Reaves Suspension Incoming?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Just like the Kane play Backstrom is targeting the player he crosschecks. Reaves crosscheck looks reactionary as Wilson is approaching him. That completely changes the intent IMO.

oh i agree, im just saying there are multiple incidents where croschecks to face are suspended. the nhl if they wanted to does have a precedent to use. now will they use it? probably not

Reactions: Drakon

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Just like the Kane play Backstrom is targeting the player he crosschecks. Reaves crosscheck looks reactionary as Wilson is approaching him. That completely changes the intent IMO.
Idk reactionary to me doesn’t go nearly that high. That looked like he was trying to crosscheck someone in the face.

If we’re considering context, the fact that the Knights are exceptionally unhappy with Wilson maybe aides that theory.

I think if the league is going to worry about head injuries then you’ve got to punish crosschecks like this too. Players can absolutely get injured this way.

Reactions: Clowe Me and Drakon

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Idk reactionary to me doesn’t go nearly that high. That looked like he was trying to crosscheck someone in the face.

If we’re considering context, the fact that the Knights are exceptionally unhappy with Wilson maybe aides that theory.

I think if the league is going to worry about head injuries then you’ve got to punish crosschecks like this too. Players can absolutely get injured this way.

Honestly, I don't think Kane or Backstrom made a conscious decision to crosscheck someone in the face either, it's a heat of the moment type thing. What I'm trying to say is that Reaves had even less time to react and he was responding to a player who was about to hit him. Backstrom and Kane target a player who isn't attempting to engage them so they don't have that defense. It's certainly possibly that Reaves knows what he's doing and is making it look accidental but that's very difficult to prove.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
whats the issue? Wilson goes to do the same thing first and reeves defends himself and is faster than Wilson. Wilson deserves what he got end of story. Should have been 2 min PIM for Wilson as well as Reeves

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Honestly, I don't think Kane or Backstrom made a conscious decision to crosscheck someone in the face either, it's a heat of the moment type thing. What I'm trying to say is that Reaves had even less time to react and he was responding to a player who was about to hit him. Backstrom and Kane target a player who isn't attempting to engage them so they don't have that defense. It's certainly possibly that Reaves knows what he's doing and is making it look accidental but that's very difficult to prove.
Fair enough

But the other point I’ve made in a later post is my main one: if a player should be suspended for a hit to the head intentionally or not, a player should be treated the same for a cross check to the head.

Logically that would include fights as well but who knows if they’ll ever seriously punish that.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Fair enough

But the other point I’ve made in a later post is my main one: if a player should be suspended for a hit to the head intentionally or not, a player should be treated the same for a cross check to the head.

Logically that would include fights as well but who knows if they’ll ever seriously punish that.

Would a player be suspended for a hit to the head if he was stationary and reacting to another player taking a run at him? I kind of doubt that. That analogy works better with the Kane/Backstrom crosschecks because they're the ones initiating contact.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Gloved punch.

If there was actually some stick contact it was the butt end brushing Wilson.

So no, this is not a suspension. And it had nothing to do with the Kane incident.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Would a player be suspended for a hit to the head if he was stationary and reacting to another player taking a run at him? I kind of doubt that. That analogy works better with the Kane/Backstrom crosschecks because they're the ones initiating contact.

*An important thing before I directly respond; per the rule book, a crosscheck that injures a player, that is deemed intentional is an automatic match penalty. That’s why Backstrom was suspended. The league isn’t shy about guessing intent. Probably nothing here tho.*

Well there’s going to be exceptional cases where the hitting player couldn’t reasonable expect to make contact with the head, like a player targeted for a hit tripping and falling headfirst into the checker, but they’ve absolutely suspended people for recklessness.

A key difference in that regard is that there are situations when body checks are legal... it’s a part of the game. When refs are calling it by the book, hard cross checks generally aren’t legal, headshot or no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad