Realistically, Which Calibre Of Centre Will Matthews Become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Which caliber? 50 caliber ...as in consistently being a 50 goal scoring center! When I see him handle the puck in traffic and fire the puck as quickly and accurately as he does,I think the comparisons will be to that of the great goal scoring centers of modern times. So,the Yzerman , Sakic comparisons are in line. At times ,he does seem to be a bit more talented than even them .

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I think Matthews is an elite center, fighting for for the second best center title with a slew of young centers like MacKinnon, Barkov or Eichel.

He needs to separate himself with a full season from those players.

He isn’t a generational player and he’ll never be better than McDavid but an elite/franchise player, like Tavares or Stamkos is about right.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
no way

crosby went on to perfect his face off technique, 2 way play, goal scoring etc. Who cares anyhow

So now we are throwing statistics out the window to argue what if scenarios and probabilities? Is this quantum physics or hockey?

He had his best season and the team was much worse, he dominated the league. Something he only ever came close to again in 2009 when he scored 51 goals and won the Rocket. Those were his first 5 seasons in the league and he was 23 at the time. There is no argument, those were his best years. Some would say his peak.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I think Matthews is an elite center, fighting for for the second best center title with a slew of young centers like MacKinnon, Barkov or Eichel.

He needs to separate himself with a full season from those players.

He isn’t a generational player and he’ll never be better than McDavid but an elite/franchise player, like Tavares or Stamkos is about right.
This sounds about right, I agree.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
So now we are throwing statistics out the window to argue what if scenarios and probabilities? Is this quantum physics or hockey?

He had his best season and the team was much worse, he dominated the league. Something he only ever came close to again in 2009 when he scored 51 goals and won the Rocket. Those were his first 5 seasons in the league and he was 23 at the time. There is no argument, those were his best years. Some would say his peak.
ok sounds good!

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Interesting.

First five years:

1 Art Ross
1 Hart
1 Lindsay
1 Rocket
Two other Top 3 Art Ross finishes

From 2013 to 2017:

1 Art Ross
1 Hart
2 Lindsays
1 Rocket
Four other Top 3 Art Ross finishes

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
A top 5 center in the league through his prime, has a good chance to take some individual hardware like a couple of Rockets and a Hart trophy at his peak.

Sakic/Foppa tier.

Reactions: Legionnaire

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Interesting.

First five years:

1 Art Ross
1 Hart
1 Lindsay
1 Rocket
Two other Top 3 Art Ross finishes

From 2013 to 2017:

1 Art Ross
1 Hart
2 Lindsays
1 Rocket
Four other Top 3 Art Ross finishes

Is that 2012-13 or 2013-14 for the second group of years? He won his Lindsay's in 2012-13/2013-14 and also two Smythe's in that period. I don't think it's really debatable that the second group of years were his best.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I see him as a Mats Sundin type player. Top 10-15 player for most of his career. Good offensive player, just over a point per game for the peak of his career. But never quite being the best. No Art Ross, No Rocket Richards, No individual awards. No Stanley Cup.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I see him as a Mats Sundin type player. Top 10-15 player for most of his career. Good offensive player, just over a point per game for the peak of his career. But never quite being the best. No Art Ross, No Rocket Richards, No individual awards. No Stanley Cup.
you don't see a Rocket in AM's future? He has the 6th most goals and 3rd best GPG since he's been in the league. Definitely has the capabilities of winning one. Won't argue with the Art Ross with McDavid around though but stranger things have happened...

Reactions: bionic

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In Matthews rookie season he finished tied for 2nd in goals and was 4 goals behind Crosby the Rocket Richard. So he can win it if things work out.

You are also forgetting Matthews has won the Calder which last time I checked was an individual award.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If Matthews is as good as leafs fans advertise does that mean hes now the #1 centre on the team? If so then you should be worried because the #2 centre on the team makes around 11 million dollars. That could be a problem next season.

I would make it my best effort to convince the hockey world that hes not yet ready for the #1 mantle. Otherwise his agent might start believing the hype too.
Auston ain't taking a discount no matter what his title is.

His p1/60 is in the 12m per year range

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
In Matthews rookie season he finished tied for 2nd in goals and was 4 goals behind Crosby the Rocket Richard. So he can win it if things work out.

You are also forgetting Matthews has won the Calder which last time I checked was an individual award.
Hart/Ross/Lindsay/ > Rocket > selke > calder.

Imo of course

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think he’ll fall into that second tier and when it’s all said and done he’ll have a similar career to Malkin, there’s an outside chance for him to be even better than that though which is exciting. It’s hard to put any kind of limitation on this kid.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Which caliber? 50 caliber ...as in consistently being a 50 goal scoring center! When I see him handle the puck in traffic and fire the puck as quickly and accurately as he does,I think the comparisons will be to that of the great goal scoring centers of modern times. So,the Yzerman , Sakic comparisons are in line. At times ,he does seem to be a bit more talented than even them .
Oh for heavens sake!
Cool the hyperbole.
More talented than Sakic and Yzerman? A consistent 50 goal scorer?
Even Ovechkin, arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time doesn’t consistently score 50 goals. And Matthews is unlikely to be ever as good a goal scorer as Ovechkin.
It’s like some of you just started hockey two years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad