Proposal: Rebuilding Edmonton

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for the oilers. This will have to be a slow rebuild. No real good prospects. No real trade chips and no cap space.
It sucks, but patience will be required. They are at least 2 years away from being competitive.... if they draft well.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Call me crazy but id trade mcdavid for a boatload. I'd give rangers a call and they will offer the moon for him . Oilers would quickly be rebuilt. I'd start with kratzov chytl and zibnajad . You guys fill in the other blanks.
I was thinking the Flyers could be a fit. Patrick+Konecny+Ghost+Voracek (cap)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I would first rebuild the scouting staff hiring guys from best scouting organizations.

Then trade McDavid for 4x 1sts + some package of players.

That would drop Oilers back to bottom, but those double firsts (and own picks high again) would rise the team finally from the bottom, with good drafting. And I mean good drafting, not like former Oilers drafting.

That's the only way.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
So apparently Koskinen ‘s contract was approved by the Oiler’s management. That means the management team is as bad as Chia!

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
You were spot on until you said Draisaitl and Hamilton are close in value lmfaoooo

Drai >>> Hamilton
Coming front a fan of the team that traded Hall for Larsson. Drai’s over payment of a contract puts him on par with Hamilton, who is much better than Larsson

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
None of this makes any sense.
  • Edmonton isn't trading for Hamilton. He's gone from Boston to Calgary to Carolina in virtually no time at all.
  • Nobody is taking Manning for picks unless Edmonton is coughing up the picks and I don't see that happening.
  • Sekera isn't retiring. He's still got 2 years left on his contract after this one. You can't throw a player onto LTIR for the rest of his contract unless he admits that he's got some condition that prevents him from playing well and agrees to sit out until it gets better. (never) A doctor also has to agree to it.
  • Why the hell would Lucic want to go to Carolina? And why the hell would Carolina take on all that cap? Hamilton is making less than 6M. Lucic is making 6M and Drai is making even more than that. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've ever seen a trade in the NHL when 1 team ended up taking on this much salary. Totally brutal for both teams since Edmonton is so thin up front.
  • In some magic land where Edmonton can get the UFAs they want to sign for them all in 1 year is totally unrealistic.
  • Edmonton has had a long enough history with injury prone players and while Skinner has been healthy past few years I think Edmonton would be smart enough to stay away from him.
  • Russell has a NMC and gets to choose a 10 team trade list this off-season (he can just choose the 10 teams least likely to want him if he doesn't want to be traded) and 15 team trade list the season after that. He's the best shot blocker in the world and consistently works his ass off for us. He's worth 4M which is more than we can say for a lot of free agents we've signed over the years. He'll be 33 at the end of his contract, which sounds great.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Sees Draisaitl, stops reading.

The cap issues in Edmonton are not impossible to overcome, even if we can't move Lucic. If we can manage to dump Manning, Benning, and Spooner (will be tough) for nothing, or for cheaper depth options, and we let Talbot and Petrovic walk as free agents (or Petro signs at a more reasonable dollar figure less than 1.5 million), then we clear enough space to bring in a couple of middle six forwards to help things out. If Sekera has to retire because of his injuries, we're sitting even better.

Nobody is doing the Oilers a favor and taking that crap (Benning, Sponner and Manning) without incentive, none of those 3 are NHL players right now.

Edmonton has to start spreading money around their lineup. That means that one of Draisaitl or RNH would be a likely key asset to put into play. Instead of playing one player 6 or 8 million bucks, they could get some young cost controlled assets that they can develop.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Coming front a fan of the team that traded Hall for Larsson. Drai’s over payment of a contract puts him on par with Hamilton, who is much better than Larsson

What does that have to do with values ? Hall had more value the Larsson . As for Draisaitl he on pace for 100 points . He got great chemistry with McDavid . He has great value as McDavid winger and as a big C in the playoffs as we seen . There a reason Hamilton is being traded this much .

I will nip your argument in the butt right now . Not everyone works with McDavid , Hall didn’t, Eberle didn’t . So tell me what a potential 100 winger should be paid ? I guess if he was put on the market no teams would want him lol . Go trade for Benn and his 10 million contract hearing he may be available

Argument 2 ) is his playoffs were a short sample size and means nothing . Yet that same short playoff run means everything when fans were ripping Eberle . Can’t have it both ways .

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
No chance Philly moves Provorov, even in a deal for McD
If mcdavid was to be given you need 2 A blue chip forward and 1 A blue chip dman. That's his price minimum . He's a generational talent here. For example Bruins I would get mcavoy pastrnak and debrusk. Mcdavid value is Crosby in his prime and can deliver 3 cups if he gets the right chemistry. The oilers are so dysfunctional right now it would take years to fix this and wasting mcdavid value. He should be traded and get the most assets now.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No chance Philly moves Provorov, even in a deal for McD

Philly does Provorov for McDavid strictly on value alone. McDavid is the type of player you shuffle your assets around to make room and a fit for.

That being said - the package that it would take to land McDavid would leave the Flyers with no assets to shuffle, and we'd basically just become the Philadelphia Oilers.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
The only player with any value on that roster is McDavid. Trading Draisaitl is a lateral move at best. No one outside of Edmonton thinks he is worth $8.5. Oilers have no assets. You can't trade plugs for stars. You can't fill holes with rings, even though Lowe keeps telling us has 6. The oilers can't draft or develop talent. I hear a lot of oiler fans getting angry but none of them have solutions because they won't consider trading McDavid. i haven't heard one decent solution from an Oiler fan yet.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The only player with any value on that roster is McDavid.

Trading Draisaitl is a lateral move at best.

No one outside of Edmonton thinks he is worth $8.5.

Oilers have no assets.

You can't trade plugs for stars. You can't fill holes with rings, even though Lowe keeps telling us has 6.

The oilers can't draft or develop talent.

I hear a lot of oiler fans getting angry but none of them have solutions because they won't consider trading McDavid.

i haven't heard one decent solution from an Oiler fan yet.

Every one of your trades makes Edmonton worse. The thought occurred to me this might be Chairelli's HF burner account. Let's go over your post:

1. Wrong. Also, dumb.

2. That depends on the return.

3. Wrong again. Also, wait until this off season. You'll see guys with lower numbers get more money. It's the nature of the league. A guy who has two 70 point seasons, on pace for 100, takes face offs on the top line and can slide into our 2C role whenever we need him too... who has size and is 23 and signed long term... man I don't know what the hell else you want.

4. Wrong again. You just don't know who they are. Because: clueless.

5. This is obviously true.

6. They've been bad at development. They've rushed players. Very true. They've drafted some good players. Puljujarvi went exactly where the rest of the GMs thought he would.

7. Of course they wouldn't. Because only a blithering idiot would trade McDavid.

8. Perhaps, but you're no fan of the team and everything you've suggested makes them worse in the short AND long term.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yep. Good luck dumping your trash on someone else. And if you manage to? You now get to fill that slot with ultra expensive UFAs like Lucic. Good job. You think like Chia.
Seems like you've missed the point entirely. We don't need top tier UFA's like Lucic was when we signed him. We need middle sixers. Not 6 million dollar guys at all. Spooner is the only guy I listed that will likely be impossible to trade without something coming back too. If you think teams aren't looking for depth defensemen come playoff time, or backup goalies, or even depth toughness, then you are out of touch.

Reactions: TFHockey

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Hitchcock is a similar coach to Trotz in how they want a team to play.

Take a hint from the Islanders this year . . . find a way to shed some salary and re-stock the bottom 6 with the type of players the Isles signed and traded for and make the roster TAILORED to how Hitchcock wants to play.

It's not like the guy forgot how to win. When the Oilers played it his way THEY WON. Now tailor the roster to that!

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Hitchcock is a similar coach to Trotz in how they want a team to play.

Take a hint from the Islanders this year . . . find a way to shed some salary and re-stock the bottom 6 with the type of players the Isles signed and traded for and make the roster TAILORED to how Hitchcock wants to play.

It's not like the guy forgot how to win. When the Oilers played it his way THEY WON. Now tailor the roster to that!

I agree with the sentiment, but it's more of our middle six that's the issue (minus Nuge). I'd be fine with Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian as our 4th line going forward, salaries aside of course.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What direction are Oil fans expecting?

they can trade futures (picks+prospects) to bring players in to help - but then cap space is an issue. I don't see teams giving up valuable and productive low-cost controlled/ELC players for futures

any moves with VALUABLE roster players (larsson, nurse, rnh) will likely be lateral moves unless they decide to move them for futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad