Post-Game Talk: Really good team vs. Really bad team, 7:08 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i hope he seats a game and learns. they've invested in him more than to chorney at this point, would be a disaster if orlov blows that

it would be a disaster for Orlov. I am not sure it would be for the Caps. They have Schmidt and they have Bowey coming.

Orlov needs to grow up, I hope its that and not lack of hockey iq/maturity, and I don't know that you can grow up with a single benching.

Meanwhile, Schmidt took a scratch or two that might have been injury related or not. Trotz didn't light him up but did say he needed to get his stuff together. This coming scratch might be nothing more than that. For sure no more Pizza for DO

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Just wanted to say congrats to the caps. Best team to lace them up in DC. Still have the ultimate goal obviously. But this something to be happy about. Been a fan since 81' and this is the best team I've ever rooted for. I'm not going to complain about that.

Just poking my nose in to say Congrats to as a fan! Hope you're enjoying this!

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Orlov is more like a fine tuned mike green

Less upside

but..

Less risk
Good hits
More durable

he's young still, sitting him a game will rest him and let him think about the mistakes he makes, I wouldn't be concerned.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I really like Orlov's work ethic, that's what stands out to me about him. He's a good skater and can be hard on forwards in the corner. Then again, he does make plays like last night where he gifts a "pizza" as trotz says haha.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Well for starters he should have never put him with Orpik...go ahead bench him Trotz....why do our young guys get his rath but veterans do not...reminds me of BB...if I was Trotz I would be a lot more concerned with our scoring, or lack of.

Like Chimmers didn't feel Trotz's wrath last year?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trotz wrath seems to pay dividends. Kuznetsov has worked out ok. Burakovsky is not a bust. Schmidt looks like he might make an NHL player. Wilson is more than a plug.

Unless you take the view that these things were only held back by Trotz, I'd say he is consistently successful. And its not like Trotz doesn't have a proven track record of developing young defensemen into high end players.

oh...and Chimmer skates like a young player, so he is treated like a young player. :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Puck Daddy crapping all over the Caps. He intimates that they are lucky to be where they are at.

more of this please. we need more media dis of the capitals season. lets have a good run of Ov is over the hill, Holtby is not a Vezina goalie, Kuzy is a flash in the pan and Trotz is nothing more than a budget team coach.

lets get a good media consensus that the Caps are posers. that's just what the caps need.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It's not Orpik's fault. I repeat, it's not Orpik's fault. Orlov should know better, it was his fault. Sit him out a game, then put him on the third pairing. It's clear he's been brutal with the decision making recently.

I still think Orlov will be great in a year or two but the time isn't now, his decision making needs improvement.

Go back to 27-2/44-74/9-88 for the playoffs. Put everyone in the best position to succeed.

Frame this post if you want to fellas. I just admitted I want Orpik playing top 4 and Orlov playing bottom pairing minutes :)

Welcome to the light, twabby. Orlov has the tools to be a stud but his decision making and IQ need some seasoning. Caps can't afford to let Orlov go through his growing pains in the playoffs so he either simplifies his game or he sits, in my opinion.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Welcome to the light, twabby. Orlov has the tools to be a stud but his decision making and IQ need some seasoning. Caps can't afford to let Orlov go through his growing pains in the playoffs so he either simplifies his game or he sits, in my opinion.

I think he's pressing way too much on the defensive zone exits for some reason. He's done well in the offensive zone and I even think his defensive zone coverage was good (look at some of his battles in front of the net last night), he just needs to very specifically work on the zone exits. I think the Orpik-Orlov pairing needs to be done for this year, it just hasn't worked and there's no more time to make it work.

I think moving him down to the third pairing maximizes the talents of the group. I think Orlov and Schmidt can crush bottom pairing minutes at even strength as they did earlier in the season, and it seems like Carlson is fully healthy now so why not move him back up. I'm still weary of Orpik on the top pairing but he certainly should get second pairing minutes.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
more of this please. we need more media dis of the capitals season. lets have a good run of Ov is over the hill, Holtby is not a Vezina goalie, Kuzy is a flash in the pan and Trotz is nothing more than a budget team coach.

lets get a good media consensus that the Caps are posers. that's just what the caps need.

Meh. They heard this in 09. Didn't end up so good. Confidence is needed, not "us vs them". We've played that game, many many times over the years. It's not shown well.

