Post-Game Talk: Really good team vs. Really bad team, 7:08 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It worked for us last time probably due to the power of stats and objective analysis, or maybe because Ottawa is a really bad team. Either way it's time for the second TWABBY GDT.

Talk about the Capitals in general, the game tonight, how you're coping with the grueling wait between now and ~April 13th when the playoffs start.

I'll start. The Capitals are good. Not the best possession team in the league, but apparently they are pretty good at suppressing high quality chances against and generating chances for. They have a great chance to do some damage in the playoffs. Here's some good pregame reading on the subject:

http://www.japersrink.com/2016/3/28...mprehensive-view-of-the-teams-playoff-chances

The Blue Jackets are a really annoying team, but not in the good pesky way. Rather in the bad "fight and injure players" type of way. They are a bad team and the Capitals should hopefully get back on track against them because they are way better in every major regard, and unlike the Blues the Blue Jackets have nothing to play for and may even benefit more from losing than winning.

As for how I'm dealing with the wait for the playoffs: I'm arguing on the internet with people here.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Goal 1: No injuries
Goal 2: Stop over-passing the puck...shoot the darn thing
Goal 3: The PP needs better entries and faster puck movement in the O-zone
Goal 4: 2 Points Lloyd

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Normally I'm against dump and chase as a general strategy but I feel like it could be an effective strategy for PP zone entries. Have Niskanen/Carlson or Ovechkin either ring it around the boards or dump cross corner and have Oshie/Williams and Johansson/Chimera retrieve it. Should be able to have more Caps retrieving than the opponents.

At the very least it couldn't be worse than the current zone-entry strategy which teams seem to have figured out.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
With respect to Backstrom, that's just dumb. Being the best regular season team is a good thing. Home ice is a good thing.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
cmon.. you know he's expected to say that.. the real prize is Lord Stanley's cup, not the participation trophy.

we only want the grand prize hardware here.

Forget that noise. I want it all. I want to set the record for winning all the trophies won in a single year by the team both team and individual.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
That Vogel tweet is messed up. Better to say nothing than to offer a tweet that says nothing but implies something. But maybe that's the essence of Twitter

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
All due respect to Vogel....but that's ********.

He is kind of right. People can be cleared for activity while still experiencing pain, because the area aggravated will not get worse with activity and pain is a part psychological as well as a part of the natural physiological process of healing. Maybe a mild strain, who knows. But whatever it is if he is allowed to play when the last 8 games essentially don't matter, it shouldn't be much of a concern.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Hope to see tightening defense. Last few games (or months?), our D has been sieve. Also will be nice to see less perimeter play in O-zone, more traffic in front of their goalie. Don't care about the result since i think we lose. The curse of a jinxing title :)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Honestly?

Just get the point and the overall #1, and then start to systematically rest people for games 76-79 of the season. Heck, even for all 4 games (Ovechkin, Backstrom, etc).

Bring everyone back for game 80 and 81, then rest again for the add on game (82).

That should prime them for the playoffs.

None of the rest of it matters.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Normally I'm against dump and chase as a general strategy but I feel like it could be an effective strategy for PP zone entries. Have Niskanen/Carlson or Ovechkin either ring it around the boards or dump cross corner and have Oshie/Williams and Johansson/Chimera retrieve it. Should be able to have more Caps retrieving than the opponents.

At the very least it couldn't be worse than the current zone-entry strategy which teams seem to have figured out.

Dump and chase leads to much longer times before the formation is set up. The ability of the Capitals to quickly establish their formation upon zone entry is one of the biggest strengths of the Caps PP. While tweaks to zone entry are necessary, they shouldn't abandon one of the aspects that has helped their PP be so successful.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Dump and chase leads to much longer times before the formation is set up. The ability of the Capitals to quickly establish their formation upon zone entry is one of the biggest strengths of the Caps PP. While tweaks to zone entry are necessary, they shouldn't abandon one of the aspects that has helped their PP be so successful.

I agree in general and I don't think they should abandon controlled zone entries if they are available. And I'm right with you in terms of adopting new controlled entry strategies being the preference over dump and chase. Maybe try entering on the left wing side of the ice instead of the right side a little more often.

But I think having a very well-thought out dump and chase strategy as a plan B is useful because while it takes more time to get the formation set up, it seems like it may be more reliable than controlled entries which seem to be failing a lot recently. No stats to back up this claim, just thought I'd throw it out there as another option especially since come playoff time teams are certainly going to gameplan around the Caps PP.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
With respect to Backstrom, that's just dumb. Being the best regular season team is a good thing. Home ice is a good thing.

(mod)
He was asked if it was something to be "proud of", and in that context his answer is perfectly appropriate even if you really want to nitpick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad