Rebuild/Tanking Thread/Tank Nation Squad GDT #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Mcdavid may have had 6 points but strome had 4 also! I really wonder how much his point totals have to do with not having to be the main threat on Erie

Could go either way. On one hand maybe he flourishes because of the pressure on McD or maybe he would thrive more if he was the offensive focus. I imagine next year he will be the man.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
And what does that take ? 5 years ? You think it makes more sense to just throw them on the roster ? If a guy isn't good enough to make the team and eventually gets lost because of it that is far better than having some guy who is crap on your team the whole time just because.

Sorry that position makes no sense to me.

No it's called putting your young players in a position to succeed. What player is going to transition into the NHL playing 3 minutes a night? The guy put up decent ppg in the AHL, and went on to put up 28 points in his first season. It's not like the guy was complete crap on the Leafs either, he put up 5 points in 10 games the season prior to being traded after 5 games of playing under 5 minutes a night.

Development is the entire process, not just allowing them to stew in the minors until they are too good for it. You put your young players in a position to succeed, or they fail. It's that simple.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
At least they're fun to watch. this isn't fun anymore. Except for Rielly.
I don't want fun. I want Tank Wins (losses).
I get lots of pleasure watching softies go in on Reimer, Kessel avoiding body contact, and people skate around Phaneuf like he's standing still.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
seeing McDavid's end to end rush goal last night.....good god I want him lol

Yeah. The week leading up to the lottery will be painful. I imagine myself spending the whole week sick with anxiety, lying in fetal position in my underwear, eating pizza and crying out to every divine entity ever imagined to please, please let us win.

And then I'll follow it up with a week of sorrowful pizza-eating and pillow-crying. Might change to my date-underwear just for the lottery itself.

Might take up poetry, just to deal with the immense sadness I'll harbor as well.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You can bookmark this post. If we win the lottery, I will make a video of me running outside in my underwear screaming Connor McJesus for 10 minutes straight.

oh my bad then:(

i have been doing that every time we get 0.1% improvement at the lotto odds:laugh:

silentbob37*

22 games left and we're dismantling the roster.

We can drop more.

they haven't dismantled anything yet. They've traded pending UFA's, most of which they weren't goign to sign anyway. They have yet to trade away a core player or a player with termw ho would be here next year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
they haven't dismantled anything yet. They've traded pending UFA's, most of which they weren't goign to sign anyway. They have yet to trade away a core player or a player with termw ho would be here next year.

You are both right. We haven't dismantled the core, but we have traded away some of the most dangerous players we have right now. Winnik and Santorelli were pretty much our best forwards, Franson had a good season, Lupul when healthy seem to change the way this team plays. If all these players move, and that's looking likely, we might just drop even more.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
The Leafs have to make the Finals at least once by 2025

For the first time in the history of the franchise, the Leafs are going to rebuild. So we're selling off expiring assets for future draft choices. That's good.

It should take 5 years to rebuild. It's always possible for the first rebuild to fail, so if the first rebuild fails, the management team should be given a little leeway.

10 years from now gives them two shots at a 5-year rebuild cycle. If by 2025 this team is not a competitive Stanley Cup contender that has made the Finals at least once, then the rebuild will have been a total and complete utter failure. I'd say the Leafs are completely cursed and incapable of succeeding ever again... which would make me sad.

Right now the Leafs drought is worse than you can imagine. Not only have they not won the Cup since 1967. They haven't made the Finals since 1967 either. If that second drought still stands by 2025, then I don't know what to think. I will be 38 years old by then. I became a fan of the Leafs in September 2002 (that's AFTER they were eliminated by Carolina in the third round). So I've never seen my team make it past the 2nd round. *sad face*

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
A tall order, considering everyone we draft instantly busts and any contract we sign is apparently a massive overpayment.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
For the first time in the history of the franchise, the Leafs are going to rebuild. So we're selling off expiring assets for future draft choices. That's good.

It should take 5 years to rebuild. It's always possible for the first rebuild to fail, so if the first rebuild fails, the management team should be given a little leeway.

10 years from now gives them two shots at a 5-year rebuild cycle. If by 2025 this team is not a competitive Stanley Cup contender that has made the Finals at least once, then the rebuild will have been a total and complete utter failure. I'd say the Leafs are completely cursed and incapable of succeeding ever again... which would make me sad.

Right now the Leafs drought is worse than you can imagine. Not only have they not won the Cup since 1967. They haven't made the Finals since 1967 either. If that second drought still stands by 2025, then I don't know what to think. I will be 38 years old by then. I became a fan of the Leafs in September 2002 (that's AFTER they were eliminated by Carolina in the third round). So I've never seen my team make it past the 2nd round. *sad face*

i would suggest that you do not hold onto the bolded as a 100% absolute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad