Realistically who can challenge the Penguins?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I would love if Boston and Pittsburgh met in the playoffs. Boston absolutely dominates them.

This, under Julien though. Bergeron has Malkin's number and Chara against Sid has also benefitted the Bruins in the playoffs.

It's all part of the Eastern Cycle:

Penguins own the Habs.
Habs own the Bruins.
Bruins own the Penguins.
Capitals own the Bruins.
Rangers own the Habs.
Lightning own the Habs.
Bruins own the Lightning.
Penguins own the Capitals.
Habs own the Senators.

bobbydigital

Aug 18, 2016
Chicago
Before you start playing the fanbase jinx [mod] label, I bet a good deal of actual $ on the Penguins to win the SC last year, and I also bet on Crosby as winning the Smythe, both before the playoffs began.

And I also said Benn would win the Ross in the offseason before he did.

I'm not saying I get everything right. But leave the personal attacks at the door and fanbase stuff out of here.

The Penguins are that good. If a Pens fan were to make that statement, it isn't arrogance. It's the reality.

The irony is the Pens fans are afraid of the praise but please enlighten me on how the Caps are the better team. A team missing 8-9 regulars that is one point behind a team that is missing 1 regular. It's not close.

You also said the Hawks were not a playoff team.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This, under Julien though. Bergeron has Malkin's number and Chara against Sid has also benefitted the Bruins in the playoffs.

It's all part of the Eastern Cycle:

Penguins own the Habs.
Habs own the Bruins.
Bruins own the Penguins.
Capitals own the Bruins.
Rangers own the Habs.
Lightning own the Habs.
Bruins own the Lightning.
Penguins own the Capitals.
Habs own the Senators.

Pretty sure the Bruins are 16-15 agt the Pens since 2010 and only beat them in one playoff series.... under Dan Bylsma... when the Pens had one of their slowest rosters in years...

Not sure where this domination talk is coming from.

Not to rub salt in Caps fans wounds, but the Pens have won, what? 8 of 9 playoff series agt them? That's domination, not having a .500 record and one playoff series win back in 2013.

2013 means about as much as when the Pens owned the Bruins and won 8 straight playoff games agt them in 91-92.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Containing Crosby at ES is going to prove a lot more difficult than some opposition fans expect if Sullivan keeps Sheary and Guentzel on his line.

They ain't Dupes and Kunitz where you can dedicate all your defensive resources to swarming Sid and dare the handless wonders to beat you with that extra time and space.

The biggest issues for the Pens are keeping Kunitz out of the top 9 and getting relatively healthy.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Pretty sure the Bruins are 16-15 agt the Pens since 2010 and only beat them in one playoff series.... under Dan Bylsma... when the Pens had one of their slowest rosters in years...

Not sure where this domination talk is coming from.

Domination is going too far. But Boston is a fantastic possession team and that seems to counter what the Penguins do better than our match-ups against other playoff teams. Coach Parker is just comparing our record against the Pens to a team like Washington, who has completely owned us.

It's no disrespect to the Penguins at all, if they meet in the playoffs the Pens for sure should be the favorites.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Besides the high end of Malkin/Crosby compared to NYR high end, the depth of NY definitely rivals when you're going all 12 healthy forwards.

Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Grabner
Vesey-Zibanejad-Nash
Buchnevich-Lindberg-Fast

Both teams will easily roll 4 lines in a 7 game series. Rangers have their Hagelin back this year and he's better than Hagelin.

Im sorry to burst your bubble...

But you guys are NOWHERE NEAR the Penguins when it comes to forwards.

As deep? Not quite.

But you mentioned where you really are lacking....the star power....the big names....the high end talent....its just not there for the NYR. And that's a BIG deal.

You can't just say "well we're essentially the same as them.....just no Malkin and no Crosby".....lol, that's like saying "The Leafs D core is just as good as the Hawks.....just no Keith and no Seabrook".

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Seriously though, what current top 16 team would you actually bet on to beat the Pens. Not the "I want" card. The actual "they will beat them" card.

Caps - No - Trotz can't match Sullivan at adjustment game
Wild - No - Boudreau isn't good at adjusting either
Hawks - ? -
Oilers/Flames - Too inexperienced
Jackets - Likely won't get home ice so no

Who else?

If we're talking about one playoff series against most of those teams, most likely the Pens take it. But let's look at what will probably be the first round. Will the Pens most likely beat the Jackets? Yeah, but the Jackets are a very physically punishing team and my guess is that even if they lose, they're going to beat the living **** out of the Pens physically, which MIGHT (not saying will, but might) soften them up for their next opponent who will most likely be Washington who have added a lot of physical payers to their roster at the deadline. Not saying the Pens won't win the cup, but I don't think it's going to be as easy as you think. They certainly have a way better shot than my Rangers, but I don't think it's going to be a walk in the park. The best thing the Pens can do is either win the division or start losing and take the WC 1 spot.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
If we're talking about one playoff series against most of those teams, most likely the Pens take it. But let's look at what will probably be the first round. Will the Pens most likely beat the Jackets? Yeah, but the Jackets are a very physically punishing team and my guess is that even if they lose, they're going to beat the living **** out of the Pens physically, which MIGHT (not saying will, but might) soften them up for their next opponent who will most likely be Washington who have added a lot of physical payers to their roster at the deadline. Not saying the Pens won't win the cup, but I don't think it's going to be as easy as you think. They certainly have a way better shot than my Rangers, but I don't think it's going to be a walk in the park. The best thing the Pens can do is either win the division or start losing and take the WC 1 spot.

I agree with you in general because I take no series for granted come playoff time, let alone the whole playoffs and winning 4 series, so this is just a nitpick but how did Washington add a lot of physical players at the deadline? Shattenkirk? I mean they have physical players in a guy like Wilson, but they certainly didn't add any unless I'm forgetting something.

And anyway, the post you responded to said the reason the Hawks couldn't beat the Pens was "?", which I gotta say doesn't quite convince me...so it's probably not worth the effort :laugh:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I agree with you in general because I take no series for granted come playoff time, let alone the whole playoffs and winning 4 series, so this is just a nitpick but how did Washington add a lot of physical players at the deadline? Shattenkirk? I mean they have physical players in a guy like Wilson, but they certainly didn't add any unless I'm forgetting something.

And anyway, the post you responded to said the reason the Hawks couldn't beat the Pens was "?", which I gotta say doesn't quite convince me...so it's probably not worth the effort :laugh:

I think he was saying that matchup(Pens vs Hawks) would be a toss up. I'd have to agree at this point. And that SCF would be one for the ages. Dynasty bragging rights on the line.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens played more hockey than any other team in the NHL last year.

A half dozen preseason games.
82 regular season games games.
Plus 23 playoff games.
Plus a quarter of the team, all key members, played in the World Cup games.

Plus a third of the team is out injured, and the Pens have had more key injuries than any other team in hockey this year. Maybe related to the number of games played. But mostly the Pens always are the most injured in hockey.

Fatigue and the grind for a team already who has played a ton of hockey more than any other team is the biggest threat to the Pens making major noise in the playoffs. They rarely have looked like the team who buzz sawed through other teams from December on this year, even when healthy.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Is this a joke? no-one can challenge the Pens, obviously. If you ask me we may as well just hand them to Cup now and have done it. We're just going through the motions till they get it anyway

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
The Pens played more hockey than any other team in the NHL last year.

A half dozen preseason games.
82 regular season games games.
Plus 23 playoff games.
Plus a quarter of the team, all key members, played in the World Cup games.

Plus a third of the team is out injured, and the Pens have had more key injuries than any other team in hockey this year. Maybe related to the number of games played. But mostly the Pens always are the most injured in hockey.

Fatigue and the grind for a team already who has played a ton of hockey more than any other team is the biggest threat to the Pens making major noise in the playoffs. They rarely have looked like the team who buzz sawed through other teams from December on this year, even when healthy.

Agreed, and yet another reason I would like the Bruins chances against the Penguins in a best of seven. Boston would have likely had to face and beat Ottawa and Montreal whil the Penguins (or any team coming out of the Metro for that matter) have to beat out Washington, New York and Colombus to get to the ECF.

Any Atlantic team fanabse would agree that the path to the ECF is easier for their team than in the Metro and that fatigue paired with your assessment plus the last time the Bruins and Penguins met are the reasons why I posted in this thread that the Bruins would stand a good chance against the Penguins. Pittsburgh will always and forever be the favorites but theres a lot to like about taking the Atlantic team in the ECF.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
this is based on what? a fluke head scratching playoff series from 4 years ago?

FluKe, would be a coin toss and best of seven going either way. The word to describe that series was total domination by the Bruins. Total.

Regardless of that, I posted above why fatigue and the grind coming out of the Metro are the main reasons why I would bet money against the odds on the Bruins if they met in the ECF.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
FluKe, would be a coin toss and best of seven going either way. The word to describe that series was total domination by the Bruins. Total.

Regardless of that, I posted above why fatigue and the grind coming out of the Metro are the main reasons why I would bet money against the odds on the Bruins if they met in the ECF.

4 years ago

different players, different coaches, different teams

one being the pens who are better than 2013, and the bruins being worse than 2013

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
4 years ago

different players, different coaches, different teams

one being the pens who are better than 2013, and the bruins being worse than 2013

Agreed. Two totally different teams now. My response was to you calling a sweep a fluke, which at the time it certainly wasn't.

Pens still the favorite in the East and in any series but the thread asked for opinions on challenge and I think circumstances in the Metro make it the toughest division to get out of.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013
The Penguins are the best offensive team, but they are below average when it comes to defense. They could easily have a tough time against a more balanced team like the Blackhawks, capitals, wild, columbus, etc

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Pens don't play Chicago a whole lot but when they do, Chicago usually beats them

Eowin

Mar 7, 2009
Carmel, IN, USA
[mod]

Lots of stars.

Higher ratings=more money=higher caps=very good for the Hawks moving forward. :handclap::handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Eowin

Mar 7, 2009
Carmel, IN, USA
A Penguin is a bird.
A Hawk is a bird, but a Blackhawk is either a military unit or an Indian tribe.

I think a Hawk would beat a Penguin (they can't even fly) and I'm sure a military unit or an Indian tribe would beat a penguin.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00