an easy replacement to Draisaitl……..Sorry about him!

Your 2019 -2020 Line up

Nelson...…………...McDavid...…………..Stone
Khaira……………….RNH...………………..Skinner
Reider……………….Brodziak……………..Chiasson
Rattie………………..Cave...………………...Kassian

Nurse...…………...Hamilton
Klefbom….……….Larsson
Sekera…………….Benning
Gravel

Koskinen
2 million back up????

It is a better team...……………………..

Picks
Edmonton 1st...…….Byram
Edmonton 2nd...…..Albin Gwene
Buffalo 2nd ………….Defensemen
Edmonton 3rd...…...Goalie

Hey sue me, I am a Canuck fan...…………...just feel sorry for the fans!

Can’t they just buy out the Lucic contract? If not just trade him to a team with lots of cap room and add a 1st round pick. I would do that before giving up your second best player.

Reactions: zcaptain

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
The first thing you need to do is to start putting out feelers on what McDavid will fetch because I have no doubt after this seasons fiascos he is going to ask for a trade in the off season. He can mumble his way through the media but from his body language and the way he looks you can tell he is beyond tired of Edmonton.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I'd put McDavid out there and say "Give us 2-3 NHL ready young players, and your top 10 prospects".

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
As much as I love prospects, the Oilers simply *CANNOT* do another rebuild !!! They've been rebuilding since the intentional tank of 09/10 so they could get one of Hall/Seguin and have flopped! But I don't have an answer to how they can win sooner? Trades and/or UFA'S? :dunno:

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
So, just to clarify...…

I said Lucic and Draisaitl for Hamilton +...…..I just did not know what the plus was...……

I get you guys all love Draisaitl

But what is the plus that makes the trade work? From both sides?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So, just to clarify...…

I said Lucic and Draisaitl for Hamilton +...…..I just did not know what the plus was...……

I get you guys all love Draisaitl

But what is the plus that makes the trade work? From both sides?
Lucid is such a negative, I’m not sure I’d do it as is. Pretty sure our owner wouldn’t.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Can’t they just buy out the Lucic contract? If not just trade him to a team with lots of cap room and add a 1st round pick. I would do that before giving up your second best player.
Lucic's contract is pretty much buyout proof as far as the cap is concerned. . But what they can do is look for opportunities to trade real dollars for other team's team's cap space. Moving Lucic will require some creativity which Chia did not have.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
-Draisaitl, Bouchard + 2nd for Ekblad, Borgstrom + 1st

-Nurse + Sekera for Eriksson, Goldobin + Juolevi

-After Eriksson’s signing bonus, Eriksson + Oilers 1st(lottery protected) for Dzingel

-Nuge for Pesce + Ferland

-Larsson, Khaira + Panthers 1st for Kadri + Liljegren

Dzingel-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Ferland-Kadri-Goldobin
Lucic-Borgstrom-Yamamoto

Klefbom-Ekblad
Jones-Pesce
Russell-Liljegren(Juolevi eventually replacing Russell)

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Why wouldn't Edmonton consider moving RNH? He seems to be the most moveable asset with value in your top 6.

I would entertain RNH for one Jared Spurgeon as a base with pluses as needed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lucic's contract is pretty much buyout proof as far as the cap is concerned. . But what they can do is look for opportunities to trade real dollars for other team's team's cap space. Moving Lucic will require some creativity which Chia did not have.
Even in real cash after the July 1 SB, he is still owed $7.5 million in salary plus another $8.5 in SB. Total of $16 million for 4 years. Still pricey.

The couple of low spending teams can get someone like Backes for $5 million over 2 years. Saves them $11 million in cash and off the books 2 years earlier.

That is what Edmonton is competing with if they are trying to unload him.

And this year alone 18 teams had cap hits of $75 million or more. Another 8 were between $70-$75 million.

Depending on how much this RFA crop gets, teams may need to save a bit more cap space for their other rfa guys.

Plus, Lucic would have to waive his nmc when he arrives at a new team. Can’t see any team wanting to keep his trade protection clauses with the ED in 2021. Teams don’t have to honour trade protection clauses but generally when someone waived it they do so only if the new team honours them and the new team does. With Lucic I don’t think teams would do that. But for Lucic, no protection could mean AHL. That’s the flip side for him.

Honestly, the new leadership team has to al be on the same page about how to clear cap space and the time frame in which they feel that they can accomplish it in. Are they attaching picks to them or are they willing to do a time of leg work and make multiple deals to cut down the bad contracts. Try to save 25% on trade one then trade that new piece for another 30% cap savings. But by bit then maybe you end up freeing up $3-4 million and get guys who can fill a need.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why wouldn't Edmonton consider moving RNH? He seems to be the most moveable asset with value in your top 6.

I would entertain RNH for one Jared Spurgeon as a base with pluses as needed.
Because he is THE ONLY forward producing away from McDavid. Scoring depth is the biggest problem on the team

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Ultimately, I am a hockey fan.... I love my Canucks, period
But.....I love a good hockey game
Doesn't matter if it is Calgary and Edmonton
or
Winnipeg and Toronto
so
My suggestion was done with no agenda...…

I even have friends that are Edmonton fan's, and I even talk to them...lol

So I suggest

Draisaitl and Lucic for Hamilton +
is it
Draisaitl and Lucic for Hamilton and a 1st
or is it
Draisaitl and Lucic for Hamilton and Jake Bean

or is it something entirely different

But the problem has always been IMO
that Edmonton always has tried to build the 80's Dynasty
instead of building the present team

You guys need a purge...…...get every Oiler from the past out of there
You guys need to build as I suggested, even if you don't like my idea
You still can not make cheese from water

Nicholson even said "we are not going to move our young players" "our core"
To me, he is telling you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear
But what else do you have to move...….????
You need to move cap

I wish you guys luck!

Reactions: LDF

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
in what world. You should put down the xbox controller and try again. This isn't NHL 2018. Lucic has negative value. Hamilton for Draisaitl straight across is pretty close value. Drai is still making too much money

You were spot on until you said Draisaitl and Hamilton are close in value lmfaoooo

Drai >>> Hamilton

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Ultimately, I am a hockey fan.... I love my Canucks, period
But.....I love a good hockey game
Doesn't matter if it is Calgary and Edmonton
or
Winnipeg and Toronto
so
My suggestion was done with no agenda...…

I even have friends that are Edmonton fan's, and I even talk to them...lol

So I suggest

Draisaitl and Lucic for Hamilton +
is it
Draisaitl and Lucic for Hamilton and a 1st
or is it
Draisaitl and Lucic for Hamilton and Jake Bean

or is it something entirely different

But the problem has always been IMO
that Edmonton always has tried to build the 80's Dynasty
instead of building the present team

You guys need a purge...…...get every Oiler from the past out of there
You guys need to build as I suggested, even if you don't like my idea
You still can not make cheese from water

Nicholson even said "we are not going to move our young players" "our core"
To me, he is telling you what you want to hear, not what you need to hear
But what else do you have to move...….????
You need to move cap

I wish you guys luck!
Hamilton is even close to the starting point for Drai. With or without a Lucic attached.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
-Draisaitl, Bouchard + 2nd for Ekblad, Borgstrom + 1st

-Nurse + Sekera for Eriksson, Goldobin + Juolevi

-After Eriksson’s signing bonus, Eriksson + Oilers 1st(lottery protected) for Dzingel

-Nuge for Pesce + Ferland

-Larsson, Khaira + Panthers 1st for Kadri + Liljegren

Dzingel-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Ferland-Kadri-Goldobin
Lucic-Borgstrom-Yamamoto

Klefbom-Ekblad
Jones-Pesce
Russell-Liljegren(Juolevi eventually replacing Russell)
First deal - f*** no. Drai > Ekblad and Bouchard >> Borgstrom

Second one is just f***ing awful. No f***ing way

The Dzingel one - why would Ottawa take on Erickson?

The last 2 - no

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Get Pool in the AHL now.
Tell Sekera to retire.
Move all the FA's that you can and let the rest walk.
Try and move Spooner and Manning without giving up much.

I would challenge Lucic. You Milan, you have your money, do you have pride to be a better player? See if he can get a personal trainer to make Lucic a middle 6 forward next year or he is going to sit in the pressbox. Give him next year.

Keep the 1st and Draisaitl.
See what the market is for RNH and Nurse.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
The first thing you need to do is to start putting out feelers on what McDavid will fetch because I have no doubt after this seasons fiascos he is going to ask for a trade in the off season. He can mumble his way through the media but from his body language and the way he looks you can tell he is beyond tired of Edmonton.
I agree with this. You can just tell McD wants out and I don't blame him.

Thing is, with his cap hit, the only thing the Oilers would get is futures and cap dumps. Nobody is destroying their team for that cap hit no matter what anybody thinks.

A couple good prospects, a couple high draft picks, and cap dumps to offset the cost.

Hawks offer
Anisimov
Seabrook
Beaudin
Kurashev
Mitchell
This year's first which should be lottery
and next years first which could be lottery

Nothing more, nothing less

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Lol at some of these proposals. Ekblad is Terribly overrated, Nowhere near Drai's value.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Hey, how do we fix our team weaknesses? We're pretty strong at the top, but have no middle six forwards, how do we fix that? Apparently by trading one of the best players in the world and our 2nd line C for futures.

We don't need to trade Nuge. We don't need to trade Draisaitl. We would be beyond stupid to do either. What we need to do is trade Benning, Talbot, Manning, Reider, Petrovic, Kassian and Spooner (with retention or a sweetener likely). That's 17 million in cap space right there, and we aren't losing anyone that we can't replace with a guy like Chiasson next year. That's at least 8 million in cap space AFTER each of those guys is replaced. That's either another top line winger, or two decent middle six wingers that we can then go after. Still doesn't fix the problem completely of course, but it's a start, and its shouldn't be that hard to move 5 of those 7 guys (Manning and Spooner will be tough).

Yep. Good luck dumping your trash on someone else. And if you manage to? You now get to fill that slot with ultra expensive UFAs like Lucic. Good job. You think like Chia.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Call me crazy but id trade mcdavid for a boatload. I'd give rangers a call and they will offer the moon for him . Oilers would quickly be rebuilt. I'd start with kratzov chytl and zibnajad . You guys fill in the other blanks.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I agree with this. You can just tell McD wants out and I don't blame him.

Thing is, with his cap hit, the only thing the Oilers would get is futures and cap dumps. Nobody is destroying their team for that cap hit no matter what anybody thinks.

A couple good prospects, a couple high draft picks, and cap dumps to offset the cost.

Hawks offer
Anisimov
Seabrook
Beaudin
Kurashev
Mitchell
This year's first which should be lottery
and next years first which could be lottery

Nothing more, nothing less

There is no way that lands McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events