I'm happy they are perceived front runners. I can't see them feeling any added pressure.... Over really anything. They know their own history, their own failings. Fail again, it won't matter how they were perceived, it's a fail. No balm because some expected it. Certainly won't make me feel better...you?

But if they somehow get added confidence from being expected to win? I don't know, but I'd take any added pep in the step, no matter how transparent or perceived.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think he's pressing way too much on the defensive zone exits for some reason. He's done well in the offensive zone and I even think his defensive zone coverage was good (look at some of his battles in front of the net last night), he just needs to very specifically work on the zone exits. I think the Orpik-Orlov pairing needs to be done for this year, it just hasn't worked and there's no more time to make it work.

I think moving him down to the third pairing maximizes the talents of the group. I think Orlov and Schmidt can crush bottom pairing minutes at even strength as they did earlier in the season, and it seems like Carlson is fully healthy now so why not move him back up. I'm still weary of Orpik on the top pairing but he certainly should get second pairing minutes.

Agree with everything here. Orlov tries to do too much in his own zone. Somebody needs to tell him what KISS means.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I still take Orlov over Orpik by a fair margin. Orlov makes bad decisions and fails on risky plays sometimes. Orpik takes himself out of position with poorly timed hits and pinches and takes dumb penalties sometimes.

Orpik hits harder and more consistently. Orlov is a much, much better skater.

Offensively it's no contest. Orlov is a difference maker who has that rare ability in a defender to create offense on his own. Orpik has two moves in the offensive zone: dump the puck or throw it on net.

I'd rather have Orpik out there to defend a lead or PK, but in all other situations it's Orlov.

Also, Orpik was out and Orlov was playing up in the lineup when the Caps played their best hockey this year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I can't see them feeling any added pressure.... Over really anything. They know their own history, their own failings. Fail again, it won't matter how they were perceived, it's a fail..

That's hilarious. You think the pressure of being the choker is no pressure at all? its just playing to role? they are not carrying a monkey, but actually they are free?

Hilarious

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I still take Orlov over Orpik by a fair margin. Orlov makes bad decisions and fails on risky plays sometimes. Orpik takes himself out of position with poorly timed hits and pinches and takes dumb penalties sometimes.

Orpik hits harder and more consistently. Orlov is a much, much better skater.

Offensively it's no contest. Orlov is a difference maker who has that rare ability in a defender to create offense on his own. Orpik has two moves in the offensive zone: dump the puck or throw it on net.

I'd rather have Orpik out there to defend a lead or PK, but in all other situations it's Orlov.

Also, Orpik was out and Orlov was playing up in the lineup when the Caps played their best hockey this year.

You and no GM in the league.

Orpik was their best D last season, a respected vet, and injured most of the year.

Orlov is Mike Green lite, minus the injuries.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why do people feel the need to put one of Orlov or Orpik down? They have their weaknesses for sure but their strengths easily outweigh their weaknesses, and I'm glad they're on our side.

I think Trotz will return to the following lineup eventually:

27-2
44-74
9-88 or 88-9

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
You think Orpik was better than Alzner, Nisky and Carlson last year? That's an interesting opinion.

Yeah, this keeps being said and it is way off base. He was serviceable during the regular season last year and played well in the playoffs, sure. But he's the first player in our "top four" I would drop if it came down to it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You think Orpik was better than Alzner, Nisky and Carlson last year? That's an interesting opinion.

In the playoffs? Absolutely. In the regular season? Debatable. People forget or won't admit how good he was. When he was injured against the Islanders and it looked bad a number of people thought it would torpedo the season.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Unsportsmanlike conduct? Hahaha. it's not like he was shooting the puck with a slapshot, just trying to make a fancy play, c'mon.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Unsportsmanlike conduct? Hahaha. it's not like he was shooting the puck with a slapshot, just trying to make a fancy play, c'mon.

Ya, I don't get it either.

Its like someone in football grabbing the ball and sprinting to the end zone after the whistle was blown. No one flags that.

Why is that a penalty in hockey? WTF?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Unless Carlson and Niskanen are out injuried I don't see a scenario where Trotz and MacLellan would prefer Orlov in the lineup to Oprik if they had to choose.

It will be interesting to see what playoff assignments Alzner and Oprik get. Alzner has stepped his game up in each of these two Trotz seasons. What was true last season and early this season may have evolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad