Realistically, would a player like Brad Marchand get in the HHOF?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He will have I imagine powerful and influential ex teammate and coach, Bergeron/Crosby, a career 06 team player do not hurt either.

Are you that hated by the powerful hockey people if you make Team Canada during best on best tournament multiple time.

Even as a Bruins fan, I never thought I'd see the day Marchand played for Team Canada.

Too much career left to really say if he gets in. What if he takes out a McDavid or McKinnon with a bad hit?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Everybody hates him.
How is this even relevant, unless you're saying that voters will let personal bias get in the way of their votes. I think because he's not big on the individual hardware scene, he needs to accumulate more top 10 and top 5 scoring finishes to get consideration.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think Alfredsson may be a decent comparable

Both were pretty good players who eventually put up elite numbers later in their careers while playing on the best line in hockey

They're actually polar opposites on a few things :
- Alfredsson's case is heavily reliant on being the face of a franchise that accomplished absolutely nothing before he joined them; Brad Marchand plays for the Boston Bruins
- Everyboys knows Marchand is a Dbag, a status Marchand seems to thrive in; meanwhile, Alfredsson is one of the lowest-key Dbag of low-key Dbags, which meant it's not something that will ever be held against him.

I don't think Marchand can be kept out of the HHOF if he's continuing like this. At face value, his best three seasons are better than Alfredsson's best three seasons, and he's well on his way to add a fourth. He's gonna have to add games and healthy seasons (which not a total given, considering Marchand might turn 32 during the playoffs, should be Bruins are still in contention in the second round), however, because he's not a guy that will go with a borderline resume.

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He should get in if he continues his current play for a couple of years. Still Alfredsson > Marchand.

Alfredsson: 1x 2nd AST, 1x top 10 hart voting, 3x top 10 in goals (9,9,9), 3x top 10 in pts (4,7,9)

Marchand: 1x 1st AST, 1x 2nd AST, 2x top 10 hart voting, 2x top 10 in goals (4,6), 2x top 10 in pts (5,5).

This is not including the current season where Marchand is 4th in goals and 3rd in pts, well on pace for top 10 finishes in both, most likely another AST and top 10 hart finish too. Marchand has the edge in the regular season, they are similar playoff performers but Marchand has a cup. Definitely ahead of Alfredsson imo.

Reactions: The Macho Man

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Alfredsson: 1x 2nd AST, 1x top 10 hart voting, 3x top 10 in goals (9,9,9), 3x top 10 in pts (4,7,9)

Marchand: 1x 1st AST, 1x 2nd AST, 2x top 10 hart voting, 2x top 10 in goals (4,6), 2x top 10 in pts (5,5).

This is not including the current season where Marchand is 4th in goals and 3rd in pts, well on pace for top 10 finishes in both, most likely another AST and top 10 hart finish too. Marchand has the edge in the regular season, they are similar playoff performers but Marchand has a cup. Definitely ahead of Alfredsson imo.

Eh those are close numbers, Alfredsson however got over 1100 pts compared to 600. It's just a matter of a full consistent career vs a bunch of great years. And it's not like Marchand peaked clearly higher. In time I suspect they will end up quite close but at this point it's clearly Alfie.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

TBF RW is deeper than LW (especially now). Who are the LWers of note right now? Marchand, Hall, Ovi, and Panarin? During Alfredsson's peak he was going up against Jagr, MSL, Iginla, and just generally a deeper bench of talent in the position.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Hmm. Interesting one..

I hate Marchand as much as the next person, but my initial reaction was "of course he has a HOF case, the guy has won it all". Stanley Cup, World Cup, Skoda Cup, U20. All while having few 100 point seasons and being one of the backbones of his teams. Tied up for the most points in playoffs last year on a run that was very close handing him his second cup. Sounds like a lock to HF?

Then you look his stats closer and it isnt actually all that sure. He doesnt really have the longevity just yet. And he has no personal hardware at all. Adding all the "other stuff" to that.. Winning with Team Canada gives him some edge over all the antics he has pulled though.

His HOF-case will be determined later, I guess! Id give it a 50/50 right now.

Reactions: VanIslander

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Oh I don't think he's there yet at all. He really only has what - three seasons as an "elite" player? But if he can put together a couple of more elite seasons, with a few more good ones, I think he'll have an argument.

My issue is I don't think him being... himself will be a detriment. If anything I think it will break voters in his favor if he's borderline.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018

Marchand is underrated(still) so Hart Trophy voting only tells you so much about him.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Marchand is underrated(still) so Hart Trophy voting only tells you so much about him.

5th, 7th and 11th is still pretty good so far at 31 years of age. Expect to see more numbers like that if his career continues. He is a rare player in the case that most HHOFers you figure by the time they are his age are well on their way, if not already, HHOFers.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I would have said no a few years ago, but he's certainly starting to make a decent case for himself now.

He was a good player on a Stanley Cup winning team. Check.
He's starting to put together some seasons with exceptional offensive numbers. Check.
He holds his own defensively. Check.

And, more importantly since it is a Hall of Fame, he is famous (or at least infamous) for his antics as an agitator. Whether you like that stuff or not (I don't), he is memorable.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
For several stretches over the last 3 years Brad Marchand has been the most dangerous scorer in the national hockey league

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
As of now, I don’t see his overall resume being better than a similar player in Ken Linesman. That said he has peaked higher and he’s still building on that resume, so imo in the end he might have a really great case.

pS I think I’m the only habs fan on the planet that really likes Marchand.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
As of now, I don’t see his overall resume being better than a similar player in Ken Linesman. That said he has peaked higher and he’s still building on that resume, so imo in the end he might have a really great case.

pS I think I’m the only habs fan on the planet that really likes Marchand.
Did Linesman ever finish even top 10 in scoring? Odd comparable other than being rats. Marchand has a *much* stronger resume.

No All-Star noms/consideration, no selke/Hart consideration, no high scoring finishes. Hell - he never topped 100 points in a *much* higher scoring environment, while Marchand has. The only thing they have in common is their ability to make people want to punch them in the face.

Reactions: seventieslord

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Did Linesman ever finish even top 10 in scoring? Odd comparable other than being rats. Marchand has a *much* stronger resume.

No All-Star noms/consideration, no selke/Hart consideration, no high scoring finishes. Hell - he never topped 100 points in a *much* higher scoring environment, while Marchand has. The only thing they have in common is their ability to make people want to punch them in the face.

Exactly what did you not understand about ‘peaked higher’, the part you chose to not highlight. Linesman had more quality seasons. Marchand peaked higher. That makes them more or less even. The peak certainly doesn’t put Marchand well ahead of a player like linesman. At best he’s like a Pete Mahovlich, some good to very good years, with a great 2-3 year peak.

Marchand needs more than that to get to the hall. He might well do it. But he needs more.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Exactly what did you not understand about ‘peaked higher’, the part you chose to not highlight. Linesman had more quality seasons. Marchand peaked higher. That makes them more or less even. The peak certainly doesn’t put Marchand well ahead of a player like linesman. At best he’s like a Pete Mahovlich, some good to very good years, with a great 2-3 year peak.

Marchand needs more than that to get to the hall. He might well do it. But he needs more.
That's not "peaked higher". That puts him in an entire different realm of player.

It's a bad comparison. So is the Mahovlich comparison. Make a better one.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Mahovlich's "peak" came from centering Guy Lafleur. Marchand's peak is much more his own doing, plus he's a better all-around player.

I think if you look at Linseman's quality seasons on an era adjusted basis you might find there's not really much more there, than there is for Marchand.

Eliminate this season and the past three, and marchand's best adjusted points are 69, 69, 62 and 59. Linseman's were 67, 67, 64 and 62.

Beyond the 59s, there's a dropoff for both players. If we call 59 or higher a "quality"season, then Linseman's got seven and marchand's working on his eighth. (With the main difference being that his four best are worlds better than Linseman's).

So I'd have to disagree with you that Linseman's got more quality seasons as of right now.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Mahovlich's "peak" came from centering Guy Lafleur. Marchand's peak is much more his own doing, plus he's a better all-around player.

I don't know the numbers. But at a pass this underrates Mahovlich and overrates Marshy for me...

M was a gifted individual unto himself. Marshy has skill, no question, but he's - crazily (as I undercut him) the glue guy/third wheel on his line...

This is also not a response to the thread at large...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I would have definitely said he is on a collision course for a Ken Linseman career. Nothing wrong with that, both were rats, seemed to play well during important moments, someone you wanted on your team, someone who could get you 70 points a year (50 or maybe 60 for Marchand). It fit. You don't put Linseman in the HHOF, but like Tikkanen, you at least look at his career and it is more impressive than you remember. But Marchand just exploded the last few years and right now I don't know whose career he resembles at the moment.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

I think if you look at Linseman's quality seasons on an era adjusted basis you might find there's not really much more there, than there is for Marchand.

Eliminate this season and the past three, and marchand's best adjusted points are 69, 69, 62 and 59. Linseman's were 67, 67, 64 and 62.

Beyond the 59s, there's a dropoff for both players. If we call 59 or higher a "quality"season, then Linseman's got seven and marchand's working on his eighth. (With the main difference being that his four best are worlds better than Linseman's).

So I'd have to disagree with you that Linseman's got more quality seasons as of right now.

outside of Marchands big years, I see him more as a complimentary player on contenders, while I saw linesman as one of his teams top 1 or 2 forwards (outside the Oiler years) on similarly caliber teams. Just saying the difference isn’t outlandish and my main point is Marchand needs to do more. I think he can.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I would have definitely said he is on a collision course for a Ken Linseman career. Nothing wrong with that, both were rats, seemed to play well during important moments, someone you wanted on your team, someone who could get you 70 points a year (50 or maybe 60 for Marchand). It fit. You don't put Linseman in the HHOF, but like Tikkanen, you at least look at his career and it is more impressive than you remember. But Marchand just exploded the last few years and right now I don't know whose career he resembles at the moment.
Yeah you don't see many players breaking out at 28-30. Peaking? It happens, but generally it's not incongruous with their prior career.

Maybe MSL? Absent the face-licking, nut tapping, and low-bridging, they are not completely dissimilar in the offensive zone (Marchand better defensively by a solid margin though).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't know the numbers. But at a pass this underrates Mahovlich and overrates Marshy for me...

M was a gifted individual unto himself. Marshy has skill, no question, but he's - crazily (as I undercut him) the glue guy/third wheel on his line...

This is also not a response to the thread at large...

Yeah, I don't know about calling Marchand the third wheel on his line. I can't think of any other time a third wheel outscored his even strength linemates by 14.5% and 40% per game, over a four-season period. Especially from the wing. This means a lot more goals are going in without a point from Pastrnak or Bergeron, than without a point for Marchand.

I can only think of one famous "third wheel" who outscored his superior wingers (almost certainly just because he was the center) - and that's Vladimir Petrov.

I know you aren't saying he's a scrub, but he's incredibly talented. He scares me every time he has the puck. He is not your standard north-south winger at all; he buzzes around the whole zone creatively, making things happen. Sure, one can say Bergeron is better because he is an otherwordly defensive player and because he creates a lot of chances with his defensive zone work that doesn't show up on the scoresheet, but Pastrnak hasn't outscored Marchand long-term, hasn't distinguished himself in any other areas, and really only scares me when Marchand makes a fast cross-ice pass to him.

Reactions: The Macho Man

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, I don't know about calling Marchand the third wheel on his line. I can't think of any other time a third wheel outscored his even strength linemates by 14.5% and 40% per game, over a four-season period. Especially from the wing. This means a lot more goals are going in without a point from Pastrnak or Bergeron, than without a point for Marchand.

I can only think of one famous "third wheel" who outscored his superior wingers (almost certainly just because he was the center) - and that's Vladimir Petrov.

I know you aren't saying he's a scrub, but he's incredibly talented. He scares me every time he has the puck. He is not your standard north-south winger at all; he buzzes around the whole zone creatively, making things happen. Sure, one can say Bergeron is better because he is an otherwordly defensive player and because he creates a lot of chances with his defensive zone work that doesn't show up on the scoresheet, but Pastrnak hasn't outscored Marchand long-term, hasn't distinguished himself in any other areas, and really only scares me when Marchand makes a fast cross-ice pass to him.
Marchand has a Jagr-esque ass. Dude just doesn't get knocked off the puck.

Yeah - he certainly plays with great players but he's an elite talent on his own. I don't think he has an HHOF resume *yet*, but I would put my money on him getting there, because I think he has the right combination of skills to age well.

Edit: He's a guy that I hated for years but sometime over the past two years I just gave up - he's too fun to watch to hate. He really is "tune in and watch" quality of player, and on the short list of guys I will watch outside of my own team nowadays (time isn't what it once was where I could watch 12 games a week).

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
very odd career arc. maybe rick tocchet through year nine would be the best comparison?

year one: below the radar energy guy/pest, decently low in the lineup on a deep team in the regular season, both make the finals after moving up in the lineup but neither on the go-to scoring line (tocchet with sutter/carson behind poulin's line, marchand with bergeron/recchi behind krejci's line). marchand had a hell of a finals and won of course, while tocchet was much quieter and the flyers lost in 5.

year two: improves, gains more responsibility, nothing spectacular for tocchet but marchand establishes himself as a 25 goal/55 point scorer

year three: breakthrough years and return to the finals, marchand leads the bruins in scoring for the first time in the regular season, tocchet breaks through as a 10 goal/20 point guy in the playoffs

year four: tocchet becomes a point/game player, marchand stays at the 25/55 level he'd established in year two

year five: marchand stagnates, tocchet becomes a scoring star, hitting 45 goals (11th) and 86 points in only 66 games

year six: marchand's turn to make a huge offensive jump, hitting 37 goals (6th), tocchet hits 96 points (15th)

year seven: tocchet stays at his level, scoring 40 again, marchand makes another leap, hitting 39 goals (4th) and 85 points (5th) and first team all-star LW

year eight: injury year for tocchet but he goes on to win the cup on a line with mario and stevens, marchand misses games and falls a little too but not nearly as much, putting up another 85 points (13th)

year nine: another high end year for marchand, with a career high 100 points (5th again), before returning to the finals and leading the league in playoff scoring, tocchet also has a career year, with 48 goals (13th) and 109 points (15th)

marchand is the higher end offensive player, but because tocchet played in a tougher era the difference isn't as big as their respective placements make it seem.

Season
AgeTmLgGPGAPTS+/-PIMAwards
1984-8520PHINHL751425395179
1985-8621PHINHL6914213514284
1986-8722PHINHL6921284917288
1987-8823PHINHL653133643299
1988-8924PHINHL66453681-1183AS-5
1989-9025PHINHL753759964196AS-5
1990-9126PHINHL704031712150Hart-9
1991-9227TOTNHL6127325915151
1992-9328PITNHL80486110928252AS-4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]