Speculation: Realistically how many teams can add at the deadline

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
If I remember correctly, in 2015 the Hawks left Kane on LTIR until the end of the regular season to stay cap compliant. He then came back for the playoffs. Thought was if they wouldn't have been using LTIR he could have comeback a couple of games earlier to get in a couple of games before the playoffs but they had acquired Timonen, Vermette and Desjardains at the deadline after Kane went on LTIR and him coming back early would have put them over the cap.
When Kane got hurt is expected return wasn’t until the second round of the playoffs. Even in the last few games of the season, he wasn’t expected to return until game 3 or 4. He probably wouldn’t have played the last few Ames even if there wasn’t cap issues. Had a broken collarbone, the hawks wouldn’t risk it

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Canes starting season with a 20 man roster. I wonder if part of that decision is to start accumulating cap space in case Willy comes back later in the year or they want to make a deadline acquisition.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Canes starting season with a 20 man roster. I wonder if part of that decision is to start accumulating cap space in case Willy comes back later in the year or they want to make a deadline acquisition.

I mean if the first guys to replace someone are waiver exempt , the AHL team isn't too far away and the team is at home there's no reason not do it and many teams do that. For longer roadtrips someone gets callled up but while at home rosterspots stay open to safe capspace. No reason to have someone whos waiver exempt sit in the pressbox unneccesarily.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Don’t forget that cap space is calculated daily. So a team that has 1.5 million cap space til the deadline actually has somewhere near 4 million available. Except if LTIR is used

While any team can add if they also move salary out, I think the teams that will have the easiest time adding and will be playoff teams are going to be Washington, Colorado, Winnipeg, and Nashville.

Teams will free up cap space during the year as well, the top teams will always find a way to add at least some depth players at the deadline.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I have a sneaky feeling Toronto trades one of Kapanen/Johnsson.
With Mikhayev and Moore emerging
We can hopefully make a package for someone that fills the remaining "needs"

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Hawks are a wild card. They could sell off, stand pat, or buy. They still have a window of their core pieces to make a run if things go right this year so I can see them trying to give Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford a shot at another run. They could also stand pat and stay the long term plan and not want to give up assets and just trust the roster. They could also sell off players that dont make sense long term and would fetch a nice return such as Gustafsson and Crawford (if Lehner proves himself to be the long term replacement)

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Sure about that ? Pretty much all the Stars writers talked about keeping some of the LTIR money back for performance bonuses . The way the team is structured and the performance bonuses i have my doubts the capguys would voluntarily just have the bonus money roll over into next year by default. The team has known for almost a year now that Hanzal will not ever be returning for example and his contract by himself covers pretty much all the bonus money the Stars could had out combined. I mean big chunks of the bonuses for Sekera or Perry aren't even that hard to hit. Just play 10-20-30 etc games and something is added.
im pretty sure its right but the rookies also have to hit their bonuses.

the expensive bonuses for rookies are normally in the 2 mill pot for a top pick which is only heisk id imagine ? but playing with next years cap is easy

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I have a sneaky feeling Toronto trades one of Kapanen/Johnsson.
With Mikhayev and Moore emerging
We can hopefully make a package for someone that fills the remaining "needs"

That and they will have to make a move once Hyman gets healthy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With everyone so cap tight this year, how many teams can realistically add significant players even with salary retention. For instance Hall fully retained is still 3 mill, which unless someone is placed on the LTIR mid season, salary will also have to transfer back to the seller..

The top paid 18 teams have approximately 1.5 mill in space or less, in the bottom 13 teams there are only 4 teams that are projected to make the playoffs... seems like this years tradcentre will be the most boring yet

What are you opinions?
Montreal has quite a bit of caproom plus extra picks and prospect capital. Near the 50 contract limit. I expect them to add if still in it at deadline.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Buff retires the Jets currently have 6.7 million in cap space even if they don't trade anyone away.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
While any team can add if they also move salary out, I think the teams that will have the easiest time adding and will be playoff teams are going to be Washington, Colorado, Winnipeg, and Nashville.

Teams will free up cap space during the year as well, the top teams will always find a way to add at least some depth players at the deadline.

I suspect you may be making the mistake of looking at Capfriendly and not realizing Kuznetsov comes back from his suspension next week, after which Washington will be cap challenged going forward.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Buff retires, then the Jet's would have room for a really good player at the deadline (or before)

I honestly don't mean to sound like I'm trying to stir up drama, but if Buff doesn't come back I really don't see how the Jets make the playoffs. Unless their goaltending does a 180 and they win a Vesina and a number of their blueliners step up in a big way and Morisey is nominated for a Noris I don't get how it works out well for them.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I honestly don't mean to sound like I'm trying to stir up drama, but if Buff doesn't come back I really don't see how the Jets make the playoffs. Unless their goaltending does a 180 and they win a Vesina and a number of their blueliners step up in a big way and Morisey is nominated for a Noris I don't get how it works out well for them.
I've always liked Buff. He's easy to like, and totally overrated.

Who's your team, btw? I'd like to have a crack at dismissing their chances.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think this years deadline will ne interesting as we'll see more players for player trades as opposed to the traditional rental deals

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lots of teams can so long as you have a good number of 1-year deals that you can move out. The deadline sellers don't really care that much about taking on someone's salary for 1/4 of a season and then its off the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad